As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HITSCAN FORTRESS 2 - NO OFF TOPICS

• Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kupi wrote: »
    I know I've said something like "Every time I turn around you're half-dead! What's wrong with you?!" to people, but it's mostly in jest. Especially when you're the one Medic on the team, it can get overwhelming to be surrounded by tiny little red health bars and trying to figure out who to heal first.

I feel like this playing scout. I might as well bind the medic call to mouse1.

theantipop on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I'm playing Medic, the only time I won't actively be healing everyone within reach is if I'm attached to a person I want to keep pushing forward and combat is clearly imminent. Otherwise, free heals for everybody. I know from personal experience how aggravating it is to constantly encounter overhealed players and try to share the fun with other players.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I know I've said something like "Every time I turn around you're half-dead! What's wrong with you?!" to people, but it's mostly in jest. Especially when you're the one Medic on the team, it can get overwhelming to be surrounded by tiny little red health bars and trying to figure out who to heal first.

man that is me so hard

mostly due to frivolous rocketjumping

SuMa.Lustre on
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Pretty well this. If you are the only medic on a team it means you will usually have a good 7 or so offensive classes to take care of. (Granted this can vary, but Usually you only have 4 snipers, spies and engis, and 7 soldiers, demos, heavys and scouts if you are the only medic). It doesnt hurt to run back a litte and grab a kit, it will cut the medic a break as thats one less person he has to worry about, and you can more often the not get back to fighting quicker, rather then waiting for him to heal everyone else and evuntally get to you.

Medics have their priorities and such, gota remember that.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Fellhand wrote: »
    edit: Fellhand, you would be amazed at the amount of times I've mentioned that "I would be happy to go medic if we had some classes that, ya know, could kill people" and folks listened to my plea and turned the tide of the game.
    and it's an amazing large amount of times, not an amazingly few :p

I guess I would be because I always get the team with 3 or 4 snipers, spies, engineers or scouts on offense. We'll have that and a single heavy or a single demo and one medic and then wonder why we can't make a push.

3 scouts isn't that bad an idea for offence, if they're harassing medics moving up to the front, picking off stragglers and generally doing their jobs as scouts. Scouts who just run around and loldoublejump and FaN spam on the front line are lolworthy though, agreed.

3 scouts is a subpar ubder/kritz target. I guess my problem is that of late there are not enough offensive classes to uber where something can get done. People always want that second medic, but without a second offensive class it's pretty useless.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You should uber me because I still need that scout achievement

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As a medic, if someone grabs that fucking health pack when I'm standing right fucking there I'm liable to yell/angrily mutter WELL THANKS NOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE PRYO TAGS ME WITH THE FLARE GUN YOU RAGING COCKMONGLER?

I just make sure to never heal those people ever. That or uber them then the second they round the corner switch to my medigun and FLEEEE leaving them to die muhahaha

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey, not to divert from the current discussion, but I wanted to ask an unrelated question.

A few pages ago I complained about my new internet being noticeably laggier than my old connection. Another poster replied "Payload world -1". Is that a console command? I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm not that familiar with the steam console commands, and I'm at work so I can't check.

Clarification would be appreciated.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I have never seen anybody get this or the corresponding medic achievement.

cheez on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got the medic one, but it was on a scout achievement server

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got the medic one on a scout who already had it, it felt pretty great though. Not sure who I gave the kritz to but god damn, it was awsome. Seeing a scout tear through 3 people is always great to see.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

man that is me so hard

mostly due to frivolous rocketjumping

the best part of being a medic is deciding who lives and who dies. well, no. the best part of being a medic is deciding lustre gets to die.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    One recent thing that's been getting me annoyed is when medics get all huffy about healing people that always seem to be at low HP. For example, I'm a pyro that runs out, catches a couple people on fire, and runs away. I live, but my HP bar is almost gone. As in, 1 hp left. As a frequent medic player, I'd look at the pyro and think "oh god, I hope he lives to get over to me so I can get my uber charged that much faster for the heavy to break the front lines" but I've been getting "god damn it, go get the health pack or something, stop yelling for a medic." Is it just me, am I really being that annoying that instead of grabbing a health pack, I'd rather the medic take his beam off the heavy that's not even doing anything for a few seconds instead of wasting 174 hp worth of super charge on an uber?

I dunno, it's just seemed really stupid to me not to swap to low hp targets when there's no enemies around or when trying to break through a nest.

This medic is a fool. I only get annoyed at calls when they are so far across a map I have no idea how to get closer. They need to fix up the Medicall system.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I only get annoyed at people who call medic when they're completely full on health. Sometimes I accidentally hit it, yeah, but calling for medic over and over as you walk from spawn to the battlefield is a sure way for me not to uber or heal you. Have fun with that.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Hey, not to divert from the current discussion, but I wanted to ask an unrelated question.

A few pages ago I complained about my new internet being noticeably laggier than my old connection. Another poster replied "Payload world -1". Is that a console command? I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm not that familiar with the steam console commands, and I'm at work so I can't check.

