As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Goozex Thread: Trade your old junk for somebody else's games

• Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wenchkilla wrote: »
    The demand for games confuses me sometimes.

Odin Sphere is a decently rare game, I thought, but I got matched up within 24 hours. I thought noone would EVER want King of Fighters: Maximum Impact, yet it didn't last a week in my queue. And I got inFamous with barely a wait at all.

On the other hand, it is apparently impossible to get rid of RE5 or Fallout (may end up trading them in - 91st in line? 105th in line? Jesus!), and I am destined to NEVER get Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga (27th on 360, 113th:!: on PS3)

The odd demand/request hiccups have a lot to do with people putting games on hold that they want or are trying to get rid of.

For example, I had Resident Evil 5 on my want list, and I went from long wait to receiving it in two weeks because the other 100+ people in front of me put it on the hold lists or denied the trades. Then, when I went to trade it, I wait 1st in line for 2 months, because right before I got matched up fro a trade, soemone else would move it fromt he hold to active trade and cut me in line. Hoenstly, Goozex could do a better job of the queuries, but it's a minor thing.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The queues are a little weird, but I understand why they don't do a sort of "real time updating" for your position in the queue. Ultimately it doesn't matter until you get a match, and putting a game up for sale and then putting it "on hold" should probably put you at the end of the line but it's only really an issue for games with a lot of offers.

I've found the demand to generally make sense. I've been able to get rid of a lot of older DS and GBA games which are probably a lot harder to find now, and stuff like Phoenix Wright is 300 points. Since it's based entirely on supply and demand (and not in an abstract sense, but literally in a "gamers have a supply of this game" sense), the games that are available or that sit for a long time are logical.

For example, stuff like Fallout is going to sit forever because Fallout GOTY is out now. Same with games that everyone bought up, like Prince of Persia and Mirror's Edge. Everyone bought them, played them, and now are done with them -- and the people who weren't interested aren't picking them up. It's exactly the opposite of, say, Demon's Souls, where a lot of people want to try it out but people didn't buy it because they were saving their money for the next big game. So there's a really long queue and it's moving glacially.

Some of their point values are a little screwy -- Flower is like 750 points, for, what, a $10 game? It's never been traded because of that. And games with low point values are attractive to buyers but, as cooljammer points out, they're not that attractive to sellers.

I personally like the idea of trading junky old games and movies towards new stuff that I really want, so I don't mind the slightly lopsided point values. And like STATE says, it's a great system for newish games that you try out but just end up disappointed in, because you can swap them easily.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know that I certainly put every game I own up for trade and on hold the moment I receive it. If I never want to trade it then no problem, if I do then I've probably got myself a much better place in line.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm glad Brutal legend is going for 1000 points because now I don't feel bad spending $60 on a game that I don't want to play anymore after putting only a few hours into because I just did not like it. I will probably pick up Dragon age: Orgins with them

I just did this yesterday. Coupled with the fact that I got a $10 Best Buy GC and a free Rock Band pack for buying Brutal Legend at BB, and then getting one playthrough of it and flipping it for 1000 points, I consider that a pretty good investment. :) I'll be saving the points for Bayonetta when it drops in January.

I've also had Batman AA and Dead Space Extraction on my wants queue for quite a while, but Batman is still at "long wait" and I don't think it'll move until mid-next year.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well you've convinced me to give this a shot. Sadly it's a bit riskier/more expensive to do this in Canada. I sent out two games today, and the post office told me it would cost a minimum of $12 to ship with any kind of delivery confirmation. So it looks like it's either trust everyone, or don't use the service. Well here's hoping!

Actually I've been using Ebay for years and I almost never ship with delivery confirmation, and I've never had anyone claim the package never arrived.

I did end up buying a game to trade though. I threw up Jake Hunter and it was accepted immediately. So I confirmed. Luckily I checked the case before throwing it in the package... the game is missing! I pretty much ripped my apartment apart searching, but that sucker is gone. This early in the game I don't want to risk a negative for cancelling so... I went and bought a copy just to ship out. Guess that will teach me to check everything before posting. D:

I use lettermail unless the person I'm sending to is new... and then I only use confirmation if it's a high value game.

So in the odd occurrence that I get matched up with a new user for a 100pt game, I decline it.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is sending out a 100 point game worth it? Someone actually wants a copy of Monster Trucks for the DS.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is sending out a 100 point game worth it? Someone actually wants a copy of Monster Trucks for the DS.

Well, you're not only getting rid of a game by sending it to someone who wants it but you're also paying just $3.00 for shipping and delivery confirmation to get 100 points as opposed to paying $5.00 to buy the points on the site.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    darunia106 wrote: »

Well, you're not only getting rid of a game by sending it to someone who wants it but you're also paying just $3.00 for shipping and delivery confirmation to get 100 points as opposed to paying $5.00 to buy the points on the site.

