As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] It's not personal -- it's just a little business (OOC)

real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Critical Failures
In the city of Grepool, a new gang of thieves have moved in, and their competition, the halflings who run the established Thieves' Guild, has a vested interest in moving them out. But that doesn't appear too easy, as the newcomers are quickly taking over and their influence expands with every day. Furthermore, these gnome thieves don't seem to have as many... scruples as the halflings do, and the result is making everyone feel a little more cautious walking around late at night.

To make matters worse, lately strange creatures not like any seen in this world have been attacking the city's denizens seemingly at random... although no one can understand why even the freshest victims seem to turn up without a penny on them. And every time you walk down a city street, there always seems to be more homeless people talking to thin air or attacking a spot on the floor wildly.

This is my first D&D campaign. I will only be running it this summer. I want to start playing sometime next week, and I want to wrap things up by August 22-23rd. That gives us about a month. Fortunately (or not, heh), I am unemployed and I will have a lot of time to work on things. It'll be a PbP game, using myth-weavers for character sheets and invisiblecastle for rolls.

It will take place entirely in the city of Grepool, so skills like Streetwise will be very useful and primal characters will be a bit out of their element (although I could imagine a brief excursion outside the city if the PCs decided to take things in that direction).

I'm looking for 5 1st level characters. I only have access to the PHB and the PHB II, so please don't use things from outside of those. I will make small exceptions for specific feats etc. if they fit your character concept very strongly. The more you can post, the better -- because I sure as hell won't have anything better to do 95 percent of the time.

Anyway, I hope that just about covers it. If you have any questions feel free to ask, because I am definitely still trying to feel out things, and I hope you have patience with my noobishness.

real_pochacco on

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd totally be up for making a gnome or halfling rogue, as I have nothing better to do with my time.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Are you looking specifically for Gnomes or Halflings? Rogues?

EDIT: Eh, just count me in. Recently unemployed with a lot of time on my hands.

Esh on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dragonborn Fighter, reporting in.

If you require a different race I can switch.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If nothing happens on the game me and Esh are on I'll make a character. So just reserve me for now. I'll see what I can come up with. Any limits on races or classes?

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    What kind of game schedule are you looking at running? I'm currently in a RL Monday night game and soon possibly a Sunday PbP game.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ive got 1 for sure game Sunday from 11am to 2pm EST. And possibly the same one as Esh from 3pm to 6pm EST. So I say a Saturday game would work well for me as I have nothing on that day. Weekdays Im good from 6pm EST to 12am.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    He did mention PBP, which doesn't usually have a specific time.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll hop in as a Tiefling bard.

And let me know if you need me to change anything regarding race/class, I'll be more than happy to.

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    He did mention PBP, which doesn't usually have a specific time.

I always thought there was a general time for those. So everyone isn't waiting about...

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    No, just a please post once every 6/12/24 hours rule.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, definitely count me in. Either a Paladin or an Avenger...not sure which. Depends what we need.

EDIT: Or a Cleric if we need some healing badly. I'll fill whatever needs filled.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    No, just a please post once every 6/12/24 hours rule.

Sweet! I can do that. Now what to play...

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tentatively signing up as a human rogue - I'd be on board if there was room, but it looks there's a lot of people who want in before me.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    In order we have:
    Arivia - gnome/halfling rogue (strike)
    Esh - Paladin/Avenger/whatever
    3clipse - Dragonborn fighter (defender)
    Cleonicus - Tiefling bard (leader)
    Samurai6966 - ???

Reserve:
    Interrobang - human rogue (striker)

So we have a striker/defender/leader core. I'm sure whatever Esh and Samurai pick will fit in just fine.

Cleonicus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think I'll play an Avenging Paladin. Human.

Esh on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ugh. I can't believe I missed this game by a matter of minutes :( If you need a human warlock, let me know.

godmode on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Change my tentative to definitive, I'd definitely like to be a part of this if there's room for a sixth.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys,

I'd like it if people posted descriptions of their characters, basic background info, that sort of thing. If you have any questions about the setting and such, feel free to ask.

Also, I don't want to set the game down at a specific time because I'd like to be playing as much as possible, rather than having a thread that is busy once a week or whatever. Maybe we could agree upon a time where I want everyone to definitely be in front of a computer, if it seemed like things were too spotty and that sort of thing. The biggest thing is that I want a really active thread, because we only have a month or so to play.

In response to Arivia's question, no one needs to feel pressured to play a halfling or gnome. If you do, it will definitely change how your character is reacted to in the campaign, but it won't generally give you a specific advantage or disadvantage.

By the way, I wanted to make it clear that this campaign will have a gritty feel to it, just as a warning. So, for example, if fantasy characters cussing like they're in a Quentin Tarantino movie turns you off, you might not like this too much.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys,

I'd like it if people posted descriptions of their characters, basic background info, that sort of thing. If you have any questions about the setting and such, feel free to ask.

Also, I don't want to set the game down at a specific time because I'd like to be playing as much as possible, rather than having a thread that is busy once a week or whatever. Maybe we could agree upon a time where I want everyone to definitely be in front of a computer, if it seemed like things were too spotty and that sort of thing. The biggest thing is that I want a really active thread, because we only have a month or so to play.

