As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What to do with broken Plasma?

BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So my two month old 58" plasma is out of commision now. Apparently those things are more fragile than I thought. Insurance will not cover it. How can I throw this behemoth away?

Buddies on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Most big box retailers will take it away to recycle it if you buy a new TV from them. If you aren't buying retail, certainly look into electronic recycling. Depending on your area, there are free services and non-free services. But if you want to be nice to the envrionment, you might not have a choice.

So what about it is broken?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    A cracked screen. Flying controller hit it on the left side, and it spiderwebbed in three different spots. Screen fizzeled and shut off forever.

Buddies on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You may be able to get it fixed

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You may be able to get it fixed

a new glass screen
    re-gassing
    + installation
    is almost certainly going to cost the same or above what he paid for the unit initially.

can't hurt to get an estimate though!

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It'll be way too much to get it repaired. I sold my broken Samsung 32'' LCD on eBay and made 200 bucks on it.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Generally, hazardous waste.

If you're in California, it's free, as the disposal fee for it has already been paid.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You could also post a free listing on craigslist. Shit will be gone in an hour.
    Of course you do risk the person getting it saying "fuck this" and throwing it away.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I read somewhere that Apple stores have started accepting all used electronics for recycling, even non-Apple products. Not sure if they would take a giant plasma though.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Definitely just post an ad on Craigslist and/or Kijiji to see if anyone wants a broken TV. A lot of people collect these things for parts.

You might be able to make a few bucks from it, or at the very least they'll pick it up and haul it away for you.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks. I think passing it on to someone else is what I am going to do.

I feel like a jerk about how depressed this damn TV is making me. My house doesn't feel like my home anymore cause I do not have the luxury of turning on a TV to fill the empty space with noise. Luckily I did just buy the home and that tax credit can get me a new one, but I'll be without a TV for a few weeks(going on my 8th week from when I amended my tax return).

Anyone live in VA Beach and want a broken Plasma?

Buddies on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Seriously, just put an ad on craigslist. Same thing happened to me and I made a cl post about it, in less than 2 hours I had 30 messages from people wanting it. I had to screen to make sure someone wasn't just going to throw it away, but most people wanted it for parts. I guess there's a few parts in it worth over a couple hundred dollars.

Dark_Side on