As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Dawn of War II: The Balancing

• JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As someone who doesn't own the game I like the viddler video.

JJ on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    I can't believe you guys still play this game.

[Response to your post goes here, validating your trolling]

The_Scarab on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't mind autocover that much. In the grand scale of things, it's not even on my radar.

Mostly because it's busy flashing "RAVENER TUNNELS DEFENDED AG HORMS FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK EVERYTHING"

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't even understand why Defend is a factor, the damage reduction is only against ranged and AG gaunts are fast/plentiful enough to have all your shit tied up almost instantly.

Akira on
    akira.gif
    edited August 2009
    Akira wrote: »
    I don't even understand why Defend is a factor, the damage reduction is only against ranged and AG gaunts are fast/plentiful enough to have all your shit tied up almost instantly.
    No, it works in melee too. What, you trust the tooltip? Remember conceal/distort field?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm at my low trueskill level I don't encounter too many 'nid players and the other 3 races are equal enough that any imbalances can be overcome. From the attitude in this thread it seems this will change as my trueskill raises and normalizes.

Melee's bonus dmg on retreating is quick annoying though.

side note: Warlock's warp throw is so awesome!

NebulousQ on
    edited August 2009
    Here's a tip for anyone that wants to be good at the game. Spam one unit. Guardians, banshees, horms, TSM, sluggas, shootas, it doesn't matter. Just spam that power-free unit and kill their generators with your unkillable hoard and tech up to anti-tank units. Bonus for Eldar going banshees, you don't even really need to get a t2 unit, so go right on through to fire prisms.

You're now unbeatable because you don't need to know anything about attack move but that's okay, because if something's easy to use that doesn't mean it's broken, ergo spamming one unit isn't broken.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    I hate this game and everyone who plays it.

Akira on
    akira.gif
    edited August 2009
    JJ wrote: »
    As someone who does own the game I wish I'd taken the $50 and burned it because then at least I would get some entertainment out of it.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I really want this game to not be so fucking broken, because it could be really, really good.

You can see the bar of gold, or the diamond, or the gem, or whatever you want to use in this metaphor, but it's covered by an elephant's weight in pure poop. And honestly, who wants to dig through that?

Mustachio Jones on
  • NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    Here's a tip for anyone that wants to be good at the game. Spam one unit. Guardians, banshees, horms, TSM, sluggas, shootas, it doesn't matter. Just spam that power-free unit and kill their generators with your unkillable hoard and tech up to anti-tank units. Bonus for Eldar going banshees, you don't even really need to get a t2 unit, so go right on through to fire prisms.

You're now unbeatable because you don't need to know anything about attack move but that's okay, because if something's easy to use that doesn't mean it's broken, ergo spamming one unit isn't broken.

I am not sure if you are joking, but spaming one unit type doesn't seem to work in the games I've played. If your opponent combines a few counters and you could be in for real trouble if you just keep spamming that unit.

Also guardians are freaking horrible at power harrassment. OMG they do no damage to the generators without their nades, even with their nades they take forever to take down generators. =(

NebulousQ on
    edited August 2009
    Though I hate the Relic devs most of all.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Didn't you also buy COH? And now DOW2 and presumably the first one and a couple of expansions maybe? You have a strange way or displaying hate. Usually when you hate someone you don't give them a hundred dollars.

The_Scarab on
  • DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, DoW2 killed my Video card, unfortunately. Ironically enough I normally only play 1v1, but this was after a 3v3 that looked more intense then any Michael Bay film I've ever seen.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
    edited August 2009
    I have not bought any of the CoHs or Soulstorm.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tarranon has changed their name to Tarr "Fuck you, Tyranids" anon.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • vader111vader111 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JJ wrote: »
    As someone who does own the game I wish I'd taken the $50 and burned it because then at least I would get some entertainment out of it.

I sense an apotheosis approaching.

Attention all passengers: prepare for the denoument.

