As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 and Backwards Compatibility

CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
I'm planning on buying a PS3 at some point in the next few days, and have been eyeing up the 60gb model, since backwards compatibility is a pretty important factor for me, especially since my PS2 is starting to show its age a little.

Before I commit though, I was just wondering how good the PS3's backwards compatibility actually was? I know that it's software-based, rather than hardware, like the 360, and in my experience the 360's compatibility with Xbox games is spotty at best.

A sweep of the Internets (sites like this one, for example) make it sound like the vast majority of games play perfectly, which is encouraging, but I'd much rather hear what you guys have to say.

So, PAL 60GB PS3 - how well does it run PS2 games? Awesomely, or horrifically? Does it pretty them up with upscaling?

Cheers guys :)

sig.gif
Cowbomb on

• Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    All PS2 games I tried worked flawlessly on that model you're planning to buy. Okami, Killer 7, Disgaea 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Resident Evil 4. For Disgaea I actually did not use the upscaling, it blurred the textures too much for my taste.

There are leaks about a slim model that will be out by christmas this year, so you might want to hold out for that. There is also speculation there will be pure software emulation of PS2 games for all PS3 models (that article is wrong about that the current mixed emulation sucks). The older models might get cheaper once the slim gets out but since they don't make the initial 60 GB anymore you might want to jump in and be guaranteed of pretty good emulation.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Playstation 2 consoles are already nine years old - why won't the price dip down to fifty bucks for a new one?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Playstation 2 consoles are already nine years old - why won't the price dip down to fifty bucks for a new one?

You really don't understand business do you?

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »

They're obsolete but still being sold at double the price of the other two last gen consoles. It's like selling a Pentium III system for $500 - it makes no sense on the consumer's end.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

They're obsolete but still being sold at double the price of the other two last gen consoles. It's like selling a Pentium III system for $500 - it makes no sense on the consumer's end.

So long as the market will support that price, they'll continue charging it. If sales slow down too much at the current price, then they'll cut it.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The 60 GB PAL PS3 uses software emulation? Huh. I know the NTSC 60 GB had the emotion engine chip built in.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    First gen 80 gigs used software PS2 BC, as well.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wasn't the PS3 slim thing a huge joke?

Anyway, here in the US, BC is generally gone from all new PS3s right? And the old SKU with BC stopped being manufactured? I hear there's a chance they might bring BC back, but all this riffraff is too confusing.

Would it just be cheaper to buy a PS2 separately and just tape it to the top of a PS3?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wasn't the PS3 slim thing a huge joke?

First Sony said it wasn't real. Then they got the factory that leaked it to shut up (they wouldn't do it if it wasn't real, they'd just leave it at saying it wasn't real). Then another Taiwanese factory got a contract to make a slim model PS3. Now there's video footage of it, apparently. Either it's a really, really elaborate ploy at making a knockoff PS3 slim seem real, or it is a slim PS3.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    marryzhou wrote: »
    <snip>

spam for some shoe website. account created today. several posts all going to the same shoe website.

Cobell on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Instead of buying a second hand 60GB why not buy a HDD for your PS2 along with a Free McBoot memory card off ebay and get a brand new PS3. You will get a more reliable and quiet PS3 and prolong your PS2's life almost indefinitely.

Something to consider. :)

Moioink on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    The 60 GB PAL PS3 uses software emulation? Huh. I know the NTSC 60 GB had the emotion engine chip built in.

I had thought none of the PAL models supported backwards compatibility.

Kelor on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    langfor6 wrote: »

I had thought none of the PAL models supported backwards compatibility.

PAL only got software emulation in the 60gb.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Why don't WD/Seagate/Samsung sell 120gb drives for a buck? Those drives are all old technology, they can't possibly be worth more than a dollar! What the fuck is wrong with those idiots trying to sell old shit for more money! EvilBadman was right, you know fuckall about business. If you are holding out on buying a PS2 until it reaches $50 you're an idiot as well. $100 is a small price to pay for what it offers.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So do they even have BC in PS3s anymore, or what?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

So long as the market will support that price, they'll continue charging it. If sales slow down too much at the current price, then they'll cut it.

Plus, paying $50 for a PS2 will pretty much guarantee you'll get one that will crap out in a few months. That was the case with the third one I bought, anyway (though I paid $60, technically).
    So do they even have BC in PS3s anymore, or what?

No. Not on the new ones.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    travathian wrote: »

$100 is a small price to pay for what it offers.

The PS3 offered exactly the same thing for a much larger price until they realised that people were still buying PS2 games and cut the BC, then outright said that was the reason they were cutting it.

Kelor on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

ding ding ding we have a winner

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You...will prefer a PS2 on an SDTV if that's an option for you. Or the BC PS3 on an SDTV.

I'm not a fan of the PS2 emu on HD.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You...will prefer a PS2 on an SDTV if that's an option for you. Or the BC PS3 on an SDTV.

Huh, what is it that you don't you like about the HD emu? I'd been assuming that the PS3 upscales PS2 games in a similar way to how the 360 handles Xbox games (which I think look fantastic), is that right or does it handle the upscaling in a different/worse way?

