Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Gaming encounters of the left field kind

124

Posts

  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That video shows up in approximately 33% of all threads on the PA Forums.

    Steam: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | NNID: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    mwoody wrote: »
    System Shock 2. Finally, uh, meeting Polito. I hadn't played the first one, either - I had no idea what the fuck was going on.

    Middle of a sunny day, other people in the room, lights on, and STILL chilled me to the core. I caught myself physically backing away from the computer, arms up in a defensive stance.

    I reached that point late at night. I was kinda young at the time, too.

    D:

    UA1OmVB.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MechMantis wrote: »
    mwoody wrote: »
    System Shock 2. Finally, uh, meeting Polito. I hadn't played the first one, either - I had no idea what the fuck was going on.

    Middle of a sunny day, other people in the room, lights on, and STILL chilled me to the core. I caught myself physically backing away from the computer, arms up in a defensive stance.

    I reached that point late at night. I was kinda young at the time, too.

    D:

  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm shocked....shocked...that this thread went 6 pages without mentioning the ending of Chrono Trigger
    Spoiler:

    None of those really surprised me, though. I'm usually pretty good at predicting twists and such.
    Spoiler:

    SPOILERS, dude. SPOILERS.
    Spoilers for a game that is older than Miley Cyrus?

    What's the difference between Chrono Trigger and Miley Cyrus?

    Chrono Trigger is legal

  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User
    edited July 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    One that pops into my head is Mirror's Edge.

    Hey, it's a game about running and parkour and finding the best routes to the finish line and evading the bad guys! Awesome!

    Then at some point the game magically transforms into a third-rate FPS where huge mobs of armed soldiers are fully equipped to kick your weaponless ass. That really turned me off to finishing the game.

    Slide kick their balls man, best weapon in the game.<img class=" title=":lol:" class="bbcode_smiley" />

    Test of Faith may have been a pun on her name but it was definitely a test of fucking patience.
    It's a nice challenge. I got that the first time I played.

    Now I can shoot all the motherfuckers on hard.

    Organichu wrote: »
    The main rub is that, fuck, I'm already paying some to upgrade the length... why not pay a little bit more to upgrade the length AND width?
  • jotjot Registered User
    edited July 2009
    Post Blue wrote: »
    deowolf wrote: »
    Post Blue wrote: »
    I remember talking all colors of shit to some Dremora Lord in a bar in Morrowind, trying to provike an attack so that I could retaliate and steal the armor from his body. He was a polite, soft-spoken guy who seemed impervious to insult, quietly dismissing my cuts at him, until... out of nowhere and with no perceptible transition he said, "after I murder you, I am going to rape your corpse. But don't worry, I'll be gentle".

    I imagine someone at Bethesda was pretty confident that no play-tester/screener would drill down that deeply. 0_0

    I - I don't ever recall seeing this. Was this in a mod, or - what bar? I need to go experience this.
    Okay, I played Morrowind for a month straight immediately after its release in 2002, and I haven’t touched it since. As such I played the original game, as released, and, to the best of my knowledge, un-patched. Certainly unmodded. That was more than seven years ago, and the only detail from that surprising encounter that I can truly swear by is the dialogue. Honestly, I don’t even remember if a Dremora Lord is really what you call those types of guys -- it’s just the first thing that came to mind. He had two dainty little horns on his forehead; I seem to remember him being clad in black and red. As I recall, in the building where I found him, after walking down one flight of stairs I saw him leaning against a wall to my right. The room was populated with several other lively NPCs, but he struck me as someone worth talking to.

    I'm late as fuck on this, but IIRC, that's part of a quest for the Dunmer temple guild thing. You've got to taunt this Daedra standing around in a temple in, I don't know, it's a pretty small city with the same kind of architecture like Ald'ruhn.

  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Those that have played/read the LP for Darkseed 2 will get this.

    Here Michael this will explain everything!*

    Spoiler:

  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What about Kings Quest 1? You know... The Puzzle!
    Spoiler:
    That puzzle was early in the Adventure game craze too.


    The earth is the mother of all people, and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    What about Kings Quest 1? You know... The Puzzle!
    Spoiler:
    That puzzle was early in the Adventure game craze too.

    There's plenty in the Kings Quest series, the one I most remember is from 5 though, going out into the woods and
    Spoiler:

  • 3clipse3clipse Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    924888_20041115_790screen002.jpg

    That game is so weird.

    C2hmw6F.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    3clipse wrote: »
    Opium wrote: »
    924888_20041115_790screen002.jpg

    That game is so weird.

    What was it?

