As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Civilization style games?

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Modain wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    What about those Anno #### games?

I was thinking about picking up the latest one for the DS.

I played some Anno 1404 on PC. I don't think it's really civ-like. I would compare it more to the Caesar or Settlers games where you build once city and take care of the inhabitants there, managing various production chains and resources. If you liked those type of games, there is a PC demo for Anno 1404 on steam. I don't know much about the DS version, but if its anything like the PC it should be enjoyable. Its nothing revolutionary, especially if you have played the previous Anno games, but if you haven't I recommend them.

Yeah, I would compare it more to SimCity / CityLife than Civ.

freakish light on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Um, would Battle for Wesnoth count? It's smaller scale, not really empire building per se, but it's turn based combat and its open source.

theSquid on
  • Options
    DeadLiarDeadLiar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oddment wrote: »
    I think Gal Civ 2 is cheaper to buy physically... I can find it for about £15. I shall be looking into that on pay day aswell!

As far as that goes,Correct me if I'm Wrong, I think that Gal Civ 2 has some Expansion Packs which more or less are Online Download only?
    theSquid wrote:
    Um, would Battle for Wesnoth count? It's smaller scale, not really empire building per se, but it's turn based combat and its open source.

Not quite, Civilization allows you to win games through Diplomacy, Extermination, or reaching Alpha Centauri.

Battle of Wesnoth is more so you can only win by killing all whom oppose you.

DeadLiar on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow, it's like £3 on Amazon now. Awesome. I think I'll be getting that come payday.

So, can someone give me some more info on Galactic Civilizations 2? I did a bit of reading around and it sounds great. There's an Ultimate Edition out with all expansions, I assume thats the one I should get. Anyone know of somewhere cheap to get it in the UK? Any cool stories about the game, or just some explinations as to how it plays would be cool. :)

Think of the planets like Civ4 cities - they give you your income, and they take up spending as well. You can increase the maximum size of the planet population with farms, but you also have to keep your citizens happy, which becomes exponentially more difficult the higher the population is. (And entertainment centres take up an extra square) So you build your economy based planets, with economy buildings and population, your manufacturing motherfuckers which pump ships out of their starbase every two turns, and you build your research planets. That's pretty much the home game.

In between the home and front games is trade, and starbases. You have "borders", but they're not so much borders as areas of influence, but it's essentially the same concept as in Civ4 - you can basically win planets over through culture wars. That being said, you get three kinds of starbases to build (in your influence I believe, but I could be mistaken) - military (gives attack bonuses to ships in range), economy (that you build along your trade routes and adjacent to planets to boost income) and influence (that simply boost your influence). You also play the diplomacy game, and through that, the trade game (and war!) Trade routes, again, much like Civ4, except the routes themselves are in very straight lines...

War involves you building fleets and sending them out to motherfuck other fleets. Then you get to see a pretty battle play out on screen, until finally, you send transport ships in to dump your army on their planets. There's three kinds of weaponry you can use, and a kind of armor to counter each kind of weapon. Maneuverability comes into play on the tactical side of things, but really it tends to come down to having a better ship design, and the economy to reliably pump out your ships of choice. You can design your own ships, and you will have fun doing it.

I like GalCiv2. I think it is fun to play. Play GalCiv2! Yaaaaaaay.

theSquid on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Medieval 2 Total War might be one of the best Strategy games I've ever played next to Civ4.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    jahsoldierjahsoldier Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm also downloading the demo for Empire: Total War on the back of all the spaff for it in this thread. Pre-emptive thanks :)

I bought Alpha Centauri for a fiver yonks ago but I still can't figure out how to play it, even though I'm pretty familiar with Civ 4.

jahsoldier on
  • Options
    jahsoldierjahsoldier Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Demo freezes up on the first screen (just sticks on the very first opening credits bit with the logo) - anyone else have this issue? Probably doesn't matter cos I think I'm gonna buy the durn thing today anyway

jahsoldier on
  • Options
    lgblgb Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I get the feeling I'm going to get hit for this, but FreeCiv?

lgb on
    mmuo.gif
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited July 2009
    I saw Alpha Centauri with Alien Crossfire in GAME yesterday, for £5. It was calling to me. I think I might buy it.

bongi on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009

I played some Anno 1404 on PC. I don't think it's really civ-like. I would compare it more to the Caesar or Settlers games where you build once city and take care of the inhabitants there, managing various production chains and resources. If you liked those type of games, there is a PC demo for Anno 1404 on steam. I don't know much about the DS version, but if its anything like the PC it should be enjoyable. Its nothing revolutionary, especially if you have played the previous Anno games, but if you haven't I recommend them.

Still sounds right up my ally!

Thanks.

Sheep on
  • Options
    oddmentoddment Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Not in the 4X genre per se I guess, but what is the newest Settler's game like? I've seen it in the shops a few times, and it looked interesting.