Also, I want to back to the original beta.

vader111 on
    steam_sig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I still want the beta back.

You know, when the game was actually fun and suppression units were worth more than shit.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't remember, how were the suppression units different?

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I regret paying full price for DoW2 more than any other game I've paid full price for, and I bought The Temple of Elemental Evil on launch day.

Relic is a bunch of tricksters. Making me think it would stay fun with the beta and then ruining it days after I pre-ordered but promising to fix it by retail.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Half price ftw.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited August 2009
    DudBolt wrote: »
    I don't remember, how were the suppression units different?

Suppression units suppressed very quickly and units in the suppression if they didn't retreat would be killed very quickly as well. Making them quite worth while and requiring hard counters to really deal with. You could not just run up to a suppression weapon and destroy it for example.

This is back before the retail.

I've still found no version of the game more fun and interesting than that beta.

Aegeri on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I kind of want a dev to come in here and lie to me and say they are working on a new patch and oh man it will make things so great. The silence is what kills me.

Well, that and the game. But also: silence.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I know its been said, but the retreat/melee interplay has basically terribled out the entire game. The whole thing was demonstrated to me with ugly finality when I had one of my lone banshee squads confronted by the enemy warlock and his requisite 2 banshees in tow. I went to retreat but as I was about to the warlock knocked down my entire squad, with the yellow arrow of doom sitting above their heads as they sat on their asses. This gave the 2 banshee squads time to close on mine and they were dead in <3 seconds.

I'm not bitching because I lost a squad, just that the lethality of melee units is like they come from an entirely different game to the ranged ones.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited August 2009
    This is a true story: In the beta ranged units could kill things.

By shooting at them.

Shocking I know.

Aegeri on
    edited August 2009
    It just fucking drives me insane that melee units can run down and kill my entire retreating squads, but as soon as some fucks run away from me my guns start shooting blanks.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But if they didn't do extra damage it wouldn't be economical using melee armies. That's why the devs made the game like they did - great!. Seeing 3 or 4 or 5 or fucking whatever AG horm squads chasing down and killing half my army every time my opponent decides to attack move his blob with strangler in tow just proves their point and shows awesome they are at this balancing thing.

Estilo on
    edited August 2009
    NebulousQ wrote: »

I am not sure if you are joking, but spaming one unit type doesn't seem to work in the games I've played. If your opponent combines a few counters and you could be in for real trouble if you just keep spamming that unit.

Also guardians are freaking horrible at power harrassment. OMG they do no damage to the generators without their nades, even with their nades they take forever to take down generators. =(
    Are you serious? Two guardians take down a generator farm faster than the enemy can reinforce from a grenade. Then again, you're using grenades on generators, which is pretty dumb.

The words "hard counters" lose meaning when you realize there's no hard counter to a spam. Three guardians wipe out infantry in seconds at no power cost. Then you just tech straight up and blow your power on whatever you want because you have a huge stock pile of it.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Maybe it's time for Relic to get another email from me telling them to kill themselves and/or hire me.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I love how I come back to the DOW2 thread for about the first time since before the beta patch was even news, and people are upset about the same fucking things they were upset about when the game hit retail. It's really just incredible.

BloodySloth on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's totally without rancour now; they are merely actors playing their part in the stage that is the great Dow2 thread.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • RetzinskyRetzinsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is such a beautiful progression of posts. Call me a misery vampire or whatever, but I can't help but smile:
    No, it works in melee too. What, you trust the tooltip? Remember conceal/distort field?
    I hate this game and everyone who plays it.

After our disaster yesterday, Dalzi, DoA and myself turned to the dark side and played a couple of games like complete dickheaded dickheads. The first was against people pretty much playing their first game. If they play a second one, I'll be surprised. The next game was against a TS 28/29 team which should have made for a close game, except we all picked Lictor. None of us play nids, but we made the other team look completely fucking ordinary. It was a joke how easy it was. I built two squads of Horms (for three total) and gave them the AG upgrade. The next unit I built was a Screamer-Killer and there was hardly anything left for it to shoot at. We'd completely crushed the enemy team with a handful of squads of the basic fucking unit. I could have sleepwalked to victory. I think we wanted to kill ourselves when the match ended, it was a complete horrorshow.

