Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PS3 software Backwards compatibility patent filed

24

Posts

  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My theory all along was that Sony was removing BC to both save money and spur PS2 sales to the chagrin of the entire planet, and then once PS2 sales slowed to a trickle they would put it back and bask in the warm glow and adulation of people happy that they put something back they shouldn't have taken away to begin with. Guess what, Analysts say that within a year PS2 sales are going to shrink to an inconsequential number.

    Analysts also said/say Nintendo was/is doomed. DOOOOOOMED.

    So I'd take it with a grain of salt.

  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    My theory all along was that Sony was removing BC to both save money and spur PS2 sales to the chagrin of the entire planet, and then once PS2 sales slowed to a trickle they would put it back and bask in the warm glow and adulation of people happy that they put something back they shouldn't have taken away to begin with. Guess what, Analysts say that within a year PS2 sales are going to shrink to an inconsequential number.

    BC cost them next to nothing.

    It wasn't a cost move. It was done in order to get PS3 owners to stop buying/playing PS2 games, but to buy PS3 games instead. Jack Tretton actually made that exact statement himself.



    You don't make that statement unless you are covering up something even worse, man.

    Still next to nothing times 40+ million units is still a healthy chunk of change to save. I also did mention the PS2 sales. But yeah I forgot to mention that one too.

    PS2 sales were doing great before the removal of BC. Do you have anything showing that removing BC gave a spike to PS2 sales?



    As far as the cost of BC times 40 million units, A) the price of BC could easily be passed along to consumers, leaving it at ZERO extra cost to Sony, and B) how about sales lost from a lack of BC?



    The introduction of no BC PS3s came with a price drop. A price drop that fell a LOT lower than the cost of BC. Unless Sony is worried down to the nickles and dimes (which they have clearly shown elsewhere that they are not) it just doesn't add up that it was a price more.




    Also, as you seem to be ignoring, JACK TRETTON himself stated publicly that it had nothing to do with price. http://kotaku.com/gaming/spin/jack-tretton-says-dropping-bc-wasnt-for-cost-measures-312628.php

    georgersig.jpg
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    Ahh here we go. At ps3 launch EE + GS cost about $27 according to isuppli
    http://www.emsnow.com/newsarchives/archivedetails.cfm?ID=15102

    $27 * 20,000,000 = $540,000,000 That is hardly nothing.

    Those are just numbers.

    Where's the math behind them?

    Sony's 60 gig harddrives cost more than $50?

    georgersig.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    My PS2 phat from way back then still functions and plays Persona 4 to this day.

    However I want to shelve it if I were to get a PS3. Even though I have plenty of room, I'd much rather have one machine do everything than several.

    I had 3 PS2s crap out on me before buying a PS3. My fault for buying used. Except for the time I bought new, of course.

    To Sony's credit, though, the failing PS2s spurred me into buying a PS3, even indirectly. Brilliant strategy.

    I was always under the impression that it was to encourage PS3 game sales--that, and Sony's very odd way of addressing problems in its business models, the equivalent of cutting off a finger because you don't like the way a ring looks on it.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    My PS2 phat from way back then still functions and plays Persona 4 to this day.

    However I want to shelve it if I were to get a PS3. Even though I have plenty of room, I'd much rather have one machine do everything than several.

    I had 3 PS2s crap out on me before buying a PS3. My fault for buying used. Except for the time I bought new, of course.

    To Sony's credit, though, the failing PS2s spurred me into buying a PS3, even indirectly. Brilliant strategy.

    Oddly enough, breaking PS2s have actually been spurring folks in to buying 360s these days, since most of the PS2 franchises are there, and it's not like they could keep playing their old games if they bought a PS3. Also, 360 is hundreds of dollars cheaper.



    Sony needs to get their act together. I don't want to see this market not have any competition in it.

    georgersig.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    My PS2 phat from way back then still functions and plays Persona 4 to this day.

    However I want to shelve it if I were to get a PS3. Even though I have plenty of room, I'd much rather have one machine do everything than several.

    I had 3 PS2s crap out on me before buying a PS3. My fault for buying used. Except for the time I bought new, of course.

    To Sony's credit, though, the failing PS2s spurred me into buying a PS3, even indirectly. Brilliant strategy.

