Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[G&T] Free Games *UPDATED*

• BushidoGamerBushidoGamer Registered User
    edited April 2004
    Edit: Combined posts.

sig.gif
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    I'll update when some good Tribes links are up. Next friday.

• joehonkiejoehonkie Registered User
    edited April 2004
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    The last free game thread made me want to put together a free game sticky. So, with 90X's help, here it is. Also, I'm going to try to keep Java and Flashed based games off the list for now.

Total Freeware-
    America's Army- Multiplayer-Only Army Propaganda FPS :wink:
    GunBound - A healthy online mix of anime style characters and worms style gameplay.
    Soldat - a side scrolling variation on the CS theme (Thanks to joehonkie for the discription)
    Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - Team Based Mission Oriented Multiplayer-Only FPS.
    Wulfram-Futuristic Online RTS?(thanks to Dravalen in the last free games thread.)
    Cloudphobia- Timed Anime Based side-scrolling shooter. (Thanks to Useff in the last free games thread)
    ABA Games- Lots of stylish games, rRootage has an Ikuragua-like mode. (Thanks to Useff in the last free games thread)
    Fate Axis - The best free game ever? I think so. Combining Soul Calibur inspired gameplay with a heavier anime influence, and a more stylized combo system, this game will shock and awe you. Too bad the story and the website are in solid Japanese. But the menus are in english, so hurrah!
    Slime Forrest- An RPG that teaches Japanese...sort of.
    Beneath a Steel Sky - Classic Adventure Game (Thanks to JoeHonkie, once again)
    3D Doom, 3D Heretic, and 3D Hexen - Self Explanitory. (Thanks to The_Cheese)
    Continuum - looks kind of like asteroids online.(Thanks to Helios)
    Megamek-The Battletech tabletop game, except online. (Thanks to Machwing)
    Free Shoot em' ups- Self explanitory.(Thanks to dizzle)
    Dismount- Fun throwing people down stairs or out of trucks. (Thanks to Communist?)
    Tetrinet- Tetris online (thanks to CaspianX)

Shareware Games/Free games with catches-
    Shattered Galaxy- MMORTS, with a futuristic space theme. Free Version players get less experience, less units, etc. etc.
    Elasto-Mania- Infamous Dirtbike game. Free version only has 18 levels.
    Purge Jihad- "The game is similar to Savage, only Fantasy versus Sci-Fi. And it has RPG elements instead of RTS elements." Free Players only have access to half of the classes. (Thanks to EberKain in those last 2 threads he made about it)
    Dinky Bomb- Free online game with more items and weapons in the paid version(Thanks to Eggs)

Beta MMORPGs (May go to P2P at any time)
    Priston Tale - 3D MMORPG, somewhat like RO.(Thanks to Dangerous)

Java/Flash Webgames-
    Popcap Games (Thanks to Cuthbert)
    Street Fighter Online- The title says it all. (Thanks to SomeGuy99)
    Quest for the Crown- The best flash game ever. Note: You must play this with sound on.
    Spele - Many many games. Also, not in english(mostly). (Thanks to Squashua)
    Runescape- A free Java MMORPG(Thanks to Jamsque, I guess)
    Neopets- Putting this one up makes me sad.(No thanks to theforthman, :P )
    Inflash - Flash stuff. (Thanks to Kato)
    Miniclip- Lots of fun flash stuff(Thanks to Fleck0)
    Addicting Games- I believe we all know this one.(Steven wouldn't let me forget.)

