As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RECRUITING]Dungeon Fodder

SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Critical Failures
In a one-shot, perhaps leading into a followup session or two, I want to run a further test of my Adventurer's Tale system. If you don't know it the rules are very simple. For anything you want to do you roll 1d6 and add one of your Stats, hoping you roll high.

Oh yeah, and it's going to be a dungeon crawl into the colourfully named Underworld.

Ultima+Underworld+-+The+Stygian+Abyss_4.png

No, not that one. There might be goblins in there though. I don't remember.

It will be over IRC one evening next week (probably around 7 or 8pm GMT) and at the moment I'm just testing the water for interest in a somewhat light-hearted delve into a dungeon.

If you sign up in this thread your character will also start with a free magic item from a random table I have.

SUPERSUGA on

• Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    !sign me up!

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Congratulations, neff, you have received the Eternal Chessboard!

Eternal Chessboard: Anyone playing chess with this set cannot win or lose a match. It simply goes on and on no matter how many moves the players take.

You should come up with an amusing story for where and how your character got this.

Edit: Just to clarify, for anyone wanting to make a character we're only using the Core Rules with one exception. You can use the Extra Class Perks described in the optional rules if you wish, effectively giving each class ten perks to choose from.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Here we go:
    Naranbaatar, the Reclusive

10931-3762.gif

Human, Scholar
    Body 6
    Wisdom 5, Melee 3, Grace 2, Awareness 1
    Clever Fighter: Add 2 to Melee Combat rolls when your Wisdom score is higher than your opponent's.
    Spellbook: Learn 2 new Spells.
    Staff, Eternal Chessboard, Chalk, Fishing Rod, Flint and Steel, Monk Robes, 2 Treasure.

Spells:
    -Invisible Hand
    Manipulate an object in the nearby area just as if you were doing so physically. You may use this to make melee attacks with a weapon from some distance.
    -Tongues
    You may communicate freely with your target, regardless of language barriers. This includes all creatures, even of animal intelligence, and allows two-way communication with them.

Naranbaatar hails from the distant east, a land of mysticism where men worship the earth, the wind, and the spirits of animals as much as they worship gods. As a young man he was a monk in the temple of the four winds and spent most of his time training his body and mind, learning much of the martial arts and the ways of magic.

The temple became involved in a political battle involving the Emperor and a group of revolutionaries, and Naranbaatar was forced to leave. He became a hermit, living on a sea shore far from civilization where he continued to train his body and mind, and learned to communicate with the animals around him. He awoke early every morning and performed several hours of martial arts training, after which he would tend to his garden, then meditate through sunset.

One day, while meditating, a serpent came out of the sea and approached him bearing a chess board and challenged him to a game. For thirty-five years Naranbaatar and the Serpent would meet at the seashore just after sunset and continue their game of chess, but neither opponent seemed to make any headway. One day while Naranbaatar was deep in thought over his next move, the Serpent spoke to him: "Naranbaatar my friend, we have been playing this game of chess for thirty-five years now. I am very old, almost as old as the winds themselves. But this world is changing, I am one of the last of my kind, and I fear that my time in this realm is drawing to a close. In death, I wish to concede this game of chess to you."

"That is nonsense, old friend. But very well, in the event of my own demise, I also wish to concede the game to my most worthy of opponents." Said Naranbaatar.

Their game continued for many months after, until one day when Naranbaatar sat and awaited the arrival of the Serpent. He looked off to the ocean waiting for his friend, but the only thing that came out of the ocean was the sun signaling the beginning of the next day. With sadness in his heart Naranbaatar knew what had happened. He looked down at the chess board to collect the pieces and put them away. "Oh!" he exclaimed, making a single move. "Checkmate."

And so it came to be that Naranbaatar packed up the chessboard along with what few belongings he had. He said goodbye to his garden and, with his own sunset fast approaching, began to wander the earth looking for another worthy opponent.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    still nothing?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Your character is good, neff. Got two more takers from elsewhere but I'd still love to have another player or two from here.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    yeah, i'm not really feeling the love right now.

EDIT: I can't believe how unpopular this is. I feel like there should be at least one other taker. This sounds like a lot of fun.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ok, got three players from elsewhere plus neff. Still have room for one more if someone wants it.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    doooo it

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah sure, I'm in on this.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Congratulations, simonwolf, you have received the Fisherman's Blanket!

Fisherman's Blanket: This blanket will become dry with a quick shake, regardless of how wet it is, and is always faintly warm.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thats way cooler than mine.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Reminder: This will be tomorrow at this time (plus 10 minutes), which is 7pm British Summer Time.

The IRC network is irc.magicstar.net and the room will be #TAT.

