As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fuck whatever we were playing, let's get ready for some goddamn DARK SUN

• BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gibbous the Sort-of-Obscured

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    He fell down a well and died.

Not everyone gets to die staving off a demon horde.

Probad on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dedicated ghost companion sort of thing

It can get killed but you rematerialize it like instantly

Straightzi on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Probad wrote: »

Yeah. Rolled a 1 on my climb check, my jump check and my "don't land on your fucking head" check. Three in a row. The DM was trying to work with me, but after the third we just gave up.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    I really don't like regular names in D&D

I think it's frightfully uncreative

even from a tongue-in-cheek humor perspective

there are much better ways to be funny with a name

I'm not going for humorous very often in my D&D games

I mean okay whenever I play a ranger he likes puns a lot

But generally I make my characters pretty seriously

In which case Elbrofuk is much more humorous than James

james is not the same as jim

robert is not the same as bob

william is not the same as bill

this seems like something I shouldn't have to explain

Wait why is it you have to explain this now anyways?

I generally go for regular names in the older senses of them, so less nicknamey I guess

Is that not what you have a problem with?

I guess I should have made it clear from the start that I was talking about shit like jim and bob and bill and frank and ralph

shit that is really modern-sounding

james? fine

basically if it sounds like something a member of the British royal family might be named, it's probably fine

Shorty on
    edited July 2009

Yeah. Rolled a 1 on my climb check, my jump check and my "don't land on your fucking head" check. Three in a row. The DM was trying to work with me, but after the third we just gave up.

Obviously it was meant to be.

Probad on
    edited July 2009
    can anyone explain how implements (my totems) work? i read somewhere online that i can't use a longspear and also my implements?

how do i get them also, is there a part in the book that explains them that i missed?

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited July 2009
    Implements are just like any other item you would acquire, basically weapons for casters. You can't use a longspear and a totem because you have to hold the totem in one hand, and you need two for the longspear, and you're racking up a lot of hands real quick here.

Probad on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dedicated ghost companion sort of thing

It can get killed but you rematerialize it like instantly
    That's pretty sweet, not going to lie.

Cilla Black on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have no normal naming practise for anything but Warforged. Most things I kinda combine parts of other names or look up random names of people until i find one that sticks for a while.

With Warforged their names often have to do with why they are built. Gives me names like Fordebate Purposes and Forproof Ofconcept.

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    gotcha, i'll have to choose a different weapon then, i had completely forgotten that i will use an implement until a little bit ago

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I ran a DMPC for a while in one of my best campaigns. An awesome little halfing rogue named 'Daggers.' He had a thing about knives, thanks to the Arms and Equipment Guide in 3e. Wrist sheaths on both wrists, Booth sheaths on both legs, and a Knife Vest. Comfortable carried about a baker's dozen magically enchanted daggers, and you can bet he had Quick Draw. He was always a Mary Sue sort of character to some extent. Never enough to overshadow the actual PCs, but since I was describing his actions he'd always pull off crazy acrobatic stunts when doing attacks. Eventually the PCs find out his real name is Edrin Starnharp, and made fun of him mercilessly thereafter.

One PC in that campaign became a Gondsmith, a PrC for clerics of Gond. You get to build your own animated mechanical cohort, which he then modeled after our Half-Orc Fighter.

Man I wish I could run a game again :(

Abracadaniel on
    edited July 2009
    Non magical implements are basically useless outside of flavour, so, you don't have to worry about it until you get a magical one.

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, implements have to have a magical modifier to give a bonus to your casting right? Like a totem with a +1 ability gives you +1 to power rolls or some such?

Cilla Black on
    edited July 2009
    +1 to attack and damage rolls on powers with the Implement keyword.

Probad on
    edited July 2009
    some of my junk says i need an implement to use them, such as protecting strike, and spirit's shield... actually most of them, see

my current at-will/encounter/daily attacks

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited July 2009
    Also the best thing about the Character Builder is that it includes all kinds of various tedious shit you might forget when using your powers on the Power Cards.

Abracadaniel on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i got an implement to use in your junk

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited July 2009
    So, have they come up with an At-Will cooler than Prestidigitation yet? I'm betting not.