  • edited July 2009
    Tamin wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Opium wrote: »
    924888_20041115_790screen002.jpg

    That game is so weird.

    What was it?

    Sprung.

  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SprungGameSS.jpg

    Oh god, the responses and facial expressions are hilarious.

    Steam: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | NNID: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User
    edited July 2009
    Somehow I managed to start playing Kingdom Hearts II without first hearing about it on the Internet.

    Yeah.

    "Who the hell is this guy, oh gawd MINIGAMES, why is it so BOOOOORING?"

    Similarly, I played through MGS2 for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and somehow managed to not hear about the Raiden thing for the past 7 years.

    I wasn't very happy.

    sig.gif
  • edited July 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    Somehow I managed to start playing Kingdom Hearts II without first hearing about it on the Internet.

    Yeah.

    "Who the hell is this guy, oh gawd MINIGAMES, why is it so BOOOOORING?"

    Similarly, I played through MGS2 for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and somehow managed to not hear about the Raiden thing for the past 7 years.
    That is actually pretty impressive in and of itself.

    Kinda like that guy who only started playing OoT last week (and had never played Melee or Brawl etc.) and was afraid to be spoiled about Ganon's "secret identity".

  • CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    Somehow I managed to start playing Kingdom Hearts II without first hearing about it on the Internet.

    Yeah.

    "Who the hell is this guy, oh gawd MINIGAMES, why is it so BOOOOORING?"

    Similarly, I played through MGS2 for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and somehow managed to not hear about the Raiden thing for the past 7 years.
    That is actually pretty impressive in and of itself.

    Kinda like that guy who only started playing OoT last week (and had never played Melee or Brawl etc.) and was afraid to be spoiled about Ganon's "secret identity".

    Don't you mean Sheik? I don't think Ganon hides shit in OoT.

  • edited July 2009
    CJTheran wrote: »
    Opium wrote: »
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    Somehow I managed to start playing Kingdom Hearts II without first hearing about it on the Internet.

    Yeah.

    "Who the hell is this guy, oh gawd MINIGAMES, why is it so BOOOOORING?"

    Similarly, I played through MGS2 for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and somehow managed to not hear about the Raiden thing for the past 7 years.
    That is actually pretty impressive in and of itself.

    Kinda like that guy who only started playing OoT last week (and had never played Melee or Brawl etc.) and was afraid to be spoiled about Ganon's "secret identity".

    Don't you mean Sheik? I don't think Ganon hides shit in OoT.
    Spoiler:

    Yeah, I thought it was ridiculous too.

  • Erich ZahnErich Zahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    RE: Dunmer necrophelia: good god.

    Even worse than that is the Lusty Argonian Maid.

    Todd Howard isn't funny, and should go die.

    8voe9soh71ax.jpg
  • mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The time travel / gas-filled mine puzzle in Sorcerer. I remain convinced that no one, ever, anywhere has solved it without a FAQ or its prehistoric equivalent.

    So perhaps the actual "WTF" moment for this one was finally giving up and reading the set of instructions required to finish it.

    Steam: mwoody450
  • kurokazekurokaze Registered User
    edited July 2009
    mwoody wrote: »
    The time travel / gas-filled mine puzzle in Sorcerer. I remain convinced that no one, ever, anywhere has solved it without a FAQ or its prehistoric equivalent.

    Ah... I knew I should have been able to think of a few contributions for this thread, but I'd completely forgotten text adventures existed. My memory is too fuzzy on the more obscure entries like Sorcerer, but I can recall a few classics:

    > kill dragon
    With what? Your bare hands?
    > yes
    You kill the dragon with your bare hands.


    > take no tea

    atehim.jpg
  • kingmeh123kingmeh123 Registered User
    edited July 2009
    It's become so commonplace in the later entries of the series, but I remember playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 as a kid, unlocking Spider-Man as a secret character, and being completely blown away.

  • deowolfdeowolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    deowolf wrote: »
    RE: Dunmer necrophelia: good god.

    Even worse than that is the Lusty Argonian Maid.

    Todd Howard isn't funny, and should go die.

    Maybe not to you non-scalies...

    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just finished Traquility Lane in Fallout 3 yesterday.

    That was fucking out of NOWHERE.

    XBL: MXrox - PSN: mxmarks - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd call some of the endings in Chrono Trigger fucked up and unexpected. Right now I'm specifically thinking of the one you get for beating Lavos right after returning from the middle ages for the first time.
    Spoiler:

    3DS code: 3480-2527-9521
    steam_sig.png
  • SeruleSerule Registered User
    edited July 2009
    Pretty much everything in Disgaea is out of left field.

