Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines | Team Jacob and Team Edward Eaten by Tzimisces

2456762

Posts

  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I got a question for everyone:

    Am I the only one who really didn't like Nines? The guy always struck me as being just a slightly different flavor of condecending prick from the prince.

    Spoiler:
  • XaevXaev Registered User
    edited July 2009
    I played through as a Malk when I first bought the game almost two years ago and I just recently restarted as a Tremere. I'm shocked at what a different experience it is.
    Spoiler:

    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • kaliyamakaliyama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i lived for about 4 years in santa monica. it's weird seeing their design of it. it's definately more noirish. but i wish they were a little more true to LA - or got the feel of downtown or other places down more. they're actually more depressing. downtown is actually devoid of foot traffic at night, pretty much, besides the vagrants.

    fwKS7.png?1
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    a game that's true to the city it's set in is actually pretty rare, aside from including local landmarks. I mean, "hollywood" didn't feel very distinctive to me at all; just a couple clubs and a hotel and a convenience store?

    gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    'we got hella people, they got helicopters'
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Xaev wrote: »
    I played through as a Malk when I first bought the game almost two years ago and I just recently restarted as a Tremere. I'm shocked at what a different experience it is.
    Spoiler:

    I found firearms to be so much more effective than anything else, as long as you pump up your skill. By endgame, nothing could survive blood purge -> empty weapon, with any of the fancy endgame guns.

    steam_sig.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    i was playing the game for a bit

    got up to the end of the downtown quests

    then decided to install the fan patch and start over because histories and shit looked rad

    aaaaaand the fan patch made it so you can't go up in the elevator to take to jeanette

    which basically stopped the main quest

    so

    the fan patch pretty much broke the whole game for me

    so fuck it

    I had that problem briefly. Reloading fixed it.

    How can a person not play these games with noclip at the ready?

  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    i was playing the game for a bit

    got up to the end of the downtown quests

    then decided to install the fan patch and start over because histories and shit looked rad

    aaaaaand the fan patch made it so you can't go up in the elevator to take to jeanette

    which basically stopped the main quest

    so

    the fan patch pretty much broke the whole game for me

    so fuck it

    I had that problem briefly. Reloading fixed it.

    How can a person not play these games with noclip at the ready?

    I've never used noclip to get unstuck from stuff in this game, because I've never been stuck in things with just the official patch yet. The first time I used it was to skip the Warrens after my first two playthroughs and now on every subsequent one, because fuck that shit.

    Cronyx wrote:
    Also, it isn't representative of "my actual self" either. That's technically my LARP character.
    PSN: Fiatil
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've had to noclip past obstacles or faulty quest triggers three times before reaching Hollywood with the basic fan patch installed.

  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    the lesson here is to ditch the fan patch

    gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    'we got hella people, they got helicopters'
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    the lesson here is to ditch the fan patch

    "The fan patch broke one game so never use it" makes about as much sense as "Tube's game just broke because he didn't use the fan patch so use it."

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As far as the shit-storm goes in the previous thread.
    Spoiler:

    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The one time I was stuck on a door wasn't fixed by noclip, oddly enough, but by the forced frenzy command in the console.

  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    also funny bug?: I had my entire intro conversation with beckett with him in wolf form, so it was a nice conversation with a pair of ears

    gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    'we got hella people, they got helicopters'
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User
    edited July 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    also funny bug?: I had my entire intro conversation with beckett with him in wolf form, so it was a nice conversation with a pair of ears

    It's worse than that. I had it bug out so that all I see is a pair of ears at groin level, with the wolf head bobbing back and forth.

    D:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Huh, you know I never noticed you could knock down a water tower thing at the Sabbat warehouse by shooting the gas can. I have no idea why you would do such a thing.

    I also never noticed that in the abandoned building you start in there's a dresser with drawers you can open, but there is nothing in them. I think there's only that one dresser in the entire game that does that. It might be the only dresser in all of Source that does that.

    I think those two gas cans are like the only shootable explosives in the entire game. So weird.

  • f-k-tf-k-t Registered User
    edited July 2009
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So I got a question for everyone:

    Am I the only one who really didn't like Nines? The guy always struck me as being just a slightly different flavor of condecending prick from the prince.

    I don't know that I found him condescending, but I don't think I liked him nearly as much as the writers wanted me to. They push him hard as this cool and aloof badass type, especially in your first meeting, and it just rubbed me the wrong way. It felt like I was being rescued by Elminster with fangs. Talking to him in the Last Round made him a bit more likeable for me.

    In general though, I just didn't gel with the anarchs. The more pragmatic ones, like Jack and Skelter, I'm cool with. The crusader/idealist types, less so. Nines seemed stuck in the thirties, looking at the world from the murky bottom of the depression and seeing everything through that Grapes of Wrath-colored lens. He kind of has a point - as it turns out, there really are titanic forces beyond our understanding and control, and we really are at the mercy of them. They just happen to be elder kindred, not the company store. But I had the feeling that he was stuck in that Nines vs. The Man mindset no matter what the actual circumstances around him, that he'd always be very much a product of the time of his embrace.

