As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PSP + ICS

godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
So I got one of them newfangled PSP 3000s today, and the problems started right away. Since the PSP itself didn't come with any games, and there were no games available at the PX (I'm in Iraq, so pickin's are slim), I wanted to see if at least the web browser was nifty. I have a hardwire internet connection in my room, so it seemed like it would be pretty simple to connect to the internet, make a simple wireless network, and turn on internet connection sharing so I could connect my PSP to the internet via the wireless broadcast from my computer. Wasn't as easy as I thought, it turns out, as the PSP wouldn't recognize the network I made, and even when I manually entered the SSID for the PSP to look at, I got no results. When I turned to google for help, I found nothing useful.
So, I really just want to know if this is possible. Can a PSP connect to the internet through a computer, or does it have to be done with a wireless access point?

tl;dr: Trying to connect PSP to the internet via laptop's wireless internet connection sharing.

godmode on

• DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can't help you with the internet connection sharing, but there is a possible solution in the meantime. I assume you have a Memory Stick, as you need one to save games or download things. You can get Sony software on the computer, and download games through that, and connect a USB cord to the PSP and transfer whatever you need, whether it's updates, full games, or patches/dlc.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just getting a wireless router is out of the question?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    Just getting a wireless router is out of the question?

Completely. They're not allowed on the network, it'd be a hassle to get one out here, and it just seems to me like there should be a way to do without one.
    I'll have my router again when I get home at the end of the year, though, so maybe I'll be fine just downloading stuff on the PSP in the meantime.

godmode on
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You need a wireless adapter that supports AP mode, most likely. This would also violate the rule of not allowing wireless routers, technically.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Truthfully, even if you're able to get online with it, you'll have multiple problems buying games from the online store.

1. Your country location won't match your credit card location. Basically all online systems I've dealt with do this check to see if the card is possibly being used by someone that stole it online. Only way around it is to hope they have a web store that you can use from a proxy in the US. I do this with Steam and it works with no problems (I'm in China).

2. Just like the 360stores, they are seperated by regions, aka your USA 360 can't buy anything off the Japan marketplace unless you create a japanese account and get japanese credits.

Because your in Iraq, which I'm assuming is an unsupported region, you'll simply get a message saying "sorry, there are no products in your region" and you're SOL unless the sony online store has a website you can buy through and you do the proxy trick again. If that works, they MIGHT let you download the game and put it on a memory stick or send it straight to the psp's memory stick, I think I remember them having some software for that.

Welcome to gaming in 3rd world countries, and companies wonder why piracy is so large in them...

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
    edited July 2009
    Ah, I see. Well, then, I suppose it'll be nice when I get back to the States, yeah? Thanks for the info, folks.

godmode on
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, if you're not allowed a wireless network you're not allowed one. :(

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2009
    Well, it's not that I can't make a network, I just can't make anything but Ad-hoc, and my PSP doesn't seem to recognize it.

godmode on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Check out the Hajj mart for games, depending on what FOB you're on you might get lucky. They usually have european (or something other than US at least) games but they should still work on your PSP. I think you can request that the PX order certain products as well. I know one of the guys in my platoon did that.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, motherfucking companies make it hard for us non-NA-or-EU people to buy stuff, then get all pissy.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • mrbernzmrbernz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    From my experience most wireless adapters don't work as an AP out of the box, you either need one that specifies it does so or use modified drivers, otherwise you can only make AD-HOC which a PSP wont use for internet. I think with your limited resources your only option would be like a previous said and download stuff to your computer and then transfer it.

mrbernz on
    edited July 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    Yeah, if you're not allowed a wireless network you're not allowed one. :(

My point was, if you're not allowed a wireless network router, turning your computer into one is probably not kosher either.

And the PSP needs a proper wireless network.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You might want to try a USB router godmode. You can get one off of Amazon, and I know they ship to Iraq. Much of my paycheck in Iraq was spent on Amazon.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    You might want to try a USB router godmode. You can get one off of Amazon, and I know they ship to Iraq. Much of my paycheck in Iraq was spent on Amazon.

I've decided after all the hassle that I'm going to return the PSP. Reasons: A) It doesn't even come with a game, and the PX is all out of them. B) You can't play it without purchasing a separate memory card, which the PX is ALSO out of. C) I'm just going to upgrade the DS to the DSi instead. Who knows - maybe the DSi will work off an ad-hoc network like the PSP couldn't?

godmode on
    edited July 2009
    But the PSP is so cool

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    At least with a DSi you can (in theory) buy Nintendo's USB dongle, which WILL work.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited July 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    At least with a DSi you can (in theory) buy Nintendo's USB dongle, which WILL work.

Good enough for me. I'll be looking into that when I get home.

godmode on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    godmode wrote: »
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

Good enough for me. I'll be looking into that when I get home.

Before doing that, I'd double-check how the region-locking works on the DSi. If you're not going to be able to buy stuff of the DSi store, you're just as well off with a DS Lite (or phatty DS, but a Lite really is infinitely more pleasant to use than a phatty).

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The DS and DSi do work on ad-hoc networks, through you might have to manually enter the IP config info.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
    edited July 2009
    The Nintendo USB Dongle is strictly Win XP 32 bits only. Hope that's not a problem.

I don't know if the released a new one, but the one I have is like that. I'm actually selling it. But I'm in Brazil, so I don't think it would be worth it, ahehehe.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2009
    The Nintendo USB Dongle is strictly Win XP 32 bits only. Hope that's not a problem.

I don't know if the released a new one, but the one I have is like that. I'm actually selling it. But I'm in Brazil, so I don't think it would be worth it, ahehehe.

Well, if the PSP works off an ad-hoc network, there's no need for the dongle, correct? Plus I have Vista 64.

godmode on
    edited July 2009
    USB dongle = DS not PSP.

and you need an AP, at least.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As another person in Iraq I'll shed some light here. We're using Tigrisnet where I'm at and I know that things like the DS/iPod Touch/etc will -not- work online using ad hoc mode via ICS. This is through enough testing. However if you get a usb wifi device, it should work. I'm heading home very soon and I had my 360 here, the -only- way I could use other devices is if I was using the 360's wireless adapter as the AP (as ad hoc, then connecting my laptop to it as well with ICS turned on)

I'll also be honest, it probably wont be worth it. The connection here is too slow/unsteady to do anything in a decent amount of time. And the chances of something maintaining a connection long enough to download a game? Even less. Not sure where you're at but I can't imagine it being too different elsewhere.

Kyanilis on