Now here's a list that I didn't want to seperate and put into the other lists. Awhile back, joehonkie asked for a list of free games, and in the last free games thread, he posted that list again. So:
    joehonkie wrote:
    Here's a list of some good ones:

Generally - a nice little top down racing game
    Neverball - an excellent Monkeyball-like game you control with the mouse
    Crack Attack! - a falling block puzzle game that kicks ass
    Chromium B.S.U. - a sweet little mouse controlled shooter
    DROD - a very tricky puzzle game, in some ways like Sokoban but harder and geekier
    Fiend - an awesome 2d survival horror game (watch for pop-ups and spyware installers on that page)
    Falcon's Eye - the Nethack dungeon crawling game with a nice visual interface
    Star Control 2 - space exploration and battle game, classic, used to be commercial and sold damn well
    Laser Squad Nemesis - by the team who did X-com, free to play hotseat, constantly getting new features
    Idinaloq - a short but fun vertical scrolling shooter, complete with voice actresses (movies don't work in XP/2000)[Editor's note: The version on that site uses a really old type of data compression. If you want a version that you actually have a chance of being able to extract, look for it on the site that starts with "under" and ends with "dogs".]
    Vantage Master - a Final Fantasy Tactics/Disgaea like game
    Warning Forever - a vertical scrolling shooter where all you do is take on larger and larger bosses
    Neophyte - a series of cute Zelda-like games that have a look and feel similar to Lunar
    [Editor's Note: I took out some that were already mentioned]
    EDIT: I want to point out that I am indebted to many forumers for their contributions to my list in past threads.

And finally, games mentioned in the last thread that I don't really know how to categorize:
    Parsec- "it aims to be a Massively multiplayer space game, but it's vaporware as far as I'm concerned " (Thanks to Runitai for all that.)
    Lux wrote:
    Little Fighter 2 - Fun for a while. It's a beat 'em up with nice action but the moves aren't that deep.
    Survival Project - I haven't downloaded this yet. It's some sort of strategy game...looks good.

And thus ends Version 1 of the Free Games Sticky
    And yes, it will get more organized over time.

Quoted so the links work while Hadji is in jail.

I CAUSE SQL ERRORS!
    edited May 2004
    Edit: Combined posts

sig.gif
  • UponWingsOfWrathUponWingsOfWrath Registered User
    edited May 2004
    http://www.gameshade.com/dex/YMM/Jumper.zip

Fun freeware game called Jumper where you navigate a little block guy around and attempt to get from one side to the other by jumping.

ZOE2_Nohman_Sig_480x100.jpg
    edited May 2004

sig.gif
    edited May 2004

sig.gif
    edited May 2004

sig.gif
  • .Hack//Sign.Hack//Sign Registered User
    edited June 2004
    I have one that isn't mentioned yet; Strife. No not the old FPS/RPG game, I mean Strife: Age of Conflict. It's a turn based, text based strategy game played out on the internet. It's pretty fun and is a good way to kill time.

0.jpg
    Kaseius wrote:
    WHAT/! SHE WASNT NAEMD METROD!!![etuoq\]
  • MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Which link exactly do you click to dl Fate Axis on the DL page. It's all in japanese :cry:

brawl friend code: MEIST: 4811-6835-0918
    edited July 2004
    If you haven't figured out how to download Fate Axis yet, click on Download at the left. Once you get there, head down to the bottom of the page. There should be an icon that has an arrow pointing towards a hard drive. The links translate to Game Download 1 and Game Download 2. Try the first link and wait for it to download. If it doesn't, go back and try the link under that.

sig.gif
  • MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but
    Spiky Thing has lots of free flash games and
    AdventureQuest is a fun flash based RPG.

brawl friend code: MEIST: 4811-6835-0918
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    edited July 2004
    I know it's technically Flash-based (though it's a standalone), but...

N!

Also, this is old but: Betrayal at Krondor. This is NOT abandonware or warez; Sierra released it as freeware some years back.

sig.gif
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA
    edited July 2004
    Also, this is old but: Betrayal at Krondor. This is NOT abandonware or warez; Sierra released it as freeware some years back.

Betrayal at Krondor is the hardest thing in the world to get working. I've tried it on every PC I've ever owned and I've never gotten it to run.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited July 2004
    Pheezer wrote:

Betrayal at Krondor is the hardest thing in the world to get working. I've tried it on every PC I've ever owned and I've never gotten it to run.