Cilla Black on
    edited July 2009
    gross

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited July 2009
    So, have they come up with an At-Will cooler than Prestidigitation yet? I'm betting not.

There's a set of gloves from the Adventurer's Vault that allow you to use Mage Hand and Prestidigitation. I think I'd want them for any and every character I ever built.

Abracadaniel on
    edited July 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »

There's a set of gloves from the Adventurer's Vault that allow you to use Mage Hand and Prestidigitation. I think I'd want them for any and every character I ever built.
    Hell yes, that's fantastic. That one 3e wondrous item that let you use mage hand was a must-have for all my non-magical characters.

Cilla Black on
    edited July 2009
    Man, I am reading Races of Eberron, there is some awesome shit in here.

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    On my first game ever we ran through The Sunless Citadel. At the fountain that gives you firebreath I cast my Tenser's Floating Disk and filled it up so we could run around like flamethrowers for half of the dungeon.

I'd also use it to travel since I was a Gnome and was light as fuck.

Abracadaniel on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So we just stopped the second coming of Jesus through the power of Rock

Moriveth on
    edited July 2009
    I took the bear rug from the first delve of Dungeon Delve and made a cloak out of it. This is why Orik is a good DM, the shit he lets us get away with when we aren't being complete jerks.

Melding on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So for my warden's second feat, I am probably going to give him the thing that gives him a +7 to initiative (it is a Deva) and it already has Wildblood Cunning.

The thing is, even though historically, multiclassing has been more hit than miss. But I think some of the other classes have some really cool shit I would not mind taking advantage of. How terrible would it be to take the shaman feat that lets you call an animal companion or uh. One of the other multiclass feats.

It does suck that it turns at-wills into encounters and encounters into dailies though.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited July 2009
    It only really turns at wills into encounters, and even then you don't give up an encounter slot for it.

Melding on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I believe psions get at will group telepathy

Which is pretty cool

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    Psions seem pretty neat in general. I like the idea of not having encounter powers and instead being able to liberally buff your At-Wills as needed quite a lot.

Cilla Black on
  • guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Implements are just like any other item you would acquire, basically weapons for casters. You can't use a longspear and a totem because you have to hold the totem in one hand, and you need two for the longspear, and you're racking up a lot of hands real quick here.

I know a lot of DMs that would allow you to use both, you can just say you grab your implement with one hand while holding your two-handed weapon in your off-hand until you complete the spell. The implement can be on your belt or something in the meantime. As long as you didn't try to use both in the same turn or something, I don't see a problem with this.

but your DM's mileage may vary

gurusloth on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would just tie a bunch of stuff to my longspear and make it my totem, but there is probably something wrong with that, so I'm going to shut up on that matter.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited July 2009
    my dm is pretty chill, i'll bring it up with him, thanks guru.

first thing i'm doing when we finish our first adventure is buying a magic totem

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited July 2009
    I meant to ask Orik about using a spear as the staff implement "Spears are just staffs with a pointed end, right?" but then didn't and ended up going daggers on my sorcerer. Oh well.

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    I would just tie a bunch of stuff to my longspear and make it my totem, but there is probably something wrong with that, so I'm going to shut up on that matter.

I've been considering doing this with my shaman actually

Except he wields a scythe, for the thematic value

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    i think longspears are neat and versatile, i used to be big into scythes, but i suppose i grew out of that

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited July 2009
    Scythes always struck me as rather clunky weapons. Like, people are probably going to look at you funny if you wander around with a big ass scythe strapped to your back. Moreso than a spear at least.

Probad on
    edited July 2009
    The scythe is appropriate for the character

He's going along with another character, who is the daughter of the leader of their tribe, and is supposed to be serving as her guard and spiritual guidance (she's playing a druid). Also her cook. He's a phenomenal cook.

Accordingly, he has a fucked up spiritual world view and is pretty dismal himself. He also intends to do things like cut the hearts of her courageous enemies out and feed them to her without her knowledge.

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    Also he's a Shaman, he's very much not a melee fighter

He has a crocodile for that

Straightzi on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I still like scythes, but really anything hooked and stylistically capable of pulling people around or tripping I find neat. Zasalamel was some major fun times in Soul Calibur.

Marshmallow on
This discussion has been closed.