As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night and [PHOTO] Every Day

• Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    4497437196_752d440b1a.jpg
    Aahhh, there's the bliss. I actually wasn't as wild about the ones against pure black, earlier, but I'm bad and usually don't post criticism.

Love this one. I sort of wish the darker upper-right continued into lower-right, so it'd be a sort of fade-wipe dealio. Nice wallpaper for spring. I can never pin down exactly what makes your macros so great (aside from a lot of thought and offort, obviously). In this case, it's the perfect DoF on the flower, as usual, but also that the bokeh is color coordinated.

If I had to choose a hallmark of yours, it's that your backgrounds, subtle or pronounced, are as important to the shot as your foregrounds.

Edit: that's probably why I didn't like the ones against black. They lack that pope touch (er, current events pun not intended) without a background!

gilrain on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would like to say, for the record ... it's freakin' tough to get a photo of a flower when the wind is insanely gusty! Add to that the fact that getting closer via macro exaggerates the flower's motion (due to the magnification). I am astounded that that flower shot had any bit in focus. I consider myself quite lucky!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pope how is the 365 thing going for you? Learned anything from it yet?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The biggest things that it's done for me are:
    1. helping with my ability to follow something through (ie - taking pics even when I dont feel like it - I am gaining some personal discipline out of this)
    2. helping me stay connected to taking pictures (I had long slumps previously, but the practice of taking pictures every day inspires me much more frequently to spend a little time and try to take a 'good' picture - so I am taking way way more pictures these days), and then
    3. I feel like my eye is improving some - I feel like the average quality of my average shots is somewhat higher.

I haven't focused as much on my two goals yet (my goals were to work on B&W in general and also to work on subtleties in color ala Eggleston). The year's ~25% over (and I haven't missed a single day so far!) so I feel like I have plenty of time to work on these specific goals.

I think this is a practice I am going to keep up for a long while, yet.

The other impact I am noticing is how much happier I am taking pictures of flowers than just about anything else. I would love to think of myself as a well-rounded photographer, subject-wise. But I think the truth is that I have pretty specific interests. I guess knowing that and owning it is good.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Puppies, babies, ... and cars?

4498547019_dc2ccaaeb2.jpg

4499182766_0ea1c8955d.jpg

Pope - I'm glad it's working for you. I can't really force myself into an everyday thing, but I do try to do at least one planned shoot / idea a week. It helps a lot, like you said, to stay fresh, creative, and keep the eye sharp.

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    NeedO - in the first pic I feel like the wall behind the car is too busy. The second one is much more to my liking.

OMG This is so saccharine!

4501130966_7044fc2569.jpg
    for a larger copy, click image to go to its flickr page then click "all sizes"

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Something a little different (taken for a project in a flickr group):

4501302755_8636d8c255.jpg
    for a larger copy, click image to go to its flickr page then click "all sizes"

erisian pope on
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pope: creamy :D your macro work is still unsurpassed on these boards

Some 35mm stuff I don't think I've shared before:
    2jamesharrisphotocom.jpg

3jamesharrisphotocom.jpg

1jamesharrisphotocom.jpg

P.S anyone had any experience with the Nikon 20mm f/2.8 prime? Looking for a decent, wide, full frame lens with an aperture ring.

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Pope, I LOVE that. It's fantastic.

tynic on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    eeeyyy, i just got visited by my little buddies

lori2.jpg

lori1.jpg

if only they would hang around so i could do them justice

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    needOptic wrote: »
    Puppies, babies, ... and cars?

4498547019_dc2ccaaeb2.jpg[img][/img]

4499182766_0ea1c8955d.jpg[img][/img]

Pope - I'm glad it's working for you. I can't really force myself into an everyday thing, but I do try to do at least one planned shoot / idea a week. It helps a lot, like you said, to stay fresh, creative, and keep the eye sharp.

Actually I'm not adverse to car pictures as much as the other categories because its not done as often or as horribly as the other categories. The first picture looks pretty good with the shapes/color in the background, and I like the psing done to make the foreground darker. The second one isn't that interesting just seeing a corner of the hood.