Alas, that was a joke, I'm afraid. Not sure what to do for ya as far as lag goes, but perhaps one could always make sure no other programs are using your net connection before playing TF2.

The Listener on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cheez wrote: »
    It's pretty simple, really
    Are there mans to kill?
    Yes-> Pop that shit
    No-> Pop that shit anyway, there's always mans to kill

I realize this was a joke, but that's pretty much how I was trying to use it. See enemies, pop cruber. A couple seconds later, target dies or I die (which then makes me listen to the "active crit uber" sound effect while I wait to respawn, fun!). I think it's the whole uber = CHAAAAAARGE mindset that I need to learn to turn off.

Or maybe the people I was trying to cruber just sucked.

Probably. There's no shame in specifically seeking out good players who you know can do well with an uber/kruber and giving it to them.
    I was actually being serious. Krubers are completely different from regular ubers in their objective. With an uber you are typically trying to break through some kind of defense, either a lot of enemies entrenched on a point or a sentry gun. With a kruber, for the most part, your main goal is to kill people. There's no reason to try and save a kruber for later like you might with a regular uber. A kruber should be popped as soon as there's combat and a decent number of enemies to kill, with the ideal usage of a kruber killing the enemies medics, thus preventing them from getting their own krubers/ubers.

As much as it pains me, I have to point out that pretentious was spot on.

Without typing walls of text, as a kritz medic communication is the key. If you have a mic, use it. If not, learn the ZXC keys. You can tell a player a lot from them. You and your patient should be working together on when to pop it, but generally if more than two people are within shooting distance it's always a go.

Besides the typical medic things, try to keep up with things like how many rockets the soldier has loaded, and how many people will be spawning in their next wave. Any natural chokepoint will usually net good results but hallways, corners and control points guarantee deaths if fired upon.

Literally.

[insert smug.gif here]

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The scout one is pretty much impossible to get short of perfect circumstances. Even with a kruber, the scattergun won't kill full health-people fast enough.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's why you use the bat.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sometimes I feel bad as a spy when I keep killing a newbie medic. :(

Fuga on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It was a joke about the graphical glitches someone else posted screenshots of. Wasn't a reply to you.

Adus on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As a medic, if someone grabs that fucking health pack when I'm standing right fucking there I'm liable to yell/angrily mutter WELL THANKS NOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE PRYO TAGS ME WITH THE FLARE GUN YOU RAGING COCKMONGLER?

Start huffing your kritzkreig. Sure it may take you a full minute to get back to full health, but nothing sends a message to your team better than hiding in a corner and getting high.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ah, okay thanks. Not really sure what I can do about the lag, the strange thing is that the internet provider is the same. The only new thing is that my phone line is also routed via the cable modem now, so maybe I should disconnect my phone before playing.

Thanks for clarifying.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Those people don't get heals. Seriously, if the medic is on fire or low on health LET HIM GET THE FUCKING HEALTH PACK. That shit seriously pisses me off.
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I only get annoyed at people who call medic when they're completely full on health. Sometimes I accidentally hit it, yeah, but calling for medic over and over as you walk from spawn to the battlefield is a sure way for me not to uber or heal you. Have fun with that.

I hate that, especially when we're in a large group and shit is flying. I'm busy, I'll heal you when you're hurt.

I need the medic one (well the scout one too but fuck that). If I see you on tonight I'll team stack and uber you.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fuga wrote: »

Well how else is he going to learn?

In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would use the kritzkrieg more often if I didn't feel regret when I pull off a bad krube. I mean, I bet those bitches would've got decimated if that lucky soldier didn't crit rocket me to smithereens.

It's a shame the weapon has the best taunt in the game, and I would use it more often if I didn't die so much in the process. But-it-has-its-uses-etc-etc-iknow

McAllen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Fuga wrote: »

Well how else is he going to learn?

I had an unusually good run as spy on pipeline last night, I forget who the enemy medic was but at one point I had him spraying every single corner outside of his spawn trying to find me.

I felt I did the world a service by installing in him the proper level of paranoia to play a good medic. It worked too.. after about five minutes they completely shut down my spying antics and I had to switch class.

xzzy on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There is nothing worse than facing forward after a Quick-turn Needle Spray of Paranoia and getting backstabbed.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've always felt quite ashamed when stabbed after or during a spycheck as a pyro.

"Wait. Wait. Why is there a knife in my back. That's not right. I'm a Pyro. We burn spies."

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hate to bring up the forbidden topic after it just finished, but as far as team "stacking" goes, generally the only thing that really annoys me is that the winning team never bothers to slow down at all. I mean, if you just keep steamrolling the other team, why keep playing seriously? Try to melee a few guys, take some unnecessary risks, and so on, you're still going to win. And if you're pulling your punches a bit, then A) Everyone's going to have more fun and B) The other teams morale may improve enough that they start putting up a good fight again. There's no downside. Instead though, people seem to believe that it's much more fun to keep steamrolling, when it's doubtful that even most of the winning team is enjoying themselves.

