As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadow Complex: The last liberal is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace. (new OP)

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Anyone know a good place to buy (UK) points codes online that send them via email?

amazon.co.uk

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The game looks awesome and I really want to download it but looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit since I don't have the MS points and I'm trying not to spend too much money on entertainment (college expenses FTL).

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The game looks awesome and I really want to download it but looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit since I don't have the MS points and I'm trying not to spend too much money on entertainment (college expenses FTL).

Man, I'm starting a business and was laid off weeks ago and haven't gotten my first EI cheque and even I'M finding money for this game. Cheap groceries for a week FTW.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I'm going to buy a wireless internet connector for my 360 after work tomorrow so I can get back on Live to buy this. I really hope it's easy to get up and running.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I'm going to buy a wireless internet connector for my 360 after work tomorrow so I can get back on Live to buy this. I really hope it's easy to get up and running.

Those things just didn't work for me, and I sold mine. It's an incredible hassle going wired, but Call of Duty ran like ass when I used one of those.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Cantido wrote: »

Those things just didn't work for me, and I sold mine. It's an incredible hassle going wired, but Call of Duty ran like ass when I used one of those.

Nononono! Do not say this to me mere hours before Shadow Complex hits Live. NO! I will not have it!

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Nononono! Do not say this to me mere hours before Shadow Complex hits Live. NO! I will not have it!

You'll be fine using Live and downloading stuff. Totally fine.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Seriously...the wireless adapter blows for the 360. Just buy a 100 foot ethernet cable and spare yourself the trouble.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    Heh good omen for this game, went to buy some points off amazon, to get it tomorrow, and I found a $25 gift card I had gotten a couple months ago. So free shadow complex, plus buying the points got me another free $5 gift card thing I could use on mp3's. So I also got 8 new songs for my mp3 player.

Any benefit to buying points off of Amazon?

It's the only way I can think of to not-sketchily buy points digitally (i.e. without having to get a physical scratch-off card) while not giving Microsoft your credit card information, since the Live customer support will flat-out refuse to remove your CC info from your account, even if your 360 is stolen.
    If you have PayPal you can buy points from marketplace.xbox.com by linking your PayPal account to your Windows Live ID. This is nice because 1) you don't have to give MS any credit card info, and 2) in the chance that your 360 is stolen your PayPal is not actually connected to your console or gamertag.

How do you do this exactly? I can't seem to find the option anywhere, and that would be really handy.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm a retard or something. I found it.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

You'll be fine using Live and downloading stuff. Totally fine.

Okay. I'm calming down. Thanks. I really don't play online that much, and only bought a Gold sub for Street Fighter IV, which I'm pretty much done with.

I haven't had Live since the day the new NXE launched. I haven't even visited the avatar store and been tempted into wasting my points on useless avatar toys. I feel like I'm missing out. This wireless thing is my chance to be civilized again. I crave it. I need it. It has to work with minimal hassle tomorrow or I might go nuts.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It works fine for me. Halo 3 plays lag free.
    jclast wrote: »
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Heh good omen for this game, went to buy some points off amazon, to get it tomorrow, and I found a $25 gift card I had gotten a couple months ago. So free shadow complex, plus buying the points got me another free $5 gift card thing I could use on mp3's. So I also got 8 new songs for my mp3 player.

Any benefit to buying points off of Amazon?

It's the only way I can think of to not-sketchily buy points digitally (i.e. without having to get a physical scratch-off card) while not giving Microsoft your credit card information, since the Live customer support will flat-out refuse to remove your CC info from your account, even if your 360 is stolen.
    If you have PayPal you can buy points from marketplace.xbox.com by linking your PayPal account to your Windows Live ID. This is nice because 1) you don't have to give MS any credit card info, and 2) in the chance that your 360 is stolen your PayPal is not actually connected to your console or gamertag.

How do you do this exactly? I can't seem to find the option anywhere, and that would be really handy.

1) marketplace.xbox.com
    2) My Account -> Add Points
    3) Manage Payment Options
    4) Add a PayPal Account

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the answer jclast. It's funny, just today I was wishing you could do that. The more you know...

I've got ~1500 points in my account so we're ready to roll. Now we play the waiting game.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've got ~1500 points in my account so we're ready to roll. Now we play the waiting game.

The waiting game sucks, lets play Hungry Hungry Hippos!

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I hope to read a list of one-liners created by you guys once you play the game. I find myself blurting out quite a few whenever I take down an enemy.

The latest one came to mind during the recent boss fight I had.
    "Pull Over!"

Yeah, it's a Transformers 2 reference, but you'll probably think the same thing.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pendegast wrote: »
    Damnit, why did they have to base this on a Orson Scott Card story? It looks like my dream game... But Card is such an insane scumbag, there's no way I'm paying a dime toward his royalty checks.

Technically they didn't base it on an Orson Scott Card story. They had Orson Scott Card write books for an eventual videogame. At least so says wikipedia
    Empire is not an original Orson Scott Card project, but rather stems from the development of the Empire video game. The game is being developed by the brothers Donald and Geremy Mustard, founders of the newly formed Chair Entertainment Group development studio. Card was contacted by Donald Mustard and offered the chance to develop the game's storyline as well as a novel to set the series into action.[11]

The Xbox Live Arcade Game Shadow Complex was announced by Donald Mustard to be a tie-in to the second installment of Orson Scott Card's Empire Trilogy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_(2006_novel)

You know what's an even more awesome idea? Not working with a man who's an out and out bigot.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Damnit, why did they have to base this on a Orson Scott Card story? It looks like my dream game... But Card is such an insane scumbag, there's no way I'm paying a dime toward his royalty checks.