Thanks for the help so far guys :)

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »

Huh, what is it that you don't you like about the HD emu? I'd been assuming that the PS3 upscales PS2 games in a similar way to how the 360 handles Xbox games (which I think look fantastic), is that right or does it handle the upscaling in a different/worse way?

I've been playing PS2 games through 80GB software compatibility for over a year and it looks gorgeous, but I have a small monitor/hdtv combo.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was just playing Shadow of the Colossus last night on my PS3, and I thought it was beautiful. I play on fullscreen setting with smoothing enabled.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have software emulation with the 80gig that came in the Metal Gear Solid pack. I haven't had any problems.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Not sure if this is true with hardware compatibility, but software BC will have some problems with cinematics.

Mostly just improper syncing with audio (the video slows down a bit). Nothing game-breaking, but a slight annoyance anyway.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    as far as I know none of the euro PS3s ever had hardware backwards compatability
    North American PS3s had hardware previously, but now only do software or none at all.

NTSC systems with hardware backwards compatability are:

60gb (no longer manufactured)
    80gb (the older one, no longer manufactured)

I think possibly the first set of MGS4 bundle PS3s had it but I'm not certain.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There are a few games reported to have problems with the PAL 60 gb PS2, some even crash at some point and are impossible to finish. I don't remember any examples, but the problems range from slower games, to bad upscaling and like I said, simply not working.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    There are a few games reported to have problems with the PAL 60 gb PS2, some even crash at some point and are impossible to finish. I don't remember any examples, but the problems range from slower games, to bad upscaling and like I said, simply not working.

Very few, and I believe it was only with the software emulation model which was fixed at a later patch. One was one of the final fantasies, nd from what I remember it was just the weird video/audio synch. Other than that I believe there were like maybe 2 or 3 other titles with problems? Such as Tekken 5 was also one with video/audio synch crud on the intro movie.

Edit: ChaBam, here you go with any and all of your official compatibility questions. http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Roxtar on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, the audio/video sync in cinematics of all sorts is still a problem in software BC. Thankfully, it only gets really bad in longer cinematics (say, more than a minute), and doesn't really effect gameplay.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The only PS3 games I would really want to play occasionally are the ICO and SOTC games and Dragon Quest VIII which I still haven't beaten because I can't stand grinding on my HDTV with the horrible messed up graphics. Oh and my Katamari games.

I will not buy a PS3 until it has BC back in. New. I also will not buy a used PlayStation so it'll have to be new and at most $200.

I don't understand why they have such trouble keeping it in the console. They've always been about being able to play the vast entirety of their game library all the way back to the PSX way back 15 years ago. That's bajillions of games. But to cut out a large portion? Why?

The way I hear it, there's two methods. Software and Hardware. I can understand if they want to keep hardware emulation out for cost reasons, but software is nothing. Is it HD space? Because the HD's just get bigger and bigger. I can't see why they'd remove the software emulation at all.

I'm rooting for a slimmer PSThree with hardware emulation at $200 in 2011 at most.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    Cowbomb wrote: »

I've been playing PS2 games through 80GB software compatibility for over a year and it looks gorgeous, but I have a small monitor/hdtv combo.

I dunno to me the image looks very muddy, like there's vaseline on it or something. I tried to play around with it mostly on my 24" 1920x1200 monitor, various combinations of settings, but I just couldn't get it to look as good as on a plain old standard def TV. I was using God of War 1/2 and persona 3(in game) as tests.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The way I hear it, there's two methods. Software and Hardware. I can understand if they want to keep hardware emulation out for cost reasons, but software is nothing. Is it HD space? Because the HD's just get bigger and bigger. I can't see why they'd remove the software emulation at all.
    They didn't, full software emulation of the PS2 never existed, graphic hardware from the PS2 were included in all BC PS3 models. So what they're doing now is probably just that, keeping hardware out for cost reasons

Zell on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The took it out because they want the PS2 to keep selling like gangbusters. And oh, how it is. The PS2 is making them way more money than the PS3 right now. When that happens, you don't make PS3s that can play PS2 games.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Jasoco wrote: »
    The only PS3 games I would really want to play occasionally are the ICO and SOTC games and Dragon Quest VIII which I still haven't beaten because I can't stand grinding on my HDTV with the horrible messed up graphics. Oh and my Katamari games.

I will not buy a PS3 until it has BC back in. New. I also will not buy a used PlayStation so it'll have to be new and at most $200.

I don't understand why they have such trouble keeping it in the console. They've always been about being able to play the vast entirety of their game library all the way back to the PSX way back 15 years ago. That's bajillions of games. But to cut out a large portion? Why?

I'm rooting for a slimmer PSThree with hardware emulation at $200 in 2011 at most.

I'd say more like 2012, if you want a slim PS3 for $200. Maybe later.

And I seriously doubt you're going to get hardware BC. Seriously, I'm talking nonexistent.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's what got my friend to pick up the MGS bundle. Assured hardware BC.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's what got my friend to pick up the MGS bundle. Assured hardware BC.

MGS bundle has hardware + software BC. Only the US/JP 60GB and 20GB have full hardware BC. Full hardware emulation is never coming back. They did patent a new emulation method for the software part that would be more reliable than the current offering though, so it may improve to the point where they're close to equal. That's pure speculation though.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID