As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Big smelly head [DOODLE] face with words that make me go ARAHAHREIAHRIA

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    looks like parker is delivering cap a "daily bugle" HA AHAHHAHA haha aha

no no. sorry that was no good.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nice Wakkawa! What class is that for?

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Guess what I [strike]am sick of working on[/strike] finished!
    gouache_2.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have a feeling that photo severely diminished the true quality of the piece- it doesn't look as good as I remember the previous WIPs

Bacon, are you going to be hanging these on your walls?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Probably, my camera is definitely pretty shitty.

Probably not on the hanging, I'd feel like a tool if the only thing I bothered to hang up was my own stuff. (I still have yet to hang up the art Iruka and MD gave me in my new place because I'm a lazy asshole. D: )

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hate to say it, but he looks cross eye'd.....maybe it's just the photo.

Mustang on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Or maybe its just that Bacon sucks.

rts on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey guys I made a comic.

wattsatelier.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hahaha......hahahaha.....teehee.

Mustang on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cakemikz looks like Andy Mckee with hair.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Whenever I get into an artistic slump I tackle a different medium just to keep working on something. I have always been fascinated with the old school sign painters and pinstripers. I spent some time learning hand lettering (much harder than I thought) and pinstrping (REALLY much harder than I thought).

3928322274_fa16b0d811_o.jpg

3927540313_c937cc7e3f_o.jpg

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Some decks I painted for friends.

3927564529_aac19ba6a3_o.jpg

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wicked fuckin cool guy

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks, earthwormadam. Hey, I just saw your homepage. How are you doing your inking? Awesome line work!

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Haha, I just realized your forum name is actually Guy, when I was just calling you guy like dude...heh.

...anyways yeah, I use photoshop for most of my inking, though I almost always sketch things out in pencil and scan them first. And thanks!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    David is a bad mofo
    badart0003.png

BOTP
    Cake wrote:
    wattsatelier.jpg
    Guy Bell wrote:
    3927540313_c937cc7e3f_o.jpg
    3927564529_aac19ba6a3_o.jpg

Mustang on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    20 minute doodle, been making some landscapes out of my head. I will scan a few in I did with pencil but here is a digital one

octopus_ocean_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I dunno if anyone remembers the robot dude I did awhile back with the intention of doing a gouache version of it to send to a friend of mine, but I started that and gave up on it because I started running into problems because I didn't really have any sort of a handle on what I was doing in gouache 3 months ago. Having been through this gouache class I figured I'd go back and try to fix it up; and in trying to get rid of my mistakes caused by trying to layer things originally, I promptly destroyed the surface of the board.

Not to be daunted, I'm starting over with the proper tiling method. Original digital, destroyed first painting, step by step of new painting in progress below.
    DarkAlloyBot_2.jpg
    If anyone's wondering why the pencil lines have dots scattered amongst the lines, it's because in lieu of a projector, I just took a printout of the digital, poked holes around the contours with a sewing needle, placed it in front of the board, poked a mechanical pencil through the holes to make dots, and then played connect the dots to reconstruct the drawing. Seemed to work out pretty decently.
    Next: orange armor, background, blending, and hopefully not fucking up.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Bacon-
    I've used the perforated outline technique to transfer designs to automobiles. A ponce wheel and a sock filled with chalk or graphite works really quickly.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I did this tonight (not finished):

green_1_blog.jpg

After I did this the other night (terrible photo sorry):

blue_1_blog.jpg

And this from the other week (not finished):

sewer_1_blog.jpg

Coming soon: 3 panel city being consumed by blob! hooray!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    earthworm, you should try out Manga Studio. It's got an ink brush tool that is great for cartooning.

3928316465_84c0f3ffa3_o.jpg

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dammit DR, you make some cool stuffs.

I really like the circular one.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    David is a bad mofo
    badart0003.png

Omg, thats so fucking funny.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's drawn really well, too.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    Sam :)Sam :) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    what an awesome doodle-page this is.

Angel_of_Bacon: you mention a "tiling method" and that you still have the blending to do, and looking at your progress pics I assume the "tiling" refers to how you lay up the shades as blocks of paint? or maybe you are referring to something else? in which case ignore mi ignorance, but I'm interested in the blending technique, how does that work exactly, with gouache?

