As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

looking for a new WIRED keyboard

BarcardiBarcardi All the WizardsUnder A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
Ok for the life of me i cannot find a good wired keyboard. Right now i have a Microsoft wireless, and its nice. But it is impossible to play with games as holding down buttons for a long amount of time sometimes stick, and even more impossible to use for work (shortcuts in 3dmax, revit, autocad)... i type too fast/sloppy i guess and the keystrokes do not register, or they stick.

So i figure that i need a new keyboard, but i want to play it safe and get a wired one so i can make sure that my current issues are not wireless related. So i go to a place like best buy or frys and all they have are the new Microsoft and logiteck wireless keyboard bundles.

So i am looking for recommendations on what to get for a wired keyboard. Do good ones still exist? Do ergonomic ones still exist?

Barcardi on

• Options
    KingLampshadeKingLampshade regular
    edited June 2009
    I have Logitech G11 on this machine. Square and no fancy ergonomics, but works well enough and plenty of extra buttons I need to program for my games one of these days. Plus it has blue key lights, my only real issue is that it is a rather big board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109149

Haven't tried this but it looks like a good low cost simple ergonomic design.

KingLampshade on
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."
    British publisher and writer Ernest Benn [1875-1954]
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a really awesome Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro, but it's ancient and probably not made or sold anymore. It's a battleship, strong, good layout, good multimedia keys...

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man... the absolutely basic Logitech keyboards are just great. They're like $10-15, feel great, and get the job done.

I don't need a $200 keyboard with LCD screens and shit on it...

I need a keyboard with keys that input my commands.

Either way, that's what the Logitech G13 gamepad and G9 Mouse is for ;)

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I really don't get this shit with wireless keyboards. I can understand mice (kind of), but keyboards?

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can cut down on the asthetic clutter.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wired_4_20090306.jpg

Yes, I know it's an Apple keyboard but I love mine. It's fucking tiny but has full-size keys and types and play games wonderfully.

(Although I have the wireless version)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've used this for a few years and it has worked perfectly well.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    if i were to get a g13... damn i just dont feel comfortable getting something like that.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You say you have a Fry's nearby? Did you look on the very bottom shelf of the keyboard section? I find it hard to believe that your location doesn't sell any of the generic $5 beige keyboards.

Last time I bought a keyboard that's where I went. Most of the newer ones had those over sized <enter> key or the backspace, /, or \ in the wrong place/size. But there, in a plain generic brown box was just a normal keyboard with the normal layout. I bought three, am using the second, and still have one to spare just in case. I just inspected it and can find no manufacturer information, just Made in China (shocker) and a model number KB-9908, which Google says is eMachine related.

travathian on
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823227003

I just ordered this one because I was looking for a backlit keyboard and this was half the price when compared to the rest of them. I actually got it for 30 bucks and I'm in Canada so I'm sure you can find a better price.

Supposedly build quality is great like what you'd expect from OCZ, the one downside I can see is the backspace isn't a double key.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was wondering what they would have displaced to the top row to make backspace not a double key. So I looked at the photos.

A big, old-fashioned boot-shaped enter, huh.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ^^^^

That right there is the bs I am talking about. WTF, down with over sized enter keys, this isn't the 70's or 80's damnit!

travathian on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gah, been looking all day. At this point i feel like i am going to have to make my own keyboard or something.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This keyboard is made of win and awesome:

pckeyboards_2029_635337.jpg

It's a Unicomp Customizer.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    This keyboard is made of win and awesome:

pckeyboards_2029_635337.jpg

It's a Unicomp Customizer.

I had one of those, it was the best keyboard I've ever owned. But I got drunk less than a couple weeks after I got it and spilled beer in it and ruined it. That was the worst morning ever, waking up and finding out the keyboard was totally fucked. :cry:

Get one of these if you can afford it and don't mind the loud clicking (I loved it, personally).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    nek4000mini.jpg

Obtain a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. It really helps out a lot with RSI, and after you spend a while adjusting and getting back to your old typing speed, you'll start preferring it to flat keyboards. Jeff Atwood approves of it.

(Between this keyboard and my Trackman mouse, my roommate is the only person around who can even consider using my computer. :wink:)

Frem on
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

I had one of those, it was the best keyboard I've ever owned. But I got drunk less than a couple weeks after I got it and spilled beer in it and ruined it. That was the worst morning ever, waking up and finding out the keyboard was totally fucked. :cry:

Get one of these if you can afford it and don't mind the loud clicking (I loved it, personally).

