Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[OOC - 4E DnD] Artist of Sharn

AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Critical Failures
This is the OOC thread for Artist of Sharn. It's spiffy and the following good gentlemen are going to be losing their sanity in future:

Mr Rose - Half-Orc Ranger/Rogue (Striker)
Unexpected Monkey - Human Warlock (Striker)
Terrendos - Half-Elf Sorcerer (Striker)
Rius - Kalashtar Cleric (Leader)
TSI|Awesome - Kobold Wizard (Controller)

We have an In Character Thread here.

Those who succumbed to madness

DVG - Changeling Bard (Leader) - Eaten alive by Black Dogs and something worse.
Kakos - Human Avenger (Striker) - Tried to save Eve... but the monster was too quick and she lost him somewhere on the streets of Sharn... streets that soon became endless...
Terrendos - Tiefling Bard (Leader) - Stared into the darkness and could not take the darkness staring back...
Visiblehowl - Kalashtar Paladin (Defender) - Went missing into the broken world....
Mars - Dwarf Fighter (Defender) - Took up a special position in the Sharn Watch after the cleansing of the Cult of Shoggoth.

The Glorious Dead list. Characters whom, in any campaign I've run have been permanently killed in gameplay.

Spoiler:

You will need:

Maptools beta 63

Ventrilo

The 4E Players Handbook

The Eberron Players Guide

So I was thinking to start at 10am my time, which would be 11pm on a Friday night for Mr. Rose. This is because I want one day in the week I can sleep in a bit and Saturdays is it.

It's 6:30 PM US eastern time Friday Night.

It's 5:30 PM US central time Friday Night.

Sessions will be four hours long, though if people are keen I will be happy to keep playing for longer. I have another game though afterwards so I can't play for too much longer :P

The Artist of Sharn

TheArtist.jpg

Those gathered within the crowded lecture hall rented out from Morgrave University shifted uncomfortably within the tight seats, normally reserved for students and not those of the nobility. Arranged in front of them were the lifelong acquisitions of the late Ian Escelle, his estate being sold off at auction after the tragic deaths of Ian, his wife Gladriel, his son Arasim and his daughter Ophelia. Formerly a very rich family, the Escelles fortune was founded on the retrieval and sale of artifacts taken from deep within the continent of Xen'drik. Ian Escelle, like his father, kept the family tradition and had numerous successful expeditions retrieving some highly notable artifacts like the Sword of Lost Souls and the Crown of Thorns. Ians success rate for finding such artifacts in Xen'drik was unparalleled, partly due to the fact he was an accomplished swordmage and artificer more than capable of holding his own against the horrors of the dark continent.

It was one such trip to Xen'drik that proved the beginning of the end of the Escelle family. Ten months ago Ian departed for Xen'drik on the hunt for artifacts from a recently uncovered temple. The temple had developed a particularly foul reputation, with those who dared to enter never coming back again and even if they did, they were reduced to nothing more than cannibalistic monsters. Upon hearing of the temple, Ian seemed to treat the news and rumors like a personal challenge to his own abilities. In almost record time, he assembled an expedition and traveled to Xen'drik by airship heading straight towards the temples known location. Turning to those family and friends who were there to say goodbye, he boldly declared that he would be back "Within three months or less if there was nothing worth finding!" - words that nobody present could ever forget.

Although far from his family in Sharn, Ian never failed to send letters to his beloved wife Gladriel on a montly basis. Approximately three months into his expedition, no letter had been forthcoming to Gladriel and nobody in Stormreach had any contact with him either. Holding out hope it was just a mistake or oversight, those left behind in Sharn simply waited at first for weeks, then a month and soon several months with no word. A rescue expedition funded by Gladriel also failed to return and soon nobody, not even the bravest adventurers, would dare to help from the reputation for failure that surrounded such secondary expeditions. After several more months had passed and when Gladriel had given up all hope came remarkable news from friends in Stormreach - Ian had returned!

However, joy at the news soon turned to horror upon learning of the circumstances of Ians return. Ian had returned alone with not a single member of his expedition making it back with him. The only clue to their fates was his incoherent screaming and ranting about the "moving carvings", but ultimately none of his rantings were intelligible enough to provide any solid insight. Other than the mysterious fate of those who followed him was the fact he carried with him but a single object - a gold and bone bound tome - that appeared to almost "bleed" a black inky substance from the pages. Nothing anyone could do could wrench the book free from his clutches as if it was bound to his very flesh. With no idea what to do, Ians friends in Stormreach sent for Gladriel to retrieve her husband so she could hopefully seek help in Sharn.

It was over a month before Ian regained enough of his composure to speak and function independently. The accursed book he had bought back was forever at his side, ocassionally dripping its black ink upon the floor and other surfaces. Their young daughter Ophelia would often take to collecting the substance and would use it to draw her crude drawings with it - much to her mothers utter disgust. Ian for his part took little heed of his family, becoming especially cold and distant with his wife Gladriel and usually constrained himself to his study, now equivalent to a heavily armored fortress. Barred with heavy cold iron doors, scrawled with warding runes and the holy symbols of nearly every faith of Khorvaire Ian would very rarely leave the room - highly uncharacteristic of the man.

Nobody truly knows what happened to Ian and his family, but close friends say that Ians actions became more and more erratic over time. Of these actions, one in particular was well known in the general community and involved Ians numerous dogs, having been apparently related to a friend by Gladriel directly. Ian had always had a passion for breeding many varieties of dogs and loved his animals dearly. Rumor has it that one night the animals became extremely panicked and would not cease barking. Ian told his family to wait in his study and shut the door, urging them not to open it for any reason unless he said so. Huddled together with the children, Gladriel could only hear the yelps of pain and the sound of a blade hacking through flesh again and again. A few hours later Ian returned covered in blood and patches of dislodged fur, mumbling over and over to himself "Mercy...I did it out of mercy...". By the morning all of the 63 or so dogs the Escelles owned - many of them champion breeders and a great number of pups - had been killed and were dragged off to burned the next morning. The slaying of the Escelles dogs especially upset young Ophelia who ceased speaking and confined herself to her room from that point on.

Gladriel became prone to mental breakdowns, Arasim refused to acknowledge his father anymore and Ophelia had taken to talking to an imaginary friend, barely speaking to the rest of the family. Ian for his part seemed oblivious to any of the chaos around him and if anything became even more erratic. He would shout at and even hit his wife and children from time to time - things he had never done before. The servants became increasingly afraid of his varied moods and obsession with the book. With the Escelles home life collapsing around them and friends becoming increasingly concerned, it seemed as if things couldn't get worse - but then everything went silent for days at the Escelle mansion. For six long days, nobody had heard or seen the Escelles or their servants. A neighbour, concerned for their safety made the trip over and went to investigate. He soon found the front door open and the first of the servants within the main hallway, shredded into pieces. Holding back his morning breakfast rapidly ascending up his throat he went for help and the Sharn Watch rapidly descended upon the Escelle estate.

They soon found many more bodies, torn apart by some kind of animal and yet absolutely no indication of any forced entry. Many of the victims had been shredded alive in the rooms they attempted to barricade or hide in - yet not once was the barricade or door seemingly disturbed. There was utterly no indication of any forced entry into or even out of the room. Then there was the study, Ians "Fortress" within his own house. Completely barred and magically sealed, it took the efforts of numerous artificers to finally crack the magical and physical protections to open up the room. Despite the horrific mess inside the sealed room there was almost no sign of the family at all. Clearly a massive struggle had occurred within the room due to the clear bloodstains and marks from spells that covered the floor and walls, but no bodies were anywhere to be seen.

