As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new MechWarrior Online thread

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    There is the argument that most of those 'Mech designs couldn't ever right themselves to bipedal position after being knocked down without functional arms. Stumps/Guns are less useful for this purpose than hands, as you could use hands to grasp nearby rubble/trees/other 'Mechs to get up. Falling down is a major mechanic in BattleTech, as is the Piloting skill check to get back up. It's an intangible that you would never see in a video game or tabletop game outside of lore, of course. I've always looked at designs like the MadCat and Locust and wondered how they ever could get back up after being knocked down, with such stubby/useless arms.

As far as I know, Piloting skill checks for getting up have no negative modifiers for not having hand or arm actuators. In MW3 armless 'Mechs got up by shifting their weight from one foot to the other; I don't recall what the MW4 animation looks like. In any case, people are able to get up from their backs without using their arms, and flightless birds manage.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    EDIT 2 - For the best thing ever, get your 3025 handbook and rapidly flip back and forth between the Zeus and Battlemaster (consecutive pages). So lazy.
    Seriously. There was a bunch of people clamoring for a BattleMaster on the MWO forums, and I kept thinking "Just get a Zeus, it's not an unseen and it's basically a square BattleMaster."

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Syngyne wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    EDIT 2 - For the best thing ever, get your 3025 handbook and rapidly flip back and forth between the Zeus and Battlemaster (consecutive pages). So lazy.
    Seriously. There was a bunch of people clamoring for a BattleMaster on the MWO forums, and I kept thinking "Just get a Zeus, it's not an unseen and it's basically a square BattleMaster."

The Zeus doesn't have the same cache that the BattleMaster has historically in BT (though I think a lot of the BattleMaster's hype is undeserved, it isn't that great), and it also pretty much a Steiner-exclusive. They're also 5 tons apart in weight and don't really play the same at all, in spite of their broadly similar appearance.

Regardless, I think the Zeus is a 'mech we're likely to see in this game eventually.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    The Zeus doesn't have the same cache that the BattleMaster has historically in BT (though I think a lot of the BattleMaster's hype is undeserved, it isn't that great), and it also pretty much a Steiner-exclusive. They're also 5 tons apart in weight and don't really play the same at all, in spite of their broadly similar appearance.

Regardless, I think the Zeus is a 'mech we're likely to see in this game eventually.

Well, I was speaking more aesthetically. :)

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Never liked the Battlemaster. Stupid gun.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Why... would a 'mech need a hand-held gun. Why not, you know, make the arm modular instead of articulating fingers you know what I'm just going to stop. That mech is terrible.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So for those of you who have "reserved your pilot name," I assume people are interpreting that to mean your in-game handle and not like the name of your pilot as a character, yes?

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    How can I do "Gun Penis" if my mechs gun is attached to its arm?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    So for those of you who have "reserved your pilot name," I assume people are interpreting that to mean your in-game handle and not like the name of your pilot as a character, yes?
    They might be the same thing.

• Options

Yeah. There was just something about the way they had things written up back when the signups first opened that made me think it was more of a name-your-character type of thing, like MechWarrior Jack Smith. But I don't think they've given any indication that you'll be able to, like...create multiple MechWarriors, have they? I guess it's probably just the handle.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Yeah. There was just something about the way they had things written up back when the signups first opened that made me think it was more of a name-your-character type of thing, like MechWarrior Jack Smith. But I don't think they've given any indication that you'll be able to, like...create multiple MechWarriors, have they? I guess it's probably just the handle.

It sounded like they were going to do the infinite skill point cap, where the only limit is your play time. So there really wouldnt be much need to have multiple characters outside of faction experimentation.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
  • Options
    Wow, they really are taking the armor system pretty much intact from the tabletop game.

No mention of "omni" hardpoints! Good news!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Huh, I could have sworn I had read something about how they were going to actually place importance on the variants of mechs, rather than just mechlabing everything

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Spoit wrote: »
    Huh, I could have sworn I had read something about how they were going to actually place importance on the variants of mechs, rather than just mechlabing everything
    I think that's what they're doing with the hardpoint system. Different variants of the same 'Mech chassis will have different hardpoint setups, and the hardpoints will vary between chassis as well.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    I think that's what they're doing with the hardpoint system. Different variants of the same 'Mech chassis will have different hardpoint setups, and the hardpoints will vary between chassis as well.

Yep, but lack of omni hardpoints and keeping the other hardpoints fairly small and restrictive should discourage "boating" and prevent 'mechs from becoming samey. :)

• Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    Actually, I think the biggest improvement would be making sure all the weapon types are viable.

In MW4, unless you were in the Solaris matches, no one ever equipped a small laser. If they can actually make a case where you would want to equip a small laser instead of just boating the largest number of Large Lasers, Gauss Rifles, etc, I think that would be good.

And I'm just fine with there not being any Omni hardpoints. Omni hardpoints just contribute to boating.