It runs in DOS. Have you tried playing it on DOSBox? It's a program that runs old DOS games on Windows smoothly.

sig.gif
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I've got a great free game.

LieroX - A Worms-type game that is more action oriented ansd is free. Has Net support and a level editor.

i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Monkey_ManMonkey_Man Registered User
    edited September 2004
    I second LieroX. For some reason they remind me of Kelets =p

two notes:
    O2Jam is not not not not not a DDR clone. It is, at most, a beatmania clone (beatmania being a game belonging to the same series as DDR, though with completely different gameplay.) O2Jam is now like five bucks a month now anyway.

It should also be mentioned that the company that develops Runescape also has quite a few free online board games on their website (jagex.com I believe).

Oh yeah, I should mention Stepmania. It's a DDR simulator with a huge userbase. It supports official simfiles (from ddruk.com) and fanmade simfiles (bemanistyle.com, among others). Keyboard simfiles/edits are popular and quite fun. Highly reccomended.

untitled19.png
  • ChrisDudeChrisDude Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    As requested by Pheezer:
    I visited this game's website a long ass time ago when they were still working on it but forgot about it a bit afterwards. On a whim I visited it a little bit ago and lo and behold there's a demo there. For just a couple people they did an awesome job on this game. I really reccommend it to anybody who is a fan of hardcore shooters.

http://jng.rakeingrass.com/

Take a look and give them some feedback. Plus, it has a sweet soundtrack by Machinae Supremacy.

Chris Pennell Is A Huge Nerd - My blog. I talk about nerd-ish things a lot.
  • ZapfZapf Registered User
    edited September 2004
    you forgot ddramerica.com monkeyman. crapload of simfiles

also, is there a free alternative to o2jam?

trexwootss8c67.giftrexwootss8c67.giftrexwootss8c67.gif
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    The best freeware fighting game out there is not in this topic yet.

It's called "Super Cosplay War Ultra", and it's as weird and funny and awesome as the name wants to sound.

It's basically a 2D fighting game where the characters gain the powers of whoever they're cosplaying as. This is a nice way to spoof, well, just about everything anime. We're talking everything from Evangelion to Gundam to Power Rangers to Digimon.

It's also ludicrously fun, though it's got some of the cheapest boss characters ever. I'm talking bosses that can make SNK's bosses look fair by comparison.

There are two main modes in the SP game: normal and battle royale. Normal is about what you'd expect. In battle royale your character is paired up with another character and you basically fight 2 (or more) characters at the same time.

There are 24 "normal" playable characters, plus about 2 "extra" ones and about 7 that are playable only in battle royale mode. (Rario pwns j00 all, by the way.)

There are only two downsides to the game, IMO. First, most of it (and its website) is in Chinese, so you'll pretty much have to ignore what story there is (in still-pic cutscenes near the end of the game), and miss out on most of the jokes therein.

Second, the game is really, really BIG. The final version is upwards of 240 MB, so 56kers might as well forget it. If you've got a decent connection, though, I HIGHLY recommend it.

You can get it at Team FK's site, here.

Note: You'll have to modify the download instructions slightly if you want to get version being distributed by bittorrent. The password is NOT where the directions say it is for that (slightly older) version - it's "http://go.to/alicuu".

If you get it from the other links, just follow directions.

If you google this game, btw, you might get a page at Home of the Underdogs: this is NOT the current (much better) version of the game.

steam_sig.png
  • ZauronZauron Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Any chance Minebot Arena ( www.minebotarena.com ) could be added to this list? It's free, and the posters on the G&T boards seemed to really like it :)

- Zauron
    Author of Minebot Arena and some other stuff
  • medeamedea Registered User
    edited December 2004
    Can you add Maple Story? - http://www.mapleglobal.com/

It's an awesome little Platform MMORPG, hugely addictive and very free.