As for the 365 project, I've always thought about doing it but I just don't think I could find enough things I like to shoot. I certainly can't do studio like shoots with people or political photography every day.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    JAmp5 wrote: »

2jamesharrisphotocom.jpg

3jamesharrisphotocom.jpg

1jamesharrisphotocom.jpg

P.S anyone had any experience with the Nikon 20mm f/2.8 prime? Looking for a decent, wide, full frame lens with an aperture ring.
    i just picked up the 20mm f/2.8. Haven't really had time to put it through its paces since i just had shoulder surgery. on a compact sensor it is a nice angle, wide but not distorted. plus i scored mine for 310 essentially brand new with a UV filter

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    JAmp5 wrote: »

2jamesharrisphotocom.jpg

3jamesharrisphotocom.jpg

1jamesharrisphotocom.jpg

I bought this so I wouldn't have to carry one of my wide-zooms on hikes. It's great for having a lightweight option, I like the color rendition and the angle is very wide.

However the vignetting at wide apertures is pretty apparent, which can be an issue, but I actually consider it a feature that can be pretty darn useful in isolating a subject when even the DoF at f/2.8 is still pretty wide.

Other than that you might have focusing issues. Mine is dialed in all the way at -20 on the fine tune on my D700. Focus is pretty solid on my F100.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Actually I'm not adverse to car pictures as much as the other categories because its not done as often or as horribly as the other categories. The first picture looks pretty good with the shapes/color in the background, and I like the psing done to make the foreground darker. The second one isn't that interesting just seeing a corner of the hood.

As for the 365 project, I've always thought about doing it but I just don't think I could find enough things I like to shoot. I certainly can't do studio like shoots with people or political photography every day.

Thanks. You should check out "Tao of Photography". A very good book which challenges the principles of why you shoot and how you shoot. I really liked it and it certainly makes a lot of sense. Basically they guide you how to see beyond the simple things you like and expand your appreciation and vision of life. Pretty good book.

51SdnhwRCxL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I like that polaroid.

A couple from last night - doing a similar thing to pope; just trying to find interesting elements in everyday life.

4504060291_db132b28c3.jpg

4504693892_24377d7864.jpg

4504060605_a5fa53108e.jpg

4504694516_ab078f322d.jpg

needOptic on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BMW, Burberry, Elie Tahari... honestly, if you didn't take good photos, you'd need a major swirly or something. ;P

I like the first photo a lot. The others have nice colors, but look like one-off practice studies. And they were, so that's cool. The first stands on its own, IMO.

Edit: Actually, the last is growing on me a lot. As a product shot, it really works. Love that incomplete diagonal and unexpected-shadow-in-a-largely-2D-image. DAMN YOU!

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    gilrain wrote: »
    BMW, Burberry, Elie Tahari... honestly, if you didn't take good photos, you'd need a major swirly or something. ;P

I like the first photo a lot. The others have nice colors, but look like one-off practice studies. And they were, so that's cool. The first stands on its own, IMO.

Edit: Actually, the last is growing on me a lot. As a product shot, it really works. Love that incomplete diagonal and unexpected-shadow-in-a-largely-2D-image. DAMN YOU!

Bwah, I actually thought that when I was taking the pictures... "man, all these things are littered with fucking labels... I'm a label whore, aren't I? Fuck.".
    Thanks for the crits. ;)

EDIT: now I know why... the BMW is my thing, but the jeans / perfume is shit my wife buys me. And ... well, she's a girl and she's all into ... that.

Edit2: this is it, last one from the seried. :(
    4503951583_71281b261f.jpg

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Thanks. You should check out "Tao of Photography". A very good book which challenges the principles of why you shoot and how you shoot. I really liked it and it certainly makes a lot of sense. Basically they guide you how to see beyond the simple things you like and expand your appreciation and vision of life. Pretty good book.

51SdnhwRCxL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg[img][/img]

I like that polaroid.

A couple from last night - doing a similar thing to pope; just trying to find interesting elements in everyday life.

