As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cartoon movie poster art

falconirefalconire Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Artist's Corner
Every so often I do a cartoon movie poster for my site. The last one I posted here got mixed results so I'll show a few more here and see what people think.

punisher.jpg

batdarren.jpg

falconire on

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dude, just stop.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah what earthworm said. Colors are awful to look at and the jokes are 3x as bad. Start with a box or other simple object. Develop form. Start from the -very- beginning if you want to see your stuff develop.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    What do you mean by 'very beginning'?

falconire on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Careful, or you'll get your hands taken away from you. Motor skills are something you have to earn.

tynic on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The beginning as in learn to draw a cube, learn how lighting effects it. Learn basic anatomy etc etc. Stop doing these eyesores with terrible jokes (i hesitate to even use that word) slapped on them.

Lly on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    falconire wrote:
    What do you mean by 'very beginning'?

YOU

DO

NOT

KNOW

HOW

TO

DRAW.

YOU

SHOULD

LEARN

HOW

TO

DRAW.

As for this? This doesn't even warrant an original reply.

AAA.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oh AoB. How i love it when you get mad!

*swoon*

Lly on
  • Options
    SupernothingSupernothing Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Have you ever thought of using gradients? They really add a nice layer of depth to the piece. Also, you should play around with filters in photoshop; they can be really fun as well as exciting little accents to spice it up!

Supernothing on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm with AoB here.
    1hourdonotwantbd7.gif

Start with the absolute basics, you need to learn them before moving forward.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    YOU

DO

NOT

KNOW

HOW

TO

DRAW.

YOU

SHOULD

LEARN

HOW

TO

DRAW.

Go suck a dick asshole. If you've got something serious to say about how to make a piece better than do that. However, flaming is fucked up.

falconire on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Have you ever thought of using gradients? They really add a nice layer of depth to the piece. Also, you should play around with filters in photoshop; they can be really fun as well as exciting little accents to spice it up!

I've recently started using shading, which these two pieces don't have. Let me show you an example and let me know if you think it looks better (I feel it does).

donttouch.jpg

falconire on
  • Options
    AstoriteAstorite Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Look bud, people are being nice to you. They are not flaming you, because this is about as nice as they can be in response to your repeated posts of art that shows no improvement.

Every time someone says something sucks about your art, you do not seem to understand.

Your art shows no basic development or training or whatever.

Maybe you spend time on this stuff, but that's only because you haven't worked on the basics first. So for the most part, it all looks like effortless garbage.

Stop defending your crap, and start developing it.

And your jokes are pretty lame.

Edit:

To be nice, here's an assignment:

Download this: (One of AoB's links that he quite nicely offered to you, you know, to help?)
    http://danzig.lunarpages.com/~iseeno3/files/loomisfiguredrawing.pdf

Or purchase one of the other books AoB listed in his links.

Read the entire book(s), and do like, 50 million studies based off of what's written there, or just studies of what's already in there. At least that would be better than the nothing you're working from.

Astorite on
    Uh.
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Again with the gay jokes?

It is not smart to get all pissy with everyone that gives you legitimate advice, AOB is pretty legit.

PS: Abstain from the gay jokes...most people in the art world don`t like right-wing conservative bastards like you.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    Lexx KYSDSLexx KYSDS Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    falconire wrote:
    YOU

DO

NOT

KNOW

HOW

TO

DRAW.

YOU

SHOULD

LEARN

HOW

TO

DRAW.

Go suck a dick asshole. If you've got something serious to say about how to make a piece better than do that. However, flaming is fucked up.

Quit bitching and start clicking. Each word in YOU SHOULD LEARN HOW TO DRAW is a link to a useful resource that you would almost certainly benefit from looking into. He didn't even make you go out and do your own research or check the tutorial thread, it's like a present. MERRY PRE-EMPTIVE CHRISTMAS.

As your gift to me, please engage yourself in some independant study and come back when you've made an effort to improve.

Lexx KYSDS on
  • Options
    Sir PeechizworthSir Peechizworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    falconire wrote:
    Go suck a dick asshole... flaming is fucked up.

um... Contradict yourself much?

also: flaming a mod is the best idea ever.

Sir Peechizworth on
    If it don't Blam, we don't want it.
  • Options
    M2tMM2tM Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wow, guys, this stuff is fucking awesome. Great work... Do you take commissions?

M2tM on
    "We can be richer than industry as long as we know that there are things that we don't really need." -Willy Mason
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    falconire wrote:
    YOU

DO

NOT

KNOW

HOW

TO

DRAW.

