As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bongeons and Boneons and boners

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well you probably should have like

Opened the book and thumbed through it at the store before you bought it then

Straightzi on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You don't like the sorcerer? Don't knock any of the classes until you've seen them in action.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really should have, but I just didn't have time.

I had a party in twenty minutes that I had to get ready for, and this was my only chance I had to get a summer reading book (The Color of Magic), so I ended up buying the PH2 as well, without giving it a skim first.

Now I'm just kicking myself in the ass for not reading through it first.

Ah well, at least I got a Discworld book out of it, right?

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tommy, give it a chance.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Never

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Seriously

Shit is aces all around

And what the fuck is this you not liking any of the primal classes?

You some kinda racist?

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    N-no

At least, I don't think I am....

Oh god I'm a racist

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Tommy needs to take a sensitivity class

he'll have to play a gnome barbarian

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MY FAMILY WILL KILL ME

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    :( small barbarians

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    make 'im take the bastard sword feat

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Dubh wrote: »
    make 'im take the bastard sword feat

you dick

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    1d10 damage

as much a greatsword

it just takes a feat

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    halfling fighter is the best character

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Things in D&D that interest Tommy:

-Changelings
    -Psions
    -Warforged
    -The new undead guys
    -Cool stuff

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Things in D&D that interest Tommy:

-Changelings
    -Psions
    -Warforged
    -The new undead guys
    -Cool stuff

Good, you should love the PHB2

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, so you're that guy. Well, I suppose there's still hope.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Have you considered playing a game about robots and spies and psychics

Like, a not D&D game

Because if you are into robots and spies and psychics instead of crazy motherfuckers with huge fucking swords going fuckin' berserk as shit and screaming about bears I could see D&D not being the best fit for you

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Colour of Magic is too short to be summer reading.

You need like 20 discworld books. Do it.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Straightzi:
    No, I love D&D so far, it's just that I was really looking forward to the new races in this book, and that kinda let me down, still, I've only skimmed it so far, and my opinions are prone to change rapidly. I'll give it a good read through tommorow maybe

VI:
    I'm aiming to read a bunch of the Discworld books this summer, it's just that I need one to read in my summer school class, and they didn't have Small Gods in stock

Utsanomiko:

:(

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Straightzi:
    No, I love D&D so far, it's just that I was really looking forward to the new races in this book, and that kinda let me down, still, I've only skimmed it so far, and my opinions are prone to change rapidly. I'll give it a good read through tommorow maybe

VI:
    I'm aiming to read a bunch of the Discworld books this summer, it's just that I need one to read in my summer school class, and they didn't have Small Gods in stock

Utsanomiko:

:(

How about a good playtest?

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Let me break down the player's handbook two for you son

Alright, we got some races:
    Devas- Part angel, in contrast to the tiefling's part devil. Pretty sleek for that alone, but then on top of that they are perpetually reincarnated into newer, more devatastic forms, so any given deva character has thousands of years of experience floating just below the surface.

Gnomes-So you know Eladrin, right? How they're all fey as fuck but they're that classy Oberon and Titania bullshit going all over the place. Well gnomes are like that, only sly mischievous little fuckers. Old school bogeyman house fairy shit going on, and hell, the bitches turn invisible when they get hit. That is pretty much the best.

Goliath- You think dragonborn and shit are big? You ain't seen goddamn nothing, because these motherfuckers are huge. "So?" you say, "Who cares if they're big?" Well these guys are gonna make you care because they've got skin like stone and are designed for beating the tar out of things.

Half-Orcs- Half-Orcs used to be a shitty little race of rape babies, but no, not anymore. Now they are sleek and almost attractive and can dish out damage like nobody fucking else. I cannot say enough about how good they made half-orcs, they're like everybody's favorite villain only, y'know, better.

Shifters- These dudes are pretty much in here for players who want to be playing faggy world of darkness games. But they ain't part vampire or nothing, they're part fucking therianthrope. Either wolf or tiger, your choice, but needless to say they kick as much ass as the animals they got in their veins.

Classes:
    Avengers- If you saw paladins and thought they were zealous, you ain't seen nothing yet, because avengers will rip your shit up in the name of the Lord without using some cheap ass huge fucking suit of armor or shields or nothing. Religious fucking assassins at their absolute finest.