Net-gain of $2.00 and you get the warm fuzzy feeling that you're making some random internet-guy's day by trading him a game he wants.

Just signed up for this today and I'm sending out a copy of Batman: AA. When my points clear I'm going to try to get a copy of Demon's Souls.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »

Net-gain of $2.00 and you get the warm fuzzy feeling that you're making some random internet-guy's day by trading him a game he wants.

Just signed up for this today and I'm sending out a copy of Batman: AA. When my points clear I'm going to try to get a copy of Demon's Souls.

You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. When I can use my points to get Demon's Souls, that is.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I signed up and added a game to my sell list. Everything about this site seems legit.

Is it possible to add someone to my refer list or is it too late?

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The sweetness. My first shipment arrived today, with a +10 positive. The other two I sent should be arriving today as well (hopefully with equally rave reviews).
    Now I just have to wait for my other DVDs to creep up their lists. I've got a couple 2's, a first in line, then a 10 and a couple 20's.
    Yay Goozex!

e: Maybe I'm missing something, but how are downloadable games tradeable? When you DL a game on XBL, isn't it just on your HDD and tied to your account? Or is there some magical way I don't know about that you can actually transfer a download to someone else?

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The sweetness. My first shipment arrived today, with a +10 positive. The other two I sent should be arriving today as well (hopefully with equally rave reviews).
    Now I just have to wait for my other DVDs to creep up their lists. I've got a couple 2's, a first in line, then a 10 and a couple 20's.
    Yay Goozex!

e: Maybe I'm missing something, but how are downloadable games tradeable? When you DL a game on XBL, isn't it just on your HDD and tied to your account? Or is there some magical way I don't know about that you can actually transfer a download to someone else?

Once a game is downloaded it can't be traded, but people can gift you the game at the point of purchase, or might have spare download codes from a promotion or somesuch. Not exactly a common occurnence but no harm in having them on your want list.

I'm glad they're on the system as I use Goozex as my general games want list anyway.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.goozex.com/community/forums/t/54563.aspx#259037

Looks like the points after confirmed ship is official and will be implemented soon if not already.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    WiiWare games are great for Goozex, since you can actually "gift" them, whereas XBL games can't be code-purchased in Canada.
    http://www.goozex.com/community/foru...63.aspx#259037

Looks like the points after confirmed ship is official and will be implemented soon if not already.

I don't think Goozex is aware of the sheer amount of people who will simply hit "Confirm" as soon as the next pages loads after "Commit to trade."

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    WiiWare games are great for Goozex, since you can actually "gift" them, whereas XBL games can't be code-purchased in Canada.

I don't think Goozex is aware of the sheer amount of people who will simply hit "Confirm" as soon as the next pages loads after "Commit to trade."

It won't stop ass-hats. It will stop the well meaning lazy who accept the trade and then just completely forget they have something to post. Seems a small but worthwhile change to me.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It won't stop ass-hats. It will stop the well meaning lazy who accept the trade and then just completely forget they have something to post. Seems a small but worthwhile change to me.

But they specifically state it is a measure to stop the ass hats. Particularly, the ass hats who accept a trade, spend the points, then cancel the trade.

They end up with negative points, but who cares? It's not real money, and Goozex doesn't exactly have a "collection agency."

Figgy on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    But they specifically state it is a measure to stop the ass hats. Particularly, the ass hats who accept a trade, spend the points, then cancel the trade.

They end up with negative points, but who cares? It's not real money, and Goozex doesn't exactly have a "collection agency."

Maybe they can send that freaked-out lizardy thing they call a mascot after deadbeats.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Right, once you confirm, you can't cancel anymore, so in order to "cheat" you now need to eat negative feedback.

Maybe that won't be a big deal for some people, but previously you could dick around for a while and then cancel, completely avoiding any feedback and still have points. I get the feeling this was more of a "How do we prevent shippers from canceling?" and the solution was "well, if we do it after they confirm shipping, then we know that they're lying if they try to cancel. So that makes sense."

Now if people try to use points but don't ship a game, they get a neg, which gives Goozex more basis for action (whatever that is).

EggyToast on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    well if you do it enough your trades get limited and then you don't get your points until a successful transaction.

so it's kind of a problem that solves itself

freakish light on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So long Brutal Legend. Hello Oblivion: GOTY Edition and Infinite Undiscovery!

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I guess the new method just lets scammers scam less before they're finally outed.

Figgy on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So long Brutal Legend. Hello Oblivion: GOTY Edition and Infinite Undiscovery!

Shivering Isles, man, that's good stuff.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've sent 40 games with no problem and no delivery confirmation. Now, all of a sudden, two in a row mysteriously don't find their way to the buyer after I shipped them. I really don't want to start paying for delivery confirmation, but I guess it's my only weapon against liars and/or sticky-fingered deliverymen.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yikes, I hope you didn't lose too much money in sending out games into the aether.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Infinite Undiscovery is pretty lame. Should have gone for Tales of Vesperia.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Infinite Undiscovery is pretty lame. Should have gone for Tales of Vesperia.