Only one object stood out clearly among the carnage and debris within; a tome with inlaid gold for a cover and bound with bone.

Surprised at the amount of force force required to take the book from its resting place, they wrapped the book up and removed it from the scene quickly. Once more, they could find no method of entry or how whatever caused the resulting chaos defeated the magical wards that covered every surface of the room so trivially. As they stood puzzling over the mystery there was a shout from outside, which prompted the group to run out just in time to see the airship carrying the watch member with the book fall from the sky. The last thing that could be seen as the airship rapidly descended downwards until it's final resting place amongst the many tall spires of Sharn below was its elemental. Unbound and free, it was seen madly clawing its way off the ship but was held back by some unknown force until it broke entirely free. The insane elementals rampage cost many more lives until heroically put down by a group of adventurers. Of those on the airship, none survived the fall and subsequent destruction of the craft except for the book, which almost miraculously survived.

Several weeks later the decision was made - somewhat reticently - to resolve the remaining debts of the Eselle household by selling what remained of the estate and their possessions.

Those in the auction house today shifted uncomfortably as lot 345 was put up for bidding, the golden tome bound with bone that Ian had retrieved on his last expedition. Although widely believed to be cursed, the tome had ended up simply being thrown into the auction due to a lack of any solid idea of what to do with it. Attempts to read it had failed due to the lack of any actual words, runes or even magical script within the tome - in fact it was curiously blank. Having spent much of its time on a shelf for weeks without causing any further issue and all magical analysis failing to determine anything as to its nature, the tome was simply given to the auction house with the rest of the Escelle state to sell off. A noble started to raise a hand to place his opening bid, when a black and distinctly oil like substance began to leak in drips from the book. The theater instantly went deathly quiet, the only sound punctuating the silence was the slow dripping of the liquid onto the marble floor.

The sequence of events that happened shortly after the book began to bleed are confused as those few who survived seem barely able to comprehend the events that unfolded. A man, perhaps a woman or perhaps even some form of creature wearing a mask in the shape of some animal appeared within the room and began to advance towards the book. It wore a long dark coat and appeared to have a tall hat with a flat top covering a shaggy amount of greasy white stranded hair that covered much of its upper features. As it moved it drew a long thin blade that shimmered and shifted with the light while never staying quite the same shape. Lord Datiel - a well renowned sorcerer within Sharn and friend of the Escelle family who helped organize the auction - stepped forth and demanded the stranger explain themselves or risk being attacked. The figure stopped and while other guards circled around to apprehend it seemed to assess the elderly sorcerer. Even as the guards drew closer it did not seem to react or even move a single muscle, until one guard drew just close enough to its reach. With lightning speed the creature slashed with its shimmering blade at precisely neck height and took the guards head straight off his shoulders; all without ever looking in the mans direction even once.

Datiel horrified and unable to get a clear shot at the now rapidly pirouetting and dancing figure as the frightened people in the room panicked realized it was bearing down on him. Thinking quickly he called forth the power from within his blood and sent forth a terrific bolt of lighting at the figure. What would have easily slain an ordinary human being and even many monsters was trivially shrugged off by the figure. Datiels last moments were a mixture of sheer disbelief and utter agony as he was gutted on the spot. Watching Datiel die simply spread the panic further and even to the other guards, who had never seen any creature shrug off powerful magic so easily. For those trying to escape, there was to be no relief as doorknobs melted away in their hands to be shortly followed by the actual door right after. Away from the panic, the figure picked up the gold tome off its podium and rubbed the surface of the book gently. Caressing the book, it turned its attention back to the panicked crowd and then pulled its blade free from Datiels corpse.

The screams subsided within only a few short minutes and when reinforcements burst in, all that was left was corpses and the dying. The creature could not be seen anywhere and like with the murders at the Escelle mansion, there was no obvious way it had left the room - though those who survived would later claim that it had "melted" away into nothing. All it had taken was a single object, the book from lot 345 and right when most baffled by the events one of the students who came to assist saw lot 402 - a painting. Although thought of as being nothing more than a rather morbid acquisition - it depicted the massacre of a group of people - the perception of the painted scene changed to those observing the carnage before them. The scene in the painting was identical right down to the horrified looks of the individuals within it.

Individuals who were standing in the room at that very moment.

Almost as if they were staring at a perfect mirror of the carnage before them.

A perfect mirror that had been taken from the Escelle estate weeks ago.

Lot 402 soon became known by the name for the scene that it depicts - The Escelle auction massacre.

Five further murders have occurred in Sharn in the weeks after, with each murder becoming increasingly grisly and with its own matching painting. Each time paintings showing the scene of the gruesome killing in perfect detail, down to the smallest drop of blood to the largest object have been found. Often these paintings have been acquired days and sometimes even weeks before the killings have occurred without anyone even realizing what the significance until it is too late. The Sharn Watch has failed to find any solid leads on their suspect, who despite wearing distinctive clothing is more difficult to track than any ghost or changeling. Fear holds the citizens of Sharn as nobody is safe; he slays the nobleman, the merchant and the underclass citizen just as readily with almost no identifiable pattern - except for the beautiful pieces of artwork depicting their death that he leaves behind.

Those on the streets of Sharn have come to call him the Artist of Sharn.

And there is a ten-thousand gold piece reward for anyone who can provide information that leads to his capture or death.

In that time, it's a good idea to get an idea of the games theme and such for roleplaying your characters so here's the general information:

1) The entire game is set in Sharn. You will be going elsewhere sometimes, but this is done so that I can really build Sharn as this fantastic over-densely populated city filled with decay, horrible plots by things best left unsaid and build a high sense of verisimilitude.

2) Here is a handy picture of Sharn to get you interested and for an idea of my thinking:

Sharn.jpg

3) Character wise (but see theme below)

Monsterous races are encouraged. Eberron seems to mix things like Gnolls, Minotaurs and such forth in a more seamless way than say, Forgotten Realms (Ogres, Gnolls, Minotaurs make up the underclass of the city). So I have less problems with you wanting to play these races.

And of course, Warforged are 100% encouraged and allowed.

I don't have any restrictions really to be honest though I am not going to allow races with oversized weapons and Kobolds. You may wonder about Kobolds, but it's mostly because Shifty is just ridiculous.

Edit: I forgot, Eberron background feats or PHB2 background feats are permitted. The ridiculous Scales of War background feats are not allowed. You may not take FR background feats as well, that just doesn't make sense.

4) Theme.

Theme is the most important part of any campaign as I have relearned when I started DMing 4th edition. When I get the theme wrong, the entire game suffers for it as I've seen with Tides of Dust (where I put Pyramid of Shadows into the game and completely derailed it). When I get it right the game just writes itself, people enjoy themselves and I find it is a pleasure to DM (Sorrow of Heaven is a good example). So I think expanding on the sort of theme of this campaign is a good idea, but without trying to ruin anything (the plot is fairly complex - hence my restriction to one City).

Effectively, the Artist of Sharn mixes Call of Cthulhu themes and elements with something akin to a Sherlock Holmes novel. Your primary role as protagonists is to more or less investigate an increasingly bloody series of gruesome murders within the City of Sharn. All the while testing your characters morality and eventually their sanity.

