As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Joe Quesada: What's He Not Saying Now?

167891012»

• HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    When was the last time Cyclops' inability to control his powers was even important? From what I can tell, he's sort of left the role of the tragic figure to make way for Rogue and Nightcrawler and Beak.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    When was the last time Cyclops' inability to control his powers was even important? From what I can tell, he's sort of left the role of the tragic figure to make way for Rogue and Nightcrawler and Beak.

Well, he's accepted his handicap. The importance of it has primarily been the point Cyclops made in New X-Men back when he brought Shadowcat back to the team. Speaking to the group in the Danger Room, he remarks how he hasn't "looked anyone in the eye" since he was a kid. The visor operates to separate Scott from everyone around him, and in so doing it creates an emotional distance. In other words, it's not about a handicap, but simply about the nature of his relationships with those around him.

This theme has been played upon by some of the better writers - Whedon seems to love it - e.g. with Jean once telekinetically holding back his vision (back in the Phoenix era, I believe) so he could see her without the visor, or with Emma turning to diamond form so he could do the same (which was of course an homage to the Jean scene).

Arguably, the current arc in X-Men involving his lack of visor (for lack of powers) exemplifies this issue: suddenly he's open, his emotions raw and viable, to the point that he SHOOTS SOMEONE WITH A PISTOL.

mattharvest on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't know. Daredevil can't see at all, and lots of people are legally blind without their glasses. It's hard to see a visor as being much of a barrier between himself and the rest of the world given that.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Paniccia steps up to the plate for the Friday Q&A.

Holy shit, a WWH What If? :^: :^: :^:
    What-if-caeira.jpg

What If? New FF, with Spidey, Hulk, Wolverine, and Ghost Rider, with Jeff Parker on story duties. Als, What If? Civil War and Annihilation and some unnamed X-Men issue.

And that Heroes for Hire preview looks kick ass. Those guys are so fucked if they have to fight Hiroim and Korg.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    What if the ship explosion killed Hulk but not his wife(?)

graizur on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh hey. The Sentry is being hung by his cape.

:^:

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Oh hey. The Sentry is being hung by his cape.

:^:

Much as I approve of that, how the flying FUCK would she pull that off? Defeating the Sentry alone is already improbable for her, killing him? Ehhh...

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Dude.

It's a cover, generally they don't show the actual events of the book.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    First you insult my Catwoman/Cowboy Bebop fan-fic, and now this.

Blank...why you gotta be shattering my fragile equilibrium?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited July 2007
    Fuck you, Faye wouldn't touch Holly with a ten foot pole.

Oh what an excellent TOTP

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't know. Daredevil can't see at all, and lots of people are legally blind without their glasses. It's hard to see a visor as being much of a barrier between himself and the rest of the world given that.

I wear glasses. But if I take them off the people I look at don't die.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »

I wear glasses. But if I take them off the people I look at don't die.
    They just scream in terror.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007

I can still see your eyes through your glasses (and you, mine). Not so with Cyclops. Moreover, neither your lenses nor mine hold back absurdly powerful force-blasts that are capable of leveling mountains.

mattharvest on
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I can still see your eyes through your glasses (and you, mine). Not so with Cyclops. Moreover, neither your lenses nor mine hold back absurdly powerful force-blasts that are capable of leveling mountains.

Not with that attitude.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
    edited July 2007
    Reigner wrote: »

Not with that attitude.

Well, I guess optic blasts are a state of mind.

mattharvest on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    New Joe Fridays article is up at Newsarama. This time, it's editor John Barber who's answering questions while Joe-Q is still out.

http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFridays/NewBarberFridays.html
    Q: Twigglet 07-10-2007 07:12 AM

Now the sales reports are out, and Omega Flight doing so well, and I assume more stories written by Oeming waiting to be used, is it likely we'll be seeing more from Canada's primary superteam?

