As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heroes of Newerth (HoN) - ITT we stop buying the Runed Axe already!

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fuga wrote: »
    well you're supposed to get portal key to tp into their midst and stun those fuckers
    and then get a hattrick

is moon queen really better (/as a carry) than swiftblade?

We're talking specifically about how to not let him do that.

Moon Queen is a different kind of carry. Needs a lot more farm to be effective and is far more fragile. HoN is a little different since she can use new orbs, but I'm not sure if anyone's capitalizing on that enough.

She used to be a pretty decent pick in DotA, while she almost never gets picked anymore. Jug/Swiftblade still gets picked now and then in real games, depending on the lineup. He's got some very useful utility and a few nice lanes, while Moon Queen just farms a lot and tries not to get ganked until she's got her tier 3 or 4 items.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like writing stuff like "Miss ALL!!" and "Care map!" in All-Chat.

The other team always has the best reactions.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    And guess what? If you initiate on him Behemoth can't do fuck all. His HP is lousy and he can only run or blow his load on one hero and be useless.
    Blow his load on 'one' hero when his entire shtick is AOE damage/stuns? Yeah, okay.

Well that's the whole point. Force him into a situation where he CAN'T aoe stun your whole godamn team. It's not a complex concept. And an INITIATOR, who is the hero I'm suggesting initiate on him, has a way of disabling him and possibly even killing him, before he can do his shit. That's why they initiate. Behemoth is not an auto-win button.
    He's not an auto-win button but he's a top tier hero and frequently banned/picked. His AOE damage/disable is absolutely insane.

He's hardly helpless when initiated on either, seeing as he has a massive AOE stun in addition to decent survivability from being a STR hero.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    There are ways to beat him, and initiating on him is the best one after ganking him 20 times and preventing him from getting any items. Believe it or not, he does get beat, and there are ways to counter him other than a ban.

Saying that a herp can be countered and then saying how is not the same as saying they suck monkey nuts.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You can 'counter' any hero by ganking and focusing them down in team fights. But that's a cop out used to justify OP heroes, at least in my eyes. DotA/HoN's recent metagame has been hugely decided by heroes with powerful AOE disables and damage, and Behemoth is pretty much the king of AOE.

P10 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    There are good heroes and there are bad heroes, and most rotate frequently enough. DotA has 90+ heroes and about a third of them see regular high level play, and a bunch more are decent situational picks. There are plenty of lineups that ES/Behemoth doesn't belong in and plenty of games where he doesn't get picked or even banned.

There's also a reason you get an initiator on your team and don't play like retards. It's not a cop out to say that's how you beat Behemoth, because that IS how you beat him. And it does happen.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Klyka wrote: »

Eh heh heh heh. I like that.

edit: Wait, there are 90+ DOTA heroes? WTF would anyone pay 30 bucks for HoN then?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

edit: Wait, there are 90+ DOTA heroes? WTF would anyone pay 30 bucks for HoN then?

A better client for one.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    if you activate phase boots then cast a spell, the phase effect ends. Radiance doesn't give evasion anymore.

I'd personally get wraithbands over bracers and build yasha into a manta. I'd also get a diffusal blade for my orb effect over the cripple. The mana burn ups your damage and can prevent people from escaping/stunning as well, plus purge will slow them quite a bit.

Didn't know that for Radiance. Bracers > Wraiths (for me) to up Swifts low HP. Diffusial is a pretty nice orb too, as is Stygian Desolator.

Blowflu on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Man, but we have been OVER this.

In short, because they find the many, many other things that HoN brings to the table that DotA can't worth it.

Me? Because it works under Linux and is just about the only full, commercial game that I know that does PLUS it's wicked fun. Easily worth $30 there.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I knew HoN had less than DOTA. I just didn't know that HoN had so significant an amount of less.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So HoN will have 60, right? 30 Legion + 30 Hellbourne.
    And I'm sure they can easily add even more in the future.

I pretty much bought HoN for all the nice things it does compared to DotA (or rather, the WC3 engine) and because I believe in S2. They are a great team,they work around the clock and I have faith in them.
    People might say that is a stupid reason, but you know, I actually feel GOOD about having faith in a developer again.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'd rather have fewer heroes but better balance. There's a ton of heroes who are samey and boring who could be cut from DotA. Of course, it doesn't look like HoN is going to do that...

P10 on
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd rather have fewer heroes but better balance. There's a ton of heroes who are samey and boring who could be cut from DotA. Of course, it doesn't look like HoN is going to do that...

If they leave off pugna, I will not weep.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, considering that HoN doesn't look at all balanced and that one of the things that helps DotA's balance is that it has so many heroes, I think DotA will continue to have edge there.

And if S2's track record is any indicator should we be expecting HoN to become freeware a year after the official release? :p

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Saammiel wrote: »

If they leave off pugna, I will not weep.

I will! He is my favorite INT hero.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, considering that HoN doesn't look at all balanced and that one of the things that helps DotA's balance is that it has so many heroes, I think DotA will continue to have edge there.