This game has a pretty screwed up kind of theme though, it's not particularly combat orientated either but what combat you will encounter is either going to be:

A) Murderous

or

B) Horribly weird

Accounting for the fact your regular encounter is EL + 3 and occasionally as high as EL + 6. This is because there are fewer combats, but unlike other games I'm trying to make most fights either significant or just as outright over the top bananas as I can.

To give you an image, this is what I'm aiming for with this campaigns combat.

sharn-1.jpg

As an idea for something to look forward to at some point in this campaign you will be fighting down the vertical face of a tower. Effectively, I am making many fights as over the top and pulp action as I can. I feel this fits with Eberrons theme as a whole (something also important to a campaign!).

Returning back to the issue of theme, when making your characters it should be remembered at its core The Artist of Sharn is a horror campaign, with your PCs being the protagonists in a Sherlock Holmes novel (you can argue among yourselves who ends up as Watson). This means the game has a lot of interaction with NPCs, because the things in this campaign aren't going to be in convenient dungeons you can hack through to find answers. This isn't to say you're going to be spending sessions trying to figure out what on earth you're supposed to do (as that is neither entertaining or fun), but that if you make "Wulgar the barbarian who doesn't talk much" you're going to be spending a lot of time not doing a lot.

Additionally, there is an insanity score and mechanic being used in this campaign. I'm just neither going to explain it or even tell you just how far over the edge you've gone. Things will however start "happening" to you over a long period in the campaign (so you're unlikely to see any effects in Heroic tier as an example) and it's up to you to decide (rather than the behind the scenes mechanics) if you really are nuts or not (But then, as you can't see those behind the scenes mechanics, how do you know?). For example you might see or hear things and perhaps you fight imaginary monsters while the rest of the party screams at you for help. Perhaps you've been talking to a secret "contact" the other PCs don't know about, who happens to always be right and then turns out that when you get caught by the other PCs they have no idea why you're talking to yourself.

Or why you're covered in blood.

But ultimately you can either sort of embrace the craziness, seek help, try to stoically fight off what is happening or perhaps you feel you're too far gone. There is always the easy way out in a city filled with incredibly high towers....

Before continuing it's worth noting this is done to enhance the games theme, increase the feeling of desperation as the plot moves forwards and provide interesting roleplaying opportunities. It's not designed to deliberately screw you over or make the game artificially harder. I've run Call of Cthulhu for many many years (the RPG) so I have a good understanding of how to make such mechanics fun and not detrimental or worse, taking control of your character away from you unfairly.

To return to what I'm getting at the more you think about the sort of themes and build a character to mesh with those the more everyone will get out of this game. There is still a lot of thumping things in the face and "kill things, take their stuff", but unlike other campaigns I've run don't be so hung up on things like role. If the party is 3 leaders, a defender and 2 strikers that's fine. You aren't facing a lot of multiple combats except in some circumstances (and they are certainly not multiple hard encounters one after the other), so potions and second wind will go a long way. Ideally a defender and leader is probably the two only classes I think you would want at minimum, but you can probably live without them (albeit, the encounters are generally pretty hard but I've designed a lot of them with being single shot encounters - there is probably a lot more down time equivalently in Artist of Sharn than in my other campaigns).

Oh and this is a pretty horribly violent campaign, given that it starts off about a deranged serial killer and goes from there. You have been warned :P

5) Information.

We should hopefully have a thread about Eberron for those curious to know more, but basically Eberron is a pulp action movie version of most typical fantasy worlds. They had a pretty big war recently that lasted over a century, ending only a couple of years ago when one of the combatants exploded horribly and the other nations basically decided they didn't want to explode either. After a conference to work out how to make peace, they split the original five nations into twelve smaller ones and are currently in a cold war situation, where anyone might be plotting to restart it.

Sharn is one of the major cities and is pretty magically enhanced. Using geothermal energy (it's built on a Volcano) and the labor of lots of monstrous critters like ogres, they basically have this massive vertically built city on an area roughly the size of central part in the US. Due to the fact its built mostly straight up, flight and other means of magical transportation are rather important for getting around (see above picture). There are portions of the city that are actually floating well above others and they have quite a lot of magic schools and similar. It reminds me a bit of a final fantasy type city, filled with a lot of magitech stuff (airships with bound elementals to power them for example) and odd people. This is partly what attracted me to using the city to begin with (plus its decrepit undercity: perfect for this sort of campaign).

Also, it has cockroach monsters that rip their way out of peoples flesh and eat them. I think that's pretty damn awesome no matter what way you cut it.

6) Final stuff

Okay I'll shut up for now. Basically, we'll be beginning in July and you are welcome to just ask me questions and similar in the thread. You don't have to wait for the EPG to come out, you can build an artificer or warforged character using the rules they have released. If you want to update these characters once the book comes out simply feel free to.

You start with fresh level 1 characters.

You have 500 starting gold

And no, that is not a typo.

As I'm viewing you as very tightly important to the plot narrative and such, make sure you make your mans how you want. If you say, want to play a Psion in July when they come out choose another class like a Sorcerer or similar. Then just retcon your Psion over your existing character (perhaps changing equipment if needed) and we'll pretend it was always like that. You're characters are a really important part of the story, so I'm not really wanting a lot of chopping and changing of PCs unless you die horribly. Dying horribly is always good for the narrative :P

Aegeri on

• AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay, so we'll have to begin next week instead of this week. My workload in terms of SCIENCE! is a bit too much this weekend and so I haven't had the time to poke and update my DnD threads as I would like. So I'm forced to delay this game until Friday August 7 (Saturday August 8th for me). Sorry about this, but I think I need to get my SCIENCE! done this weekend or I'm just going to get so far behind I won't be able to run any DnD at all! Such is the whims of my bacteriums :(

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aww man, and I finally got around to actually putting my equipment/powers up on myth-weavers... :P

Also, I just realised I could use Twin Strike with mah shurikens. :winky:

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Okay, so we'll have to begin next week instead of this week. My workload in terms of SCIENCE! is a bit too much this weekend and so I haven't had the time to poke and update my DnD threads as I would like. So I'm forced to delay this game until Friday August 7 (Saturday August 8th for me). Sorry about this, but I think I need to get my SCIENCE! done this weekend or I'm just going to get so far behind I won't be able to run any DnD at all! Such is the whims of my bacteriums :(

Thank god. Not that your work load is huge, but I forgot about starting this week and made plans to see Funny People with the girlfriend. :D

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited August 2009
    Hey guys, can you get your characters sorted and on mythweavers by the end of the week so I can add them to the OP. I have a couple but I would like everyones. It makes my life easier so pwretty pwease XD

edited August 2009
    Mine's in my other post in case you missed it.

• MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Been having an extended family emergency the past couple weeks, so I've not had much time to get things together. I'm pretty tired, so I might have messed something up here and not noticed it.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=139942

Let me know if you guys see somewhere I screwed up/left out.

edited August 2009
    We are playing this weekend and so I would like everyones character sheets for the OP. I'll start editing them in later tonight or tomorrow. If you want any help with character creation and such just ask :)

Edit: Also to remind people, if you haven't taken a background feat you can. They are free and don't cost your normal feat at all! You can take an Eberron or PHB2 feat.

• visiblehowlvisiblehowl Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Change of plan! I'm now a Kalashtar Paladin instead of a Warforged Warden.

See you guys on Friday!

DogSig.gif
    edited August 2009
    We good to go then?

edited August 2009
    Game starts in an hour from now.