Anyway, whatever people think, intentional team stacks do sometimes happen. Most of the time it's just auto-assign randomness, but just a couple days ago there was a group of 4 people who always chose the same team and went 2xmedic, heavy, soldier. A friend of mine has been starting to get back into the game, but one of the few days he plays, we're just watching a constant steamroll. It was annoying and very stupid.

Mars on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I should disconnect my phone before playing.g.

Signal noise. Tis a bitch.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

That's why they make filters to plug your phone and DSL into. Works super!

xzzy on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mars wrote: »
    I hate to bring up the forbidden topic after it just finished, but as far as team "stacking" goes, generally the only thing that really annoys me is that the winning team never bothers to slow down at all.

In Duld's defense, he always takes the time to whip out his shovel and fight me. Of course, he's still got a medic attached to him, but hey.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I hate to bring up the forbidden topic after it just finished, but as far as team "stacking" goes, generally the only thing that really annoys me is that the winning team never bothers to slow down at all. I mean, if you just keep steamrolling the other team, why keep playing seriously? Try to melee a few guys, take some unnecessary risks, and so on, you're still going to win. And if you're pulling your punches a bit, then A) Everyone's going to have more fun and B) The other teams morale may improve enough that they start putting up a good fight again. There's no downside. Instead though, people seem to believe that it's much more fun to keep steamrolling, when it's doubtful that even most of the winning team is enjoying themselves.

Anyway, whatever people think, intentional team stacks do sometimes happen. Most of the time it's just auto-assign randomness, but just a couple days ago there was a group of 4 people who always chose the same team and went 2xmedic, heavy, soldier. A friend of mine has been starting to get back into the game, but one of the few days he plays, we're just watching a constant steamroll. It was annoying and very stupid.

There's a lot of chances for insult to injury if you play less seriously but win anyway. Taunt kills usually come from deranged nerds who are proud of their wasted time, and it can be infuriating to be on the receiving end of a stacked team bragging and laughing at you. Sure, you have more of a chance, but it wouldn't be long for the team that has the better players to start playing seriously again and whoop ass and act like retards.

When you put a clan name next to your tag and you stick with your clan that's stacking, I don't see how you can argue it(Not saying you specifically). Sure, it might be innocent at heart but you're still stacking. And it only gets to frustrating levels when people do it en masse, say 3-5 people.

McAllen on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

That's why they make filters to plug your phone and DSL into. Works super!

No. It doesn't. Signal Noise is omnipresent and the only way to avoid it is to unplug everything BUT the thing you're using.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I will only do this if a medic spawned right before me and he's running ahead of me, unaware that I'm following. He should never not have his beam on someone if there's a target available.

cheez on
  • Options
    LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Some people here still fail to realize that the community is chock full of people who call each other 'friends'. 'Friends' like to play the same game together, preferrably on the -same- team, and they typically make good team-mates.

With that aside - I have well over a hundred hours invested into Medic, and it's my favorite class hands down, it's also the most controversial class on the forums here. Duldonkulus, Marty, Tyrannus, Hacksaw, Lustre, Asiina (Cause she's awsome.), Iowa, Enders, Creepy, and many others I'm forgetting (It's been awhile.) are my favorite medic targets. They keep track of me and ensure I don't prematurely die. I don't like following people I don't know - It's typically a recipie for disaster, and the above people are usually guaranteed to take lots of damage. Which means more ubers.

Although I can say I heal everyone and anyone I can get my medigun attached to. These people are just my favorites to tag along with. I'm also rather old-school with my equipment - I don't like the Kritz, or the new saw (Which takes away the chance of a crit to defend yourself.)

Edit - You can crit with Ubersaw. I is retarded.

Lunysgwen on
  • Options
    TheManiac_614TheManiac_614 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    irony!

TheManiac_614 on
    halolz-dot-com-worldofwarcraft-nogirlfriendchart.gif
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

A lot of times I accidentally hit the medic button, but it's not over and over unless my hand is off a key.

Protip: E + M1 doesn't work out quite so well for Pyros.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Should medics benefit from dead player's ammo in more ways?

I was thinking that it could add a small increase in your ubercharge, or increase the overall rate for charging in that life. It would discourage a lot of things but I was inspired by the medkits that you can sometimes drop on modded servers. More uber = bigger pack. The idea really worked when there would be a ton of damaged players with enemies charging through the gate. I lost my chance for an uber charge, but I saved a few people in the process. I don't know if I could've done the same with just using an uber, but I thought it was cool.

McAllen on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    mrflippy wrote: »

A lot of times I accidentally hit the medic button, but it's not over and over unless my hand is off a key.

Protip: E + M1 doesn't work out quite so well for Pyros.

Yeah I do the same. That's fine, but calling medic 7 times is not, not when you have full health and don't need it.

Icemopper on