I'm playing through Tales right now, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Figgy on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Goozex is the shit. It's been extremely helpful in finding awesome old PS1 games that are impossible to find otherwise, and I've been boning up my PSP collection for chump change compared to what I would be spending online.

I've got a copy of Tomba for the PS1 that I have been half-assedly trying to sell for a while online (I played it, beat it, and while it was fun, it just wasn't for me), but so far have had no bites. It's fairly rare (especially if it's complete and in good shape, which mine is). I don't use Ebay (too many friends with horror stories, and I don't need to buy anything that bad), and no one on craigslist is interested.

For the hell of it I check Goozex, and it's listed at 1,000 points, with the only offer being disc only, and fourteen requests for full package.

So a thousand points is basically $50, which seems decently fair considering if I sold it on ebay I'd get a little more than that, but would have to give paypal their cut, and deal with some random buyer instead of a legitimate company, and Goozex seems to be a lot better at handling disputes than Paypal is.

So it looks like I'm going to offer it sometime in the next couple of days and surprise the hell out of whichever member is first in line.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cytorak wrote: »
    I've sent 40 games with no problem and no delivery confirmation. Now, all of a sudden, two in a row mysteriously don't find their way to the buyer after I shipped them. I really don't want to start paying for delivery confirmation, but I guess it's my only weapon against liars and/or sticky-fingered deliverymen.

its like, another 20 cents or something for it if you use paypal to print shipping labels

ronzo on
  • Options
    JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Has anyone used the Goozex exchange program? Certain games have a "Buy now using Goozex points" option. I guess Goozex orders the game from amazon.com and it ships directly to you. I had about 3000 points I was sitting on, and CoD : MW2 was 2400 points brand new. I didn't figure the game into my budget for the month, so I figured I'd give it a try. I just can't find anything to indicate how long the game takes to ship though.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ronzo wrote: »
    cytorak wrote: »

its like, another 20 cents or something for it if you use paypal to print shipping labels

it's a lot more in Canada.

freakish light on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Has anyone used the Goozex exchange program? Certain games have a "Buy now using Goozex points" option. I guess Goozex orders the game from amazon.com and it ships directly to you. I had about 3000 points I was sitting on, and CoD:MW2 was 2400 points brand new. I didn't figure the game into my budget for the month, so I figured I'd give it a try. I just can't find anything to indicate how long the game takes to ship though.

Assume around a week, less than two. I got Uncharted 2 through this. Came in a BIG ASS brown shipping package, though, so be on the lookout for that.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Has anyone used the Goozex exchange program? Certain games have a "Buy now using Goozex points" option. I guess Goozex orders the game from amazon.com and it ships directly to you. I had about 3000 points I was sitting on, and CoD:MW2 was 2400 points brand new. I didn't figure the game into my budget for the month, so I figured I'd give it a try. I just can't find anything to indicate how long the game takes to ship though.

Assume around a week, less than two. I got Uncharted 2 through this. Came in a BIG ASS brown shipping package, though, so be on the lookout for that.

Awesome, that should give me enough time to finish up Borderlands and get a little further in Dragon Age.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah delivery conf is like $8 in Canada, so it's never worth it for stuff like this. Which sucks.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Brutal Legend is in the mail. I'm excited to try it out.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok I must be an idiot... I cannot figure out how to do a shipping label in Paypal. The only spot I end up is here:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_ship-center

or here:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_bulk-ship#

Do I have to use that multi-order shipping tool and pretend as if I got an order and fill it out there? Or is there an easier way?

datac0re on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You are correct, datac0re. Use the multi-order shipping tool, and click something like "create new shipment."

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You are correct, datac0re. Use the multi-order shipping tool, and click something like "create new shipment."

Thanks... now one more question. I don't see anything on the screen when choosing the parcel type where it says I can pick delivery confirmation. I picked "First Class Package/Thick Envelope" but I don't see the confirmation anywhere.

Edit: Nevermind, I see it now after I created the order. However, I do have one question - do you typically get insurance? Because with insurance my label cost is up to $4.01, which is more expensive than getting a label via Goozex.

datac0re on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It won't say. First class includes tracking, which is essentially delivery confirmation.

[EDIT]

I've never gotten insurance, and have never had any problems. It's a reasonable risk, in my opinion. After all, it's tracked, so you'll know wherever the thing disappeared and the postal service might investigate.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When it comes to insurance, I'd wager that the amount of effort you need to spend to actually get the USPS to pay out is almost never worth the cost of just replacing the damn item.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    K thanks for the help guys, I successfully got a label printed through Paypal :)

datac0re on