=D

Edit: We're using Penny Arcades Vent.

edited August 2009
    Okay, getting ready now. Work has been an absolute bear the last few weeks.

I did forget to bring my headset home, so I'm going to be stuck in Text Communication only, but I will have Vent up so I can listen to everyone else.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited August 2009
    That will be fine. I am pretty used to that situation :)

edited August 2009
    edited August 2009
    So can someone post the vent/maptools server info for those unacquainted? :)

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited August 2009
    We use the PA vent.

Maptools server is:

Port 51234
    IP: 219.89.245.66

edited August 2009
    As requested

This is, of course, current persona

82101.jpg

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited August 2009
    Interesting.

At least he doesn't have that glam rock hairstyle.

edited August 2009
    Sorry I had to miss the first campaign. I was really looking forward to it, but that's life for ya. I shouldn't (hopefully) have any sudden crises for a while, so I'll be there from now on.

edited August 2009
    Hey that's alright you can come and meet some crazy guy who is being possessed by something next session. Should be good fun.

edited August 2009
    So what happened in last night's game?

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited August 2009
    Nothing. It was all a dream.

Maybe.

Also, demonesses in Sharn are hot as hell (pun fully intended).

• Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Did anyone here save my token, by chance? I seem to have lost it. :(

SuperKawaiiWillSig.jpg
    edited August 2009
    I have all of your tokens saved.

Also, next session = MUAHAHHAHAHAHA.

;)

edited August 2009
    Update properties list:

|CORE|
    Level
    MaxHP
    *TempHP
    *HP
    *Damage
    Bloodied
    SurgeValue
    SurgePerDay
    *SurgeRemaining
    *AC
    *Fortitude
    *Reflex
    *Will
    *Speed
    *Elevation
    *Notes
    *Immune
    *Resist
    *Vulnerable
    MiscSaveBonus
    MiscAttBonus
    MiscDamBonus
    InitBonus
    *AP
    |EQUIPMENT|
    ArmorCheckPenalty (ACP)
    Weapon1Bonus (WB1)
    Weapon2Bonus (WB2)
    Weapon3Bonus (WB3)
    Weapon1Damage (WD1)
    Weapon2Damage (WD2)
    Weapon3Damage (WD3)
    Weapon1DamBonus
    Weapon2DamBonus
    Weapon3DamBonus
    Weapon1MaxDamage
    Weapon2MaxDamage
    Weapon3MaxDamage
    Weapon1Crit
    Weapon2Crit
    Weapon3Crit
    Implement1Bonus
    Implement2Bonus
    Implement3Bonus
    Implement1DamBonus
    Implement2DamBonus
    Implement3DamBonus
    Implement1Crit
    Implement2Crit
    Implement3Crit
    |ATTRIBUTES|
    Strength (Str)
    Constitution (Con)
    Dexterity (Dex)
    Intelligence (Int)
    Wisdom (Wis)
    Charisma (Cha)
    |SKILLS|
    Acrobatics
    Arcana
    Athletics
    Bluff
    Diplomacy
    Dungeoneering
    Endurance
    Heal
    History
    Insight
    Intimidate
    Nature
    Perception
    Religion
    Stealth
    Streetwise
    Thievery
    |BONUS|
    StrBonus
    ConBonus
    DexBonus
    IntBonus
    WisBonus
    ChaBonus
    LevelBonus

edited August 2009
    My lord I am sick today, I think I must have got something yesterday but I am not well at all and am having a good dose of vomiting and such.

We won't be able to play today as a result.

edited August 2009
    S'okay, there's plenty of other Fridays during which we may stab things. Take it easy this weekend, and get better soon. Otherwise Kakos will spank you.

edited August 2009
    Cool. I gots a sick girlfirend to attend to, and "Sorry, D&D" was going to sound slightly insensitive.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited August 2009
    Really sorry about last Saturday. To say that I got a chickeny surprise (and not a good one) is to say the least.

However I am now back to work and we will definitely be playing this weekend (even if I have to drag myself out of the pits of hades!). I have decided that I will do a few things differently in this game than my other games as well over the weekend. Primarily in monsters.

Most of the monsters in this game are now going to be elites or solos (standard monsters are literally not going to be common). The benefit of this is that I can change around their powers very heavily, so that one monster is not at all similar to another monster. For example macroing 2 elite monsters isn't much work, while macroing 5 or 6 standard monsters like this would be a lot of work. This also means you'll never be able to tell what a creature is going to do until it does something; within reason. Most creatures will still have common powers, but they will also exhibit different behavior as well so that you'll never be quite sure what something might pull out on you.

Additionally this means one creature may be different types. Black dogs as an example can be brutes or they can also be controllers - so don't assume anything about a creature just because you've seen it before! this also means monsters (due to their lower numbers) will all be rolling individual initiative and acting on their own turn. As opposed to acting like some monogamous hive mind - albeit there are monsters I've designed specifically with this kind of theory in mind that deliberately all go on the same initiative.

At the moment, I am sure the standard Artist of Sharn adventuring day (combat wise) is 2-3 combats before an extended rest and less monsters will generally fit with that well.

edited August 2009
    Hey Guys,

After working 8:00 am - 3 am yesterday and then getting up and working a full day today, I think it's fairly unlikely that I'll be awake come 6 tonight.

Really sorry. I feel like if you want to get another player to fill my spot you probably should, as the last month has proven my life isn't structured right for RPGs :( It's disappointing, because I really like what you've imagined here Aegeri.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited August 2009
    Tis okay sir! I have a guy who will be chomping at the bit to get into the game if you can't play.

Edit: If you're really sure though, there are a few people I would like to ask if they can play.

edited August 2009
    Not an app at all, but I thought you might want to see what happened to the half-elf I mentioned:
    Spoiler:

edited August 2009
    This is all the magical stuff you have:

Amulet of Mental Resolve +1 (level 2) (Visiblehowl; Neck)
    Silver Magical Spiked Chain +1 (level 2) (Weapon)
    Broach of No Regrets +1 (level 3) (Neck)
    Terror Weapon +1 (Level 4) (Weapon)
    Shared Suffering Leather Armour +1 (level 5) (Armour)

The amulet is inscribed "From my dearest Eve".

Edit: The combat was also pretty hard today, but that was partly because it was designed for six people and I decided that I would just use it as a means of dramatically removing the other character. I can bring you back DVG if you change your mind, but at the moment you've been eaten by a black dog :P

Also, I'm an expert of combats that go down to the wire in 4E. :P Don't be too surprised if things look awful but the party somehow pulls through with 2 death saving throws down. Also don't be afraid of using your dailies and such! I design encounters around you having plenty of downtime to rest and heal - this game isn't about dungeon crawling!

edited August 2009
    Updated sheet:
    Spoiler:

edited August 2009
    I'm starting to reconsider going up to plate. I've been noticing a lot of potential uses of athletics in combat, which right now only is affected by my shield. And since we have two defenders, it's a little easier to spread the damage. Since I already intended to focus Kagnok on a lot of mobility based powers, I'm wondering if it would be better to take that idea to it's fullest extent and make him a sort of mobile defender, who doesn't focus on tanking the big uglies so much as running back and forth across the battlefield to whoever is in the most immediate danger, using his powers to pull allies out of harms way and draw enemies into it.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of character? Is it actually useful, or am I stuffing a square peg into a round hole?

edited August 2009
    That would be a solid plan actually, the only considerations are to get magic items that prevent slowed/immobolized (or allow you some teleports) so you can get about. The other thing is to remember your most important second duty is to mark enemies to relieve pressure off the other defender. Too much focused fire on a defender will bring them down eventually.

