As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hell's] Kitchen: There was no "voila" for me

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    That is pretty strange. Most people probably do start to learn to cook from their parents who learned from their parents and so on, so I suppose there is an element where any taste developed for the western dessert style might have been something they had to acquire instead of something they grew up with, especially since a lot of these people aren't from a culinary school where they would have learned all of that. I know my girlfriend, whose dad is from Japan and is a sushi chef and now runs his restaurant here in Florida, took some time to get used to the desserts I made even though she was born and raised here in the US. I've come to discover that some of my Chinese friends that grew up in more traditional households are in a completely different frame of mind with regards to pastries especially. I can see how some might be adjusting to the judges who are all from a decidedly western background.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    Haaaa... the music they play during Tali's burger is the "guy doing something really dumb, but he doesn't realize it yet" music. How the hell do you eat that thing?

You need a really big mouth.

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Guess the flavor elevator dropped to the ground floor.

• Options
    devCharles wrote: »
    That is pretty strange. Most people probably do start to learn to cook from their parents who learned from their parents and so on, so I suppose there is an element where any taste developed for the western dessert style might have been something they had to acquire instead of something they grew up with, especially since a lot of these people aren't from a culinary school where they would have learned all of that. I know my girlfriend, whose dad is from Japan and is a sushi chef and now runs his restaurant here in Florida, took some time to get used to the desserts I made even though she was born and raised here in the US. I've come to discover that some of my Chinese friends that grew up in more traditional households are in a completely different frame of mind with regards to pastries especially. I can see how some might be adjusting to the judges who are all from a decidedly western background.

After checking again, here's the breakdown:

Slim Huynh - Lost because of a stupid fondue plate in a romance challenge
    Mike Kim - Lost in a dessert challenge (vanilla)
    Alvin Schultz - Lost in a dessert challenge (coffee)
    Esther Kang - Lost in a dessert challenge (sponge cake)
    Suzy Singh - Lost in a dessert challenge (lemon meringue)
    Michael Chen - Lost in a dessert challenge (apple pie)

In the history of masterchef, we've only had one asian chef who was eliminated for something that wasn't a dessert challenge.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Maybe before trying out for master chef they should try making some of the classic western desserts. Its actually something all of the chefs should do. Desserts usually include baking, which unlike cooking you need to follow very specfic formulas. A lot of chefs fail on dessert challanges because they cant just wing it.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Damn. I really thought the MasterChef dessert was gonna claim another Asian victim.

• Options
    I don't understand how Becky was in the top three. Even if she did an absolutely perfect dessert, it still wouldn't fulfill the criteria of being something people would pay $40 for.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Oh, come on. You've never paid $40 for half a peach?

I might, if it had two $20 bills under it.

The only desert of those three I've ever tried (and made) is tiramisu. I don't understand how you can make tiramisu in the time allotted, Is it normal to make tiramisu without time to chill?

I still have no idea what a trifle is. Even after checking wikipedia, it sounds like gibberish. I wish they explained it on the show.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Oh, come on. You've never paid $40 for half a peach?

I might, if it had two $20 bills under it.

The only desert of those three I've ever tried (and made) is tiramisu. I don't understand how you can make tiramisu in the time allotted, Is it normal to make tiramisu without time to chill?

I still have no idea what a trifle is. Even after checking wikipedia, it sounds like gibberish. I wish they explained it on the show.

Trifle is like a desert casserole. generally it's layers of sponge cake soaked in a liqour or port, custard, fruit, jello(optional), and whipped cream on top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xKtIXylxFA

Foomy on
  • Options
    Additional thoughts:

At one point, Monti asks David if he has any flour. Why would David have flour? He's making tiramisu. Unless you're making spongue cake from scratch (which I actually did once for a gluten free friend), why would you need flour?

I'm surprised by how many people left the leaves on in strawberry shortcake. Why?

Becky's dish was so weird. So weird.

Tali says he used liquid nitrogen. So maybe that's how they got things to chill faster?

