As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I get a longboard?

DarwinsFavoriteTortoiseDarwinsFavoriteTortoise Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My classes this fall are on the opposite sides of campus...back and forth, back and forth. I've tried to use a bike around campus, but frankly its a bit of a hassle to have to find a place to lock it up, plus it is quite unwieldy in some sections of campus.

Would it be smart to get a longboard to travel around campus (and maybe just to ride for fun)? Specifically, heres the one I want:

Tell me this doesn't look AWESOME.

Is that good enough? Anything I should take into account?

DarwinsFavoriteTortoise on

• Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    While I can't say for sure if that's a good buy or not, one of the Amazon reviews for it is the best thing I've read all day:
    Bro, this is a nasty longboard that delivers a massive stoke!! I cruise down the pavement and wave to the ladies and they can't help themselves from waving back. They know I'm for real when I'm on this puppy! It's less forgiving than a skimboard at the wedge and more loving than a thai hooker.

:lol:

On a topical note, there are longboards which aren't quite as long as that, and something a little shorter may be a bit more practical if you have to cart it into a lecture hall with you.

Kris on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I longboard to classes on occasion. Sometimes it's kind of a hassle because there's a lot of pedestrians around, so you can't really skate at will. But, it does usually work pretty nicely.

Reckless on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think it was one of the most efficient and fun ways to get around to classes. The only real drawbacks are pedestrians, hitting a rock or huge crack and tumbling, and going uphill. Take a look at Sector 9's stuff, they have all sorts of good, quality longboards.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm pretty sure you've already checked this but just in case you havent, does your school even allow boarding or skating of any kind on their main campus? I say this because I would hate for you to buy this thing and end up not being able to use it. Technically my school doesn't allow it but I see people do it all the time anyway so I'm probably going to bring mine this semester, now my only problem is storing the board while in class (its about as tall as I am!).

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm pretty sure you've already checked this but just in case you havent, does your school even allow boarding or skating of any kind on their main campus? I say this because I would hate for you to buy this thing and end up not being able to use it. Technically my school doesn't allow it but I see people do it all the time anyway so I'm probably going to bring mine this semester, now my only problem is storing the board while in class (its about as tall as I am!).

I always prop mine up against a wall in the back or something. Professors don't usually mind as long as you get there before lecture begins.

Reckless on
  • Options
    Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Did this for a year or two in college, had the same problem as you. I would park near my first class, longboard to the next one or two and then come back to my truck. Just stay away from busy areas and you will be fine. Its faster to skate around them than pick up and walk through.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Original Skateboards has some great mini-longboards.

http://www.originalskateboards.com/

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you're in a highly populated area like a school, you don't want a longboard like that Surf One. They turn like tanks. Check out a pin tail, something a little smaller with some revenge trucks so you can turn on a dime.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    For the most part my campus has very wide walkways and is generally not packed, so turning on a dime isn't that important.

With that said, is it a good board?

I look at that freaking thing everyday...I'm so close to buying it.

• Options
    Napalm DonkeyNapalm Donkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If all you want to do is mostly commuting you'll be happier with a shorter board like this or if have some extra dough I would recommend this.

Napalm Donkey on
    4cgipuI.jpg
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wish I could get one, but the missus says I would look like an idiot trying to learn to skate at 25.

She would be right.

As usual :(

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lewisham - Nah dude, if you want to learn how to skate, just man up and learn. It helps to have some friends around that know what they're doing, but nobody's going to make fun of you if you're a rookie at 25. I'm 20 and just learning how to ice skate for the first time in my life, and the trick is to laugh your ass off at yourself when you do screw up. Maybe I'm weird, but taking a spill always makes me laugh really hard.

OP - Just for reference, here's the board I've got. It's a nice midsize perfect for campus. I don't think they make this particular board anymore, but the size is right. http://www.skatesonhaight.com/Sector-9-longboards-Makosa-Complete-p/s99mc.htm

Edit: Oh and as far as uphill goes, I usually just pick up my board and walk hills. I took a particularly nasty spill last summer that required some fairly invasive surgery on my pushing leg, so I try to skate as conservatively as possible now.

Reckless on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lewisham wrote: »
    I wish I could get one, but the missus says I would look like an idiot trying to learn to skate at 25.

She would be right.

As usual :(

Please Lewisham, ignore the missus this once. Reckless is right, learning to skateboard at 25 is no different than learning something else at that age. Using Reckless' example, what if you'd never ice skated before? Would your wife laugh at you for wanting to try to learn? Probably not. It's just that most people who've never skateboarded have this notion that skateboaring is only for kids and teens, and that once you're in your 20's it's "too late". Nonsense.