    As for Damsel, I was digging her whole spitfire thing up until she started opining and philosophizing. Her bit about how communism could actually work for vampires was supremely goofy. Couldn't take her at all seriously after that, even though she could probably kick my ass. One of the reasons I took to Skelter was his dismissal of Damsel as the "college girl".

  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User
    edited July 2009
    Nines was a massively condescending dickhead.
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So I got a question for everyone:

    Am I the only one who really didn't like Nines? The guy always struck me as being just a slightly different flavor of condecending prick from the prince.

    I got a similar vibe from him, it was like he really wanted to be a down to earth man-of-the-people style dude, but couldn't get over being a bit of a smug self-satisfied douchebag.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    the lesson here is to ditch the fan patch

    "The fan patch broke one game so never use it" makes about as much sense as "Tube's game just broke because he didn't use the fan patch so use it."

    My game breaking had nothing to do with that though. The bug I got isn't fixed by the fan patch, and reinstalling and copying my saves fixed it. There are plenty of other good reasons not to use the fan patch, such as the fact that it's fucking stupid. There was recently a discussion on the fan patch forum thread as to whether or not the reference to "rockerfeller" in the money description should be changed because "that's when you have like 5000 dollars and rockerfeller is much richer than that".

    Buncha fucking rocket scientists.

    If you'd like an anime thread, please PM me to discuss it. Include pics/video of your favorites.
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2009
    f-k-t wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So I got a question for everyone:

    Am I the only one who really didn't like Nines? The guy always struck me as being just a slightly different flavor of condecending prick from the prince.

    I don't know that I found him condescending, but I don't think I liked him nearly as much as the writers wanted me to. They push him hard as this cool and aloof badass type, especially in your first meeting, and it just rubbed me the wrong way. It felt like I was being rescued by Elminster with fangs. Talking to him in the Last Round made him a bit more likeable for me.

    In general though, I just didn't gel with the anarchs. The more pragmatic ones, like Jack and Skelter, I'm cool with. The crusader/idealist types, less so. Nines seemed stuck in the thirties, looking at the world from the murky bottom of the depression and seeing everything through that Grapes of Wrath-colored lens. He kind of has a point - as it turns out, there really are titanic forces beyond our understanding and control, and we really are at the mercy of them. They just happen to be elder kindred, not the company store. But I had the feeling that he was stuck in that Nines vs. The Man mindset no matter what the actual circumstances around him, that he'd always be very much a product of the time of his embrace.

    As for Damsel, I was digging her whole spitfire thing up until she started opining and philosophizing. Her bit about how communism could actually work for vampires was supremely goofy. Couldn't take her at all seriously after that, even though she could probably kick my ass. One of the reasons I took to Skelter was his dismissal of Damsel as the "college girl".

    The writers didn't "want" you to like Nines. The way he came off to you is how he was written. You could come out of the last round thinking "Those Anarchs are awesome! Down with the man!" or you could come out thinking "Nines is naive, Damsel is an idiot and Skelter is a conspiracy theorist (who turns out to be riiiiiight)". The anarchs are more sympathetic than LaCroix certainly, but they aren't the "right" option any more than Strauss is. Nines is perhaps more likeable than most characters because he saves your life, twice, but the game still portrays his struggle as somewhat naive and gives you the option to tell him such. Note that he's not on Rosa's list of people you can trust.

    If you'd like an anime thread, please PM me to discuss it. Include pics/video of your favorites.
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There are plenty of other good reasons not to use the fan patch, such as the fact that it's fucking stupid.

    Your logic is unassailable, not to mention fucking stupid.

  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2009
    Well someone certainly has their knickers in a twist.

    If you'd like an anime thread, please PM me to discuss it. Include pics/video of your favorites.
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    valtzy wrote: »
    Playing this game really shows how depressingly terrible fallout 3 and other modern RPGs are. Where have all the writers gone, jesus christ.

    They're working on Alpha Protocol.

    Also Fallout New Vegas. And Mass Effect 2.

    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Lia ParkerLia Parker __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2009
    Wow ! i missed that point.

  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User
    edited July 2009
    I'm getting around to reinstalling this, but I want to wait for the added Clan-specific sidequests.

    Which patch is the one that switches some of the item rewards/locations around? I seem to remember that one making (at least some) sense.

    Also, is it possible to get a rundown of the official and unofficial patches, and what they do?