You going to get your character made up before then, simonwolf?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Should be, mate! I've got the mechanics done, but I am currently in no state to finish the character design. It'll be first thing I'll do after class tomorrow.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh, simonwolf, don't forget to come up with an explanation (which can be as brief as you like) for where/when/how you got your Fisherman's Blanket. If you need any help with the character creation I'll be in the game room whenever I'm online.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Not too late for you to hop in, flippy. The free magic item offer still stands.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    Not too late for you to hop in, flippy. The free magic item offer still stands.
    I would, but I just noticed the time. Looks like that'll be around 1pm here I guess, which would impinge on the whole job thing.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sha-daisy:
    Leonard, the Lithe Artiste

dylanbobcp7013562.jpg

Human, Rogue
    Body 4
    Grace 6, Awareness 4, Melee 3, Craft 1
    Nimble: +2 to Combat Rolls when Leonard's Grace is higher than his opponent's.
    Jack of all Trades: Add 1 to any stat (Grace) and learn one Spell (Figment).
    Dagger, Rapier (identical to sword), Fisherman's Blanket, Chalk, Ration, Flask of red wine, Cloak, Grappling Hook

Spells:
    - Figment
    This Spell covers a variety of illusions such as producing a candleflame from a fingertip, creating colourful flickering lights in the air or making small animals or objects eappear elsewhere. These effects are not substantial in any way, so a flame produced would not, infact, be hot. The illusions create appropriate sounds to suit their appearance and dissolve into nothingness if touched by anyone but the caster. A Figment can be used to create a "mask" for the caster, disguising their face but nothing else.

Leonard (pronounced "lay-oh-nar-day", you uneducated philistine) was born to a small, struggling family with very little money to their name. As such, Leonard was raised with a street education, and took any job he could so as to bring home enough gold to keep the family alive, for another day. Nobody taught him how to live out on the streets; he just grew used to it, picking up whatever skills he could.

At the age of 16, he was told that the family needed him to leave the house in order to save money, though they still expected him send any excess cash he had to help support their lives. Taking advantage of the situation, Leonard headed out into the world and explored it.

During this time in the wild world, Leonard was exposed to a wide variety of lifestyles and ideas; from the world of the fisherman, he took a blanket that kept him warm on those often times he found himself sleeping in an alley. In a distant hilltop village, he gambled for his salvation and was granted a minor boon of power from a reclusive warlock. From the bohemian districts of the great cities of the land, he saw the great works of our age and realised his true goal in life was to become an artist, exploring and exposing the true nature of life to the masses.

Unfortunately, Leonard's works were... esoteric, to say the least. After three years of trying to gain grant money from the esteemed universities with works such as A Million Fragments of Uncertain Self-Indulgent Lies (which consisted of Leonard lying in a pile of papers with scrawled apologies on them, while crying), he came to the realisation that his work was far too ahead of its time - gaining the money for his grand projects would take self-funding.

With that in mind, he packed his belongings and headed out, seeking the great fortune that would bring his fame in the world of art, and thereby creating a legacy that would last centuries.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Reminder: One hour and ten minutes (ish) till the game start.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, that was a pretty super game. Things people missed out on:

- refusing an art commission from a disheveled dwarf king
    - killing a bunch of dogs
    - picking up and using the dog corpses as distractions/objects of childhood trauma
    - finding a goblin scholar, beating the shit out of it before anything was said
    - forcing said goblin to be a trap detector/sex slave
    - climbing onto a sleeping dragon for no good reason at all
    - throwing dog corpse at the dragon's face

Overall? A++, would play again.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I should clarify there was little to no goblin rape in this game.

Will post news on a second session in this thread!

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    I should clarify there was little to no goblin rape in this game.

What

Why did you say that

Now we'll never get more players

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    AHHHH. I'm sorry I missed out! I've been dealing with work/moving/getting registered as a transfer student at u.washington... and I was just totally spaced that it was today. I just got home from work and got your MSN messages suga, and I feel like a dick. Apologies again.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, I guess you are a bit of a dick, but we won't hold it against you ;-)

But seriously, no worries. These things happen and we had three players anyway and it all went fine. Think you'd be interested in hopping in next time?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    We have already (possibly) lost one guy who had an inexplicable urge to, ahem, "ride the dragon". We need all the help we can get, Neffy.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Tentative check... how would we feel about same time next week? That would be 7pm BST on Tuesday for the forgetful.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm still dealing with moving into a new apartment, but i'm going to tentatively say that sounds great.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Woah woah.

Who invited you?

Mr No-Show.

Why don't you just go and move into an apartment or something?
    Yeah it'd be great if you could play this time

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Unfortunately going to have to postpone this session tonight. We'll pick it up same time next week if that's ok with everyone.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sounds good. I'm in the process of moving and most likely would not have been able to do it anyway. I'll try to keep you informed of my availability although internet access is going to be sporadic at best.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bleh. Something's come up for Tuesday night. How would Thursday night, 7pm BST be for you guys?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    GUYS GUYS! I finally have internet again after my move!

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Neato. Last session ended with our minstral and newly recruited elf getting severely mauled by a dragon, ending up KO'd in its lair, with serious injuries, while the fighter wisely fled into the nearby room to explore some chimneys.

SUPERSUGA on