At least try. It's tons of fun. :)

Kris on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kris wrote: »

I want to try because:
    a) I've wanted to try for ages but haven't bought a board as I've moved country every couple of years for the past 6
    b) It looks like great fun

Does caring on a longboard feel like snowboarding (my only point of reference, despite living in Santa Cruz... nuts I know)? Should a beginner get a bigger one or a smaller one?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lewisham wrote: »

I want to try because:
    a) I've wanted to try for ages but haven't bought a board as I've moved country every couple of years for the past 6
    b) It looks like great fun

Does caring on a longboard feel like snowboarding (my only point of reference, despite living in Santa Cruz... nuts I know)? Should a beginner get a bigger one or a smaller one?

As far as specific longboard advice goes, the other guys from this thread can probably answer those questions for you better. I've only ever owned/ridden skateboards on a regular basis, and have just ridden friends longboards on the odd occasion.

I think I've settled on this guy here as my first longboard investment though, and will be ordering it up tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Kris on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I think I've settled on this guy here as my first longboard investment though, and will be ordering it up tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

That looks like exactly the board I'd want (from the Googling I've just done about it), so I'd love to hear how it goes. I think I will go to a shop tomorrow and have the guy there show me how to stand on one, to see what I might like in terms of length and flex.

EDIT: Missus reaction: "You're not a co-ordinated person and you'll kill yourself. Plus you'll never use it." We shall see ;)

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    To ease the wife's concerns, you may want to wear a helmet the first couple outings, at least until you don't feel like a total fish out of water. That feeling disappears pretty quick though. Also, longboarding is for cruising, so assure her you won't be throwing yourself down any handrails, or generally getting directly in harms way. :P

Kris on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Read title as Longbeard.

I recommend yes.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So, assuming I don't mind how big it is, and how quickly it turns, is it a good board (one in the OP)? I just want to know if it's of good quality, ie won't crumble beneath my feet, because seriously, that design is giving me a boner.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, Darwin, I have no idea what your price range is, but my buddy owns one of these, and it is fanfuckingtastic

Loaded boards generally are the top of the line

Like, literally, the top of the line

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Surf One decks themselves are ok but you're going to be spending more money getting actual trucks, bearings and wheels. The ones that come on Surf One completes are absolute garbage.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh and Lewisham, it helps to know the general geography of where you're skating. A few times I've been cruising around, found myself going downhill with no great way to shed off speed, and have had to bail in most unspectacular and unpleasant fashions.

Reckless on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    DekuStick wrote: »
    The Surf One decks themselves are ok but you're going to be spending more money getting actual trucks, bearings and wheels. The ones that come on Surf One completes are absolute garbage.

Does that really matter if I plan on just using it to cruise around campus? I'm not going to be speeding down hills or doing any tricks...

• Options
    edited July 2009
    DekuStick wrote: »

Does that really matter if I plan on just using it to cruise around campus? I'm not going to be speeding down hills or doing any tricks...

You'll have a better experience with better equipment, yeah. It's not completely necessary given you're just cruising around a bit, but I'd still want decent trucks/bearings on my board if I were in your shoes.

Reckless on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Reckless wrote: »
    Oh and Lewisham, it helps to know the general geography of where you're skating. A few times I've been cruising around, found myself going downhill with no great way to shed off speed, and have had to bail in most unspectacular and unpleasant fashions.

It's hilly in some places, flat in others. I intend to stay very flat for the majority of the time :)

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    The answer is yes. I recommend you try out a friend's longboard for a bit, if that is possible. I know I bought a cheaper longboard and wish I bought a more expensive one from the get-go. I ride a Sector 9 Padang with Gullwing Chargers, Sector 9 65mm 78a wheels, and Sector 9 Greaseball bearings (Which are shit, you can get some Bones Reds for cheaps); but I can still take hills and carve because I practice and practice. Rider not the board, but the board helps. Anyways, hills are nothing to be afraid of, they are most excellent.

You should learn the following before you bomb hills/go out in public:

How to stop: Several different ways to stop, most common when you're learning is the jump off and run method.

It isn't very safe, because if you're rolling faster than you can run, you're going to fall. That said, it is the most natural method. What you do is take your backfoot off first, that is super important. Kick your front foot on the board backwards so the board doesn't go flying away. Start running, but also slow yourself down, run towards the side of the road/grass.

Next most common method is the footbreak. It is one of the best for slowing yourself down under control and over a distance. You bend your front knee, take your backfoot off and bring it closer to the front. Lower it slowly onto the ground, heel first, until it is in contact. Then let your entire foot drag, slowing you down. It eats shoes pretty quick though. make sure your entire foot is down. This takes some practice, but it is worth it

The other method is the coleman slide. I've never done it, but look it up. It stops you in a very small space, but it is somewhat complicated. You'll also need harder wheels (These aren't necessary, but it is fucking hard without them) and slide gloves (these are necessary, unless you like your hand looking like a thriller reject)

I also recommend you learn how to fall. Because you will. Aim for grass, roll, and pray.

Phil G. on