As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] It's not personal -- it's just a little business (IC)

real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Critical Failures
In the city of Grepool, a new gang of thieves have moved in, and their competition, the halflings who run the established Thieves' Guild, has a vested interest in moving them out. But that doesn't appear too easy, as the newcomers are quickly taking over and their influence expands with every day. Furthermore, these gnome thieves don't seem to have as many... scruples as the halflings do, and the result is making everyone feel a little more cautious walking around late at night.

The players are:

3clipse - Bharash the Ironhammer (Dragonborn Fighter)
Cleonicus - Glory (Tiefling Bard)
Esh - Neither (Elf Avenger)
Arivia - Carlin (Gnome Rogue)
samurai6966 - Kyser (Shifter Ranger)

I'm a new DM and I'm new to Maptools (which I'll be using for combat maps), so bear with me on this one while I get the kinks out. Please post dice rolls using invisiblecastle. Put OOC stuff in spoiler tags (I will also keep the recruitment thread as an OOC thread).

real_pochacco on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    The city of Grepool sits on a small island, surrounding by murky gray water that was magically conjured up in order to give the city built-in defenses. Despite this relative isolation, the city has been a thriving center of trade and an economic powerhouse for quite sometime. Perhaps then the complete fusion of money and power in Grepool was inevitable – corruption is rampant and the Thieves’ Guild is at the center of it all. Their activities, however, maintain the stability of the city’s underworld, and, therefore, the stability of the city itself. The citizens know that the Thieves’ Guild keeps the streets from being bathed in blood.

Unfortunately, recently the complacency of the populace has been thrown off by the current economic slump the city has been suffering. Famine in neighboring areas has led to an increase in the price of bread, and although the average adventurer might not be hurt by this, the common people are struggling.

The slums in the southern part of Grepool have been one of the places most hit by these hard times. The streets are dirty and unsafe, and on almost every street corner you’ll see some madman shouting about the beautiful creatures that haunt him.

Here, one of the most popular taverns is The Lazy Y. The sign for the tavern shows the letter Y, half-falling off. As you walk towards the entrance, you usually have to walk over the body of some poor soul lying in the street, begging or babbling. Inside is a large room, scattered with tables that roughly face a small stage in the corner. The food and drink here is cheap and filling, and even though the prices are cheap the entertainment every night is always at least decent. The innkeeper, Nate Malan, an older man with a somewhat unsettling grin, stands behind the bar. Upstairs, there are a few sparse rooms for one to spend the night, and they are generally cleaner than sleeping in the street.

Tonight, however, Nate’s grin has been replaced by a nervous expression, and he’s already broken more glasses tonight than he has in the past 6 months. Regardless, the place is relatively packed, and the drink is flowing. Glory is on stage singing a poignant ballad – not her usual performance, but she felt the crowd was not in the mood for something upbeat on this night.

Bharash, you and your mentor stayed here when you first moved to Grepool, and so you continue to come back, especially when you are recuperating after a big fight like the one you had a few days ago. You and Nate often joke that there’s some kind of restorative power in his ale for a bruised and tired gladiator.

Glory, you perform here occasionally, and you’ve known Nate for a few months now. Although The Lazy Y is probably not your best shot at stardom, you like being able to perform for a crowd who seems like they really need some good entertainment to melt away the worries of the day.

Neither and Kyser, you’re both on assignment in this district. You’ve been sent by the Thieves’ Guild to gather information about the gnomes and their movements, but you’ve found it a lot more difficult than you thought it would be. You were told that the gnomes are attempting to gain control in this area, but you’ve only gotten glimpses and hints of what’s going on, and a lot of very stern looks from passersby. Kyser, in particular you are feeling a bit desparate to have SOME kind of results, because you don’t want to go back to the Guild empty-handed. You both ended up in this tavern, planning to spend the night here and start up the search against tomorrow.

Carlin, you are actually personal friends with Nate. You have a bit of a business relationship together – he lets you rifle through the belongings of the people who stay upstairs occasionally, you try to direct drunks in the direction of The Lazy Y. He generally lends a blind eye to your thievery in his shop (as long as you don’t get caught, of course), and in return you throw him some gold every once in a while. He likes your attitude and your spirit, or at least that’s the way you prefer to frame it in your mind when you’re talking to him.
    Feel free to roleplay for a little bit about what your character is doing at the The Lazy Y, that sort of thing. I'll be writing up another post, but I won't post it until everyone's posted in the thread.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bharash, sitting at the bar, took a deep drink of ale and exhaled deeply, the tension of his most recent fight melting away. Once the adrenaline faded, he always felt somewhat drained, and the pain of the injuries he had sustained would suddenly come leaping to the fore. He watched the bard perform for a bit. She was pretty good, he had to admit; nice voice, even if her skills with the lyre weren't the greatest. He had seen worse, he decided, raising his glass to her and taking another long draught.

