As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fuck whatever we were playing, let's get ready for some goddamn DARK SUN

• Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If Pavel works out I'm going to use him and Mikko (If he survives)

Burning Organ on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    with Mutants & Masterminds, if a higher level enemy doesn't have bullshit high Impervious Toughness or is insubstantial or something, you can usually take them out with a lucky shot or two.

The players in my M&M campaign are PL 10, and they have taken out PL 15 villains twice (once by trickery, mind you).

He has a submarine with impervious toughness 20 and blast 18 explosion missiles

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    Pavel fucks up impervious toughness.

Thank fucking god.

Burning Organ on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I want to play M&M too.

Org my warforged hobgoblin

Heavy Shield or Craghammer?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Straightzi wrote: »
    with Mutants & Masterminds, if a higher level enemy doesn't have bullshit high Impervious Toughness or is insubstantial or something, you can usually take them out with a lucky shot or two.

The players in my M&M campaign are PL 10, and they have taken out PL 15 villains twice (once by trickery, mind you).

yeah

that shit is bananas

but one of the things i love about M&M is you can actually make NPCs with crazy achilles heels and stuff

one of the NPCs that the PCs fought in my M&M campaign had Impervious Toughness 16... and a Will Save of +2.

guess what happened

Pony on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    also, ahem:

does this ring any bells?

because I have a copy of this fantabulous old game and I'd like to run it on SE in a very fast, loose manner, taking suggestions for all four player characters from anyone, playing out the most interesting/funniest/smartest/dumbest suggestions, photographing them, and then displaying the results from the turn all at once

is this a good idea y/n?

so basically like the X-Com Let's Play?

that sounds like a fucking amazing idea.

like x-com mixed with MSPA, really, only with a board game and a camera because I'm terrible at arting.

now quick, someone recommend me a reasonably-priced digital camera I could pull this off with. Don't really want to spend more than two hundo on it

MrMonroe on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    also, ahem:

because I have a copy of this fantabulous old game and I'd like to run it on SE in a very fast, loose manner, taking suggestions for all four player characters from anyone, playing out the most interesting/funniest/smartest/dumbest suggestions, photographing them, and then displaying the results from the turn all at once

is this a good idea y/n?

like x-com mixed with MSPA, really, only with a board game and a camera because I'm terrible at arting.

now quick, someone recommend me a reasonably-priced digital camera I could pull this off with. Don't really want to spend more than two hundo on it

Nikon has some good cameras at that price range

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited July 2009
    also, ahem:

is this a good idea y/n?

cybershots are pretty cheap

Pony on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MrM you can check gizmodo for tech deals of the day

Usually you'll see some rad cameras for cheap

Zen Vulgarity on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The submarine is kinda intended to never actually fight y'all

More dramatic effect than anything

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009

yeah

that shit is bananas

but one of the things i love about M&M is you can actually make NPCs with crazy achilles heels and stuff

one of the NPCs that the PCs fought in my M&M campaign had Impervious Toughness 16... and a Will Save of +2.

guess what happened

Yeah I do that sometimes. I dunno, I'm in a bad habit of designing villains like I would my own PCs, just evil and more gimmicky, so I give them like 5 base save all around and stuff. Some villains get little weak spots though, because it's almost necessary.

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    the way people can just get one-shotted in M&M is pretty funny.

in a recent game, a big villain (a PL 15 sorcerer) showed up and his first act was to whip out a Rank 18 Disintegrate on one of the party's NPC allies who was PL 10.

rolled his Toughness save and he rolled... 2.

Which was after his Toughness bonus just got destroyed by the disintegrate

so he uh

turned to dust

instantly

made for a really bad-ass entrance for one of the big villains of the campaign.

Pony on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Been playing a nice 3.5 campaign for a while, my Air Savant is about to hit elemental perfection.

I'm really happy with how this character turned out.