Notice how there was only one winner this episode? Does that mean that Stacy gets to pick her entire team?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Additional thoughts:

At one point, Monti asks David if he has any flour. Why would David have flour? He's making tiramisu. Unless you're making spongue cake from scratch (which I actually did once for a gluten free friend), why would you need flour?

I'm surprised by how many people left the leaves on in strawberry shortcake. Why?

Becky's dish was so weird. So weird.

Tali says he used liquid nitrogen. So maybe that's how they got things to chill faster?

Notice how there was only one winner this episode? Does that mean that Stacy gets to pick her entire team?

he didn't say he used liquid nitrogen, he says he used nitrogen (but he probably meant nitrous oxide) charges in a cream whipper bottle to make that strawberry foam.

and Becky just went crazy trying to get way too fancy and show off, without thinking of how all the parts would taste together. individually I'm sure each bit was great.

They might of used a blast chiller for the tiramisu, but its more likely they were just sorta room temp.

Foomy on
  • Options
    Looking back, the only non-Asian chef to be eliminated on a desert challenge other than Scott was Sharone and season 1. And keep in mind, there were no other Asian chefs left at that point.

• Options
    Holy crap. I actually did a small amount of researching checking on that before I saw the pun.

I'm curious. What did your research turn up?

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    i'm disappointed none of these have deviated from a brioche bun yet
    someone needs to do something awesome like throw it between two slices of sourdough or garlic bread or something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKfVa6aG8do

I just wish the patty weren't so round.

Haha this is ridiculous, aside from being impossible to eat it doesn't even look that good.

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    Lamb and Guacomole is what confuses me. Is he spicing the lamb in an Indian style to go with the naan?

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    522101_10101328861482838_2135736955_n.jpg

• Options
    What might have happened if someone submitted this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGlwxtjH4o

• Options
    That looks really pretty but also like it would be thousands of calories.

• Options
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    That looks really pretty but also like it would be thousands of calories.

That's like whining, "That steak looks nice, but it looks like it's full of meat."

• Options
    What might have happened if someone submitted this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGlwxtjH4o

Looks way better then the mush Felix made.

• Options
    Holy crap, this is a hard pressure test. Anyone else notice Josh showing Christina what to do?

Why were there arguing so much? It's not like they're voting.

No, Anna! You were so cute! But also married so I guess goodbye.

• Options
    Anna's big mistake was that it was raw. That's a big no no with Gordon Ramsay. He does not like raw food.

• Options
    Anna's big mistake is that she didn't seem to know what she was doing, even though she turned in a pasta dish for the audition. So she was probably thrown off by all the arguing and her head wasn't in the game. i.e., she forgot to turn on the burner, which is why the pot wasn't boiling. How do you forget that?

I don't know if she made tortellini before, but she's probably made ravioli, and piercing the pasta was stupid.

The good thing about Masterchef compared to other cooking show is that all of the eliminations are individual challenges that are somewhat fair (i.e., no "cater for 600 people using one burner" challenges). The downside is that the pressure cooker challenges are way too specific, but I guess that's the point of losing.

Also, Stacy's strategy of having Tali around to throw under the bus was hilarious.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    It also didn't surprise me at all that the Mexican truck won. I mean, cmon... it's frickin LA, of course the truck serving tacos is gonna kick ass. Huge hispanic population and culture in LA.

Also... according to the show, two sliders for 7 bucks is a bargain? WTF kinda fairytale world do they live in?

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    So, on Hell's Kitchen has anyone started to stand out as actually being good? Usually you can single out a couple of contestants who are the real deal from the get go, but this season it just seems like everyone sort of sucks.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    It'll be a few episodes before we get the hero-good chef and villain-good chef. It's still open who will be the annoying chef who inexplicably sticks around, but it looks to be Barbie or obese redhead.

• Options
    I swear to God, Tali's got more lives then a cat.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    The food truck competition was sooo fucking stupid. Like DA said, of course Mexican food won. You're not competing for skill when the other two trucks are American and Indian.

