As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC - 4E DnD] Artist of Sharn

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Might need to switch to Ardent here. Kalashtar Psionic Leader? Weapon based? Power Points and Augmentable at-wills? Yes please!

Rius on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Okay people! Firstly I apologize for the recent mess things have taken a bit but I am working on resolving the plot and such a bit. Due to all my problems I unfortunately lost track of a few things and I changed things around a bit.

The biggest mistake was I entirely forgot about Dorvin's symbiont! Doh.

Anyway, now you're level 6 here is the symbionts exact powers and such. This overturns anything previously I wrote about it:

Daelkyr Symbiont
    This writhing, ugly worm devours your tongue and then replaces it, sitting in your mouth as naturally as anything else...
    Minor Artifact (It's sell value is special)
    Properties:
    The symbiont allows you to communicate with abberation type creatures that otherwise could not understand you and you can understand deep speech. Creatures that cannot communicate you still cannot understand (So you can't understand what the Boogeyman is gibbering to himself about as an example, but you can communicate with Black Dogs as they can speak deep speech).

You permanently lose a healing surge. This healing surge cannot be got back unless the symbiont is removed.

You gain a +2 bonus to will. Originally this was +1 all nads, but given he's eating your tongue and feeding off you a bonus to fort/reflex didn't make much sense. He's a happy wee fellow though.

You gain the "Whipping tongue" encounter power:

Whipping Tongue: Daelkyr Symbiont encounter attack power
    Unhinging your jaw unnaturally, you strike suddenly at a nearby enemy coating them in noxious acid and momentarily throwing them off balance.
    Encounter : Acid, Arcane, Melee, Implement
    Standard action
    Target: One creature within 2 squares.
    Attack: Constitution vs. Reflex
    Hit: 1d10 + constitution modifier acid damage, and the target takes 5 ongoing acid damage and is dazed (save ends both).

I will have more soon, once I'm finished figuring out precisely how to salvage things and put it back together. If you're wondering what I'm doing, I'm actually combining parts of this game with some plot points from Shipwrecked (which was the Xen'drik campaign). A certain antagonist as well will be appearing in this game now from Shipwrecked too ;)
    Rius wrote:
    Might need to switch to Ardent here. Kalashtar Psionic Leader? Weapon based? Power Points and Augmentable at-wills? Yes please!

I'm not sure how it will work out, but you're welcome to do so if you want to as I'm sort of wanting to see how it works out. I'm still a little unsure about psionics due to the PP system being potentially very abusable, but it's always good to see how something works in practice (not just theory).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TSI|AwesomeTSI|Awesome Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey Mr. Rose, thanks for the macro color change code. I took it and applied it to Geepo.

Well, actually, I didn't use it to change the macro colors. But still, just the same, thanks.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have made decisions about this game.

Sanity:

Sanity is now a stat. It's calculated by adding Wisdom (Will), Intelligence (Scepticism) and Charisma (Your own force of personality) + 25 + 3*level. Sanity is now obvious to you on your character but it is not a displayed characteristic (so if someone hovers over your character, they cannot see your state of mind). This is just so it isn't reminding people all the time. Encountering horrible creatures (truly horrifying creatures that is - sanity damage is extraordinary) or learning things about the nature of how the universe really "works"* reduces your sanity permanently. Sanity damage cannot be recovered in any way once it is inflicted, with the exception of destroying certain creatures or plot events. I'll drop a damage macro onto your characters and when you take sanity damage it will be specifically stated what you need to do with it. This effect begins in this module (Dark Water) and I've decided to ignore previous sanity damage. I felt it unfair not to clue you guys into your characters mental state - hence the change.

*Or one crazy, drooling interpretation of it.

New Properties:

CorpsesEaten has been added to the properties list. I'll let you figure that one out for yourselves.