YOU

SHOULD

LEARN

HOW

TO

DRAW.

QuietYou.jpg

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I particularly like the shaded piece... the way the breeze block at the bottom has it's shadow on the right, and the box on top has it's shadow on the left really helps the picture...

you clearly have never seen a shadow... or just paid no attention. not every item in every room has a dark side, a light side, and a middle side...

set up a stack of shit, look at it, observe the shadows, make quick sketches using just panels of shade rather than drawing the items...
    then push them over and get boned like the guy in the picture does

Seriously.. shading doesn't just mean putting some dark bits and some light bits... do yourself a favour and look up the link in AoB's post, get out of your asshole, what you're doing is not good, in any way.... your characters are uninspired, your backgrounds apalling, your anatomy, pen control, colouring choices, everything about it is weak... no matter your age, you can stop your bad habits and start afresh.

Also... you've got to learn that "gay" jokes, just aren't funny. They weren't funny 10 years ago, and even less so now. you may well spend all your day with your friends going "olol so and so is so gay" but it will not win you any fans in the real world. It's lazy, offensive to some, and just makes you sound ignorant and stupid... so cut it out.

also, serious question... did you really post this here expecting someone to praise it? for real? are you proud of these drawings? did you put the finishing touches on them and go "fuck yeah, i'm on fire today"? if you did... there may well be no hope for you :| even the best artists need that spark to improve, or they just won't go anywhere, I come to these forums to get the "holy fuck that's good, i need to practice more so i can try something like that" ass kick i need to improve my own work, if you're not trying to improve... then you just shouldn't post things like this :?

ps. stop drawing characters with one big eye and one small eye, it's not "zany" it's not "quirky" it just looks stupid.

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    falconire wrote:

I've recently started using shading, which these two pieces don't have. Let me show you an example and let me know if you think it looks better (I feel it does).

donttouch.jpg

Wow, that's a lot better! You're definitely making some improvements!

I took that image and made a few touch ups that I think you should keep in mind for your next piece!

Untitled-1.jpg

Supernothing on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So, I seldom venture out of the Photo thread due to my utter lack of ability to draw or paint. But I just have to ask - what's supposed to be funny in these?

Let's take the "do not touch" for example. The closest I see to humor in the piece is the fact that a bunch of junk is precariously stacked and liable to fall at any moment and has a sign that says to not touch. Why are those objects there? Who put the sign there rather than simply unstacking them? This is certainly odd, but it's not funny. Then the character touches it (and who imagined he wouldn't touch it ... is so obvious) and then it falls. There is no surprise in either of these (surprise being one element that can be used for humor), and it's not funny.

Now, if in the 3rd panel we saw the aftermath of the falling rather than it falling iteself, and maybe he had the bowling ball somehow in his mouth and the lamp poking out of one nostril ... well, it'd still be lame but it'd be closer to funny in my opinion.

But really, as it is now, what did you imagine the humor was in the first place?

erisian pope on
  • Options
    ArrPiratesArrPirates Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Wow, that's a lot better! You're definitely making some improvements!

I took that image and made a few touch ups that I think you should keep in mind for your next piece!

imgage

And never before, such win was seen.

Srsly guy. Falconire. You should take this mans advice. Try to use as many lensflares as possible, and always use the filter "difference clouds" for your backgrounds. That will make your art 2xAwesome. That's DOUBLE AWESOME

ArrPirates on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    God. When i looked at that closer (the don't touch one) all i could see was this.

Apologies everyone!

ohgodno.jpg

Lly on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    See, that's amost funny. Everything else in this thread is painfully, painfully bad.

Those movie posters... just... wow... nothing good there.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I like the use of the default MS Paint colour pallet... Seriously, how much $ to get an original work off you?

M2tM on
    "We can be richer than industry as long as we know that there are things that we don't really need." -Willy Mason
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Shit gay fuck piss.

Ha ha ha ha ha! :lol:

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I see your profanity and raise you a:

Holy Christ fucking an aborted fetus, Batman!

M2tM on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    That's not funny.

DMAC on
  • Options
    StudioZELStudioZEL ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Holy Christ fucking an aborted fetus, Batman!

:cry::cry:

StudioZEL on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ugh!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    DMAC wrote:
    That's not funny.
    I thought it was moderately chortle worthy.

Supernothing on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    falconire wrote:
    donttouch.jpg

<3 Transtech Decpticon symbol.

I shouldn't be condoning just pasting images you found on the web into your 'art', but right now it's the only redeeming feature of that comic.