    Oddly enough, breaking PS2s have actually been spurring folks in to buying 360s these days, since most of the PS2 franchises are there, and it's not like they could keep playing their old games if they bought a PS3. Also, 360 is hundreds of dollars cheaper.



    Sony needs to get their act together. I don't want to see this market not have any competition in it.

    I don't think the competition would be disappearing too soon. I waited almost 4 years after the PS2 launch before I purchased one (which means I went through 3 PS2s in the same number of years, I guess?), and I still bought a PS3 eventually.

    Granted, I bought it used. And I bought the only game I own for it used. Which means, until I finally get around to buying a DS3, Sony will not have seen a single cent of my money for the PS3 product line? o_O Of course, someone else paid them for it, I imagine.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    My PS2 phat from way back then still functions and plays Persona 4 to this day.

    However I want to shelve it if I were to get a PS3. Even though I have plenty of room, I'd much rather have one machine do everything than several.

    I had 3 PS2s crap out on me before buying a PS3. My fault for buying used. Except for the time I bought new, of course.

    To Sony's credit, though, the failing PS2s spurred me into buying a PS3, even indirectly. Brilliant strategy.

    Oddly enough, breaking PS2s have actually been spurring folks in to buying 360s these days, since most of the PS2 franchises are there, and it's not like they could keep playing their old games if they bought a PS3. Also, 360 is hundreds of dollars cheaper.


    Sony needs to get their act together. I don't want to see this market not have any competition in it.

    I don't think the competition would be disappearing too soon. I waited almost 4 years after the PS2 launch before I purchased one (which means I went through 3 PS2s in the same number of years, I guess?), and I still bought a PS3 eventually.

    Granted, I bought it used. And I bought the only game I own for it used. Which means, until I finally get around to buying a DS3, Sony will not have seen a single cent of my money for the PS3 product line? o_O Of course, someone else paid them for it, I imagine.

    you know, used DS3s are, like, ten to fifteen bucks cheaper

    georgersig.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    My PS2 phat from way back then still functions and plays Persona 4 to this day.

    However I want to shelve it if I were to get a PS3. Even though I have plenty of room, I'd much rather have one machine do everything than several.

    I had 3 PS2s crap out on me before buying a PS3. My fault for buying used. Except for the time I bought new, of course.

    To Sony's credit, though, the failing PS2s spurred me into buying a PS3, even indirectly. Brilliant strategy.

    Oddly enough, breaking PS2s have actually been spurring folks in to buying 360s these days, since most of the PS2 franchises are there, and it's not like they could keep playing their old games if they bought a PS3. Also, 360 is hundreds of dollars cheaper.


    Sony needs to get their act together. I don't want to see this market not have any competition in it.

    I don't think the competition would be disappearing too soon. I waited almost 4 years after the PS2 launch before I purchased one (which means I went through 3 PS2s in the same number of years, I guess?), and I still bought a PS3 eventually.

    Granted, I bought it used. And I bought the only game I own for it used. Which means, until I finally get around to buying a DS3, Sony will not have seen a single cent of my money for the PS3 product line? o_O Of course, someone else paid them for it, I imagine.

    you know, used DS3s are, like, ten to fifteen bucks cheaper

    Yeah, but there's something about controllers that always causes me to buy them new. To be honest, I do treat them somewhat roughly as well.

    Then again, I've been putting it off for a while, and just using the crappy SixAxis that came with the console. Basically, every time I think about it, it's always "Okay, I could buy a DS3...or another Xbox 360 game. Yeah, that's a tough one..."

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    These aren't just numbers ....
    iSuppli tracks unique datasets such as contract terms and conditions, pipeline inventories, and component pricing to allow clients to instantly pinpoint specific actions to enhance performance by using their databases, tools and market analysis reporting improve clients decision making when to perform each of these endeavors.

    isuppli is a well regarded company that tracks electrical component costs. They do teardowns of all sorts of electronics and are generally right on the money. The 20 million number I just pulled out of my ass since I think that is around how many ps3s there are in the US at this point. But the important bit is that PS2 BC was costing Sony $27 per machine at the time of launch. When you multiply that by a few million it becomes a significant number.

    And yes back in 2006 a 60GB laptop hardrive cost about $50.

    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

    Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    My PS2 phat from way back then still functions and plays Persona 4 to this day.

    However I want to shelve it if I were to get a PS3. Even though I have plenty of room, I'd much rather have one machine do everything than several.