Properties list used in this game is here:

|CORE|
    Level
    MaxHP
    *@TempHP
    *@HP
    *Damage
    *@Bloodied
    SurgeValue
    SurgePerDay
    *@SurgeRemaining
    *@PP
    *@AC
    *@Fortitude
    *@Reflex
    *@Will
    *@Speed
    *Elevation
    *Notes
    *Immune
    *Resist
    *Vulnerable
    MiscSaveBonus
    MiscAttBonus
    MiscDamBonus
    InitBonus
    HealBonus
    *@AP
    CorpsesEaten
    |EQUIPMENT|
    ArmorCheckPenalty (ACP)
    Weapon1Bonus (WB1)
    Weapon2Bonus (WB2)
    Weapon3Bonus (WB3)
    Weapon1Prof
    Weapon2Prof
    Weapon3Prof
    Weapon1Damage (WD1)
    Weapon2Damage (WD2)
    Weapon3Damage (WD3)
    Weapon1DamBonus
    Weapon2DamBonus
    Weapon3DamBonus
    Weapon1MaxDamage
    Weapon2MaxDamage
    Weapon3MaxDamage
    Weapon1Crit
    Weapon2Crit
    Weapon3Crit
    Implement1Bonus
    Implement2Bonus
    Implement3Bonus
    Implement1DamBonus
    Implement2DamBonus
    Implement3DamBonus
    Implement1Crit
    Implement2Crit
    Implement3Crit
    |ATTRIBUTES|
    Strength (Str)
    Constitution (Con)
    Dexterity (Dex)
    Intelligence (Int)
    Wisdom (Wis)
    Charisma (Cha)
    Sanity
    |SKILLS|
    Acrobatics
    Arcana
    Athletics
    Bluff
    Diplomacy
    Dungeoneering
    Endurance
    Heal
    History
    Insight
    Intimidate
    Nature
    Perception
    Religion
    Stealth
    Streetwise
    Thievery
    |BONUS|
    StrBonus
    ConBonus
    DexBonus
    IntBonus
    WisBonus
    ChaBonus
    LevelBonus
    |Special|
    Strmod
    ConMod
    DexMod
    IntMod
    WisMod
    ChaMod
    LevelMod

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dark Water

The journal, despite being in this completely frozen cavern drips with water and has an incredibly potent smell of sea salt. Few pages have been left undamaged by the water and the ink has out of the paper making it unintelligible. One particular entry catches your eye, addressed to an individal in Stormreach called Wesly Morta....

Where you see [] it indicates the text is unreadable or he's for some reason switched to some weird language you cannot understand.

Wesly,

You have made a grave mistake going back to [strange writing] and what you have bought forth from it should never have seen the light of day again. The [unintelligible] buried that place and [unintelligible] was never meant for mortal kind. It claimed the lives of my men, destroyed my family and has even begun to [unintelligible]. I should have [unintelligible] and if you have what you claim you have destroy it immediately before it [strange writing and unintelligible - it's covered in blood]. Bury any map or picture you have to that forsaken place on the dark continent as even with the travelers curse it wants to be found Wesly - they [unintelligible].

My dearest friend, do not make the same mistake that I did that is even now slowly claiming the life of myself and my family. [unintelligible] come ever closer every night and I fear that the estates dogs [uintelligible].

I sent what I did to you for safekeeping, not so you could use it as you have done my friend. Please stop, do not make the mistakes that I did. There are things in this world that we should never know or meddle with.

Ian Escelle.

Information (for those unfamiliar with Eberron):

Dark Continent refers to Xen'drik - it's a really strange place south of Khorvaire (the main continent, where Sharn is) that was basically obliterated after a war between the native Giant inhabitants and a flight of Dragons.

The Travelers Curse refers to the habit of Xen'drik to change its geography at whim with the terrain becoming very unstable. As an example, two groups set out from Stormreach (a large city on the Northern part of Xen'drik) and head south on the same day, for the same destination. One group encounters little impeding terrain and arrives within a week. The second group on the other hand runs into mountains, bottomless ravines, a desert and a glacier all on the same journey, taking three months. Such is the strange nature of the Travelers Curse in Xen'drik.