100 Mb download though as far as I remember.

Oh and my username for in game if anyone plays - medeakun :)

Masc+0.jpg
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Eh, you kids and your "graphics" and "intuitive controls".

In my day, we didn't have any of that kind of stuff. We had to flip a switch to turn the power off on our computers. Mice were what lived in your walls, and we used "mode co80" to refresh our desktop.

And if you wanted to share a file, you had to copy it to tape and walk it over the to nearest computer. Uphill! Both ways!

We suffered, and it was great! Mostly because game developers were so into making games that they wanted to play themselves that they forgot to work out how to make anyone actually pay for it.

So the devteam made one of the best games ever, and it's free:

http://www.nethack.org/

Now go there and get playing before I takes a hickory switch to the backside of the lot of you!

• JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    http://www.etfgame.com/
    Team Fortress mod for Wolfeinstein:ET (which is in sticky already)

steam_sig.png
  • The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User
    edited March 2005
  • SkatDarkstarSkatDarkstar Registered User
    edited March 2005
    Wasn't there a flight sim released free because of some developer disagreement? I'm pretty sure it was one of the Jane's series.

• TotesTotes Registered User
    edited March 2005
    I thought that this was cool.
    I wouldn't call them full games, but they're damn fun to play around with and some of them are kinda never ending games. Like Tower of goo. Nothing beats tower of goo.

My goal as a writer is for the player to want to see the cutscenes. Earn your audience. Forcing people to sit through your glorified fanfic is the gaming equivalent of date rape.
  • RingmasterBentRingmasterBent Registered User
    edited March 2005
    Seemed like a good spot to mention Timeslaughter, a full-fledged fighting game for PC released as shareware in 1996, and it also may very well be the goriest fighting game ever made. I know it's at least the only fighting game out there with an underaged prostitute and a mutant with Tourette's Syndrome. You can get the full version as absolute freeware now on the Bloodlust site (About a 12 meg download).

Timeslaughter is here: http://www.thehorrorcarnival.com/bloodlust/gim2.html

Another one worth checking out is Nogginknockers 2, which is a fighting/pong game, also with excessive gore, an aborted fetus monster, and of course midgets. Here: http://www.thehorrorcarnival.com/bloodlust/gim4.html

There's a ton of other freeware stuff on the site, but most of it pales in comparison to those due to lack of a real programmer (we had one for those two). I wouldn't wish an Executioners download on anyone unless you are really desperate for a laugh.

Oh, if you like Timeslaughter, I've got good news. I've begun work on Timeslaughter II, almost 10 years later, and with vastly improved visuals. You can see some shots and information in the news section: http://www.thehorrorcarnival.com/bloodlust/news.html

Yeah yeah, we're easy targets on some of the stuff we released, but I take pride even in the trash we put out there due to the humor and independent spirit of it all. Keep in mind this stuff paid for a lot of our college (as well as fast food, video games, and cds!). I should also point out we actually took these tasteless things to a computer convention, had a booth, and were told to turn our speakers down because the volume of our tourette's mutant was disrupting the dinosaur learning software booth next to us. Seeing some poor shmuck win Executioners as a door prize was classic too. *Sniff* the memories...

ts2banner.gif
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2005
    Another game to mention is ASDF.

http://global.asdfgame.com/

Dumb name aside, it's actually pretty fun. You race on hoverboards in something of a cross between old school Mario Kart-type racing with something like Uniracers, where tricks make you go faster. You also have boost item pickups, along with your usual shooting items (think red shell) and so on.

The interface is so much like Gunbound that I'm pretty sure it's made by the same guys. Like GB, your player can be customized with various items that help you perform better.

But what makes this game interesting is that not only do tricks give you a free boost if done properly, if you do one perfectly, depending on the trick you did, you will get a certain effect from it. The harder the trick, the better the effect. Effects include a short but big performance upgrade, a shield from all attacks, slowing down other players, etc. Each trick is mapped to the ASDF keys, which explains the name.