Barbarian- Being a big fighter dude is pretty cool, right? How about a big fighter dude who sees red, hulks out and goes into a mad fucking rage, embodying all sorts of animals and mythical creatures and shit to swing around the biggest weapon he can find and destroy everything in his path?

Bard- The bard is like that pretty good musician you saw that time who really, like, moved you man. Except this one actually moves you, then enchants you, then rips your soul straight from your body with intense virtuoso power.

Druid- Alright, history lesson. The druids occupied the British isles and worshiped sick Celtic deities and practiced human sacrifice. Amongst other things, they claimed the ability to turn into animals. So guess what the druid can do? Yes, that's right, turn into animals, but not just animals, primal fucking forces of nature. That and, y'know, curse you and all your descendants to next thursday.

Invoker- The invoker has a power that forces all enemies to kneel before him or suffer intense psychic damage. They are the crazy street dudes standing on soapboxes crying about the lord to your clerical minister and priest. And they ain't faith healers either, they have ridiculous fire and brimstone shit going on.

Shaman- This is a dude who has an animal that walks around with him, except, instead of a real animal, it's a super ghost animal which he can channel his power through. He does this to ravage the shit out of his enemies with crazy magic ghost animal claws. On top of that, he will heal the shit out of you and your buddy.

Sorcerer- Wizards are kinda neat, right? They like, study magic and become really good at it and carry around big ol' spellbooks and use them a lot. Well, sorcerers are like this, only, instead of spellbooks and years of study they've got the magic in their veins. This gets better when the magic is there because of fucking dragons and primordial chaos and shit, allowing them to destroy anything in their path.

Warden- The last of the primal sorts, the warden is a big bulky fighter who then embraces nature so much that he lights on fire. And then he swings a big fucking spear over his head and all his enemies light on fire too. And then are struck by lightning and rams made of pure nature magic. The man controls the elements, and that is hardcore.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, I could play any race and any class in D&D and have fun if I'm with good people.

Are you all good people?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So in tonight's 4-hour D&D session we did not fight anyone at all.

Still had fun though.

Hooray, character interaction! Hooray, roleplaying!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I am so pumped for Seekers of the Ashen Crown

in the preview they released you apparently work with a goblin who is one of the heirs to the Dhakanni empire who has an airship or something. You then go flying around in it trying to recover the fragments of the Ashen Crown, an artifact of great power that will legitimize his claim to the empire.

The two encounters they have released involve the ship getting jumped by a Blue Dragon Skybandit and a skill challenge to disguise a dig in the middle of a market square by maintaining and disguising a market stall while the gobbos dig.

It is so great

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Let me break down the player's handbook two for you son

Alright, we got some races:
    Devas- Part angel, in contrast to the tiefling's part devil. Pretty sleek for that alone, but then on top of that they are perpetually reincarnated into newer, more devatastic forms, so any given deva character has thousands of years of experience floating just below the surface.

Gnomes-So you know Eladrin, right? How they're all fey as fuck but they're that classy Oberon and Titania bullshit going all over the place. Well gnomes are like that, only sly mischievous little fuckers. Old school bogeyman house fairy shit going on, and hell, the bitches turn invisible when they get hit. That is pretty much the best.

Goliath- You think dragonborn and shit are big? You ain't seen goddamn nothing, because these motherfuckers are huge. "So?" you say, "Who cares if they're big?" Well these guys are gonna make you care because they've got skin like stone and are designed for beating the tar out of things.

Half-Orcs- Half-Orcs used to be a shitty little race of rape babies, but no, not anymore. Now they are sleek and almost attractive and can dish out damage like nobody fucking else. I cannot say enough about how good they made half-orcs, they're like everybody's favorite villain only, y'know, better.

Shifters- These dudes are pretty much in here for players who want to be playing faggy world of darkness games. But they ain't part vampire or nothing, they're part fucking therianthrope. Either wolf or tiger, your choice, but needless to say they kick as much ass as the animals they got in their veins.

Classes:
    Avengers- If you saw paladins and thought they were zealous, you ain't seen nothing yet, because avengers will rip your shit up in the name of the Lord without using some cheap ass huge fucking suit of armor or shields or nothing. Religious fucking assassins at their absolute finest.