I am in a fiddling mood, I must be a fiddler crab and it's fiddling crab season! I updated the properties again, shortening the weapon and similar damage functions (you can use the full text or the shortened if you wish).

|CORE|
    Level
    MaxHP
    *@TempHP
    *@HP
    *Damage
    *@Bloodied
    SurgeValue
    SurgePerDay
    *@SurgeRemaining
    *@PP
    *@AC
    *@Fortitude
    *@Reflex
    *@Will
    *@Speed
    *Elevation
    *Notes
    *Immune
    *Resist
    *Vulnerable
    MiscSaveBonus
    MiscAttBonus
    MiscDamBonus
    InitBonus
    HealBonus
    *@AP
    CorpsesEaten
    |EQUIPMENT|
    ArmorCheckPenalty (ACP)
    Weapon1Bonus (WB1)
    W1B
    Weapon2Bonus (WB2)
    W2B
    Weapon3Bonus (WB3)
    W3B
    Weapon1Prof
    W1P
    Weapon2Prof
    W2P
    Weapon3Prof
    W3P
    Weapon1Damage (WD1)
    WD1
    Weapon2Damage (WD2)
    WD2
    Weapon3Damage (WD3)
    WD3
    Weapon1DamBonus
    W1D
    Weapon2DamBonus
    W2D
    Weapon3DamBonus
    W3D
    Weapon1MaxDamage
    W1MD
    Weapon2MaxDamage
    W2MD
    Weapon3MaxDamage
    W3MD
    Weapon1Crit
    W1C
    Weapon2Crit
    W2C
    Weapon3Crit
    W3C
    Implement1Bonus
    IB1
    Implement2Bonus
    IB2
    Implement3Bonus
    IB3
    Implement1DamBonus
    I1D
    Implement2DamBonus
    I2D
    Implement3DamBonus
    I3D
    Implement1Crit
    I1C
    Implement2Crit
    I2C
    Implement3Crit
    I3C
    |ATTRIBUTES|
    Strength (Str)
    Constitution (Con)
    Dexterity (Dex)
    Intelligence (Int)
    Wisdom (Wis)
    Charisma (Cha)
    Sanity
    |SKILLS|
    Acrobatics
    Arcana
    Athletics
    Bluff
    Diplomacy
    Dungeoneering
    Endurance
    Heal
    History
    Insight
    Intimidate
    Nature
    Perception
    Religion
    Stealth
    Streetwise
    Thievery
    |BONUS|
    StrBonus
    ConBonus
    DexBonus
    IntBonus
    WisBonus
    ChaBonus
    LevelBonus
    |Special|
    Strmod
    ConMod
    DexMod
    IntMod
    WisMod
    ChaMod
    LevelMod

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Heh, cool, I have 1350 Sanity. Where's everyone else check in?

Could someone post the macro button color changing code, or post a link to it/describing how it works?

Rius on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That doesn't sound right. Ah, I know what the problem was, the 3*level is like HP. It should be Int+Cha+Wis+25+(3*level-1). Each level gives you +3 sanity, so at level six you have 15 extra sanity. Sorry for the confusion there.

This is the code Mr Rose made for Color Changing that I use:

[h: ind = getMacroButtonIndex()]
    [h: setMacroProps(ind, "color=Red")]

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    90 Sanity is much less impressive, Aegeri =P

Rius on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    But it does show that all your marbles are still there.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    This is the code Mr Rose made for Color Changing that I use:

[h: ind = getMacroButtonIndex()]
    [h: setMacroProps(ind, "color=Red")]

That's the basic version that changes the macro button's colour when clicked and is great for monsters that aren't expected to survive an encounter; you can use a conditional (if statement or similar) to check the current colour using "getMacroProps" and either execute your macro and change the colour, or just change the colour, which is useful for setting up PC macros that change back when you click on them at the end of an encounter/day or for recharge powers (click the used power and it rolls a die then uses a nested conditional to either change the colour back or not, depending if it recharges or not).