It seems fairly new to me, since some of the server rooms aren't out yet, and it's gotten more popular lately so I've been running into lag problems. But it's still fun and worth checking out.

• ch0pstikninjach0pstikninja Registered User
    edited June 2005
    mcc wrote:

on my 3rd try.

Vin Diesel can drink a packet of Swiss Miss chocolate mix and urinate a steaming cup of hot cocoa.
  • jimenexjimenex Registered User
    edited June 2005
    should this be stickied?

bg.gif
  • joehonkiejoehonkie Registered User
    edited June 2005
    mcc wrote:

HAH!

I was just playing that last night!

I CAUSE SQL ERRORS!
  • JetBlackCenterJetBlackCenter Registered User
    edited June 2005
    BiggNife wrote:
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    Everyone download Survival Project. It's like an Online Super Smash Brothers.

The SP download server hates me. First I can't connect, and then when I do, I only get 55k a second. And here's the best part...

When I check my download. Its at 107%. yes, 107. something like 94 out of 87 MB. And it won't give me the file. Man, I'm so pissed right now.

OK i feel like an idiot but.. I can't even FIND the download link on the webpage.. what gives?

schoolrumble4wh6zd.gif341.gif
    BRAWL CODE: 3866-7685-8500
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    THis MUST be stickied.
    This is a wealth of coolness beyond anything that teh intorwab has seen in many moons.

steam_sig.png
  • GimeCGimeC Registered User
    edited June 2005
    Psst. Your continuum page should be linked to subspacedownloads.com, not subspacehq.com. HQ doesn't exist anymore.

Also, Quest for the Crown seems to be down.

• JetBlackCenterJetBlackCenter Registered User
    edited June 2005
    Htown wrote:
    The best freeware fighting game out there is not in this topic yet.

It's called "Super Cosplay War Ultra", and it's as weird and funny and awesome as the name wants to sound.

It's basically a 2D fighting game where the characters gain the powers of whoever they're cosplaying as. This is a nice way to spoof, well, just about everything anime. We're talking everything from Evangelion to Gundam to Power Rangers to Digimon.

It's also ludicrously fun, though it's got some of the cheapest boss characters ever. I'm talking bosses that can make SNK's bosses look fair by comparison.

There are two main modes in the SP game: normal and battle royale. Normal is about what you'd expect. In battle royale your character is paired up with another character and you basically fight 2 (or more) characters at the same time.

There are 24 "normal" playable characters, plus about 2 "extra" ones and about 7 that are playable only in battle royale mode. (Rario pwns j00 all, by the way.)

There are only two downsides to the game, IMO. First, most of it (and its website) is in Chinese, so you'll pretty much have to ignore what story there is (in still-pic cutscenes near the end of the game), and miss out on most of the jokes therein.

Second, the game is really, really BIG. The final version is upwards of 240 MB, so 56kers might as well forget it. If you've got a decent connection, though, I HIGHLY recommend it.

You can get it at Team FK's site, here.

Note: You'll have to modify the download instructions slightly if you want to get version being distributed by bittorrent. The password is NOT where the directions say it is for that (slightly older) version - it's "http://go.to/alicuu".

If you get it from the other links, just follow directions.

If you google this game, btw, you might get a page at Home of the Underdogs: this is NOT the current (much better) version of the game.
    Your link to this doesn't seem to work...

schoolrumble4wh6zd.gif341.gif
    BRAWL CODE: 3866-7685-8500
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2005
    Yyyeah. This thread is about a year and a half old. Some of the links may not work right.

• ch0pstikninjach0pstikninja Registered User
    edited June 2005
    Yyyeah. This thread is about a year and a half old. Some of the links may not work right.

Someone here is a necro.

Vin Diesel can drink a packet of Swiss Miss chocolate mix and urinate a steaming cup of hot cocoa.
  • XieflowXieflow Registered User
    edited June 2005
    my god
    the first post hasn't been edited in over a year

I had some links to cool flash games, but I think I'll wait for a new thread