As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My best friend's suicidal girlfriend

AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
One of my friends, J (who is a girl), has had a rocky relationship with another girl (C) for about a year now. From what J has told me, C seems bipolar. This is post is what I know of the relationship based on what J has told me. I don't speak much with C.

Although it was better before, C now goes from loving J to saying that she hates her multiple times within the scope of a day. J has "left" C several times and has been the one to come back every time, making C (in my opinion) accept that J's return is a given no matter what. I asked J how long they've gone without talking recently. 1 day was the record.

Recently, C has had some family problems the exact nature of which J hasn't told me, but I'm sure you can imagine what sort of troubles a young lesbian can have in a right-wing, devoutly Christian family. I asked J about this and she says that it's not the obvious issue of them finding out about C's secret love. C has begun talking about suicide with J, who has obviously been trying to talk her out of it. These attempts are met with C's rebuttals of things akin to "I hate you, leave me alone". This is regular conversation, not a fight. When J does leave her alone, C promptly contacts J and berates J for leaving her alone.

Recently, after one of their fights, J was crying. I don't see this often but according to her sister it's pretty common after talking to C. C acknowledges her appalling behaviour and apologizes for it. At the same time, she knows that it will happen again, possibly later that same day. J is deeply in love with C and has no idea what to do. She fears that leaving C will result in her suicide.

delicious.
AyeJaye on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dude what the fuck is up with your sig.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah your sig just formatted your whole post across my screen, and appears to be a white line?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    C must seek professional medical help by means of a psychologist and psychiatrist (usually in that order).

If she is bipolar, she will have to get professional help. Bipolar is not something to screw with. It is a very serious problem affecting a person's very core personality, which makes it right about impossible for that person to handle. Go read up on it via Wikipedia if you're interested. It is normally caused by gross imbalances of chemicals in the brain and thus responds the best to drugs first then therapy (can't really treat someone who doesn't care enough to want to be treated).

Now, she may not really be bipolar. However, suicide is generally seen as a point against the happy and healthy mental condition. Bipolar is generally indicated by extreme shifts in mood from extremely depressed (in exceptional cases, the person will not even get out of bed for several days, won't eat, attempts/succeeds at suicide, etc) to extremely manic (in exceptional cases, won't sleep for several days while working on paintings or music or cleaning or something else which takes up a lot of energy and/or creativity). The swings are often regular and can be prolonged, going for days at a stretch.

Now, something else to remember is that teenagers are crazy, emotional, and in strong need of acceptance. They will oft times do and say things to get that attention.

The only person who can determine her specific psychological problem is a psychologist. Attempting to handle this without the professional help is not much different than a 10 year old trying to drive a 16-wheeler across the country. The kid could do it, but it is extremely unlikely and the attempt will have a great probability of causing harm to the kid and those who come near.

If C is a minor and her family isn't the type to go to professional help... well that leads to an unfortunate situation. J can, in that case, seek out some help in dealing with this from professionals. J could talk to C's family, or have her sister do it, or her parents, or you. J could also contact a local community support center to see what they suggest (such as a suicide hotline). She could also respond to all of C's "i hate you and I'm going to kill myself" tantrums by giving her the phone number to such a hotline and telling her to contact them. J should not do this alone.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    AyeJaye wrote: »
    One of my friends, Jenny (who is a girl), has had a rocky relationship with another girl (Cathy) for about a year now. From what Jenny has told me, Cathy seems bipolar. This is post is what I know of the relationship based on what Jenny has told me. I don't speak much with Cathy.

Although it was better before, Cathy now goes from loving Jenny to saying that she hates her multiple times within the scope of a day. Jenny has "left" Cathy several times and has been the one to come back every time, making Cathy (in my opinion) accept that Jenny's return is a given no matter what. I asked Jenny how long they've gone without talking recently. 1 day was the record.

Recently, Cathy has had some family problems the exact nature of which Jenny hasn't told me, but I'm sure you can imagine what sort of troubles a young lesbian can have in a right-wing, devoutly Christian family. I asked Jenny about this and she says that it's not the obvious issue of them finding out about Cathy's secret love. Cathy has begun talking about suicide with Jenny, who has obviously been trying to talk her out of it. These attempts are met with Cathy's rebuttals of things akin to "I hate you, leave me alone". This is regular conversation, not a fight. When Jenny does leave her alone, Cathy promptly contacts Jenny and berates Jenny for leaving her alone.

Recently, after one of their fights, Jenny was crying. I don't see this often but according to her sister it's pretty common after talking to Cathy. Cathy acknowledges her appalling behaviour and apologizes for it. At the same time, she knows that it will happen again, possibly later that same day. Jenny is deeply in love with Cathy and has no idea what to do. She fears that leaving Cathy will result in her suicide.

Fix'd for h-scroll, and to give them real names. It's fucking hard as shit to follow complicated explanations when everyone is only given a letter to identify.

First off, what are these two girls' ages? How long have they been together?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Though your sig should merit an infract I will help out.

Get J to finally get rid of C. Tell her it is not her responsibility to be burdened by someone that she is losing feelings for. C seems to have psychological instability and IMHO (not a doctor) seems to be using the threat of suicide to keep J with her. C can mean nothing but trouble for J and J is partially responsible for going back after breaking up with C. Tell J to cut contact with C, break off a relationship and move on. C has her own problems that need to be worked out and post break up she may even threaten to kill herself.

IMHO, people that threaten to kill themselves to other people are unstable but attempting to use it as a bartering chip and emotional extortion.

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What do you want to ask exactly?

Saddler on
  • Options
    AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sorry about the sig, guys. I haven't posted in a while and I guess it got fucked up somewhere between then and now.

What I'm asking for is any kind of advice to give J. They've been together for a year; they're both 18.

AyeJaye on
    delicious.
  • Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    AyeJaye wrote: »
    Sorry about the sig, guys. I haven't posted in a while and I guess it got fucked up somewhere between then and now.

What I'm asking for is any kind of advice to give J. They've been together for a year; they're both 18.

18? get J to get away from the situation as fast as possible, it is just going to get worse and worse.

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's not uncommon to have a lot of relationship drama at that age. Just be a friend to her, and listen to her problems. They'll break up when J is ready. The only thing to worry about are C's suicide threats, since a very high percentage of gay teens attempt suicide. The way she's using them to manipulate your friend is really aggressive and hurtful, but they should still be taken seriously.

Saddler on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    C sounds like an attention seeker and J needs to leave her

The Black Hunter on