Sam :) on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Htaed_by_thanekats.jpg

damn that came out way bigger than i expected. done with whiteboard markers. nothing else was around at the time

and death waits for no man.

or marker

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sam :) wrote: »
    Angel_of_Bacon: you mention a "tiling method" and that you still have the blending to do, and looking at your progress pics I assume the "tiling" refers to how you lay up the shades as blocks of paint? or maybe you are referring to something else? in which case ignore mi ignorance, but I'm interested in the blending technique, how does that work exactly, with gouache?

Yeah, by tiling I mean laying in colors opaquely as specific, discrete shapes, and placing them next to shapes of other colors, as opposed to building up color in layers like you might do with acrylic or oil- a kind of cel-shaded or posterized look before you get to the blending stage.

The reason for this is because unlike those other mediums, gouache is never permanently set, and will reactivate with water, so layers underneath the top ones will come back up and blend back into your upper layers if you apply water to it.

That's what happened with the failed painting- I had a white highlight paint on top of a darker grey, and when I tried to blend that highlight into the surrounding colors, it just turned out like mud, and trying to water down the area and soak up the excess paint so I could do it over correctly ended up tearing the board up.

The blending involves taking a damp brush with no paint on it and running it over the edges of the tiles, or gently going back and forth between two areas for a large blend. You don't want the brush very wet, because then the water will pool on the surface and you'll end up with blotches when it dries. If all goes well, all these hard edges between the tiles will smooth out to make the form roll properly, and give a more realistic effect.

You can also do wet into wet blending with gouache the same as you do with watercolor, but that's a whole different method and look than what I'm going for.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I did this tonight (not finished):
    green_1_blog.jpg

After I did this the other night (terrible photo sorry):
    blue_1_blog.jpg

And this from the other week (not finished):
    sewer_1_blog.jpg

Coming soon: 3 panel city being consumed by blob! hooray!

I fully approve of your new arts. Let me know when you're next selling stuff, if I've got enough scratch I'll seriously consider buying one of these.
    Especially the last one.........you're going to jack up the price on the last one now aren't you?

Mustang on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    No, no, no.

Yes.

Nah. There will be 3 round ones in this show so you'll have a choice! I like the round format, it's neat!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Likewise, but I want it in a round frame, make it happen. :twisted:

Mustang on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ominous.png

And how do people do complicated things like machines and other complicated things that are not machines?

I'm still a long way off from figuring it out on my own.

perspectivepaint.png

MKR on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    2i0wvvn.jpg

2i8zoe9.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    woodcut.jpg

I'm taking printmaking this semester. Assignment was self-portrait. It's my third cut, my second in pine. The other two were practice grids, so this was my first composition really. I'm enjoying the shit out of the class. I'll be up at the studio trying to pull some prints off of this Saturday.

(for those that can't tell from my shitty netbook camera, this is the actual block of wood held up against my belly.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ron_don.jpg

PROX on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm liking that lots Manon, and that muppet-like creature rocks my socks Prox.

Them some purdy lookin pedals Tam. I quite like how watching this piece progress is akin to watching actual flowers bloom!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm not sure what I can do to it now, other than give it a redder background

Tam on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PROX wrote: »
    ron_don.jpg

hah, I thought that was you in the livestream! unfortunately photoshop crashed before I could post my submission...blah

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    poster-1.jpg

poster-2.jpg

So, I was asking typography related questions a couple of weeks ago for a class project. these are the fruit of that project. printed at 10x15"

these were bigger files than I thought. oh well. also, I corrected some spelling errors and stuff after I made these preview images, and the grey border/squares were trim marks for cropping, not on the final product.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Pretty cool. The design of it definitely catches the eye, but I didn't really get much of what it was trying to communicate, but pretty neat nonetheless. The little monkey is awesome, but it looks like he could've used a little more love when cutting out his edges. Hair can be a bitch to cut around.

My new project in memory of DC. I hope to finish it before the month ends...it's thinking...
    itsthinking4.jpg

Crits would be great, but I'm not going to be adding any more games or characters since I ended up putting in way more than I originally intended. Also, I'm planning on redoing these inks because I did this with the pressure sensitivity turned off just to get a feel for the composition. I think some thicker lines here and there will make it look much better. I'm also going to color it when the lines are done, but nothing crazy, probably just a simple 3 color scheme...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    looks rad. I dig the seaman and dhalsim, eventhough I wouldn't normally associate dreamcast with any of the street fighters with him in it.

as for the monkey, I cloned out the white trim halo he had from sloppy cutting for the final, so it looked fine.

ManonvonSuperock on
This discussion has been closed.