Squall on
    edited July 2009
    Ugh I gotta stat out another magic user thanks for reminding me Pony ugh

It's not even that hard

I just hate it for some reason. I always leave those for last when designing adventures.

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    My character has been dying at every single encounter I think.

Burning Organ on
    edited July 2009
    that same villain then got his shit pushed in on the next round, failing a Toughness save by like 10 and getting stunned for a round, and on the subsequent round he died

the PCs busted out hero points and shit to do this, they were pissed

Pony on
    edited July 2009
    I'd really like to give 4e a try, but the people in my group have dropped so much into 3.5 books, they don't want to switch.

Squall on
    edited July 2009
    Mikko has, yeah

There are probably times Mikko should have died, I've just been kinda reluctant to kill off players

Which is silly, because everyone has like five, so

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    I'm gonna up the defense for everything when I get more points.

Burning Organ on
    edited July 2009
    organ answer my question or ill sodomize melding with my big robotic fist

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2009
    Squall wrote: »
    I'd really like to give 4e a try, but the people in my group have dropped so much into 3.5 books, they don't want to switch.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/dndtestdrive

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    I'm gonna up the defense for everything when I get more points.

That'll be soon. Two more sessions or so, and you'll be coming into a good deal of points.

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009

I'll have to check out whatever that is once I get off work, it's blocked here.

Squall on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    M&M is pretty excellent

I rarely get to play it with anyone but it is a system that I [strike]rip-off[/strike] emulate due to my endearing love for it

Also I have never played Dark Heresy but I read through one of the rule books and I think someday I shall have to get a bunch of people around a table in order to remedy this

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited July 2009

I'll have to check out whatever that is once I get off work, it's blocked here.

Definitely do so. It's quick start rules and an adventure, fo free

And if y'all want to make your own characters I believe you can get the first three levels in the character builder fo free as well, so

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    M&M is pretty excellent

I rarely get to play it with anyone but it is a system that I [strike]rip-off[/strike] emulate due to my endearing love for it

Also I have never played Dark Heresy but I read through one of the rule books and I think someday I shall have to get a bunch of people around a table in order to remedy this

dark heresy is one of the most ruthlessly lethal game systems i have ever played

it encourages thinking creatively and investigating things fully and generally avoiding picking needless fights

because you could die at any time from any attack in a horrific fashion

Pony on
    edited July 2009
    M&M is pretty excellent

dark heresy is one of the most ruthlessly lethal game systems i have ever played

it encourages thinking creatively and investigating things fully and generally avoiding picking needless fights

So long as the character creation system is quick enough and your players ain't whiny bitches about it, that's a good thing

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    M&M is pretty excellent

So long as the character creation system is quick enough and your players ain't whiny bitches about it, that's a good thing

See that's the thing, that's exactly the sort of ruthless system that appeals to me but I highly doubt I'd be able to find non-whiny bitches to play it with

It's so unfair

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited July 2009
    by default Dark Heresy's entire character creation system is done by percentile rolls, including your backstory and appearance and stuff

i'm not a fan of this, personally

but i guess when you gotta mill out characters quick because your dudes keep dying it's handy

Pony on
    edited July 2009
    M&M is pretty excellent

See that's the thing, that's exactly the sort of ruthless system that appeals to me but I highly doubt I'd be able to find non-whiny bitches to play it with

It's so unfair

Yo

I'll play, whinerface

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2009
    Yeah there are players in my regular group who like, take it personally when their character gets singled out and attacked by the enemy

Meanwhile the DM kills my characters every couple of sessions just for the fun of it

Straightzi on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah there are players in my regular group who like, take it personally when their character gets singled out and attacked by the enemy

Meanwhile the DM kills my characters every couple of sessions just for the fun of it

See, my problem is that I'm an incredibly manic player. Going from my speed to a full stop is tragic for me.