EDIT: Also, Anno 1404 looks to be in a similar vain and was mentioned earlier. How is that?

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Medieval 2 Total War might be one of the best Strategy games I've ever played next to Civ4.

Agreed. There are a lot of kickass mods for it too. Like making every turn only last a half year instead of two and alot of balancing mods. The combat can get a bit repetitious if you're being sieged alot but still fun thinning out a superior army with your wall cannons and archers and than routing them when they dare step past your walls.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Thanks.

And the game is insanely awesome. Best city building game in a long, long time.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009

Thanks.

That says more about the competition though, I'm afraid.

Opium on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    lgb wrote: »
    I get the feeling I'm going to get hit for this, but FreeCiv?

FreeCiv is fantastic for what it is (I've got it installed on my work computer, I played the hell out of it yesterday while the forums were down) but lets face it, its not Civ4. Civ4 + xps really open up the world, allowing you control over a lot of finky details if you want.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Thanks.

I've never heard of these games, but I'm downloading the demo now!

In other news, I bought GalCiv2 but holy shit I am so lost as to what's going on.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    GalCiv2 seems overwhelming at first, but it's all pretty straightforward. I LOVE the ginormous tech tree. I'm still playing vanilla; I've been meaning to pick up the expansions but keep getting caught up in TF2.

Michael H on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Damn, now I'm really wishing I'd bought Anno instead of GalCiv, cause this seems much more up my alley.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have all kinds of love for Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. Closest thing I've found to the Master of Magic experience.

Also, note that Stardock is working on Elemental:War of Magic, which looks to be the next generation in MOM clones. It was supposed to be in beta by now, I don't know what's up with that. But what I've seen is awesome, and Stardock always makes great stuff. WANT!

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Thanks.

In other news, I bought GalCiv2 but holy shit I am so lost as to what's going on.

Although I feel obligated to say that it includes TAGES DRM which only allows three installs, even on Steam. I do not want to turn this into a DRM discussion so let's leave it there.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Thanks.

Although I feel obligated to say that it includes TAGES DRM which only allows three installs, even on Steam. I do not want to turn this into a DRM discussion so let's leave it there.

Shit, I liked the demo so much I already bought it. Is it 3 period forever, or just 3 activations with the ability to deactivate? I reformat at least once a year so I am going to be pissed if I just paid $50 to borrow a game.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Forever. It's an intended feature. You have to call to get more.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    fuckdammit

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    fuckdammit

Man I really should of said something earlier. :oops:

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you love multiplayer 4X games or Civ type games I must recommend Sword of the Stars.

15 bucks on steam for it and all the expansions. It really is quite good, espcially with others. The game was made for multiplayer.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow, it's like £3 on Amazon now. Awesome. I think I'll be getting that come payday.

So, can someone give me some more info on Galactic Civilizations 2? I did a bit of reading around and it sounds great. There's an Ultimate Edition out with all expansions, I assume thats the one I should get. Anyone know of somewhere cheap to get it in the UK? Any cool stories about the game, or just some explinations as to how it plays would be cool. :)

If you want cool stories about the game you should read this. It's the story of a guy who setups a game in the largest possible game size and the ridiculousness that ensues. If you're on the fence this should push you over.

And it apparently has a sequel

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lasbrook wrote: »

If you want cool stories about the game you should read this. It's the story of a guy who setups a game in the largest possible game size and the ridiculousness that ensues. If you're on the fence this should push you over.

This is fantastic. I wish I was good enough at civ-style games to pull this kind of stuff off. Man.

freakish light on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

His battle reports are pretty clever, but you can tell he's playing on a low difficulty level. The AI would have eaten some of his plans alive on higher settings. GalCiv 2 also has the advantage of never really cheating, so when you lose to it it's because you suck :)

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    lgblgb Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Because I don't like the way those particular posts you quoted were written, I want to say that this post refers to Anno. Galactic Civilizations II on the other hand!

lgb on
    mmuo.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »

His battle reports are pretty clever, but you can tell he's playing on a low difficulty level. The AI would have eaten some of his plans alive on higher settings. GalCiv 2 also has the advantage of never really cheating, so when you lose to it it's because you suck :)

He admits this fully in the first one. It's also why his strategy of having no defense whatsoever "works."

freakish light on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, he basically abuses his knowledge of the AI's capabilities at various levels in order to compete. At even a middling level he would have been squashed quite easily.

After building my latest system I finally have powerful enough hardware to play a game of Civ4 on a huge, mostly land, map and not have it bog down. I've also played the mod Fall from Heaven, again on huge land maps, and included all 18 civs. That certainly makes for an epic style game. Two civs were wiped out before I even met them, and another was trapped in a corner behind two civs I was perpetually annoyed with so I never made contact before I won.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Those stories make me want GalCiv2 soooo bad! It works out at just over £30 to buy it with all 3 expansions from their site, and you can d/l it right away AND have the disc version sent to you for that (it is cheaper by about £6 to have just the d/l version, but if I'm gonna get it, I want the disc too!!!). Now, as it is an American site, and is converting dollar to pound in the checkout, and the p&p (s/h) charges seem rather high, do I assume they send the disc version FROM America too?