    I had 3 PS2s crap out on me before buying a PS3. My fault for buying used. Except for the time I bought new, of course.

    To Sony's credit, though, the failing PS2s spurred me into buying a PS3, even indirectly. Brilliant strategy.

    Oddly enough, breaking PS2s have actually been spurring folks in to buying 360s these days, since most of the PS2 franchises are there, and it's not like they could keep playing their old games if they bought a PS3. Also, 360 is hundreds of dollars cheaper.


    Sony needs to get their act together. I don't want to see this market not have any competition in it.

    I don't think the competition would be disappearing too soon. I waited almost 4 years after the PS2 launch before I purchased one (which means I went through 3 PS2s in the same number of years, I guess?), and I still bought a PS3 eventually.

    Granted, I bought it used. And I bought the only game I own for it used. Which means, until I finally get around to buying a DS3, Sony will not have seen a single cent of my money for the PS3 product line? o_O Of course, someone else paid them for it, I imagine.

    you know, used DS3s are, like, ten to fifteen bucks cheaper

    They're also $10-15 cheaper on Amazon. New.

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dracil wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    My PS2 phat from way back then still functions and plays Persona 4 to this day.

    However I want to shelve it if I were to get a PS3. Even though I have plenty of room, I'd much rather have one machine do everything than several.

    I had 3 PS2s crap out on me before buying a PS3. My fault for buying used. Except for the time I bought new, of course.

    To Sony's credit, though, the failing PS2s spurred me into buying a PS3, even indirectly. Brilliant strategy.

    Oddly enough, breaking PS2s have actually been spurring folks in to buying 360s these days, since most of the PS2 franchises are there, and it's not like they could keep playing their old games if they bought a PS3. Also, 360 is hundreds of dollars cheaper.


    Sony needs to get their act together. I don't want to see this market not have any competition in it.

    I don't think the competition would be disappearing too soon. I waited almost 4 years after the PS2 launch before I purchased one (which means I went through 3 PS2s in the same number of years, I guess?), and I still bought a PS3 eventually.

    Granted, I bought it used. And I bought the only game I own for it used. Which means, until I finally get around to buying a DS3, Sony will not have seen a single cent of my money for the PS3 product line? o_O Of course, someone else paid them for it, I imagine.

    you know, used DS3s are, like, ten to fifteen bucks cheaper

    They're also $10-15 cheaper on Amazon. New.

    Good point. But then again....so are a lot of Xbox 360 games I want to play.

    Seriously, though, I will actually buy one. I miss rumble on PS2 games and the PS1 game I managed to dig up.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    These aren't just numbers ....
    iSuppli tracks unique datasets such as contract terms and conditions, pipeline inventories, and component pricing to allow clients to instantly pinpoint specific actions to enhance performance by using their databases, tools and market analysis reporting improve clients decision making when to perform each of these endeavors.

    isuppli is a well regarded company that tracks electrical component costs. They do teardowns of all sorts of electronics and are generally right on the money. The 20 million number I just pulled out of my ass since I think that is around how many ps3s there are in the US at this point. But the important bit is that PS2 BC was costing Sony $27 per machine at the time of launch. When you multiply that by a few million it becomes a significant number.

    And yes back in 2006 a 60GB laptop hardrive cost about $50.


    I don't care if isuppli is run by the pope

    I like to see something behind numbers before just accepting them. As I already pointed out, some of the numbers don't seem to make sense on the surface (the HDD prices really do seem high)

    georgersig.jpg
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    These aren't just numbers ....
    iSuppli tracks unique datasets such as contract terms and conditions, pipeline inventories, and component pricing to allow clients to instantly pinpoint specific actions to enhance performance by using their databases, tools and market analysis reporting improve clients decision making when to perform each of these endeavors.

    isuppli is a well regarded company that tracks electrical component costs. They do teardowns of all sorts of electronics and are generally right on the money. The 20 million number I just pulled out of my ass since I think that is around how many ps3s there are in the US at this point. But the important bit is that PS2 BC was costing Sony $27 per machine at the time of launch. When you multiply that by a few million it becomes a significant number.

    And yes back in 2006 a 60GB laptop hardrive cost about $50.

    Hardware BC. Not software.