The fat dude was such an idiot, though. "I'm cooking these faster than they can serve them." See, thing is you're not cooking them.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    The food truck competition was sooo fucking stupid. Like DA said, of course Mexican food won. You're not competing for skill when the other two trucks are American and Indian.

The fat dude was such an idiot, though. "I'm cooking these faster than they can serve them." See, thing is you're not cooking them.

I usually watch this when I'm working out, so my attention is heavily divided, but even I caught that.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    It'll be a few episodes before we get the hero-good chef and villain-good chef. It's still open who will be the annoying chef who inexplicably sticks around, but it looks to be Barbie or obese redhead.

Both Kimmie and Barbie are both competent, though I do find Kimmie a bit annoying. I just can't see how one could find Barbie more annoying than Tiffany or Robyn. Tiffany was screwing the pooch royally on apps (even admitting that she didn't care about the child diners) and Barbie stepped in and saved her, both with the pizza and the binellis. Robyn is just horrible, not to mention a hypocrite. She was whining about Kimmie calling her a bitch but she was calling her a bitch under her breath the whole time. It's mind boggling.

On the Masterchef front, I liked the guest bit. Nice fakeout. Tali should've been on the chopping block instead of Tanya, I think. He's constantly serving up crap and then says that the judges can't appreciate his genius, or something. Arrogant goose should've been tossed off weeks ago.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    I don't think it's any coincidence that the bottom 3 were all people who didn't use the pizza stone to make something resembling a pizza, or at least involving dough in the case of Monti. That may have been all that saved Tali. But seriously, how do you manage to dump half a kitchen on the floor making a pizza? I just think they didn't dump him here because it's pretty clear he's going to lose eventually and they'll have many, many other chances.

As more the becoming-much-less-interesting HK, I imagine Justin has been waiting in the weeds because any time he shows up, he's doing something well. I'd guess him, Dany, and Christina as 3/4 of the final four, along with someone else who won't win.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    What kind of idiot makes a rice dish without knowing anything about the rice?

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »

Both Kimmie and Barbie are both competent, though I do find Kimmie a bit annoying. I just can't see how one could find Barbie more annoying than Tiffany or Robyn. Tiffany was screwing the pooch royally on apps (even admitting that she didn't care about the child diners) and Barbie stepped in and saved her, both with the pizza and the binellis. Robyn is just horrible, not to mention a hypocrite. She was whining about Kimmie calling her a bitch but she was calling her a bitch under her breath the whole time. It's mind boggling.

On the Masterchef front, I liked the guest bit. Nice fakeout. Tali should've been on the chopping block instead of Tanya, I think. He's constantly serving up crap and then says that the judges can't appreciate his genius, or something. Arrogant goose should've been tossed off weeks ago.

I'll take Barbie and her shit-eating grin over Kimmie, Robyn, and Tiffany and their "Naw, naw. Fuck you ho! You a skank! Whatchu gon do bitch?" any day.

• Options
    Zomro wrote: »

I'll take Barbie and her shit-eating grin over Kimmie, Robyn, and Tiffany and their "Naw, naw. Fuck you ho! You a skank! Whatchu gon do bitch?" any day.

I've stopped watching Hell's Kitchen, there is just not a single likable chef on that show. They crammed this season full of what could easily be the cast of like big brother or something along those lines. Each season has been getting a little worse for that, I can't even imagine how bad next season will be if the general populace is enjoying this season. And my worst fear is that Master Chef will be dragged down the same route.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Justin isn't bad at all. He's just surrounded my morons and misfits. I'm calling him and Christina for the final show.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    christina is competent but she has crazy eyes

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Justin isn't bad at all. He's just surrounded my morons and misfits. I'm calling him and Christina for the final show.

Plus, I'm not really a huge fan of the narrative they're building around him of being this hyper-aroused bro.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    I get the feeling that Felix is going to lose soon. We really haven't seen her much this season at all.

• Options
    I just realized something.

They were using yeast packets. Don't yeast packets have the recipe on the back?

You're an idiot, Mike.