He turned away from the tiefling performing on stage and looked down at Nate; even seated, the Dragonborn towered over most folk. "What's eating at you, old friend?" he asked Nate in his bass rumble of a voice, fixing the human with his emerald green eyes. "I haven't seen you this on edge since the day I told you that Ragnor died."

He lowered his voice, glancing around for anyone in earshot who looked suspicious. "Is it all the gnomes moving in? They're starting to get to most of the city. They're even coming after me to throw fights." The Dragonborn snorted, a loud, deep noise. "As if."

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Neither enters the crowded tavern, making a slight face at the layer of pipe smoke and the noise of the crowd. He likes his celebrations, but just a little more low key. Sidling through the crowd, careful not to hit anyone with the overly large blade strapped to his back, he spots an empty seat at the bar next to a hulking Dragonborn and quickly deposits himself in it.

"Ale, please." he politely asks Nate after gaining his attention. The ale deposted in front of him, his ears perk up as he hears the Dragonborn grumbling about gnomes. One ear to the Dragonborn and one ear and his eyes on the crowd, he takes a small sip from his flagon.
    Actively Perceiving.
    1d20=1

1 + 9 (skill) = 10 for Perception Roll

Ouch, let's get those 1's outta the way early, eh?

Esh on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kyser was sitting at a table in the back. The ale, Dwarven Thunder, normally her favorite, taste too bitter. She isn't in the mood to talk. Men all over had tried to spark her interest but most left saying curses under their breaths. Kyser looks at the singer on stage.
    Another night without nothing. And I can't stand it. Everything, everyday is now a failure. I know I just started but this is my chance to become something. Maybe I'm going crazy too. Maybe my "Beast" is getting to me. Maybe its this singer. She could have sang something more, I don't know, Joyful? Maybe my mood is because of this song.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I didn't meant to imply that Kyser and Neither were sitting together -- they almost certainly wouldn't be. You just happen to be on a similar mission. The Thieves' Guild has sent out a lot of "feelers" into these areas.

Nate replies, somewhat panicked for a moment about gnomes having been mentioned, "Oh, it's nothing, I'm just a bit off today I guess." He appears to try and get himself together a bit.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Carlin makes her way through the inn, sticking to the shadows and her hand in a few pockets.

Thievery check:
    After she gets enough of a haul she tosses a coin onto the long bar when Nate's not looking, a gleaming surprise the man's used to by now.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Neither notices the Gnome and the gleam of the coin hitting the bar. He smiles and shoots her a quick wink, making note of her face.

"Barkeep, I think the lady wants some service over here."

He pushes the coin back toward the gnome, depositing his own currency on the bar.

"This ones on me."

A Gnomish thief if I ever saw one. I wonder what she knows...

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nate moves over to Carlin, and whispers in her ear, "Can you fucking cut it out, just for tonight? You're gonna get caught one of these days, and I'll have to throw you out, and you know I don't want to do that."

He definitely seems on edge, because normally he would never snap at you. He quickly moves away from you and back to serving customers, and you can tell that he's got his eye firmly on the door.
    You stole 4 sp.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bharash frowned (as much as a Dragonborn can make that kind of facial expression) and decided not to press the issue further; if Nate needed help, he would tell him.

He turned back towards the stage and took another drink of his ale, conscious of an elf next to him that seemed a little too curious. He saw the elf wink and smile at a gnome and wondered what that was about, but shrugged and dismissed it as nothing, preferring to lose himself in the drink and the music.

When he turned back from the stage again, he saw Nate staring at the door and frowned again. This was all very much unlike Nate, and given the recent trouble with gnomes...

Blast it he thought as realization dawned on him. Something's going down tonight. He checked his weapons, making sure his Mordenkrad and shield were secure across his back before checking the throwing hammers and Craghammer on his waist.

If something's going to happen tonight, I'm going to stop it. No one messes with Nate on my watch.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Carlin throws her arms up, both in resignation and an effort to get closer to Nate's height. "Fine, fine." She leaps up onto a seat, accepting the tankard Nate passes her, the greatsword on her back staccato on the floor as she leans back and forward.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "That's quite the sword." Neither says, cocking an eye at the massive blade across Carlin's back. "Must get in your way."

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "Quite the contrary. Thanks for the draught, tall-one."

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The conversation to his side sparked Bharash's interest. Keeping his eye on Nate and the door, he turned slightly to the side and looked at the gnome. "What does someone your size do with a weapon that big, anyway?" he asked, cocking his head. "You're not exactly the most muscly gnome I've yet to run across."