  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I liked Strauss
    Spoiler:

  • DuffelDuffel Registered User
    edited July 2009
    As far as Nines goes I always liked him. A lot of the way he treats you early on has to do with your clan. If you're a Brujah or a gangrel, for instance, he warms to you much more quickly (his dialogue during your first meeting is different, I know, and I think it's easier to get through his early dialogues in the Last Round without pissing him off if you play as one of those clans). If you're a Ventrue or a Toreador he seems to think you're already a Camarilla patsy and is kind of a dickbag ("Watch your ass, newbie, this ain't the suburbs").

    Personally I always liked the Anarchs in general. If you don't let Damsel piss you off and keep your responses to her civil, she quits screaming at you and is much easier to tolerate (although she's still one of the more obnoxious characters in the game). The same goes for Skelter - don't get in a big-dick contest with him and he warms up to you as well. And of course I couldn't help but like Jack - yeah, he's manipulating you through the whole game, but he's such a badass while he does it you can't help but respect him a little bit.
    Spoiler:

    Nines did strike me as a little naive and his "fight the power" shtick got tiresome really quickly. But the bottom line for me, when it comes to the ending, is usually this. Nines saved my life twice, while nobody else in the game ever lifted the finger to help me. I owe him one. Also, by the end of the game I've made enemies of a lot of dangerous people - the Giovanni, Kuei-Jin and the Sabbat - and if I'm going to live very long after the end of the game I'm going to need some allies, even if they are a little obnoxious or naive.

    For what it's worth, though, my actual sympathies lie more with guys like Strauss and Bertram. They seemed to have a much more realistic outlook toward how to run undead society and the WoD doesn't seem to be a place kind to idealism. But I have a hard time liking or supporting the Camarilla when my introduction to them was nearly my own execution for something I couldn't even help.

  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2009
    It's actually, as far as I know, impossible to get the free training from Nines without saying a couple of things that will kind of piss him off.

    If you'd like an anime thread, please PM me to discuss it. Include pics/video of your favorites.
  • DuffelDuffel Registered User
    edited July 2009
    It's actually, as far as I know, impossible to get the free training from Nines without saying a couple of things that will kind of piss him off.
    Part of that was because you just had poor dialogue choices in your first real dialogue tree with Nines. Most of the time the PC's dialogue was pretty good and gave you lots of options (and was even, occasionally, hilarious; one of my favorite lines was when Therese is forcing you to deal with her ghost problem and you can tell her that you're "Sick of this Halloween bullshit").

    When you're dealing with Nines, though, for some reason the game makes you say some really dumb shit that anybody with common sense would know not to say. I know I was a young vampire, and OOC I knew nothing about the WoD before I played through Bloodlines, but I'd already figured out that Nines wasn't exactly a "prince" and was more of an informal leader, and obviously wouldn't take kindly to being called one. But the game makes you do it anyway, even if you're trying to be as open-minded and polite as possible.

    The only free training I can remember is asking about the history of LA (he gives you an unarmed point for that IIRC), which I didn't think pissed him off too much. I know there's the option to get a firearm point from him later in the game but I can't remember what brings that one up at all.

  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A quick question about Strauss:
    Spoiler:

    Also, I really like VV.
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2009
    Spoiler:

    If you'd like an anime thread, please PM me to discuss it. Include pics/video of your favorites.
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A quick question about Strauss:
    Spoiler:
    I'm only speculating here, but...
    Spoiler:

  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not sure if this is part of the fan patch or not, but you can get some extra dialogue out of Jack at the start of the game
    Spoiler:

    It's the first game I remember telling me off for cheating :|
    The only reason I'm not sure if it's fan patch or not, is because last time I played the game I must've done the cheats after the tutorial.
    Makes me wonder if there's any other stuff in this game I've missed

    (Oh and it's from giving yourself max stats, just doing giftxp doesn't trigger it)

  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    On the topic of wizard kings
    Spoiler:

  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There's extra dialogue for that if you're a Malk, too.
    Spoiler:

  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wish there was some way to get more info on the Sheriff. Or diablerize him.

    eokNV.jpg
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2009
    I'm not sure if this is part of the fan patch or not, but you can get some extra dialogue out of Jack at the start of the game
    Spoiler:

    It's the first game I remember telling me off for cheating :|
    The only reason I'm not sure if it's fan patch or not, is because last time I played the game I must've done the cheats after the tutorial.
    Makes me wonder if there's any other stuff in this game I've missed

    (Oh and it's from giving yourself max stats, just doing giftxp doesn't trigger it)

    Awesome isn't it? It's in the vanilla version I believe

    If you'd like an anime thread, please PM me to discuss it. Include pics/video of your favorites.
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User
    edited July 2009
    I wish there was some way to get more info on the Sheriff. Or diablerize him.
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think I might have to reinstall this and give it another go.

    I did my first playthough years ago as a Malkav, but I'll be damned if that isn't what I want to do again.

    Are there any other interesting builds that might be fun, or a off the wall malkav build?

    camo_sig.png
Sign In or Register to comment.