If it's based on the Model M keyboard, it should be possible to clean it. I just took apart a Model M that I obtained, and the design is such that you pretty much have to immerse it to get water into the buckling spring mechanism. There's a ~1.5 cm tall cylinder under each key that surrounds the buckling spring. I'm not sure about that one, but mine also had drainage channels that would route liquids through a hole on the bottom of the keyboard, too

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    SunstrandSunstrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is what I've been using since my logitech keyboard crapped out on me. Saitek Eclipse II . It glows 3 colors that can be adjusted for color and brightness and it fells great for gaming and typing.

Sunstrand on
    BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm with maximumzero. I bought an aluminum Apple keyboard for my desktop, and there is no going back. I seriously cannot use a keyboard now that doesn't have chiclet style keys. The wired Apple keyboard I have is larger than the picture that was posted, it has a full numpad area and full arrow keys. I think they are like $50, but well worth it. You also get 2 extra USB ports of out it.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    kpeezykpeezy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    Man, I really don't get this shit with wireless keyboards. I can understand mice (kind of), but keyboards?

They're laggy. At least, every wireless keyboard I've tried is laggy. That doesn't include bluetooth keyboards... I was surprised but there wasn't noticeable lag with the one bluetooth keyboard I tried out.

But yes, wireless keyboards suck.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    SSBB: 5370-1223-4258
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kpeezy wrote: »

They're laggy. At least, every wireless keyboard I've tried is laggy. That doesn't include bluetooth keyboards... I was surprised but there wasn't noticeable lag with the one bluetooth keyboard I tried out.

I use my computer with an HDTV, with me on the couch. From a distance of 6 feet, every single keyboard/mouse thing I've tried hasn't worked. Wireless, bluetooth, Microsoft, Logitech, all lagged, dropped keys/connection, etc. Finally gave up and got USB-extensions. The CLOSEST thing I've had to success so far was the way overpriced Logitech diNovo Edge. It MOSTLY worked for my general WOW playing back when I was on that, but after wiping an instance when it dropped once I've been on wired keyboards for anything that requires reliability.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Man... the absolutely basic Logitech keyboards are just great. They're like $10-15, feel great, and get the job done.

I don't need a $200 keyboard with LCD screens and shit on it...

I need a keyboard with keys that input my commands.

Either way, that's what the Logitech G13 gamepad and G9 Mouse is for ;)

Seconding this. I got a basic Logitech keyboard for about....$20 or so and I have no complaints.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »
    kpeezy wrote: »

I use my computer with an HDTV, with me on the couch. From a distance of 6 feet, every single keyboard/mouse thing I've tried hasn't worked. Wireless, bluetooth, Microsoft, Logitech, all lagged, dropped keys/connection, etc. Finally gave up and got USB-extensions. The CLOSEST thing I've had to success so far was the way overpriced Logitech diNovo Edge. It MOSTLY worked for my general WOW playing back when I was on that, but after wiping an instance when it dropped once I've been on wired keyboards for anything that requires reliability.

I'm using some basic Logitech wireless keyboard now and it's actually pretty great. I always stayed away from them because I heard bad things about them being laggy, needing lots of batteries, etc., but I haven't noticed anything like that. I still play FPS's and it's been fine, and the batteries have lasted months without needing to be replaced. Just saying they may not all be bad if they're not 6 feet away from the computer.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    warmepwarmep Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    nek4000mini.jpg

Obtain a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. It really helps out a lot with RSI, and after you spend a while adjusting and getting back to your old typing speed, you'll start preferring it to flat keyboards. Jeff Atwood approves of it.

(Between this keyboard and my Trackman mouse, my roommate is the only person around who can even consider using my computer. :wink:)

If you want a good, inexpensive ergonomic keyboard, I would go with the Microsoft 4000, they can be had for around $25 + shipping. My brother has had 2 so far, and highly recommends them. They're well built, and although I am not an ergo keyboard kinda guy, I think it's pretty comfortable.

warmep on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sometimes I have the most horrible dreams. Or maybe they are real. Do dead men dream?
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    warmep wrote: »
    nek4000mini.jpg

If you want a good, inexpensive ergonomic keyboard, I would go with the Microsoft 4000, they can be had for around $25 + shipping. My brother has had 2 so far, and highly recommends them. They're well built, and although I am not an ergo keyboard kinda guy, I think it's pretty comfortable.

What the hell is the big, black buttonthing in the center?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    warmep wrote: »
    nek4000mini.jpg

What the hell is the big, black buttonthing in the center?