4504060291_db132b28c3.jpg[img][/img]

4504693892_24377d7864.jpg[img][/img]

4504060605_a5fa53108e.jpg

4504694516_ab078f322d.jpg[img][/img]

This one is pretty damn sweet. It has quite a bit of depth to it in terms of color, texture, lighting, and DOF compared to the others. I just wish you hadn't cropped the belt on the left side of the frame. What was the light setup for it?

My guess: bare strobe from the lower right with something diffused off to the left.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This one is pretty damn sweet. It has quite a bit of depth to it in terms of color, texture, lighting, and DOF compared to the others. I just wish you hadn't cropped the belt on the left side of the frame. What was the light setup for it?

My guess: bare strobe from the lower right with something diffused off to the left.

Thanks, I'll try to see if I can update with an uncropped version... I have the original.

Two rim lights - one from 8 o'clock, another from 4 o'clock, and an umbrella above at low power for fill. I really need a macro lens... This 17-40L is ok for larger objects but I'm screwed beyond this type of distance.

needOptic on
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sorry ahead of time if this is the wrong place to ask but I figure you guys are the experts. I'm looking to purchase a new camera and I'm thinking of getting an SLR.

I was a DP back in film school and I've always loved photography but I've never really had the money to drop on a nice camera. And, well, now I do so I'd like to get back into it a little more seriously. Any help is appreciated.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Now I want to go get a proper macro lens.

On the subject of lens acquisition, though...

I'm trying to decide which vintage Olympus Zuiko prime to get for my E-520 for some old-school manual-focusing action. I'm down to either the more common 50mm f/1.8, or the slightly less common 50mm f/1.4.

I'm mostly looking for depth-of-field here, making the 1.4 the obvious choice, but would the 1.8 still be more versatile?

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    Earl MadnessEarl Madness Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Had to take a trip back from school for Winter Break via plane, (didn't mind it really, shorter time) and I always try and get some shots out the window when I do. "Course don't have much time to focus but I got lucky with sun in NYC before we landed

LeavinTown.jpg

Earl Madness on
    Look man, we're just gonna burn alot of time talking about alot of shit.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    anyone have any recomendations for an every day camera bag? was looking at the lowepro slingshot but wanted to see what people are liking. my kit is a d70, 20mm, 50mm and a 70-210 with a couple filters. Might add a flash at some point.

i have a small lowepro that is great but it only holds the body and one of my two primes.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Thanks, I'll try to see if I can update with an uncropped version... I have the original.

Two rim lights - one from 8 o'clock, another from 4 o'clock, and an umbrella above at low power for fill. I really need a macro lens... This 17-40L is ok for larger objects but I'm screwed beyond this type of distance.

I would think you could do some good shots of stuff like that with a 50 or 85.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The 85mm has a completely retarded 1 meter focusing distance. The 50mm is only slightly better. :-/
    The 17-40 is actually the lens that I can bring the "closest" in terms of macro work.

I might pick up those extension tubes and use them with my 50mm for macro.

EDIT: MTS - I have had 2 lowepro bags. One was the camera + 2 lenses and I liked it since it was very light. The current one holds camera and has 3x3 lens pouches on sides. While it fits a great deal inside, it does become very heavy at that point and the strip hurts my back.

I think next time I'm going to rock a proper backpack because it's just more comfy for tourism / large trips.

needOptic on
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks guys! I'll drop some $$ on that 20mm, vignetting I can deal with (I normally add it anyway, it's like the make-picture-better slider :P)

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I use a Domke - one of the black canvas "stealth" bags. It looks like a laptop bag or a messenger bag. I absolutely love it.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    pope

which bag do you use? they all look huge

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have this bag, which was recommended through PA. Not sure if it was this thread or one of the technology threads.

http://www.sigelectronics.com/Electronics/Accessories_2/Large-Versa-Bag-Red

It's a crumpler clone, and it's the perfect size for carrying a fair amount of stuff without having so much space that you feel like it's half empty. There are some pictures around, but I'll take some here in a sec.