Also, what's up with that Batman poster? Is the joke that he look more like a Batgirl.?

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So wait, is the consensus that this guy is serious, and not just an elaborate troll? :o

Sheri on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think so Sheri, Ive seen him make posts in other threads that suggests he is interested in the community.

But really, it would be better if it was an elaborate troll.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sublimus wrote:
    I think so Sheri, Ive seen him make posts in other threads that suggests he is interested in the community.

That's actually really, really depressing. :(

Sheri on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The first picture... (punisher)
    - the bottle is badly drawn, not rounded, the sides dont match, there is no curve on the label and the label doesn't even look like the real thing
    - the top black slab on top of the bottle neck doesn't match the rest of it.
    - the gun in the right hand (his) looks like horseshit, the other isn't terrible.
    - his arm anatomy is goofy and appears to have a joint in the middle of his forearms.
    - all black, all the time on the clothing (save the logo) looks bad and like a giant blob.
    - people's feet DON'T do that (on purpose)
    - the text on the bottom looks horrible
    - the text on the top looks bad
    - the piece has no texture, no shading, no lighting, and appears to be a 10 minute job

The second one... (batman)
    -paintbucket filling the lines and not cleaning them up makes it look like horseshit
    - black lines with black filler makes the anatomy look worse that it actually is
    - what's with his feet?
    - the text is hard to read
    - the gay jokes aren't funny anymore, they never were actually
    - no shading, no texture, no lighting whatsoever
    - no background or environment
    - looks like a crappy pencil sketch, scanned in, filled in, slapped with text and posted to the intertubes.
    - wait, is that piss in the corner of his eye?

The comic
    - The eyes look really bad
    - there doesnt appear to really be a joke here (in fact the edit of.... forget his/her name is actually funnier)
    - the shading doesn't actually take a light source into account and is just slapped wherever without due cause
    - the anatomy is a little better here but the pointy shoulder in the second panel and the bent forearm in the third ruin it a little.

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jandaru wrote:
    <3 Transtech Decpticon symbol.

...that he obviously copy-pasted from somewhere.
    Sheri wrote:
    So wait, is the consensus that this guy is serious, and not just an elaborate troll? :o

No, B-A-M is the troll.

GAWD, Sheri, get it right! :o

...actually, this guy seems to actually enjoy posting his art, but he doesn't do fuck-shit-anything to remedy any of his problems. The difference between him and the other guy, though, seem to be that this one gets up in arms over everything, yet does nothing we suggest to him. The other guy doesn't bother replying at all, unless it's to further a flame-war.

Hey, Falc, you know what that tells me? That you don't really care about your art. Maybe if you took some advice here, and oh, I don't know...actually tried to vomit out something respectable, you wouldn't be getting replies like this. I really don't understand how you're not getting it. When you post the same stuff over and over and over again in a forum that promotes working towards improvement, and you seriously don't bother taking ANY advice at all, and you just post more shit that harbors the same problems...what the hell else do you expect?

"wow dude that is so sweet."
    "hey duder you need to work on this again, but ya know I'll just say it 5 more times because maybe you missed my last post. ;) ok peace bro"

???

Because that will totally not happen if you continue along this path of idiocy!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sheri wrote:
    Sublimus wrote:

That's actually really, really depressing. :(
    untitled1tc5.jpg

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Actually I have taken advise from people in this forum. Looking back, I would not have put the movie posters up as they do look unfinished for one thing. I will fire back if what people say is just flaming, like when someone says 'It sucks' and nothing else. However, I don't plan to post anymore art on this forum for a couple of months at this point so I can change a few things and maybe then come back and see if people can see an improvement.

falconire on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    falconire wrote:
    Actually I have taken advise from people in this forum. Looking back, I would not have put the movie posters up as they do look unfinished for one thing. I will fire back if what people say is just flaming, like when someone says 'It sucks' and nothing else. However, I don't plan to post anymore art on this forum for a couple of months at this point so I can change a few things and maybe then come back and see if people can see an improvement.
    :^:

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Lastly, since I started posting art on forums like this I've changed my comic and art leaps and bounds. The first time I had my site bashed for its garish look and poor navigation (I'd never built a site before) and after redoing it my hits doubled and I started actually getting complements on it. With the artwork, someone said using different thicknesses of inking would look better and I should try shading. Both of I've done and the strips look a lot better. Also, as of now I plan to use lighter backgrounds after people constantly complain about them. Now by no means are my pieces perfect or anything but in time with more practice they will get better.

falconire on
This discussion has been closed.