That is a little one-axis joystick type thing marked "zoom." You can rig it up to act like a scroll wheel. I don't really use it, but it doesn't get in the way, either.

Frem on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Another vote in for an Apple chicklet-style. If the one posted is too small for you, you can get one with a numpad and all that good stuff for the same price.

Alternatively, an IBM Model M.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Another vote in for an Apple chicklet-style. If the one posted is too small for you, you can get one with a numpad and all that good stuff for the same price.

The chicklet style is nice. It can be a little hard for some people because it's more difficult to feel the location of the keys. (only for some people) The other issue is that the cord is short because it was designed to be plugged into something sitting on your desk (Apple display or iMac) so you would need a USB extension cord. Also, the location of the ALT key is different from PC keyboards.

Some of the advantages are support for multiple key presses (up to 5 as opposed to 3 for most keyboards), its relatively comfortable to use and it's very compact. The frame is very sturdy. Also, the USB ports are handy. I jammed the wireless receiver for my logitech mouse in one. The ports are slightly recessed so its kind of hidden. Really cool...

I picked one up really cheap from an Apple retailer because it was open box. Apparently a costumer wanted a bluetooth keyboard with his new iMac so they just swapped the keyboard out of the box and sold it for $30.

lilB on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Apple aluminum keyboard I got (wired, full with numpad) came with an extension cord.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    The Apple aluminum keyboard I got (wired, full with numpad) came with an extension cord.

Yeah, they typically package in the extension cord for the Mac Pro users, because otherwise you're computer is within 2 feet.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Esh on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

Speaking of Model M's, has anyone had any experience with the Unicomp SpaceSaver?

Kris on
  • Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yeah, they typically package in the extension cord for the Mac Pro users, because otherwise you're computer is within 2 feet.

Oh I see. I was wondering about that. I guess mine didn't because it came packaged with an iMac.

lilB on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    lilB wrote: »

Oh I see. I was wondering about that. I guess mine didn't because it came packaged with an iMac.

Bingo. 95% of the time you're not more than a few feet from the iMac, so the USB port is right there. When you buy the keyboard separately or when it's packaged with the Mac Pro a USB extension is included.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »
    if i were to get a g13... damn i just dont feel comfortable getting something like that.

The G11's are well priced.

They are exceptionally useful with their Macro board which is easily programmed and useful with shit like CAD for macros.

If you want to save further money you can get the version without the LCD screen.

Don't bother getting the one with the colour screen, that just borders on the ridiculous.

Blake T on
  • Options
    kurokazekurokaze Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Someone actually had a good experience with Unicomp?

I got a Customizer many years ago because it was the only keyboard I could find without Windows keys (and consequently larger ctrl and alt keys with slightly different placement). I had an ancient one I was using at the time - just a Compaq bundled PS/2 keyboard circa 1993 - but I expected it to die at any moment and was looking for its successor.

The damn thing was completely unusable. The keys simply did not function in the way one would expect. It had the superficial look and feel of a Model M, sure, but for the keys to register, they required additional pressure beyond simply being pressed enough to click. It was usable for typing, and I figured that's all they tested it with, but any kind of game was unplayable because you'd have to concentrate on making sure enough pressure is held down on any key you're trying to hold down. I'm talking a pretty considerable amount of pressure.

I guess they changed the model slightly afterward, though, since the picture above has Windows keys. Kind of defeats the purpose though. But the holdout market probably has pretty much died by now.

(The Unicomp died a horrible death by melting in my car. The Compaq lasted about five more years and was finally replaced less than a year ago by this, with the left Windows key removed, of course.)

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Are you kidding? The Unicomp was the best keyboard I've ever had the pleasure of using, I'd have gotten another but they're a tad expensive and I needed a new one immediately. I was making up excuses just so I could type on it, I liked it that much. Shopping list? I'll do it! Just bored? I'll type out random shit in notepad! Install Typing of the Dead? Fuck yes!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well fuck da haters, I love my new model G15. Fantastic feedback from the keys, great media buttons, and the LCD screen is... kinda cool I guess. Backlight is nice too.

I use the macro buttons only occaisionally - they're handy with WoW, and they're bound to a few things for photoshop too.

It's a lot less cumbersome than the old blue-backlighted one.

G15Keyboard2_726751.jpg

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We bought that ergonomic Microsoft keyboard for one of our home computers, but we got a logitech Wave instead and that thing is amazing.

I'm sorta happy the first thing was defective now. I wish I could post a photo but I'm browsing on my phone.

Edit: oh, I can.. awesome.
    logitech-wave.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    God, I hate wavey keyboards.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png