Edit this came up in A Race Around Eberron and I thought you guys may be a bit interested (Obviously OOC).

Conversation.jpg

In terms of timeline, A Race Around Eberron is set before the events in Artist of Sharn.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, since it appears that your Bard is being replaced, I humbly submit... another Bard. Depressingly enough, it also happens to be the Virtue of Cunning build. Hopefully, however, he's different enough in other ways to make up for it.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Dragonborn and Dwarves, Kalashtar and Minotaur, it is my very deepest pleasure to introduce myself. In the past, I have been known by the name Wulfrich von Richter. but you may address me as the Inimitable, the Glorious, the Brilliant, the Astounding, the Often Arousing... the Great Vizzini the Magnificent!"

"Tell me ladies and gentlemen, have you heard the tale of the brilliant Hyraklion? A noble thief of truest honor, and a brilliant mind heretofore unforeseen upon this world. His stories are the stuff of legend, my listeners, and had we the requisite hundred nights I would impart to you his legendary saga. Or perhaps you would know the tale of Dophus the Dreary, whose dizzying intellect and monotonous speech put an army to sleep? Oh, his is a wonderful tale!"

Sigh. "I am... sorry, my friends, my beloved audience of listeners. For you see, you have heard these tales before. You have heard them all. Truth be told, I am but an amateur, an apprentice, a mere student in the scholarly ways of story-telling. Yet I believe, nay my friends, I know, that with a single original, brilliant story, I might ascend to the heights of fame and fortune in one swift stroke! And so when I heard mention of the mysterious deeds perpetrated by the pernicious personage known by the appellation, the auteur known as the Artist, that I might find a story worthy of my tenuously trained tongue. And of course, the primary players in this perfect portraiture of power would be yourselves! So I ask you: would it please you that I might show you my vaguely verifiable, rapidly written resume?"

"Hmm... 'Rapidly written?' I guess it's alliteration, but it just seems shoddy. I'll have to work on that one. Oh, yes! The resume! I nearly forgot. Here you are!"
    Spoiler:

EDIT: I'll try to get a Mythweavers sheet up at some point when it's not nearly 4 AM here.

Sig1.png
    edited August 2009
    That looks excellent Terrendos. I am considering when you're character will turn up into the game at the moment. I forgot to mention that you should be level 2 and not level 1 as well. You'll meet the party looking for "Eve" most likely, who is one of the more prominent whores in Sharn and whose working girls are the ones that have turned up dead. The party already has a link between Eve and Cunning, the unfortunate owner of a bookstore specializing in Elven fairy tales so that would be a handy time to meet them!

edited September 2009
    Updated! I shall be bearing things in mind.

Also the map:

LocationMapAoS.jpg

Locations will be added to the map as the game progresses. Some of these places you'll need to go back to multiple times during the course of the campaign.

edited September 2009
    Aegeri:
    Okay, as you approach the general area known as "Harlot's Row" you get an increasingly disturbed feeling of unease
    Aegeri:
    You have *seen* these streets and towers before

Zahar:
    Acrobatics Check 28
    Aegeri:
    It's identical to what you saw in that...nightmare or whatever it was.
    Aegeri:
    Except there are more people, street vendors selling wares from the crude to the only vaguely legal
    Aegeri:
    And of course, the women who give this place its name and reputation.
    Aegeri:
    You can see several women on the street here and various other individuals in the stores. Some of the stores seem to have been firmly shut, with notices of "permanent foreclosure" written on them.
    Aegeri:
    There are a great deal of items on sale despite that though, so you can pick up most things you would need from this area... and more.
    Aegeri:
    One of the women, a dirty dishevelled woman who is wearing entirely too much makeup waddles over to you as soon as she sees you.

Harlot:
    Why good day there my fine lads (she completely ignores Roux).

Harlot:
    Are you here to have a good time?

Harlot:
    *smiles, showing somewhat yellowed and unpleasant teeth*

Dorvin:
    Good day to you miss. Have you seen Eve about? We have news of some urgency to her.

Harlot:
    Eh? Eve? What's you want with her when you could ave me aye Mister?
    * Zahar grins wider, showing a pair of sharp tusks...

Zahar:
    she was...recommended to us

Harlot:
    Oh? Well, I sorry but I ain't sure about where ole Eve is right now.
    Mr_Rose:
    what's the height difference between the two levels here?

Harlot:
    You know, that other fellow, the devil blood *she motions down the street* was also asking around after her.
    Aegeri:
    10 feet.
    Mr_Rose:
    what do I need to jump 10 feet stright up?
    Aegeri:
    Kagnok and Makharath are actually on the same level.
    Aegeri:
    Athletics/2
    Aegeri:
    So at least probably DC 20 from a standing jump

Kagnok:
    Athletics Check: 10

Zahar:
    Athletics Check 25
    Aegeri:
    Well that works
    Aegeri:
    I'll put you there for simplicities sake
    Mr_Rose:
    'kay
    Aegeri:
    You have a good view of the surroundings
    Aegeri:
    Definitely the same place from your dream... but much better populated.
    Terrendos:
    Let me know when it's my queue
    Aegeri:
    Any time you want

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    *shouting* Come on, Mara! I know you're holding out on me! You know more than you're letting on! Let me in and let's talk this over like adults!
    * Zahar leaps almost straight up in order to get a better view

Kagnok:
    Thank you for your time, miss. By the way, just out of curiosity, have you seen anything...odd around here today?

Mara:
    Look, I'm not saying nothing about no damn murders.

Mara:
    I ain't ending up like Hildred.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Please, I must know everything!

Dorvin:
    Well thank you miss. I suppose I should go speak to the devel blood before he gets himself into trouble.

Kagnok:
    Well, that seems odd enough. Let's check out what this commotion is about

Harlot:
    Just the usual like black filth growing on places and people acting all weird. Not that many customers.

Harlot:
    Are you sure you aren't interested in a good fuck sir? I could really use the gold...

Dorvin:
    People acting wierd? Because of the protege?

Mara:
    Oh no, last storeowner around here who want babbling the mouth ended up having an unsightly fall

Mara:
    And I'm sure it wasn't the good kind

Kagnok:
    Uh, ahem, sorry, but we are on urgent business

Harlot:
    Oh yes... lot of crazies about

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    *turns to the party* Whoops, caught me with my hand in the biscuit tin I suppose. Sorry chaps, but I need to speak with this'n before you can come in.

Harlot:
    Never know anymore

Harlot:
    Used to be so honest a while ago.
    Mr_Rose:
    how open is the door to my west?
    Aegeri:
    It's shut

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Falls 'round here ain't so bad... it's the sudden stop, really
    Mr_Rose:
    locked?

Mara:
    Not when you've had your head cut off

Kagnok:
    Hold on a minute, son, just calm down, what's this all about?
    Aegeri:
    Yes, the door is locked
    Mr_Rose:
    I'm a gonna try to pick it
    Aegeri:
    Yep go ahead

Zahar:
    Thievery Check 11

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Now then, Dwarf, calm down. You can have your turn as soon as Mara here lets me know what's going on
    Aegeri:
    Although the lock is pretty rusted, it holds firm against your attempts to pick it.
    Aegeri:
    Obviously made of better stuff than that you encountered at Cunnings

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    If you've a liking for the svelte, that Drow down there might be free

Dorvin:
    I see. Well thank you again. Here's a little something for you time. *Hands her a gold piece.