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Unexpected MonkeyUnexpected Monkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    90 Sanity is much less impressive, Aegeri =P

It's much more impressive then Dorvin's 79. :P

Unexpected Monkey on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh yeah, Tavar's got 81 Sanity, screw you Dorvin.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sorry to double post, but is the meeting time at 6:30 EST or was that change to 7PM EST permanent?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    7PM EST was a permanent change.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sorry guys, I can't do this tonight; I gots hella toothache and I just took some painkillers and anti-inflammatory stuff. Even were the pain not blinding enough to make me incoherent, the meds will in about five minutes.
    Once again, sorry.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The Reward for saving someone from a grisly pancake like doom is 200GP. If you needed to use a ritual, they reimburse the costs of the ritual as well.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sharks Tooth Charm +2
    Daily Power: Close burst 3, all creatures within the burst gain the ability to breath water and gain the aquatic keyword until the end of the encounter. If the creature does not have a swim speed, it gains a swim speed equal to its land speed.

Gaming session, due to Christmas we have disruptions! Oh noes! However, I'm happy to play before then. The proposed days are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday (US). I can't play Thursday because Thursday your time is Christmas day in the future sadly. If enough can make one of those days, probably around the same time we'll play then :)

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Gaming session, due to Christmas we have disruptions! Oh noes! However, I'm happy to play before then. The proposed days are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday (US). I can't play Thursday because Thursday your time is Christmas day in the future sadly. If enough can make one of those days, probably around the same time we'll play then :)

Any of the proposed days work for me, but I'd specifically vote for Mon or Tues.

Unexpected Monkey on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tuesday and Wednesday are best for me.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    As it was mentioned, I'm still pondering when to "end" this campaign at the moment and that is certainly a consideration because of Dark Sun. Dark Sun is one of those campaigns in 2E that I never got to run or play in (My character was squished by a boulder as well as the whole party in fact in a session where I wasn't able to come).

Although I have an epic tier planned for this game, a high paragon ending is also appropriate and this leaves the gate open for me to work on and run a Dark Sun campaign. This gives me good time to digest it as well and plan what sort of plot I would like to run as well. I don't really mind either or actually as I write my plots to be flexible enough to end at multiple points.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Wednesday would best for me.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Any of those days is fine with me.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It is looking like, with 4/6 votes thus far that Wednesday may be a winner. That's good for me as it's Thursday my time.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You mean Wednesday at the usual time, don't you? Same way we normally do Friday whilst you sit there in futureland Saturday..

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yep.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So are we all set for this Wednesday at the usual time? I'm quite up for it as I have horrible eldritch horrors to expose you all too. Those sanity scores are looking too comfortable for my liking.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sure, I'm in.

Unexpected Monkey on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    On thinking about it, due to scheduling and it turns out I have family/friends coming down on that day (oh my) I might not be able to make it myself. Given that I'm trying something a bit different from my usual shenannigans as well, I think I'll have to just have the next session at the regular time on the 1st December. That is going to be New Years day though, which may be problematic as well. So possibly a resumption on the 4th/5th January with the regular game session on the 8th January (all US dates, eg not zany future dates).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So are we doing this tonite or what?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I hope not; I changed my plans to something else based on Aegeri's last post ><

Rius on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Nope, there wasn't a game today folks as I got some all important nap time.

Then made some murderous encounters for next session. Plus I'm putting in the sanity mechanics on all of your tokens. Basically things damage your sanity through a shocking, scarring or traumatizing event. The type of sanity damage done is based on how mind bendingly horrible the creature or event is. Sanity is an individual effect however, so instead of a creature doing fixed damage you instead have 3 macros that inflict damage. These automatically take your stats and sometimes a "fudge factor" into consideration, automatically appropriately reducing sanity.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Everyone fine for some New Years Day DnD? I am currently assuming yes and a couple of people have got back to me, but I need to know everyones general plans!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm afraid to say my friend is coming on the 2nd and he's coming right on the middle of the session (oh dear). So I will have to go and pick him up - the foot way! This means that we can only play for an hour or so before I have to go! Oh noes! I was expecting him in the morning, but he's arriving in the afternoon my time and that's when I run the game. So that's been a bit of a surprising change of plan! I'm still intending to play, but 1 hour is really quite short. That will get the first encounter out of the way though, but I can understand if people don't feel that a one hour session will be very fulfilling. It's just unfortunate that he's coming literally in the middle of the session, originally I thought there wouldn't be a problem as he was coming in the morning. Doh.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'd really love to play again before next week to make up some lost time and such. I cannot play Sunday (that's tomorrow) but any other time is fine. Basically if you guys can all agree on a time I'll be there to DM the game, unless it's something a bit ludicrous like 1am my time. That might not be fully agreeable. Let me know if you can find a time and I'll be there.

