As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 software Backwards compatibility patent filed

124»

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Rakai wrote: »
    I'm really wondering how that "research" of theirs was conducted.

Because I know many, many people that have not bought a PS3 yet and their main reason was the lack of BC.

Considering that the PS2 is still the most played system in terms of total minutes according to NPD(?), it is asinine to think people will won't miss it. Getting rid of it also gives less incentive to "upgrade" to PS3 as it puts the PS3/360/Wii on even grounds since all 3 won't play their backlog. That's why I think they might look to put it back in as the system gets cheaper.

NPD is putting chips in your machines to see how long you play?

No Neilsen is. Well I think they use a wall socket thingy to measure usage.

that would be incredibly inaccurate, for a wide variety of reasons.

I've been part of a Nielsen family before, basically the way it works is they hook up their equipment to every TV in your house, which then reports time that is spent while the TV is on, as well as what the TV is hooked up to... you're required to tell them what is hooked up to inputs, so they can tell if you're on input 1 then you're using a PS2 or whatever. If you change any TV equipment in your house (like adding a new console) you are supposed to tell them about it.

Then, their hardware also has a remote with numbers on it, and each number is assigned to correspond to a member of your household... when they are using the TV, they sign in on the device by pressing their button on the remote.

So, nielsen collects data on what you are watching, when you are watching it, who is watching it, and for how long. From there on it's up to the nielsen family to properly check in/out when using the television.

Sorry about the tangent. :(

Dehumanized on