And if S2's track record is any indicator should we be expecting HoN to become freeware a year after the official release? :p

It's essentially freeware right now. Anyone can get a beta key, and they've never announced a date for removing access for those who haven't paid.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'd think that they're asking the beta players to pre-order the game is a pretty good indication that they'll cut everyone else out of the full release.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    That's what I originally thought. However, I almost wonder if they don't have any concrete plans to set a date for the "full release" any time soon. In that case, they might just keep waiting, and waiting and as long as enough people "pre-order" they might never quite getting around to "releasing" and just slip into freeware status.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I see you're even more optimistic than I am. I can respect that.

o_O

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    CorakCorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Are there still beta keys to be had? Just stumbled upon this thread.

corakthemysterious@gmail.com

Otherwise... I'll just look and listen >.>

Corak on
    I live!
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    My most embarrassing moment in HoN was when the other team was shit talking me and I was defending myself, they all spammed Zeus Ulty!! but I thought it was my team so I hit it. Ya that was a fun 45 minutes of pure shit talking while we got shit on. Such a friendly community in this game.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    My most embarrassing moment in HoN was when the other team was shit talking me and I was defending myself, they all spammed Zeus Ulty!! but I thought it was my team so I hit it. Ya that was a fun 45 minutes of pure shit talking while we got shit on. Such a friendly community in this game.

Is it an EM game?

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChickenMcTestChickenMcTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Something about this game brings out the worst in people. But it's so fun. I love hearing "Rage quit"

I just wish they would change "Blood Bath" back to "H-H-Holy Shit!"

ChickenMcTest on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love being able to mute people with a single click.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Dis wrote: »

Is it an EM game?
    I have never played an EM game, I filter them out.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Is it an EM game?

Do EM games host more douchebags?

Shens on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shens wrote: »

Is it an EM game?

Do EM games host more douchebags?

Nah, that's jsut the DoTA community in general that moved over.

Although there are a good amount of DoTA players that aren't complete morons, they are outnumbered.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm a DOTA player.

I make it my business to not shit talk unless the other team decides to do it first.

Or if a shit teammate decides to blame his shit performance on the rest of the team or complain that we do something wrong - then they get shit on and hard.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm a DOTA player.

I make it my business to not shit talk unless the other team decides to do it first.

Or if a shit teammate decides to blame his shit performance on the rest of the team or complain that we do something wrong - then they get shit on and hard.

Perfectly acceptable.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    übergeek wrote: »
    I'm a DOTA player.

Perfectly acceptable.

Encouraged.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i played dota for a long time

course that was EM and i didn't know what i was doing... but it was fun!

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Man, I make it a point to never say anything in the chat other than "miss" "b" or "healing". Anything else is too likely to erupt in retarded.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The only time I shit talk in game is if someone is being extremely arrogant or racist, really.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So speaking of items, how do the more experienced players feel about the Hand of Midas equivalent (Alchemist Bones in HoN)? It looks like it got a buff from the DotA equivalent in that it now gives gold as a multiple of the base creep rather than a flat addition based on creep type like in DotA. So popping a the larger Minotaur fella gives about 204g. I got it on Predator, but not sure if it was a good move. I don't know that I would ever get it on any other hero.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Only good if you get it VERY early. Like, second item. And you have to use it every time the CD is up, or you're not getting max value and it's taking up a slot for no reason.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Only good if you get it VERY early. Like, second item. And you have to use it every time the CD is up, or you're not getting max value and it's taking up a slot for no reason.

It was the second item after marchers, and I was pretty good about popping it off any time I wandered by a neutral spawn or if I wasn't likely to get to a neutral spawn soon, a normal creep.

Also, Puppetmaster may be another one I would consider it on.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    After marchers is pushing it. I mean after your first lane items and maybe boots. If it's past 10 minutes then you're way too late.

Thing is, the more you spend gold just so you can farm so that you can get the items you actually need, the more you're delaying the game and giving the other team time to farm as well. And not being as valuable as you could be. Most characters have maybe one tier 3 or 4 item that they're building for, after that things are luxuries you get if you've got too much gold on hand or the game is obviously not going to end.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That's not perfect team play, that's common sense. It's DotA/HoN 101 -- don't clump up when there's an ES/Behemoth around, double that if he's got blink. You'd apply the same rules for a Legionnaire with blink, a Magmus with or without blink, or half a dozen other heroes who's sole purpose is to wreck clumps of enemies.

And guess what? If you initiate on him Behemoth can't do fuck all. His HP is lousy and he can only run or blow his load on one hero and be useless.

And any hero who farms early and isn't played by a retard can mangle whole teams of dumb pubs. That's the nature of the beast, and it says nothing about game balance.

Step 2 is to play a game where there are enough heroes so that everyone's got multiple counters. I.e.: DotA. :p

Also, HoN fails because you can't do this:

OGRE OWNED

That was glorious. <3

valiance on
  • Options
    ChickenMcTestChickenMcTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man I love Pollywog / Rhasta

Marchers, bracer, bracer, Storm Spirit (Eul's)

Cruise around the map at lvl 8 - 9 any enemy gets cycloned then I throw the serpent wards up around the cyclone. So easy, yet so gratifying.

ChickenMcTest on