edit: actually that price is only for Canada -- it's $19.99 plus $10 shipping for anywhere in the US, so it's a very, very nice bag for $30. It has a bunch of inserts (see below) that let you customize the inside to match your stuff. I currently have it set up for a flash (sb-600), d70 with or without lens, 3 lenses, and then filters, batteries, other junk in the pockets. You could layer some primes too, especially if you have other bags or use the inserts w/ the flaps on top. The inserts are foam padded so they provide good protection as well.

spoilerd for hueg:
    bag1.jpg
    bag2.jpg
    bag3.jpg
    bag4.jpg

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mts - I had to Google it. It's the Domke F-803. It's really not huge. It holds my Canon 20D with the 50mm lens attached and then has room on either side for one regular-sized lens (like a zoom; I have my Sigma 105 and my Canon 55-250). Fully loaded mine is 13 inches (~33cm) wide by 10 inches (~25.5cm) tall by 5 inches (~12.75cm) deep.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    nO, if you're up for it and if you think it's a good idea as well, i'd like to see the burberry touch with a hand softly 'touch'ing it. probably your gf's hand for some daintiness (unless i'm wrong to assume you dont have pretty hands). I'm just picturing an advertisement style photo.

benz0rs on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So I tried the whole "strobe behind a bedsheet" thing today. You can read the setup on flickr, but here's the result. Oranges/tangerines photographed separately and then chopped in.

4508673239_92113a583f.jpg

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    NeedO - that came out really well! The vividness is intense!

Tracie and I took a daytrip to Fredericksburg, TX today. Here are a couple pics.

Crab Spider
    4509347633_b4ae63fcc9.jpg

4509381753_cba93eca34.jpg

Click a pic to go to its flickr page and get to a larger size. The icecream is even better when viewed large.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    love the icecream photo! did you just stumble on it like that?

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That spider is all dressed up in white, like "hey man, I'm totally in style for spring".
    Edit: the ice cream photo is surreal, the only thing that would make it stronger is for the cone to be not as destroyed. It actually took me a while to figure out what the picture was.

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    NeedO - I agree. I wish the cone were more recognizable.

bsjezz - yep, that's exactly how it was when I saw it. My wife thought I was nuts when I pulled out my camera. She probably still does. :-)

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    no no i love the smashed cone. it helps tell the story of a child's ruined treat.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey guys, I had a few questions regarding camera selection and Communist Cow suggested I ask my questions here. I wanted to get into photography, probably starting with things and not people. I also wanted to eventually get into astrophotography. I'm a beginner with amateur astronomy and I'd like to pair my interest in astronomy with my interest in photography.

I was looking at the Canon XSi and the Canon T1i. The two cameras look pretty similar, I've come to the conclusion that as far as shooting is concerned I'd get pretty similar results. The T1i has some extra features and of course it has the HD video shooting. I wanted to know if my assessment was accurate or not. Is there a reason to get the T1i over the XSi considering the price?

This camera is something that I'd be using for quite awhile, years, before I upgraded so I want something that will keep me happy for that long. I figure that if I got an XSi I could spend the extra cash on lenses and other accessories but if the T1i would last longer before I began to feel the need to upgrade I would be willing to part with the extra cash.

I'm also interested in any book recommendations. I'm interested in taking classes at my community college but I really like learning from books too. I've looked into Understanding Exposure but it seems to be more of an intermediate's guide rather than something for beginners. Maybe The Camera by Ansel Adams is a better idea?

If anybody could impart some knowledge to get me started I'd be real grateful. I've been lurking in this thread for a few months now and a lot of the stuff that's shown here is really inspiring and I'd like to join you! Thanks.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Another day another setup... saw an old rerun of Miami Vice earlier on.

4512320627_dac632f701.jpg

needOptic on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    nO, it's crazy to see how far your strobe skills have come in a relatively short period of time. Great stuff.

anable on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I guess some of you would be interested to know that I now have a (one, 1, singular) tearsheet from Nifty magazine. It's kinda cool. Wish it were for a real magazine, but I'll take what I can get.

Sheri on
This discussion has been closed.