Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[G&T] Free Games *UPDATED*

• HenroidHenroid Gibberish Cold white sand!Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Eh, I'm not impressed with that Doom link. How about this one? Doom Legacy.

http://legacy.newdoom.com/

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Prinny wrote:

Yeah, but then you need to get the .wad files seperately, and those *aren't free(Not legally, at least, I believe).

Also, to whoever moved this, thanks. With a week or so, we should get a pretty good list.

• EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Prinny wrote:

Yeah, but then you need to get the .wad files seperately, and those *aren't free(Not legally, at least, I believe).

Also, to whoever moved this, thanks. With a week or so, we should get a pretty good list.

Wait, you need the game files before you can get this? Damn, I about to download Hexen to try it out...

• HeliosHelios Registered User
    edited February 2004
    Continuum (aka Subspace)

Who is driving?
    Oh my god, bear is driving!
  • MachwingMachwing They burned the woods, and sold the ashes.Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Megamek: The Battletech tabletop game, except online. You can choose between connecting via I.P. to a server and just fighting with whatever you want, or you can use the MegamekNET client and take part in a persistant battle between houses.

hello
  • JamsqueJamsque Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Why oh why has noone put Runescape?? It consumed 2 years of my life, and it is a free JAVA game!![/url]

• KatoKato Registered User
    edited February 2004
    It's not a game persay, but it's a cool site that has a buttload of games and stuff to play online. Webshows as well. www.inflash.com

Signature??
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User
    edited February 2004
    Jamsque wrote:
    Why oh why has noone put Runescape?? It consumed 2 years of my life, and it is a free JAVA game!![/url]

I've always despised Runescape. I tried to enjoy it, really I did. At least three times. But I just cant.

edited February 2004
    Someguy99 wrote:
    Jamsque wrote:

I've always despised Runescape. I tried to enjoy it, really I did. At least three times. But I just cant.
    Don't you just LOVE it when people justify what they are saying? I know I do!

• theforthmantheforthman Registered User
    edited February 2004
    neopets.com great game lots and lots of mini games 2 good basic rpg.
    many, many flash and java games

edited February 2004
    Oh god, not neopets. That whole thing is designed to turn little kiddies into corporate slaves as fast as humanly possible.

edited February 2004
    Jamsque wrote:
    Someguy99 wrote:
    Jamsque wrote:

Don't you just LOVE it when people justify what they are saying? I know I do!

Hey, justifying is fun. You got a problem with that?

BTW, Neopets is really for the 6-12 crowd. Any older and you'll get bored easily.

edited February 2004
    try to get to 1000000 pointsa in six months see how bored you get

edited February 2004
    try to get to 1000000 pointsa in six months see how bored you get

You're a sad little man.

edited February 2004
    little? I'm 6 foot 5 inch and 300lbs I work out 4 days a week and can bench over 350pounds http://www.uspf.com/2002%20Cal%20State.htm
    names wondra

• EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    little? I'm 6 foot 5 inch and 300lbs I work out 4 days a week and can bench over 350pounds http://www.uspf.com/2002%20Cal%20State.htm
    names wondra

fourthman.JPG

• CaspianXCaspianX Registered User
    edited February 2004
    I am so lovin' this thread.

Need to mention Tetrinet 1 and 2, though I don't recall where the downloads are. A quick, easy, and damn good version of Tetris you can play online.

-CaspianX (If I find the download location, I'll edit it into the post)

sigv2a.gif
    edited February 2004
    Ah, I remember Tetrinet. Good stuff.

A quick google search got me this:

http://www.tetrinet.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index

EDIT: Well, tetrinet2.com seems to not be working, so you cant download TN2 for the moment. That kinda stinks, because even though TN1 is quite good, you have to make your own servers; The only way to know which are wokring is by going to tetrinet.org. Oh well....

edited February 2004
    I'm going to let the thread grow till it's shoved back into it's corner. Then I'll toss the list together.

I have to remember to link those free rockstar games, as well as Hidden and Dangerous.

Also, I'm trying to remember....there was a game, I think it was based on Babylon 5 or something like that. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

• EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    I think EA offers their sports games that are 7 years old for free.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Stellar Frontier. I haven't played it in a while, but it was fun. Sort of like Subspace, but a bit more involved. It's free, but with bonuses for people in the Admiral's Club (or something), which gets you lasers if you pay (I believe).

One fun thing is that you have a tractor beam you can use to take over enemy ships, and if you manage it, they are forced onto your team.

http://www.stardock.com/products/sf/

Pony_Sig.png
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
  • StevenSteven Registered User
    edited February 2004
    If it hasn't already been posted... www.addictinggames.com

• dizzledizzle Registered User
    edited February 2004
    http://www.ikaru.com/ikarunews/befast.php?Action=Full&NewsID=32

This has a lot of free japanese space shooter downloads. You should try Baroque Shooting, it's pretty good (though not really as sweet as the beautiful Cloudphobia).