Retzinsky on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So rather than fixing Tyranids it's even easier than before 1.5. Who needs tunnels when you can walk across the map in 10 seconds.

GJ relic. Ought to teach them NOT to buff units "as compensation for nerfing terribly OP units" like rippers. It's a terrible idea. Nerf what's OP and leave it at fucking that. No unnecessary compensations. No buffing up terms to OP status should you nerf AG Horms. Don't. It will never end like this.
    Tarranon wrote: »
    I kind of want a dev to come in here and lie to me and say they are working on a new patch and oh man it will make things so great.

Well, there are new modes coming. Probably defend missions against NPC controlled tyranids (the tyranids that build more than 1-2 different units).

Alegis on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    REPLAY PLEASE DARLING THESE MAKE GREAT FODDER FOR THE SHOUTCAST MILL

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Replays for the shoutcast throne!!!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We demand you save the best hateplays you can find, otherwise we're forced to rely upon GameReplays and then Goomba will stomp on our heads. 8(

On another note, Scouts.

As much as I hate Scout spam, I still think Scouts on their own a) don't fulfil their role of anti-melee very well at all, and b) have a lot of power-demanding upgrades for one of the most fragile units on the game.

And honestly, I think they should give them grenades by default, and possibly give Infiltration to the Sargeant rather than have it as a third t1 power sink that few people use. As it is, scouts can push back one melee squad per shotgun upgrade. This doesn't deal a great deal of damage; the actual countering of the squad is left to supporting units. So for example, whereas melee units counter Tacs or Shootas should they meet in a skirmish, Scouts will always lose despite being the 'anti-melee' unit of SM.

Giving them grenades by default while keeping them as fragile units would at least help resolve this because 'nades actually are anti-melee when used well, meaning that without power requiring upgrades, they would counter what they're supposed to damn well counter. The power upgrade (i.e. shotgun) would make them better at it, surprise, surprise, like how most of the power upgrades work for the other units' basic roles. And at the same time, if they're kept fragile, since most ranged units counter scouts nicely, they shouldn't become an anti-everything unit.

On one further note, has anyone seen a Waaagh banner in multiplayer? I mean ever?

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Once. Mekboy built like two of them and got stomped.

Pop cost is rather high (5). Takes 15 sec to build, destroyed quickly and is 75 req. And a great way to feed the opponent 25 zeal. 6% less incoming damage (normal and courage), 6% more damage, speed + 0.25, radius of 40. Not sure if it stacks with multiple banners.

Alegis on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited August 2009
    I have not bought any of the CoHs or Soulstorm.
    CoH is good. Much, much better than DoW2.

I mean it's not perfect but it's better.

[edit]The most infuriating thing about DOW2 is that a lot of the issues could be put into a more manageable state if Relic would only man up and put in hard caps. Literally the only people who will care are the people who play to each imbalance in each race in every patch; the people who were spamming Tacs in 1.3, and are currently spamming AG Horms.

bongi on
  • RetzinskyRetzinsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DoA forbade me to ever share the scout spam game. I didn't save the Team Lictor game but I'll ask to see if the other two have it.

I saw a Waaagh banner recently but I think it was only under construction and I remember winning the game pretty easily. Back in 1.3 I played 2v2 where a Mekboy spammed Waaagh banners, maybe as many as 12 on one screen. Needless to say it didn't work.

Retzinsky on
  • Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    (...) Not sure if it stacks with multiple banners.

They do stack with eachothers. They still don't do anything in the current version however. If you could actually build them within a reasonable window of time along with a reduction to 50 req maybe.

Vic_Hazard on