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Carlin looks the dragonborn up and down, then snorts. "Keeps me from sleeping with you at night, honey." She returns to her drink.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bharash reared his head back and laughed, his sides shaking with laughter. He leveled a finger at the gnome: "Well, at least you don't take crap from anyone twice your size" he said, losing himself to laughter again.

Grinning, he said "plus, it's not as if that little letter opener of a sword would actually stop me anyway" and winked at the gnome, still chuckling slightly.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "I don't think it was ever a letter opener. When I found it someone had used it to carve up a pig..."

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kyser notices the gnome with the sword and listens in. Well now, I may have something here. You don't carry that without being in something.
    The gnome's comment pushes a smile on her face. An evil smile.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bharash laughed again. "A pig, you say? And why was someone using a sword to carve up a hog? Seems like a strange choice of tool..."

He grinned wider. "I'll bet you, though, that you couldn't carve anything with it, much less a pig."

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kyser moves to the dragonborn.
    "Boys, I'll leave the little lady alone if I was you. She could cut her name and family tree into you knees before you could move for your weapons."
    She turns to the gnome.
    "How about I buy you a drink?"

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "Another?" She touches her face. "No, no makeup, and I don't smell rose petals. Are you in heat?"

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "No, just a drink among girls. Come on, I'm just interested in the story about your sword."

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bharash turned to the shifter with a quizzical look on his face. "And what makes you think she's so dangerous that she could best me?" he asked.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kyser doesn't even look at the dragonborn.
    "Women's Intuition!"

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bharash grinned again. "And why do you think she's so much more dangerous to men than she is to other women?"

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "Dear, you couldn't intuit a coin flip, let alone my trade secrets. Now by Sehanine's stars..." she leans close-in "...I'm not telling either of you."

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Something moves inside of Kyser, making her move. Her hand moves to her dagger, the dagger to his neck.
    I didn't do that! What the hell!
    "Because I know!" The words come from her mouth before she can think of them.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bharash growled, a low noise that is more reminiscent of his dragon ancestors than his humanoid form.

"Shifter," he said, "I don't know who you are or why you've got a knife at my throat, but I suggest you remove it. Now."

His eyes stared at her, cold and hard, as his right hand strayed to one of the small hammers on his belt, resting there.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nate barks at Kyser, "And just what the fuck do you think you're doing lady? There's no drawing weapons in this bar, put that shit away or I'll kick you out." He's in no mood to deal with this kinda shit, and he looks over to Bharash's weapons behind the bar.

He's not too worried, because a knife at his throat is one thing that Nate knows Bharash can handle, but still.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kyser removes the dagger. "Sorry. I lost my temper."
    I seem to be in control again. What was that?

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Similarly, Carlin suddenly appears behind her, a cool weight at the shifter's waist. "Let's all be friends, someone washed this floor today and I don't want to have to do it again with your severed tongue."

Seeing her back down, Carlin takes a step back, whatever it was disappearing.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Dragonborn looks at the shifter for one long moment before moving his hand. "Best keep yours in check, little shifter" he said, before turning to the gnome. "I can handle myself, but thanks all the same."

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Neither regards the proceedings without batting a lash. This isn't his fight or Sehanine's...yet.

"Temper, friends. Temper. That blade is a bit too close to me for comfort."

Sorry to miss all that. I was eating with the girlfriend.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Remember your mission! Control your "Beast."
    "Ok, sorry about that. Its hard for a lady to get respect around here. Especially from gladiator brutes."

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bharash shook his head wryfully. "Yeah, I know what you mean, most of them don't respect women worth a damn. Holding a knife at our throats ain't exactly a good way to get respect, though" he said, grinning again.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "Maybe it's their way of flirting, Dragonborn."

Neither chuckles softly.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "Leave one or two of them in the naked in the street and they learn to treat a lady right."
    Kyser smiles the sweetest she could.
    God, if I blow this, they won't even let me be at least a whore again.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "Ha, if you're leavin' 'em naked in the street, then they weren't much of a fighter to begin with, and you wouldn't want their respect" he said, grinning broadly and chuckling under his breath. "You're a feisty one, aren't you?"

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    She leans into Bharash and whispers in his ear.
    "Ive been called worst then that, love." And then leans back with a wink.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The dragonborn grinned at the shifter. "Well, that's a tale for a different day, I think. For now, let's drink to not killing each other" he said, draining his ale and ordering another one.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "I think I'm going to take a better listen to the bard. Take my seat, shifter."

Neither rises and makes for a seat closer to the stage, he's not learning anything by the bar. He makes a note of any characters or conversations on his way to the stage. Pulling up a seat at a relatively unoccupied table he settles in and glances about.

Esh on