    And as it has been said multiple times. Sony did not remove BC for cost reasons.

    linksig.jpg
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    galenblade wrote: »
    greeble wrote: »
    These aren't just numbers ....
    iSuppli tracks unique datasets such as contract terms and conditions, pipeline inventories, and component pricing to allow clients to instantly pinpoint specific actions to enhance performance by using their databases, tools and market analysis reporting improve clients decision making when to perform each of these endeavors.

    isuppli is a well regarded company that tracks electrical component costs. They do teardowns of all sorts of electronics and are generally right on the money. The 20 million number I just pulled out of my ass since I think that is around how many ps3s there are in the US at this point. But the important bit is that PS2 BC was costing Sony $27 per machine at the time of launch. When you multiply that by a few million it becomes a significant number.

    And yes back in 2006 a 60GB laptop hardrive cost about $50.

    Hardware BC. Not software.

    And as it has been said multiple times. Sony did not remove BC for cost reasons.

    also, multipling the componant cost by the number of units ignores the fact that Sony is SELLING these machines.

    If Sony offered a PS3 with no BC for $400, and a PS3 with BC for $410 dollars, do you think no one would buy the latter?

    georgersig.jpg
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Why can't they emulate the GS, but can emulate the EE? Has a specific technical reason ever been stated, instead of "it's hard and we haven't figured it out yet"?

    There are some PS2 emu projects online that are coming along really nicely, one of them has 1119 titles fully playable out of a list of a little over 2000, so it makes me really curious as to how far along Sony is.

  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Reznik wrote: »
    Why can't they emulate the GS, but can emulate the EE? Has a specific technical reason ever been stated, instead of "it's hard and we haven't figured it out yet"?

    There are some PS2 emu projects online that are coming along really nicely, one of them has 1119 titles fully playable out of a list of a little over 2000, so it makes me really curious as to how far along Sony is.

    My impression from reading the gaf version of this thread is that the main problem is memory bandwidth.

    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Reznik wrote: »
    Why can't they emulate the GS, but can emulate the EE? Has a specific technical reason ever been stated, instead of "it's hard and we haven't figured it out yet"?

    There are some PS2 emu projects online that are coming along really nicely, one of them has 1119 titles fully playable out of a list of a little over 2000, so it makes me really curious as to how far along Sony is.

    My impression from reading the gaf version of this thread is that the main problem is memory bandwidth.

    I can never make heads or tails of those gaf threads because of all the fanboys in there stating things as fact that aren't.



    Why would it be that the PS2 chips are so far advanced beyond anything in the PS3 or home PCs coming out ten years later?

    georgersig.jpg
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander, I do not have access to electronic part supply costs from 2006. I'm not going to try to find them just to convince you. (iSuppli seems to be good enough for everyone else in the industry, but not you... )

    And if you don't think the costs of the GS and EE were part of it, then why did they remove other unneeded stuff like the card readers and 2 of the usb ports. Its obvious they were trying to cut costs in every possible ways.
    Why would it be that the PS2 chips are so far advanced beyond anything in the PS3 or home PCs coming out ten years later?
    Not advanced, just specialized.

    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

    Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    Evander, I do not have access to electronic part supply costs from 2006. I'm not going to try to find them just to convince you. (iSuppli seems to be good enough for everyone else in the industry, but not you... )

    And if you don't think the costs of the GS and EE were part of it, then why did they remove other unneeded stuff like the card readers and 2 of the usb ports. Its obvious they were trying to cut costs in every possible ways.
    Why would it be that the PS2 chips are so far advanced beyond anything in the PS3 or home PCs coming out ten years later?
    Not advanced, just specialized.

    Well, for a start, they didn't remove the GS and EE in 2006. They removed the GS in (I believe) early 2007, and the EE in late 2007. Componant prices fluctuate.

    Secondly, I don't trust anything an analyst tells me without seeing their analysis. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, man.



    Why did they remove card readers? Well, seeing as card readers cost next to nothing, that's actually a pretty good question. My guess there is that it probably WAS price cuts, in regards to redesigning the motherboard, combined with the fact that any functuality gained through the card readers was STILL perfectly available through use of a USB stick (can't say the same for alternate routes of BC)



    Why is it that you're completely ignoring Tretton's own statement, though? Maybe isuppli DOES know what's up, but I'm pretty sure that Tretton gets to see the ACTUAL price tags, not just attempt to extrapolate them from a variety of tangential sources.

    georgersig.jpg
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I do think it was a combination of the two of those things. BC was costing Sony a few bucks per ps3 sold and they had sad they were trying to bring down its price as fast as possible. They were also worrying about the unprofitable PS3's cutting into sales on profitable PS2s.