Technically they didn't base it on an Orson Scott Card story. They had Orson Scott Card write books for an eventual videogame. At least so says wikipedia
    Empire is not an original Orson Scott Card project, but rather stems from the development of the Empire video game. The game is being developed by the brothers Donald and Geremy Mustard, founders of the newly formed Chair Entertainment Group development studio. Card was contacted by Donald Mustard and offered the chance to develop the game's storyline as well as a novel to set the series into action.[11]

The Xbox Live Arcade Game Shadow Complex was announced by Donald Mustard to be a tie-in to the second installment of Orson Scott Card's Empire Trilogy.

You know what's an even more awesome idea? Not working with a man who's an out and out bigot.

Plenty of great artists and writers in history have been crazy and/or assholes. It doesn't make their work any less great.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Plenty of great artists and writers in history have been crazy and/or assholes. It doesn't make their work any less great.

Pretty well the truth.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I don't give three fucks about four fucks if he's a bigot as long as the game is fun.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Story stuff (not really a spoiler, but I'll be safe):
    If you're paying attention to the story you're playing this game for the wrong reasons.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait, Orson Scott Card is a crazy man? When did this happen?

Also, fuck you, the story is why this looks way more interesting to me than say, Super Metroid. Fun gameplay and a driving force behind it.

edit: That fuck you is in the most loving way possible.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Right, well, I've played the game,
    and the story is nothing to write home about.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Also, fuck you, the story is why this looks way more interesting to me than say, Super Metroid. Fun gameplay and a driving force behind it.

edit: That fuck you is in the most loving way possible.

I'll fuck you in the most loving way possible!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So is there any way yet to add just 1200 MSP to my account or buy this with real money (like from Amazon or something)?

Very interested in getting this, but very uninterested in getting anything else really.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Once it comes out, you should be able to buy it on Amazon. Doubt it'll be up and running the exact moment the game's released, though.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    So is there any way yet to add just 1200 MSP to my account or buy this with real money (like from Amazon or something)?

Very interested in getting this, but very uninterested in getting anything else really.

you can buy it from amazon, but they usually take a weekish to show up.

You can also buy a 400 point zune card(from what I've heard), and an 800 point ms card, or 3 of the zune cards.

Morkath on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I wrote a Haiku on twitter and got a Shadow Complex code. Suddenly one of my electives in university went from term relaxation period to actual useful skill.

Hilarious part - I got the tweet about it as I walked into the store to get my points card.

Also: Shadow Complex is fucking awesome.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So originally, I was supposed to have my review ready by next week, with Splosion Man serving as my review for this week.

But earlier tonight I decided "to hell with it", and just submitted my review for Shadow Complex just in time to hype you guys up before its release.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did, and still do.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

you can buy it from amazon, but they usually take a weekish to show up.

You can also buy a 400 point zune card(from what I've heard), and an 800 point ms card, or 3 of the zune cards.

That's ok, I'm in no hurry. DeathPrawn, Markath, thanks :)

This is the first XBLA exclusive I've been looking forward to since probably Castle Crashers.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man I've been trying to get codes from every Twitter account I could find: Geoff Keighley, Chair Entertainment, Team Xbox, 360junkie, etc.

No luck, so now I wait approx 4 hours until it should be released...

And great review Prof!

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Threepio wrote: »
    So I wrote a Haiku on twitter and got a Shadow Complex code. Suddenly one of my electives in university went from term relaxation period to actual useful skill.

Hilarious part - I got the tweet about it as I walked into the store to get my points card.

All of us hate you
    You are a fucking bastard
    Stop rubbing it in.
    :P

Edit: Prof, the review was good, but really, 99%? You couldn't just make it 100%? ;-)

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I've heard nothing but bad things about those.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »

All of us hate you
    You are a fucking bastard
    Stop rubbing it in.
    :P

Edit: Prof, the review was good, but really, 99%? You couldn't just make it 100%? ;-)

I take my perfect scores very, very seriously.

If it was using the 5 out of 5 scale, I'd give it 5/5. A 10 scale might be a 10 as well. But since this site uses percentages I have to think on really precise numbers.

SC isn't perfect but it's darn close.

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Threepio

Post your Haiku.

It must be pretty good if you got Shadow Complex as a reward.

I expect a masterpiece.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What's this about twitter and codes? Gimme.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The Shadow Complex / Scours the mind with its allure / is it wednesday yet?

and

Wan'dring Underground / I found the Shadow Complex / Upgrading gear now.

I have no idea which one won. @JakenBear was giving the codes out.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Years ago. Google on him and homosexuality sometime.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Odd, considering the attention the man pays to testicles in Ender's Game. I'm thinking there's some latent issues there.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Oh no! The man has an opinion!

Do us all a favor and never buy anything that has been worked on by a bigot again.

You'll have fun starving to death as you will also have absolutely nothing to entertain you.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm flattered by the thread title change. :D