Zahar:
    Grumph

Kagnok:
    *Kagnok points to the Guard insignia on his armor*

Mara:
    Look, if you want to buy some charms maybe we will talk, but I ain't saying shit about no moiders!

Kagnok:
    I'm afraid this is rather my business. If you have a problem, we can sort it out without all this commotion

Makharath:
    Uhh good day madamn (scurries off)

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    I don't suppose you'd possess any charms that might help me find a madman?

Mara:
    There is one outside my shop right now!

Zahar:
    what about this one?

Eos:
    *startled*

Eos:
    Oh, oh hello there

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Yes, well, officer... Hmm... this isn't an easy explanation to make.

Zahar:
    Hello

Kagnok:
    I'm all ears

Eos:
    Sorry, I'm not so used to customers these days

Zahar:
    no?

Eos:
    Um, how may I be of assistance?

Zahar:
    have you been here long?

Eos:
    I have numerous fruits and spices
    Aegeri:
    *Passive perception: You recognize this man, he's from your dream!*

Eos:
    Well yeah, a few months

Zahar:
    Wait, do I know you?

Eos:
    But it looks like my time here may be coming to a close

Eos:
    Ummm, no?
    * Zahar peers closer

Eos:
    I don't recall meeting you, my name is Eos.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Hrm... yes, INTRODUCTIONS! Ladies and gentlemen, little children and great hulking brutes, I respectfully introduce myself. Vizzini the Magnificent, at your service.

Zahar:
    No, you're right.

Zahar:
    You can't be the felow I met; he was killed by some sort of wild dog...

Eos:
    Huh?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    I'm something of an entertainer myself, not quite so... umm... skilled as these ladies here.

Harlot:
    *sidles up to Makharath*
    Unexpected:
    lol

Drow Harlot:
    *This woman silently stares at the party, as if sizing you up*

Zahar:
    Fruits and spices you say?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    You might say I'm doing research on the Artist of Sharn.

Eos:
    Mostly

Dorvin:
    What a coincidence. We are doing the same.

Zahar:
    I don't suppose you have anything from overseas?

Dorvin:
    My name is Dorvin, by the way.

Eos:
    I uhhh, sort of specialize in herbal makeup and other things. It's a rather popular store here... or at least it was.

Kagnok:
    The Artist...*Kagnok thinks for a moment*

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Is that so? I don't suppose you'd like to compare notes? Anything you know would be most helpful for the narrative I'm composing.

Eos:
    Hmmm, I do happen to have these wonderful smelling spices from the Jungles of Xen'drik.

Eos:
    If you'd like to buy some?

Kagnok:
    What then, led you to accosting this lady?

Zahar:
    Ah, of course, the decline you mentioned

Eos:
    Yeah, some fellow is murdering harlots and prostitutes.

Zahar:
    er, I'm not a fan of Xen'drik flavours

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    It is a simple matter, you see. I heard from a very reliable source that she was a witness to one of the recent prostitute deaths here.

Dorvin:
    I'm sure that would be helpful to both of us. What sort of narrative are you in the process of, Mr Vizzini?

Zahar:
    My parents often wish to find a particular fruit though

Eos:
    Oh?

Eos:
    What is it?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    I slipped her a few silver pieces in exchange for a bit of information, but that which she could provide thus far has been woefully inadequate

Zahar:
    if you have it...
    Unexpected:
    What sort of shop is this we're in front of?

Mara:
    Well you heard wrong good sir!

Zahar:
    from the continent of Sarlona?

Mara:
    *Mara comes barging out, all 4'8" of her*

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    The lady emerges!

Eos:
    OHh that's pretty rare indeed

Mara:
    My name is Mara, and I sell charms and other magical protective wear

Mara:
    Necklaces to ward off spirits and that sort of thing

Mara:
    And I *ain't* seen no murders

Mara:
    And even if I did, I wouldn't be dumb enough to talk about it

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    You also live on Harlot's Row. If anyone's seen prostitute murdering, it's you!

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    You see this, my good Dwarfly chap? She's completely unreasonable! Senseless!

Mara:
    I don't live here - I just work here and no *not* in that sense.

Zahar:
    yeas, I thought so. *looks disappointed*

Drow Harlot:
    Why are you interested in these murders?

Eos:
    Oh do cheer up son

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    What, are you asking me?

Eos:
    I have many contacts, if you can give me a list of what you're looking for I am certain I can arrange something

Drow Harlot:
    Why yes

Kagnok:
    Do *you* know something about these murders, miss?

Dorvin:
    Well to try and stop them.

Drow Harlot:
    I haven't even seen a member of the Sharn City Watch here.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    I do think I said that already. I'm composing a narrative, you see. A great epic tale!

Kagnok:
    A...A what?!

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    My good Dwarf! Surely you can see the makings of the great Tragedy of our time in this story!

Kagnok:
    I'm sorry, lad, but if you're looking to make a story, you'd be better served in the upper districts. Perhaps you'll find an editor there who will help you

Zahar:
    maybe if these murders would stop, your business would pick up and I could find mother some riedran apples

Zahar:
    Do you think?

Drow Harlot:
    Are you Inquisitives>?
    * Zahar examines the fruit stand

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Inquisitives? Not by a long shot! I'm just a man who loves a good tale.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    And this one... oh, this could make the author famous!

Eos:
    Certainly, actually I believe I could get those

Kagnok:
    *Kagnok turns back to the harlto* I am a member of the City Guard. I'm...investigating these murders on my own time

Eos:
    It would be a while of course, but I am certain I can find that

Eos:
    I've had them before.

Eos:
    Didn't sell overly well though

Drow Harlot:
    I see.

Drow Harlot:
    I am Lorena

Zahar:
    No? I guess they're too sour for most people...

Eos:
    Yes sadly

Kagnok:
    Any information you could give us to help bring this... murderer... to justice would be greatly appreciated

Zahar:
    still, you will let me know if you find out anything, won't you?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    *talking to himself* The tragic fall into insanity of the Artist as his devotion becomes obsession... the plight of the investigators as they search for the man... why, it's practically written for me!

Lorena:
    I didn't see what happened and the only person who did was eve and she ain't told anyone but Cherie where she's gone.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Cherie? Inconceivable!

Dorvin:
    I see. Could you point us in the direction of Cherie?

Kagnok:
    Hmm. We were looking for Eve, in fact

Lorena:
    She points upwards towards the balcony

Lorena:
    I'll tell you this, Cherie is a bit...

Lorena:
    Special

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Excuse me, chaps. I've a woman to tame and answers to get.

Eos:
    I certainly shall good sir.

Lorena:
    He's certainly an enthusiastic one.

Dorvin:
    Indeed.

Zahar:
    Especially if it could help me help you and stop these murders

Kagnok:
    What did you mean when you said she's "special"

Mon Cherie:
    *This young looking woman doesn't seem to react to your presence, simply staring into space like nobody is there*

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Mon Cherie!
    Mr_Rose:
    cue abrupt subject-change

Lorena:
    She hasn't spoken much since Heriot was garotted and her insides spread over much of the street.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    *singing* Mon... Cherie...!

Lorena:
    Always regarded her as a bit of a... sister figure

Mon Cherie:
    *looks Vizzini up and down*

Mon Cherie:
    30 gold.