Wait... I just double checked... GAME sell the Ultimate Editon for £15. Do I assume this is the same ultimate version as on the website with all 3 expansions? Also, GAME sell something called 'Endless Universe' seperately at £5. Is this not included with the Ultimate Edition? Are there any other expansions I need with this too?

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    travathian wrote: »
    Yeah, he basically abuses his knowledge of the AI's capabilities at various levels in order to compete. At even a middling level he would have been squashed quite easily.

After building my latest system I finally have powerful enough hardware to play a game of Civ4 on a huge, mostly land, map and not have it bog down. I've also played the mod Fall from Heaven, again on huge land maps, and included all 18 civs. That certainly makes for an epic style game. Two civs were wiped out before I even met them, and another was trapped in a corner behind two civs I was perpetually annoyed with so I never made contact before I won.

I actually hated civ4, but I have to say, I am really enjoying fall from heaven2. Glad I bought it during the last sale(think it was the package of games ones).

Morkath on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Those stories make me want GalCiv2 soooo bad! It works out at just over £30 to buy it with all 3 expansions from their site, and you can d/l it right away AND have the disc version sent to you for that (it is cheaper by about £6 to have just the d/l version, but if I'm gonna get it, I want the disc too!!!). Now, as it is an American site, and is converting dollar to pound in the checkout, and the p&p (s/h) charges seem rather high, do I assume they send the disc version FROM America too?

Wait... I just double checked... GAME sell the Ultimate Editon for £15. Do I assume this is the same ultimate version as on the website with all 3 expansions? Also, GAME sell something called 'Endless Universe' seperately at £5. Is this not included with the Ultimate Edition? Are there any other expansions I need with this too?

Yeah the Ultimate Edition is the same thing on their site and in store. The Endless Universe is apparently some sort of Europe only package of the expansions that DOESN'T require the main game to play. So the Ultimate Edition will have you covered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Civilizations_II:_Endless_Universe

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »

He admits this fully in the first one. It's also why his strategy of having no defense whatsoever "works."

Oh yes, I saw where he mentioned it, I just think you'll have an even more epic game with the AI on, since the AI genuinely will do clever things to try and beat you as opposed to on lower levels which end up just letting you decide how you want to win.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yeah the Ultimate Edition is the same thing on their site and in store. The Endless Universe is apparently some sort of Europe only package of the expansions that DOESN'T require the main game to play. So the Ultimate Edition will have you covered.

Awesome! I was all ready to get the Endless Universe thing though, as it was in GAME's 3 for £10 section... and I could also pick up the rereleased Alpha Centauri and another game of my choice... but now I'll have to rethink.

For anyone else in the UK who wants GalCiv2, as I say it's £14.99 at GAME, or you can get it as part of their 2 for £25 multibuy... there are a few other good games to be had on that list! And that's still cheaper than buying it online! :)

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    I have all kinds of love for Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. Closest thing I've found to the Master of Magic experience.

Also, note that Stardock is working on Elemental:War of Magic, which looks to be the next generation in MOM clones. It was supposed to be in beta by now, I don't know what's up with that. But what I've seen is awesome, and Stardock always makes great stuff. WANT!

Demigod happened. It launched with enough problems that it pulled coders away from Elemental to overhaul its net code, delaying the beta.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So, still on for getting GalCiv2 (it's my birthday in a couple of weeks, and my fiancee says he'll get it for me, woo!), but I've tried out another game in the meantime - Anno 1404. It was a timed demo which was kind of disappointing, but I loved it and I really want it. Only problem is the DRM issue. 3 installs only? I mean, what the hell? Is there any word about this being fixed, or is there an easy way to reset installs? Also, the price of the game at the moment is a little high... anyone know of somewhere to get in at £20 or less at all? Any other anecdotes or opinions about the game would be welcome too.

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There are cracks available to remove the DRM allowing you to install it as many times as you want, you just lose access to the silly online portion they provide. I found the game cool at first, but the lack of documentation kills it for me, not to mention that late game the interface proves burdensome when you have a large empire.

travathian on
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am enjoying Anno 1404 a lot so far. The drm sucks, no doubt about it, which is unfortunate because the game itself is rather good. It's got to be one of the best looking city builders I've ever seen. It is rather slow paced, and there's no multiplayer. The range of building choices is huge, and islands only have a few resource types on each one. Every civilian level (peasant, patrician etc) needs numerous unique resources. A supply chain for one commodity (like books or candles) can easily encompass 3 or 4 islands. Building an advanced empire is really a logistical challenge, and I haven't even touched the combat portion of the game.

So if you like somewhat slow, huge, difficult single player games you might like this one.

bamjo on