In response to Arivia's question, no one needs to feel pressured to play a halfling or gnome. If you do, it will definitely change how your character is reacted to in the campaign, but it won't generally give you a specific advantage or disadvantage.

My character's mostly ready to go, just waiting to hear back from you on the PMs I sent about my feats/gear.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys,

I'll post up by the end of the day. I need to do some reading up on Paladins.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, 3clipse those things are all fine. I was worried a bit from your first PM, but your character concept sounds pretty cool so we'll go with it.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, 3clipse those things are all fine. I was worried a bit from your first PM, but your character concept sounds pretty cool so we'll go with it.

Awesome, thanks!

Character sheet incoming once I finish typing up backstory.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bharash, the Dragonborn Fighter.

Backstory is in the part at the bottom of the sheet.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'll start working on it, now that I'm awake.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So is Bharash the Ironhammer a household name? How famous are we talking here? Do you think an average guy on the street would recognize him?

(It's ok if he is, I'm just curious.)

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So is Bharash the Ironhammer a household name? How famous are we talking here? Do you think an average guy on the street would recognize him?

It's something like pro-sports players. If you follow it, yeah, you would totally know him! If it doesn't interest you in the slightest, you might know off-hand that there is this famous guy named Bharash the Ironhammer, but you wouldn't recognize him or know anything about him.

I imagine it to be something like football is in this country, if only because he's been doing it for 7 years and hasn't yet lost a match.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    3clipse wrote: »

It's something like pro-sports players. If you follow it, yeah, you would totally know him! If it doesn't interest you in the slightest, you might know off-hand that there is this famous guy named Bharash the Ironhammer, but you wouldn't recognize him or know anything about him.

I imagine it to be something like football is in this country, if only because he's been doing it for 7 years and hasn't yet lost a match.

So why isn't he filthy rich?

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

He spends his money on repairing his gear, and just because he's well known doesn't mean he's well-paid; arena work is pretty thankless outside of being famous to people who like watching other people murder each other.

Plus, going by the background of your city, most of the fighters who make money are tied into a crime syndicate; he isn't part of this, so he doesn't get paid much.

Also, how big the arena-scene is is up to you; people who do UFC are technically professional athletes, but they're only known to people who like UFC, and they don't make that much money, they just like fighting. Maybe it's more like that, now that I think about it.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cleonicus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yay! I was hoping someone would make a Bard. So what's her deal?

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

He spends his money on repairing his gear, and just because he's well known doesn't mean he's well-paid; arena work is pretty thankless outside of being famous to people who like watching other people murder each other.

Plus, going by the background of your city, most of the fighters who make money are tied into a crime syndicate; he isn't part of this, so he doesn't get paid much.

Also, how big the arena-scene is is up to you; people who do UFC are technically professional athletes, but they're only known to people who like UFC, and they don't make that much money, they just like fighting. Maybe it's more like that, now that I think about it.

That sounds good. Lately there has been a definite upsurge in the number of gnomes attending and betting on gladiatorial fights, and they always seem to win big. The Thieves' Guild doesn't rig fights, but you have been approached several times by certain representatives who have offered you gold if you're willing to throw a fight.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    She's seeking adventure and fame. More is on her character sheet.

Cleonicus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cleonicus wrote: »
    She's seeking adventure and fame. More is on her character sheet.

I see no background or anything t_t

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Doh, I didn't save it. It should be updated now.

Cleonicus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    There's nothing "automated" about the Mythweaver's sheets is there? Or do I have to type all the Powers and what not in myself?

EDIT: Also, I'm making an Avenger. I just love them SO MUCH.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Esh wrote: »
    There's nothing "automated" about the Mythweaver's sheets is there? Or do I have to type all the Powers and what not in myself?

Umm, they're semi-automated? They fill in stuff like half level, ability scores in the appropriate places, surge value based on HP, but you have to write out powers and stuff yourself. You'll see, they're straightforward.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Most stat calculations are automated, but you have to do the powers yourself.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cleonicus wrote: »
    Doh, I didn't save it. It should be updated now.

Looks good! The name of the inn that you do most of your performances at is The Lazy Y. The sign has the letter Y half falling off. At night the place is often more upbeat than passerbys would assume, thanks to your performances.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The downside about running two pbp games is that I have to spend time sorting out updates there first. Getting back to Carlin, who will be very much about her stuff, now.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Esh wrote: »

Protip: A feature that is often overlooked in the character sheets that people make in Mythweavers is how the "Attack" and "Damage" workspace fields are handled. If you type in the first 3 letters of an ability score into the field labeled "Ability X" it will auto-complete that section for either your attack rolls or damage. This means as your level goes or your scores change, these adjust respectively.

Powers you must type in yourself. But just using those fields properly can save a lot of time, both for a DM in the case that he has to spool out your bonus on the fly, or for you.

Just wanted to let you guys know that. *vanishes*

edit: you still supply the proficiencies and other applicable bonuses though.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”