Dorvin:
    Was this another murder by the Artist or his so called Protege?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    *coughs*

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Excuse me, but that's not what I'm here for. Not remotely.

Lorena:
    The artist paints beautiful scenes of death... from what I hear. This "Protege" as he calls himself, he's just a butcher.

Mon Cherie:
    60 gold.

Kagnok:
    They're both butchers
    Mr_Rose:
    do I need to roll diplomacy or intimidate or something?
    * Vizzini the Magnificent gulps.

Lorena:
    At least one kills everyone on equal terms.

Dorvin:
    While art might be relative, I agree with my sturdy friend here.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    You appear to have caught me a bit light on the coffer... I don't suppose you could give me a bit of information pro bono?
    Aegeri:
    No, he seems to be filing away your request and is taking it seriously
    Mr_Rose:
    OK
    Aegeri:
    After a few in game days feel free to come back and ask how he's getting on with it.

Kagnok:
    Perhaps I should go make sure that that tiefling isn't sending our only lead into hysterics

Mon Cherie:
    That depends on what it is you want to know mister.

Dorvin:
    Excellent idea.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Oh, simple matter, simple question... hardly worth asking... where's Eve?

Makharath:
    *speeds away from the dity harlot*
    * Vizzini the Magnificent looks hopeful.

Mon Cherie:
    Why would you want to know that?

Zahar:
    Well, if you need to find me, you can ask at the Broken Tooth inn. Name's Zahar by the way.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    I merely need to ask her a question. You see, it's something of a loop.

Eos:
    Oh yes, I never forget a face don't worry have quite the memory for them

Zahar:
    Good day to you sir
    Unexpected:
    *Dorvin steps into Mara's shop and starts inspecting the merch.

Eos:
    Was always terrible with names though.

Mara:
    Good day there.

Dorvin:
    Good day to you miss. I don't suppose you carry wands or implements of the sort in stock?

Zahar:
    Don't worry, they know my tale there too...
    * Zahar points to his facial tattoos

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Would it help if I... played you a song? *pulls out his lute*

Kagnok:
    Don't suppose you've managed to woo this one, yet?

Eos:
    Aye.

Mara:
    Why yeah, I do have a few

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    As a matter of fact, I was about to charm her with my dulcet tones. You're welcome to listen.
    Mr_Rose:
    this door is also open, right?

Mara:
    You looking to buy something?

Dorvin:
    Excellent. I am miss.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    *singing* 'Even in the dark you can't... lose the love because it's in your heart!"
    * Zahar whispers to Roux: who's the new guy?
    Aegeri:
    Terrendos, you have disappeared off vent!

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Diplomacy CHeck 15

Kagnok:
    *Kagnok looks on, a slight look of astonishment at Vizzini's actions"
    Aegeri:
    Your song seems to break at least part of the cold exterior of the girl, who seems to pay you more attention and no longer seems to be staring off "elsewhere"

Mon Cherie:
    That was very pretty sir.

Mon Cherie:
    You would be?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    I'm playing at the Courageous Courtesan Stein House and Brewery Thursday if you'd like a repeat performance. The name's Vizzini the Magnificent.

Mon Cherie:
    I am Mon Cherie, most people call me Cherie or "Cher"

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Cherie it is.

Mon Cherie:
    So what makes you want to seek your own death?

Dorvin:
    Nasty business these murders. It really can't be helping your walk in business. *As Dorvin inspects her selection of wands

Mara:
    It's been hell I can tell you that

Mara:
    Used to get a lot of "interesting" clientele around here

Mara:
    But at least they paid well and were polite

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Mostly the despondency of life, I'd say.

Mara:
    Since the murders all you get is weirdos and increasingly less customers.

Mara:
    It's been pretty bad

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Perception: 10

Mara:
    Hell ole Forscythe has sort of become the local ladies hairdresser here as well as a mens barber

Mon Cherie:
    Everyone who finds Eve only finds death

Mon Cherie:
    I tried telling that silly man that

Mon Cherie:
    But he wouldn't listen.

Mon Cherie:
    He's dead now isn't he?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Beats me!

Zahar:
    I guess that depens which silly man you mean?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Ask Dwarfy McDwarfington over here

Mon Cherie:
    Cunning, you're wearing the Necklace she gave him.

Mon Cherie:
    I assume that means he died.

Zahar:
    Oh him

Kagnok:
    I'm afraid so, miss

Zahar:
    yes, but by his own foolishness

Mon Cherie:
    You are too honest looking to be thieves.

Mon Cherie:
    But I did warn him.

Zahar:
    he locked himself in a room and refused to leave

Zahar:
    we did not find him until it was far too late

Mara:
    This isn't even going to the weird monsters and other things that have begun turning up

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Can't speak on their behalf, but the only thing I've stolen is the ladies' hearts. And away from bad company.

Mara:
    Of course, everyone in the Sharn Watch is so busy chasing the artist that various copycat cronies like the Protege get away with blue bloody murder.

Mara:
    Not that anyone listens to us down here.

Mara:
    The lower down in sharn you are, the less people up there pay attention.

Zahar:
    We're listening

Mon Cherie:
    How sad.
    Mr_Rose:
    scratch that then

Mon Cherie:
    And now you want to find Eve?

Kagnok:
    My nose itches. I wonder if someone's talking about me

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    That would be the case, Cherie.

Mon Cherie:
    She lives in the Spiral tower just to the north of here.

Mon Cherie:
    Haven't heard much from there in days though

Mon Cherie:
    She tends to keep to herself

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    HaHA! Thank you muchly, kind seller of the fleshly pursuits.

Dorvin:
    Very interesting. I'll take this one, by the way. No need to wrap it.

Mon Cherie:
    Ever since she saw Heriot murdered.

Mara:
    Ah yes, that is most suited

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    I'm not gonna lie, you're a bit creepifyin', but I still appreciate the location.

Mon Cherie:
    A creature did this to me.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    If you'd like, I can make mention of you in my tale.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    It's gonna be legen- wait for it

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    DARY!

Mon Cherie:
    Dunno what it was, it appeared from the doorway suddenly and when I tried to run for another exit, it appeared there also

Mon Cherie:
    Took a chunk of my hair before I got rid of it.

Kagnok:
    Can you remember what it looked like?

Mon Cherie:
    It was small, less than three feet or so high

Mon Cherie:
    Had this horrible face composed mostly of teeth and eyes

Mon Cherie:
    I can still see it when I sleep at night...

Mon Cherie:
    Goes straight through doors and other objects.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Most unfortunate, but unfortunately superfluous.

Mon Cherie:
    There is some weird shit down here in Sharn, but that creature was novel even by my standards.

Mon Cherie:
    Heroit was gutted and murdered that night.

Forscythe:
    *This elderly gentleman is sharpening what looks to be a razorblade*

Kagnok:
    That sounds like a terrible orderal, I'm sorry you had to go through it.

Kagnok:
    Thank you for your assistance, though

Zahar:
    hello there

Mon Cherie:
    You should stay away from Eve.

Mon Cherie:
    Nice folk like you shouldn't get caught up in this...because once you draw his attention you can't get rid of it.

Forscythe:
    Good morning sir.

Forscythe:
    Would you like a haircut?

Zahar:
    not right now, but I will remember you.