Barbarian- Being a big fighter dude is pretty cool, right? How about a big fighter dude who sees red, hulks out and goes into a mad fucking rage, embodying all sorts of animals and mythical creatures and shit to swing around the biggest weapon he can find and destroy everything in his path?

Bard- The bard is like that pretty good musician you saw that time who really, like, moved you man. Except this one actually moves you, then enchants you, then rips your soul straight from your body with intense virtuoso power.

Druid- Alright, history lesson. The druids occupied the British isles and worshiped sick Celtic deities and practiced human sacrifice. Amongst other things, they claimed the ability to turn into animals. So guess what the druid can do? Yes, that's right, turn into animals, but not just animals, primal fucking forces of nature. That and, y'know, curse you and all your descendants to next thursday.

Invoker- The invoker has a power that forces all enemies to kneel before him or suffer intense psychic damage. They are the crazy street dudes standing on soapboxes crying about the lord to your clerical minister and priest. And they ain't faith healers either, they have ridiculous fire and brimstone shit going on.

Shaman- This is a dude who has an animal that walks around with him, except, instead of a real animal, it's a super ghost animal which he can channel his power through. He does this to ravage the shit out of his enemies with crazy magic ghost animal claws. On top of that, he will heal the shit out of you and your buddy.

Sorcerer- Wizards are kinda neat, right? They like, study magic and become really good at it and carry around big ol' spellbooks and use them a lot. Well, sorcerers are like this, only, instead of spellbooks and years of study they've got the magic in their veins. This gets better when the magic is there because of fucking dragons and primordial chaos and shit, allowing them to destroy anything in their path.

Warden- The last of the primal sorts, the warden is a big bulky fighter who then embraces nature so much that he lights on fire. And then he swings a big fucking spear over his head and all his enemies light on fire too. And then are struck by lightning and rams made of pure nature magic. The man controls the elements, and that is hardcore.

This is going into the next OP.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh shit should I do some up for the first PHB too then?

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Do it. :^:

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Quetzi if you diss Dragonborn I will cry

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Oh shit should I do some up for the first PHB too then?

DO IT!
    DO IT!

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bonus points if you also do Drow, Genasi, Swordmage and Artificer

EDIT: Oh, and may as well throw in the Revenant.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Meet the classes

D&D edition

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Fishman wrote: »
    Bonus points if you also do Drow, Genasi, Swordmage and Artificer

EDIT: Oh, and may as well throw in the Revenant.
    Warforged, Shadar-Kai, Kalashtar and Changeling too

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'll get to them all eventually

Swearing this much about things takes work

Straightzi on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Quetzi if you diss Dragonborn I will cry

Play a Dragonborn:
    -If you want to look like a DRAGON

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Look man

I always love the lizard-people in RPGs

always

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I play reptile races to look like lizards, not dragons.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would buy the phb2, but I would only be doing it for gnomes and bards. <3

Fuck devas though. And dragonborn - in my game world, they are lizardmen.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Alright, Player's Handbook. The main shit. The shit you need to play. Here is what it has got going on for it:

Races:
    Dragonborn- Alright, at first I was like, "Pshaw, dragonborn." But no, that is incorrect. Not only do these bastards look like dragons walking around in big fucking suits of armor, they breathe fire, or acid, or what have you, and make awesome fucking battlefield commanders. Plus, despite being basically lizardlike in appearance, the chicks have huge racks.

Dwarves- Dwarves are where the shit is at. Gimli and those thirteen hobbit motherfuckers have nothing on these dwarves. Yeah, they're short, but they're still using weapons just as huge as the rest of you, and they're wearing armor like it ain't no thang at all, and the motherfuckers do not get tired. They just fucking don't.

Eladrin- Alright, elves are pretty cool. You know elves. And despite what everyone says, fairies are pretty cool. Well eladrin are kinda like both of those, only, y'know, better. They're the lords and ladies of the feywild, which is a crazy magic land straight out of A Midsummer Night's Dream and classical fairy folklore. Oh yeah, and they teleport all the fuck over the place, just for the fun of it.

Elves- Elves aren't fancy prancy sissies in D&D, not anymore at least. No, they are hardcore woodsmen, hiding in the trees with their bows and straight taking you out. And all of them can do that. They're so rad that they all just know how to use a longbow, like, naturally.