If anyone can get Bike Banditz working, i'd be interested to know how they did it. It looks pretty sweet.

• scootchscootch Registered User
    edited February 2004
    I think 3d doom is a mod :\

TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2004
    If you google it there is a Java based version of the old Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy text based adventure.

Its insanely difficult (hats off if you can get out of the first room) but brilliant all the same

EDIT - Its bee taken down from the (official) website. Shame.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Someguy99 wrote:
    Hm, Fate Axis seems interesting, now if only I could read Japanese and find out where the heck to download...

BTW, im not sure if it was the best idea to put this in the Master Sticky. I imagine that 90% of the G&Ters have no clue this exists.

Yeah, um, I can't get to figuring out what to dl, considering I don't know Japanese. I'll have to ask some of my friends to read it for me... or if one of YOU knew, could you kindly put a direct link to the DL on the front maybe?
    Someguy99 wrote:
    BTW, Neopets is really for the 6-12 crowd. Any older and you'll get bored easily.

Actually, I've seen some Seniors at my High School on that site in the computer lab. I laughed at him.

| Steam & XBL: Shazkar | 3DS: 3110-5421-3843 | SS Wishlists |
  • CommunistCommunist Registered User
    edited February 2004
    http://jet.ro/dismount/

I thought I'd make my contribution to this thread since I didn't see this listed.

Anyway, there is two games on that site, Stair Dismount, and Truck Dismount. The object of the game is to causes as much damage to the "dummy" as possible.

In stair dismount, you launch him down a flight of stairs in weird ways to hurt him, and in truck dismount you set him up in weird positions to get hit/launched/sqaushed by a big truck.

Enjoy!

• Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    CrimsonLand

Basically Smash TV with mouse control and a fast paced experience system

*shareware

edit: download here if you're too lazy to click through the homepage

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2004
    Thanks alot man..

if anyone even cares i recomend soldat its realy fun and theres lots of gore/voilence

sorry for spelling im realy tierd

edited February 2004
    Fleck0 wrote:
    CrimsonLand

Basically Smash TV with mouse control and a fast paced experience system

*shareware

edit: download here if you're too lazy to click through the homepage

I won't put that up, because it's only playable for an hour. Unless it's now unlimited playtime, cause then I'll put it up.

Also, sorry for the lack of updates, my dsl modem burnt out last wednesday, and I have a really busy week right now.

• InsipidInsipid Registered User
    edited February 2004
    Any free MMORPGs?

To Believe that any one of us on this planet can say for sure whats real and whats not real is pure arrogance. We are not god.
    Yet you say that god, an invention of man when he thought that the Earth was at the centre of the universe, is real, and humble.
  • LordCrankLordCrank Registered User
    edited February 2004
  • InsipidInsipid Registered User
    edited February 2004
    Not funny.

To Believe that any one of us on this planet can say for sure whats real and whats not real is pure arrogance. We are not god.
    Yet you say that god, an invention of man when he thought that the Earth was at the centre of the universe, is real, and humble.
    edited February 2004
    Dislexic?

• joehonkiejoehonkie Registered User
    edited February 2004
    There are a lot of free point & click adventure games in this article.

Also I'm surprised nobody mentioned GTA1.

I CAUSE SQL ERRORS!
  • joehonkiejoehonkie Registered User
    edited March 2004
    Definitely put Out of Order in there:

http://outoforder.adventuredevelopers.com/

I CAUSE SQL ERRORS!
    edited March 2004
    Ive got a few for all here:

www.pogo.com EA run, lots of games for free to play (Word Whomp is great)

www.uproar.com TONS of online game shows and card/board games and the like

www.gamesville.com lots of cool games, Price is Right is a lot of fun

www.activeworlds.com hard to explain, very much a virtual chat room with decent graphics, but certain "worlds" are full-on games like MMORPG style

I cant remember the name or website, of a game where you chose an anime school girl avatar and battle (rock/paper/scizzors style) in a schoolyard. Anyone have a clue if thats still around?

• IfritIfrit Registered User
    edited April 2004
    UPDATE THIS SHIT

"who in the world do you want to fight...?
    its against the system - we should unite..!
    homo-phobics ain't al-right -
    if you learn to love - you might love life."
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Allegiance

In case the link does not work
    http://www.freeallegiance.org/

A free, open source space fighter games. It has relativly easy controls, and a few servers with at least 20 people on each. A small community.

Gameplay is freelancer style space combat, combined with natural selection. Commanders organize troops, mine stuff, acquire ships, etc. while fighters go and kick the enemie's ass.