Zahar:
    I'd rather have some information today

Forscythe:
    Hmmmm
    Aegeri:
    *There is something distinctly off about this guy, but you can't place it*
    Terrendos:
    Best kill him now to be safe
    Aegeri:
    lol
    Aegeri:
    XD

Zahar:
    I don't suppose you've seen any lost looking dogs around here?
    Mr_Rose:
    he's already dead
    Aegeri:
    He's actually a clone!
    Mr_Rose:
    killing him will only make him stronger!
    Terrendos:
    The call was coming from inside the house?
    Mars:
    My army is taking over!

Forscythe:
    They're called "Black Dogs"

Forscythe:
    Or at least that's the name given to them by the various inhabitants around here.
    * Zahar narrows his eyes
    Mr_Rose:
    I guess you've met one then?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Now then, Mara, now that we're all well acquainted, was there anything else you wanted to tell me?

Zahar:
    I guess you've met one then?
    Mr_Rose:
    sorry

Forscythe:
    Oh, one can't help by hear things.

Zahar:
    such as screams?

Kagnok:
    Well, lets find the rest of our group, let them know we can find Eve

Zahar:
    Perception Check 12

Forscythe:
    They come and they go during the night. Always watching, if you know who to look at you can always tell who is next to disappear.

Mara:
    Oh you again.

Mara:
    Buy something or get out?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    The Courageous Courtesan! Thursday! Be there!

Zahar:
    really now? that is interesting

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    *turns to the group* Now then, if you'd not mind, I could accompany you all. No reason to travel alone.

Zahar:
    I don't suppose it's somethign obvious though...

Forscythe:
    Oh yes. One just has to watch for the right signs.

Dorvin:
    Certainly. Safety in numbers and all that.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Ah yes, the joining of compatriots! This reminds me of the story of Grendlyn the Great

Kagnok:
    *Kagnok is listening to Zahar's conversation and not paying attention to Vizzini*
    Mr_Rose:
    Guys: From now on, please assume all spelling mistakes are Zahar's accent

Forscythe:
    You could say whomever this "Protege" is takes something that is the dredges of society and undervalued, to make it into genuine art.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    She was a tough one! Kagnok, if you're like most Dwarves, she'd be your kind of woman.

Dorvin:
    Insight Skill Check: 22
    Aegeri:
    The mans body language seems paralyzed and frozen, highly unusual
    Aegeri:
    It's pretty clear he's suffered some horrific injury that has paralyzed a good deal of his body
    Unexpected:
    Hmm.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Smacked about a great red dragon, they say! Then beat it over the head with her mallet and made it carry her back to her forge so she could make armor of its scales!
    Aegeri:
    He stares at the party as well, almost like he is assessing you...
    Mars:
    Barber seems like a dangerous profession for someone with a partial paralysis
    Mars:
    dangerous for the customers at least
    Aegeri:
    Watching him, he seems extremely skilled with the blades.
    Aegeri:
    This guy is definitely the definition of odd

Dorvin:
    It sounds like you have some admiration for the Protege.

Forscythe:
    Only an understanding

Forscythe:
    You learn to be very observant in my line of work and people tell you things.

Forscythe:
    If you listen you can learn much.

Dorvin:
    I imagine so. I know i'd certainly talk if a man behind me were holding a sharp blade to my neck.

Forscythe:
    Yes. Would you like a shave my good sir?

Forscythe:
    Not many come by anymore

Forscythe:
    Only fools and those with deathwishes.

Forscythe:
    I used to do Escelles hair.

Dorvin:
    Very kind of you to offer, but i'm rather fond of my beard.

Forscythe:
    Oh the man had such tales and stories. I had been cutting his hair ever since he was a boy.

Dorvin:
    Did you now? I'm sure he was a facinating customer.

Forscythe:
    He was... but he is quite dead now.

Dorvin:
    Very unfortunate business, that.

Forscythe:
    Presumably killed by that Artist or so they call him.

Forscythe:
    Hmmm yes.
    Aegeri:
    *You immediately get the impression he's begun to ramble, jumping between topics at random*

Kagnok:
    Really? He could afford to be anywhere in the city. Yet he came down to Harlot's Row just for his haircut?

Forscythe:
    Oh yes, quite a bond between a man and his barber
    Terrendos:
    Escelle? Would Vizzini know him? History check?

Forscythe:
    And his marital difficulties found... other solutions

Dorvin:
    Did he visit you after his last return from Xen'drik?

Forscythe:
    *He clicks the blades back and forth a few times, a clear sign of nervousness considering his paralyzed muscles prevent most other expression*

Forscythe:
    Yes... but he wasn't the same man.

Dorvin:
    I suppse the things he went thru would affect the bravest man.

Forscythe:
    Yes. He kept ranting about painting the future or something like this.
    Mars:
    DUN DUN DUN

Forscythe:
    Was quite convinced the apocalypse was coming.
    Unexpected:
    Glancing at the floor of the area, anything that looks like the ink discharge that the book was known for leaking?
    Aegeri:
    Nope

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Painting the future, you say? Curious.

Kagnok:
    Did he himself claim to be able to do this?

Forscythe:
    Yes, I thought it just the rigors of his profession finally getting to him.

Forscythe:
    But when I heard that people were dying in ways sent to them well in advance, I thought maybe he was right.

Forscythe:
    And yes, he claimed he had painted his own death or something once.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    So naturally, you told everyone who would listen. The police, private investigators, and the like.

Forscythe:
    Oh heavens no, everyone would think I had gone mad and they wouldn't believe me anyway.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Didn't seem relevant?

Forscythe:
    I didn't believe him.
    * Vizzini the Magnificent sighs.

Forscythe:
    Those dragons and their prophecy

Forscythe:
    That's one thing

Forscythe:
    Mortals being able to divine the future with paintings? That's novel even to me

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Not really. I am reminded of a parable about a man named Isaac....

Forscythe:
    Oh
    Mr_Rose:
    sorry guys but I think I have to go
    Aegeri:
    !
    Aegeri:
    Oh noes
    Aegeri:
    Why is that/
    Mr_Rose:
    yeah, either i just sign off or I fall asleep on the keyboard
    Aegeri:
    oh lol
    Aegeri:
    Had a bit of a long day?
    Mr_Rose:
    turns out local anaesthetic takes more out of you than you imagine
    Aegeri:
    Ah
    Aegeri:
    What did you have that for?
    Mr_Rose:
    if they have to use three times the normal dose
    Aegeri:
    !!!
    Unexpected:
    wow
    Mr_Rose:
    teeth
    Aegeri:
    :dramaticcat:
    Aegeri:
    Ah
    Aegeri:
    yeah I know how that is
    Aegeri:
    Have a good sleep sir
    Aegeri:
    We'll carry on to hitting things
    Aegeri:
    I shall hit things well in your stead
    Mr_Rose:
    you better!
    Aegeri:
    Anyway
    Aegeri:
    Forscythe is beginning to ramble on now

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Fellow could paint the future, you know. Had a friend with all sorts of crazy powers too. Ended up having his brain eaten. Quite a story, but it really goes downhill after the first book.
    Aegeri:
    Muttering about the war and other things.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Take care Mr Rose
    Terrendos:
    Dangit
    Mars:
    Good night, then, Mr_Rose
    Mr_Rose:
    oh, could someone save the transcript for me too?
    Aegeri:
    Sure

edited September 2009
    You are now all level 3 huzzah!

I do need to know the fates of a couple of magic items though. Who has the Amulet of Mental Resolve and the Broach of No Regrets? For that matter who has the Courtiers Pendant?

:P