As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suggest a book from Gutenberg.org

Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I came ill prepared for work today and do not have enough to distract me on this slow slow day. Fortunately, a lot of old books that are out of copyright are online for free at Gutenberg.org. Now, I've read a few books from there before, but I'm at a total loss of what to read now.

I suppose the alternate title of this could be "Recommend me some fancy classic literature."

One thing about it, though, I would like the language of it to not be too heavy. On a normal day, I'll need to be able to drop and pick up the train of through multiple times per day.

Niceguy Myeye on

• Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Great Gatsby is high quality and readable, assuming it's on there

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Carmilla by Sheridan Le Fanu, if you like the idea of classic literature featuring lesbian vampires. Arsene Lupin by Maurice leBlanc isn't bad if you want to read about a truly classy thief.

... they're probably not the best novels on Gutenberg, and by no means the most well known, but I'd still recommend them if you wanted to read something different.

Burnage on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll suggest some Maupassant. He mostly wrote short stories, so the maximum time investment for a given piece is pretty low. Also, I find manybooks.net to be a superior resource overall in terms of both browsing and content delivery.

Grid System on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks, guys.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Charles Darwin's The Formation of Vegetable Mould through the Action of Worms, with Observations on Their Habits. Not only is it interesting to read about someone being the very first person to seriously investigate something that we now take for granted (that earthworms have a huge effect on soil compaction), but Charles Darwin is awesome and, at times, hilarious. Like when he tests the worms for auditory reception.
    Worms do not possess any sense of hearing. They took not the least
    notice of the shrill notes from a metal whistle, which was
    repeatedly sounded near them; nor did they of the deepest and
    loudest tones of a bassoon. They were indifferent to shouts, if
    care was taken that the breath did not strike them. When placed on
    a table close to the keys of a piano, which was played as loudly as
    possible, they remained perfectly quiet.

Just imagine that distinguished gentleman blasting whistles and playing bassoons for all these worms in his drawing room. AWESOME.

I certainly skimmed some portions, but a lot of it was surprisingly interested (and I did in fact come away with a new respect for worms.)

LadyM on
  • Options
    WileyWiley In the dirt.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Plenty of good stuff by Charles Dickens. I'd recommend David Copperfield or Bleak House.

Wiley on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Short reads, and it's interesting to read the original source material.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sherlock Holmes! Should be enough there to keep you busy for a while.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is War of the Worlds on there? It's still a pretty good light read over a century later.

Quid on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells

Proposed Roads to Freedom by Bertrand Russell - a good nonfiction political book that is easy to read and still relevant today.

Saddler on
  • Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Candide by Voltaire. Great book with short chapters and the translations on there are in rather plain english. One of my favorite books.

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce or Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

TychoCelchuuu on