    So yeah compared to the potential profit lost on a ps2 the loss on the BC is nothing. However the fact that they were looking to cut costs for everything that wasn't core to the ps3 makes me think it would get cut anyway.

    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

    Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    Why would it be that the PS2 chips are so far advanced beyond anything in the PS3 or home PCs coming out ten years later?
    Not advanced, just specialized.

    Imagine you have a hang glider. And a skateboard. And you want to have the hang glider also double as a skateboard.

    Ok, terrible analogy.

    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If the PS3 had good backwards compatibility (better than the 360) AND they could reduce the price just a little further, I'd be interested.

    Right now I have a fat ps2 + hard drive and loaded all my games onto there. It's really nice not having to swap a single disk from my game cabinet. Load times are improved. Component or not, the games are painful to the eyes on a larger HDTV. Blu-Ray players hit the sub $200 price range and PC Blu-Ray drives can be had for around $80 now.

    There's just not enough PS3 exclusives that interest me. A couple would like to play games like Ratchet, Valk Chronicles and Uncharted. Hell, I chose to buy a PSP + Memstick + Extended Battery + accessories for just a little less than the cost of a PS3 last December.

    XBOX Live Tag: Solsovly
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    Why would it be that the PS2 chips are so far advanced beyond anything in the PS3 or home PCs coming out ten years later?
    Not advanced, just specialized.

    Imagine you have a hang glider. And a skateboard. And you want to have the hang glider also double as a skateboard.

    Ok, terrible analogy.

    >.> I'll be right back, I.. I have to go try something.

    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I mean no disrespect when I say this but if you think the PS2 looks bad on a HDTV either your TV is poor at upscaling or you haven't put the right settings into your TV. The PS2 gives a better picture output than the Wii, it should look decent even on LCDs.

    I am firmly in the camp that if you wanted to play PS2 games that badly you'd have a PS2 already (you can get one for the price of a HD game bundled with games and accessories off ebay) or you'd have shelled out for a BC PS3 when they were still being made. Yes a working PS2 emulator on PS3 would be nice but I don't understand all the hoopla over it. It's not like a PS2 takes up much space.

    *and the Gamecube looks better than both of them through VGA or Component ;)

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    *and the Gamecube looks better than both of them through VGA or Component ;)

    And in turn, the oXbox easily beats them both with 720p and 1080i support through component. :winky:

    Though honestly, most of the games that could do that were also available on PC. No surprise there.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow YRP...in position It's showtime, girls.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    *and the Gamecube looks better than both of them through VGA or Component ;)

    Cool, well good luck playing Persona 3/4 or most of the good PS2 games on the Gamecube.

    kTNzrVi.png?2
    Disasterrific! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »
    *and the Gamecube looks better than both of them through VGA or Component ;)

    And in turn, the oXbox easily beats them both with 720p and 1080i support through component. :winky:

    Though honestly, most of the games that could do that were also available on PC. No surprise there.

    For 480i/p content though the Gamecube trumps the Xbox. Really beautiful image.
    Moioink wrote: »
    *and the Gamecube looks better than both of them through VGA or Component ;)

    Cool, well good luck playing Persona 3/4 or most of the good PS2 games on the Gamecube.

    Just a point of comparison that's all. :(

  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User
    edited July 2009
    DS3?

    Also I'm glad I got my BC PS3, 3 years back with some games and other accessories for like $450 shipped? I want to say its a 60gb or 40 gb... I can't remember.

    daleyk.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »
    *and the Gamecube looks better than both of them through VGA or Component ;)

    And in turn, the oXbox easily beats them both with 720p and 1080i support through component. :winky:

    Though honestly, most of the games that could do that were also available on PC. No surprise there.

    For 480i/p content though the Gamecube trumps the Xbox. Really beautiful image.

    Well, that's like, your opinion, man.

    Personally, the 720p beats anything on the Gamecube easily, but years of playing at PC resolutions have spoiled me.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    They were nutters to take it out in the first place.

    Limed so hard.

    For reals. There are PS2 games out there I would buy right now if my PS3 could play them.... I have no intention of buying a PS2 for this purpose.

    3DS Friend Code: 0817-5033-8184 // Nintendo Network ID: AbsoluteZero
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    They were nutters to take it out in the first place.

