Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Charcuterie 101 - The Silence you hear is the meat deliciousifying...

1789101113»

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    you have to cook it

typically you make it in the oven, but it's low/slow for sure

yup low and slow, I have a dehydrator as well but after doing it in the smoker I haven't bothered with it again.

Xaquin
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Farangu wrote: »
    I am sad that the smoker has to reside in the garage until March/April

unless you are getting a ton of rain or snow you can still smoke, coldest I have done it at was -15 Celsius with my WSM.

Really? The metal feels too thin to really keep heat in, and I got a lot of temperature variation when it got quite windy on thanksgiving.

Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    Chicago Megagame group
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I am sad that the smoker has to reside in the garage until March/April

unless you are getting a ton of rain or snow you can still smoke, coldest I have done it at was -15 Celsius with my WSM.

Really? The metal feels too thin to really keep heat in, and I got a lot of temperature variation when it got quite windy on thanksgiving.

Just did ribs 3/2/1 style so they were in foil for 2 hours of it. It wasn't a windy day when I did it at -15 so that helped too. You use more charcoal to maintain the heat but it works just fine, if it still needs some cooking toss em in the oven for a bit after, at that point they are about as smokey as they will get. Not sure I would want to do anything like a brisket in that weather unless I had modded my WSM with temp controller.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Get over yourself. Registered User regular
    So I upped my smoke game from a couple of Terracotta pots to a Char Griller Akorn Kamado grill.

I love this thing. Easy to bring to temp, easy to maintain temp, and it looks pretty good. Only problem being is 1) it was missing a latch for the ash try so I have to ghetto rig some zip ties to get a seal while I wait for the latch to come in the mail and 2) there's some leaks going on somewhere because it's taking a long ass time to extinguish the flame after closing the vents. 1 is no big deal and 2 can be fix with some RTF gasket material or nomex felt.

One day I'll own a honest to goodness ceramic smoker but until then I'll enjoy this Akorn.

steam_sig.png
    Xaquindarkmayo
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Question for you all - what basic guidelines do you use for how long to brine meat for? I have some pork loin that I want to brine and smoke for a work thing coming up in like three weeks, and the last time I did brining(corned beef) the meat didn't have pink salt penetrate to the center, because it was standard done-beef gray instead of that pink-salt-infused pink/red.

Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    Chicago Megagame group
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
1789101113»