I have crazy cultists to reveal!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    blarg. Unfortunately, the regular time is literally the only time in the week when I can feasibly play people both twelve hours ahead and six hours behind me that isn't the already-vetoed Saturday night/Sunday morning. Stupid spherical planet.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I can't play on Monday, but any other day works for me.

Unexpected Monkey on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Okay, we'll play at the regular time this weekend and not worry about things.

Unfortunately - well not really unfortunate - I am going to Australia on the 16th January and I won't be back until the 29th. So we won't be able to play the weekend after this one as I will be on an Aeroplane going BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I will not know if we can play on the 29th though because I will probably not be in the mood. I will send a PM when I get back.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Current properties list:

|CORE|
    Level
    MaxHP
    *@TempHP
    *@HP
    *Damage
    *@Bloodied
    SurgeValue
    SurgePerDay
    *@SurgeRemaining
    *@PP
    *@AC
    *@Fortitude
    *@Reflex
    *@Will
    *@Speed
    *Elevation
    *Notes
    *Immune
    *Resist
    *Vulnerable
    MiscSaveBonus
    MiscAttBonus
    MiscDamBonus
    InitBonus
    HealBonus
    *@AP
    CorpsesEaten
    *@Sanity
    Insanity
    |EQUIPMENT|
    ArmorCheckPenalty (ACP)
    Weapon1Bonus (WB1)
    Weapon2Bonus (WB2)
    Weapon3Bonus (WB3)
    Weapon1Prof
    Weapon2Prof
    Weapon3Prof
    Weapon1Damage (WD1)
    Weapon2Damage (WD2)
    Weapon3Damage (WD3)
    Weapon1DamBonus
    Weapon2DamBonus
    Weapon3DamBonus
    Weapon1MaxDamage
    Weapon2MaxDamage
    Weapon3MaxDamage
    Weapon1Crit
    Weapon2Crit
    Weapon3Crit
    Implement1Bonus
    Implement2Bonus
    Implement3Bonus
    Implement1DamBonus
    Implement2DamBonus
    Implement3DamBonus
    Implement1Crit
    Implement2Crit
    Implement3Crit
    |ATTRIBUTES|
    Strength (Str)
    Constitution (Con)
    Dexterity (Dex)
    Intelligence (Int)
    Wisdom (Wis)
    Charisma (Cha)
    Sanity
    |SKILLS|
    Acrobatics
    Arcana
    Athletics
    Bluff
    Diplomacy
    Dungeoneering
    Endurance
    Heal
    History
    Insight
    Intimidate
    Nature
    Perception
    Religion
    Stealth
    Streetwise
    Thievery
    |BONUS|
    StrBonus
    ConBonus
    DexBonus
    IntBonus
    WisBonus
    ChaBonus
    LevelBonus
    |Special|
    DexMod

This is different than the previous one, because I couldn't get the other properties to work. It seemed to upset a few tokens producing billions of errors. So I won't be changing it.

Insanity represents accumulated sanity damage. You cannot reduce this damage except in certain extremely rare cases. At the moment sanity is not a hidden property as I am checking just to see if things work correctly. It will become a hidden property that you can only check by going into your tokens stats.

Sanity is calculated as:

Intelligence + Wisdom + Charisma + ((Level-1)*3) + 25 - Insanity

All of your tokens have the sanity damage macros on them (which work differently to normal damage).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey guys, sorry to say this but there has been some real life drama today with my family and I won't be able to play. My moms health had a bit of a scare today and I will be down at the doctors with her this afternoon.

Sorry about the short notice!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hm. Apparently I no longer have a subscription to this thread...

Mr_Rose on