    You play as a demon fighting other demons in the netherworld until some point in the middle of the game where a spaceship crashes into the netherworld and a Buck-Rogers type character shows up with his robot.

  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Serule wrote: »
    Pretty much everything in Disgaea is out of left field.

    You play as a demon fighting other demons in the netherworld until some point in the middle of the game where a spaceship crashes into the netherworld and a buck-rogers type character shows up with his robot.

    Don't forget about the horse weiner, and Etnas ramblings/violent temper, and Laharls weakness to large breast.

  • NamrokNamrok Herndon, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    At this point I'm not sure if it's my memory playing tricks on me or my adolescent mind of the time making excuses for sucking.

    But I swear to god, playing Metal Gear Solid 2, while trying to cross over a narrow pipe, a bird shat on the pipe, I slipped on it and died.

    Was not happy.

  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Namrok wrote: »
    At this point I'm not sure if it's my memory playing tricks on me or my adolescent mind of the time making excuses for sucking.

    But I swear to god, playing Metal Gear Solid 2, while trying to cross over a narrow pipe, a bird shat on the pipe, I slipped on it and died.

    Was not happy.

    Ahahah yeah.

    I know which part you're talking about.

    I nearly pissed myself laughing at that part.

    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow YRP...in position It's showtime, girls.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nope, that happens.

    Also, a guard pees on you. Then you can call the Colonel and he's all like "I guess that's why we call it wetworks!"

    kTNzrVi.png?2
    Disasterrific! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A lot of things in this thread from MGS2. One that I thought was really weird is if you call Pliskin to ask him about Vamp, you get a conversation something like this:
    "He was trapped in a church for three days while he waited to be rescued, and survived by drinking the blood of his family."
    "Oh, so that's why they call him Vamp."
    "No, that's because he's bisexual."

    What? Also, why are you telling me this?

    steam_sig.png
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Because it gives the smouldering look in his eyes as you rumble with him a whole new meaning

  • Post BluePost Blue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Silent Hill 4 weirdness that could be considered spoilerish:
    Spoiler:

    Moments before the wind.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Once, when I was small and playing Doom II, I entered some standard cheat codes. God Mode, NoClip, etc.

    For some reason, some confluence of events I cannot fathom, the three Imps currently attacking me got those powers too.

    It was fucked up. I'd run from them, their fireballs still hurting me while no other monster could touch me. I'd hide in walls, and they'd find me. I would run out of the level, and they would just pop out of three different places and sloooowly walk towards me.

    It was creepy.

  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Skexis wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_8WTdn0doA

    7:52 onward

    Up until that point, you find yourself running across the top of a helicopter.
    That's right. On the blades.

    Hahahahah.
    That was awsome!!

    [EDIT] Oh crap, I replied 3 pages too late, I guess I'll have to mention something left field then. How about MGS3 when the
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Post Blue wrote: »
    :GWAAAAAH WHAT THE FUCK:
    And thanks for spoilin' it, jerk.

    Gamertag, Crackdown metatag, and other interesting stuff below!
    Join the Wang Defense Force and help stop the insect menace!
    Help a poor bastard out! Read (or at least visit) my Bright Hub articles!
    Spoiler:
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Post Blue wrote: »
    **SNIPPED creepy image of a giant head staring***

    o_O
    What in the Hell?

    Okay, I know it's a Silent Hill image...but...What the hell?? o_O


    Damn it, that image is going to be in my head for the rest of the day. And probably tonight! Thanks. Thanks a lot.

    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Space Quest 4 had a part where you went back in time to Space Quest 1 and all the graphics reverted back to CGA except for your character. Some NPCs got pissed about you having so many colors and hilarity ensued.

    camo_sig2.png
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Movitz wrote: »
    Skexis wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_8WTdn0doA

    7:52 onward

    Up until that point, you find yourself running across the top of a helicopter.
    That's right. On the blades.

    Hahahahah.
    That was awsome!!

    [EDIT] Oh crap, I replied 3 pages too late, I guess I'll have to mention something left field then. How about MGS3 when the
    Spoiler:

    They were lovers.
    Really.

    In fact, pretty much everyone in MGS is Bisexual.

    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Post BluePost Blue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Marikir wrote: »
    Post Blue wrote: »
    **SNIPPED creepy image of a giant head staring***

    o_O
    What in the Hell?

    Okay, I know it's a Silent Hill image...but...What the hell?? o_O


    Damn it, that image is going to be in my head for the rest of the day. And probably tonight! Thanks. Thanks a lot.
    Visiting left field in Silent Hill is like firing a gun while riding a bullet.

    Moments before the wind.
Sign In or Register to comment.