We're all lucky I learned some restraint in my adult life.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited July 2009

Very few people will DM with me anymore because they think I'm too murder-happy

No, I just punish stupid decisions and why doesn't anybody love me ablooooo

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    can't make a new thread to ask, so I'll ask here:

how about this Nikon model? Amazon link is more descriptive I guess.

MrMonroe on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    can't make a new thread to ask, so I'll ask here:

how about this Nikon model? Amazon link is more descriptive I guess.

totally coulda put that in the computer thread

but uh, it looks like a decent point-n-shoot

Abracadaniel on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    straights, since you're linking forum games and stuff.

are people still interested in star wars saga edition?

i've been running a play-by-post over in critical failures for... almost two years now.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited July 2009
    organ answer my question or ill sodomize melding with my big robotic fist

Ahh, what question?

Burning Organ on
  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Woo! Ran a session last night for the first time in almost a year.

It went pretty well. The PCs were tasked with burying the body of a halfling whose family owed a local magistrate a bunch of money. They brought the body safely through a group of hired thugs, figured out how to open the tomb door, and fought off the undead guards of the crypt. Now they have a mysterious job offer from another halfling who wants to move out of sight of the local governor, all while one of my PCs has shown great interest in selling everyone else out to the gubbmint.

The only big issue we had was that our striker, a barbarian, took the brunt of everything. He was almost killed twice, and spent most of the encounters hovering just above unconsciousness. This wouldn't be a problem, except that everyone else felt like they weren't in danger in comparison. Suggestions?

On the bright side, our warlord loved using commander strike to turn the barbarian into a constantly damage-dealing engine of destruction.

Fire Truck on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A couple weeks back we just finished a 6-month Dark Heresy campaign at the local game store (run by Dark Primus of SE++ fame), without a single death in ~15 sessions. Nobody even lost so much as a limb or gained a permanent scar; we had one PC burn a fate point to not die in the climactic fight with a bound daemon, but that's it.

So balancing the fine line of survivable challenges can be done, which is nice, but next time I'd like to go the simulationist route and have a old-fashioned 'solve this with your own strategy or die trying' conflict.
    by default Dark Heresy's entire character creation system is done by percentile rolls, including your backstory and appearance and stuff

i'm not a fan of this, personally

but i guess when you gotta mill out characters quick because your dudes keep dying it's handy

Dark Heresy features a lof of 'sping-board roleplay', which helps people not so familiar with the setting's details and mood get into the game and generate a characterization. I like the charts for physical appearance and upbringing useful; I find these kinds of details usually too indulgent to think over; they just don't impact my initial character concept. Having them generated gives me some surprises to work around.

Traveler had something similar but with a huge focus on the player's education and accumulated skills and wealth.

Like, normally I haven't a slightest interest in the Traveller setting as a whole. It can't so much as get a shrug or a raised eyebrow out of me.

But hearing the kinds of backgrounds you can end up with actually catches my attention. It can give you a lot of good material to work with right off the bat.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Woo! Ran a session last night for the first time in almost a year.

It went pretty well. The PCs were tasked with burying the body of a halfling whose family owed a local magistrate a bunch of money. They brought the body safely through a group of hired thugs, figured out how to open the tomb door, and fought off the undead guards of the crypt. Now they have a mysterious job offer from another halfling who wants to move out of sight of the local governor, all while one of my PCs has shown great interest in selling everyone else out to the gubbmint.

The only big issue we had was that our striker, a barbarian, took the brunt of everything. He was almost killed twice, and spent most of the encounters hovering just above unconsciousness. This wouldn't be a problem, except that everyone else felt like they weren't in danger in comparison. Suggestions?

On the bright side, our warlord loved using commander strike to turn the barbarian into a constantly damage-dealing engine of destruction.

Do you have a defender? If so, figure out why enemies weren't incentivised to beat on him, if not, your melee strikers are pretty much going to have to take the brunt of things. Generally speaking though, your melee strikers are going to get hit a bit, but the defenders should be absorbing as many attacks as they can.

Kane Red Robe on
This discussion has been closed.