• Options
    Tejs wrote: »
    Actually, I think the biggest improvement would be making sure all the weapon types are viable.

In MW4, unless you were in the Solaris matches, no one ever equipped a small laser. If they can actually make a case where you would want to equip a small laser instead of just boating the largest number of Large Lasers, Gauss Rifles, etc, I think that would be good.

In fairness, there was pretty much no reason to equip a small laser in the tabletop game either, except to help maintain your precise heat point for triple-strength myomer.

And I'm just fine with there not being any Omni hardpoints. Omni hardpoints just contribute to boating.

Yeah, I agree with that entirely, think that's what I said? Sorry if it wasn't clear.

• Options
    In fairness, there was pretty much no reason to equip a small laser in the tabletop game either, except to help maintain your precise heat point for triple-strength myomer.
    *sadChargerface*

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    It's a little thing, but I love how you can see actuators and other internal systems on the crit space list in that mock-up. Hope that translates to the full game too.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    MegaMek wrote: »
    It's a little thing, but I love how you can see actuators and other internal systems on the crit space list in that mock-up. Hope that translates to the full game too.
    What I want to know is...
    WHAT IS THE DUCK-O-TRON 2C?? I totally want to play this mech. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    No mech presence at ALL at PAX East. Kind of dissapointed. Did I just miss it?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    No mech presence at ALL at PAX East. Kind of dissapointed. Did I just miss it?
    No, I think the devs said they wouldn't be making an appearance there.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Dev Interview 6
    MWO: Has anyone done anything with the MechLab that surprised you?

[STEPHEN] So far, only the occasional abuse due to full restrictions not being in place yet. [ed: Someone (*coughMATTC*) stuffed his Catapult with 2000 missiles.]
    MWO: Which has been your favourite 'Mech to use in playtests?

[DION] As per the question before the last, I have become partial to the Jenner.

[COLIN] Jenner. It moves so fast and it's hard to be targeted. :)

[STEPHEN] The Jenner JR7-F. Enough armor to last a while in battle and fast enough to evade the big boys.
    MWO: How many pink and purple 'Mechs do you think you'll see once the game launches?

[DION] Funny you should ask, the House Marik logo has a purple hue to it, which is the Faction I see myself picking. So in that case I hope to see lots.

[COLIN] I really don’t know but I saw some impressive 'Mech paintings in the forum and I am looking forward to seeing them in the game.

[STEPHEN] Since I am in charge of creating the interface that allows it, I’ll make sure that pink and purple ‘Mechs won’t last long on the battlefield ;)

MegaMek on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Poor Mech Assault. 15 year old me loved that game, and now you all just hate on it....

But on a serious note, anyone know what faction there going to go with?

• Options
    Poor Mech Assault. 15 year old me loved that game, and now you all just hate on it....

We hate on it because it is terrible. It's okay to like terrible things when you are 15, and it's okay to acknowledge that 15-year-old-you had terrible taste. Hell, I don't even want to remember the music that I liked when I was 15.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

We hate on it because it is terrible. It's okay to like terrible things when you are 15, and it's okay to acknowledge that 15-year-old-you had terrible taste. Hell, I don't even want to remember the music that I liked when I was 15.
    Yeah, I liked MW2 when I was 15...:P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular

Definitely house liao - I have been a supporter since 1996. In fact, I have a cameo in the 2000 or 2001 Field Manual: Capellan Confederation Armed Forces, so I can't defect now. :)

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Going with Kurita, myself. I played as them in MPBT, and Theodore has some cojones. Not to mention I like their mechs and C3 computers...

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Much as I would like to go Davion, for 3049 I think I'm going with Marik. Because that gives me the best chance of killing Lyrians.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I think I will go with whatever the largest group of PA people is... I want a merc team.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Merc team or FRR if that's an option (which I kinda doubt). I forget, did they release a list of the available houses/factions?

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Merc team or FRR if that's an option (which I kinda doubt). I forget, did they release a list of the available houses/factions?

so far they have mentioned only the 5 great houses + merc.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I will go with the majority of PA'ers anywhere except Liao.

But merc, I think, would be ideal.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Put me down for merc as well.

It does seem to be the optimal choice.

Besides, women find mercs sexy. :winky:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    It will depend on what benefits you get for joining a merc company or house. If it ends up that the merc company is completely shafted and we have to choose a house, I say that we should pick the one that goes best with the word Wang.

The Free Wang's League. The Federated Commonwang. Those are my top two choices. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Lyran or merc for me. Whatever allows me to be called a Hauptmann. Because that's much cooler than captain. 8-)

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

so far they have mentioned only the 5 great houses + merc.

It's on the faction list.

• Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Oh, sweet.

Ultimately I suppose I'll go wherever the largest concentration of PA folks go, but FRR would be my choice.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I would prefer merc, as I have said, but otherwise my vote would go for the FWL.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
This discussion has been closed.