    Limed so hard.

    For reals. There are PS2 games out there I would buy right now if my PS3 could play them.... I have no intention of buying a PS2 for this purpose.

    Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be how Sony's brain trust is viewing the issue.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I still wish I could play GH 1 and 2 properly on my PS3. BC is nice and all, but not for games with specialized controllers.

    Though that new GH is probably all I need anyways, looks like it's an updated and re-released GH 1 and 2 anyways. But up until that release, BC was always somewhat bittersweet to me (I was really looking forward to playing some Guitar Hero 1 and 2 on my PS3 when I bought it, GH3 and RB weren't out yet).

    steam_sig.png
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »
    *and the Gamecube looks better than both of them through VGA or Component ;)

    And in turn, the oXbox easily beats them both with 720p and 1080i support through component. :winky:

    Though honestly, most of the games that could do that were also available on PC. No surprise there.

    For 480i/p content though the Gamecube trumps the Xbox. Really beautiful image.

    Well, that's like, your opinion, man.

    Personally, the 720p beats anything on the Gamecube easily, but years of playing at PC resolutions have spoiled me.

    Very few Xbox games were 720p and besides resolution isn't everything, the quality of the output is just as important and that's where the Gamecube excelled. The Wii might be 480p for example but the output is so horribly filtered that in practice it's less than that and it has poor colour reproduction.

    This is way off topic now so I will just end by reiterating that there is nothing wrong with the PS2 output on HDTVs assuming your TV has a good upscaler and you're willing to fiddle with your TV settings (turn your sharpness down, turn off your TV's post processing etc.). If anyone wants some help with this please do PM me, I'd be happy to oblige :)

  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    fmz65 wrote: »
    DS3?

    Also I'm glad I got my BC PS3, 3 years back with some games and other accessories for like $450 shipped? I want to say its a 60gb or 40 gb... I can't remember.

    Dual Shock 3

    georgersig.jpg
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    I do think it was a combination of the two of those things. BC was costing Sony a few bucks per ps3 sold and they had sad they were trying to bring down its price as fast as possible. They were also worrying about the unprofitable PS3's cutting into sales on profitable PS2s.

    So yeah compared to the potential profit lost on a ps2 the loss on the BC is nothing. However the fact that they were looking to cut costs for everything that wasn't core to the ps3 makes me think it would get cut anyway.

    So you believe Jack Tretton is a liar?

    georgersig.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow YRP...in position It's showtime, girls.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    greeble wrote: »
    I do think it was a combination of the two of those things. BC was costing Sony a few bucks per ps3 sold and they had sad they were trying to bring down its price as fast as possible. They were also worrying about the unprofitable PS3's cutting into sales on profitable PS2s.

    So yeah compared to the potential profit lost on a ps2 the loss on the BC is nothing. However the fact that they were looking to cut costs for everything that wasn't core to the ps3 makes me think it would get cut anyway.

    So you believe Jack Tretton is a liar?

    Do you take everything that PR says as the absolute truth?

    kTNzrVi.png?2
    Disasterrific! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    greeble wrote: »
    I do think it was a combination of the two of those things. BC was costing Sony a few bucks per ps3 sold and they had sad they were trying to bring down its price as fast as possible. They were also worrying about the unprofitable PS3's cutting into sales on profitable PS2s.

    So yeah compared to the potential profit lost on a ps2 the loss on the BC is nothing. However the fact that they were looking to cut costs for everything that wasn't core to the ps3 makes me think it would get cut anyway.

    So you believe Jack Tretton is a liar?

    Do you take everything that PR says as the absolute truth?

    Well, first off, what he said actually makes the company look WORSE. Why would he lie with something bad in order to cover-up something that was entirely reasonable.

    Secondly, Jack Tretton isn't exactly "PR".

    georgersig.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow YRP...in position It's showtime, girls.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pretty much everything he says is going to come from/go through PR.

    kTNzrVi.png?2
    Disasterrific! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    which ignores the first half of my statement

    georgersig.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow YRP...in position It's showtime, girls.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Either they are cutting out the PS2 hardware for a non-sensical reason, or they are in bad enough financial shape that they can't keep the hardware in there.

    Neither one is going to make them look good.

    kTNzrVi.png?2
    Disasterrific! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
Sign In or Register to comment.