Half-Elves- Also known as half-humans, these motherfuckers are the best of the best between elves and humans. You're a human, you know how awesome you are (pretty awesome), and elves are badass forest gods, so you just gotta like half-elves. And what do you know, everyone does. They just kinda get along, despite not being a real proper race in their own right.

Halflings- These short motherfuckers ain't no lazy Baggins stock no, they are athletic motherfuckers who specialize in thievery, wildernessing, and kicking your ass. They're nimble as motherfuckers, and get out of the way of all sorts of shit you throw at them, beside being charming little bastards because they're the size of like a ten year old. A ten year old that will eat you for breakfast.

Humans- You know humans, you are one. If that doesn't sell you, well, these humans can do anything. They aren't specialized for one thing or another, no, it's your choice. They are versatile as hell, and thus are capable of being better than anyone else in so many ways it can't even be comprehended.

Tieflings- Alright so take a devil, and then take a human, and cross that shit straight up. These are humans with horns and cloven feet, and they're deceitful, wily motherfuckers. They ain't some weird crossbreed that never ever shows up either, they're all over the place. Sure, not as much as humans or nothing, but still pretty dang prolific, and total gothcandy.

Classes:
    Cleric- Alright, if you went to Catholic school you're gonna get this one easy. Think of those nuns and priests and shit who hit you with rulers. Yeah, now give them a huge fucking suit of armor, a fuckall big morningstar, and divine goddamn retribution following every strike. Burning with holy fire and shit, right there. Add in the ability to heal the hell out of you without even touching you, and you've got yourself a cleric.

Fighter- The name says it all for this dude. The motherfucker knows how to fight. He's got big weapons or he's got shields and heavy armor, or whatever, but he will knock you on your ass and curb stomp the fuck out of you with whatever it is he is using. On top of that, the bastard yells at you the whole way through, and you're so distracted you can't fight anybody but him.

Paladin- Alright, now take those first two, and make them into one dude. One dude with better armor than either of his component two. One dude who not only carries around a sword bigger than you, but also has a direct fucking line to God and holy fire raining down around him, around all of you. And he doesn't just distract you from fighting other dudes, you hit one of his bros in a fight and he's gonna hit you with that fuckall sword.

Ranger- This is a dude who knows the woods. And not in any gay hippy way, no, he just straight up knows the fucking forest. Oh yeah, and he can wreck you with his choice of weapons. Either a massive fucking Robin Hood bow, or a pair of slicing scimitars moving faster than that dude who got shot in Indiana Jones. Or, y'know, nature itself, a fucking bear. Yes, that's right, he can kill you with the power of his pet fucking bear.

Rogue- This is a stealthy as fuck dude who steals your wallet. Or a con artist who steals even more. Or a dude who just pounds on you until you give it to him. Point is, the dude knows how to steal, and knows how to fuck you up. Generally with tiny little knives and crossbows that most other people would do jack shit with, and generally before you can even see him do it.

Warlock- Alright so say you want to be a magician or something, but you don't want to be a boring old wizard buried in books. How about you sell your soul, y'know, to the devil, the faerie queen, or, y'know, the lost gods of the Necronomicon? Yeah, if you do that you become a warlock, and you have the power to throw around magical energy just for fucking kicks, and wreck dudes with their own nightmares and demonic images and shit.

Warlord- Most dudes on like, a war battlefield will probably be some mookish fighters or something, but the warlord, that is the one who knows exactly what is going on. The one who is ordering them all into the fight, on top of being in the fight himself and knocking through bad motherfuckers like paper dolls. On top of this, one fucking pat on the ass and encouraging word from this guy has you fighting for ages. Now that's some fucking charisma.

Wizard- The wizard is all about books of magic, which sounds kinda lame, I mean, you already gotta read shit to play this game, why you gonna read shit once you're playing it? I'll tell you why, it's because of the wizard. The wizard has a magic fucking book full of goddamn explosive fireballs and illusionary nightmares and shit. That is the kind of book we all want, so do your best to mimic it and play a fucking wizard

Straightzi on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have never found lizard-people interesting.

Now a race of sentient raptors...

DE?AD on
This discussion has been closed.