JB: I think it’s very likely we’ll be seeing more of Omega Flight. Can’t talk about specifics at the moment—but I have a nice, warm feeling that this won’t be the last we see of that team.

One thing I can talk about is that starting in issue 1 of Marvel Comics Presents—and running through issue 12—is a new serial called Weapon Omega, starring the new Guardian, Michael Pointer. The story is by Rich Kolslowski, the cartoonist behind Three Fingers and The King for Top Shelf, and his series from Image (and self-publishing) The 3 Geeks. The art is by World War Hulk: X-Men’s Andrea Devito. It’s going to be pretty amazing.

Rich and I were planning for him to do a story in MCP, but while his story was really great, the logistics of what made the story cool just weren’t fitting into the Marvel Universe. There’s more to it than that, but basically we were afraid that “fixing” the story to fit into continuity would take away what made it work, so I suggested that he hold on to that idea and maybe do it later. And I’d just inherited editing Omega Flight—both MCP and Omega I took over editing when Andy Schmidt left—so I thought, why not see if Rich was into doing a Guardian story?

And Rich nailed a great idea. Michael Pointer—he’s the guy who was possessed by the Collective in New Avengers and who killed Alpha Flight—is a great tortured hero, ripe for exploitation by those that would want to control him. And Rich ran with that idea—it’s some cool stuff.

In the story, Michael is still Guardian, but he’s operating as Weapon Omega, a sort-of one-man secondary Omega Flight team, under the auspices of forces within the Canadian government. Kind of like when he first appeared, Wolverine was Wolverine but he operating as Weapon X when they sent him against the Hulk.

But anyway—Rich’s story goes deep into the turmoil that is Michael Pointer’s life. If you dug Omega Flight, this story picks up about a month after the last issue of the OF limited series. And USAgent and some of the other Flight members play a big role, as well.

Q: tigerbill 07-10-2007 07:42 AM

When can we expect to see the first issue of 1985 - and how much of a guarantee will there be regarding regularity? We're hearing that Millar is in much better state health wise but I'm curious if any steps have been taken to remove the possibility of hiccups that might create delays.

Also - can you tell us anything about the format of the book?

JB: Mark Millar is totally done writing the series. All six scripts are in. He actually just this week rewrote a little of the last issue because he came up with a better idea. I spoke to him today, and he’s 1) doing great and 2) more excited about this series than I’ve seen him in a long time. And he’s always pretty excited.

As for any other delays: this is a case where we are definitely banking these issues up before releasing them. Tommy Lee Edwards is an amazing artist, and the art here is—I think—the best of his career. He’s working at a good, solid clip on the art. He’s penciling, inking, and coloring it himself, with the inimitable John Workman lettering it—by hand—so all that takes some time, but the quality is worth it.

So we’re actually going to make sure we keep our lead-time up and have this thing wrapped before the issues start coming out.

As to the format—each issue is 24 pages of story; six issues.

Q: Goon451 07-10-2007 07:53 AM

(Also, )is there any chance of Marvel giving open reader submissions a big chance again. MCP seems like an opportunity to make fans dream come true mixing stories written by star-writers one month then biggest fans the next.

JB: That is a great question.

The last time Marvel publicly asked for submissions, careers ended. Things did not go well.

That said, Marvel in fact does have an open submission policy. Marvel does accept submissions, as long as the submission is accompanied by the Marvel Idea Submission Form (http://marvel.com/company/pdfs/idea_submission_form.pdf), which basically indemnifies us so if you send an idea like “What about a story with Secret Wars-era Marvel heroes and the real world of the mid-1980s?” and we say “Well, we’ve been developing 1985 for a couple years, it just hasn’t come out yet,” you can’t sue us.

So, we do take submissions. But the thing is, being a fan of a comic doesn’t automatically make you good at creating comics. It doesn’t make you not good, either, of course. But being good at creating comics makes you good at creating comics.

To go back to Star Wars again, if you’re a Star Wars fan—if you’re the biggest Star Wars fan in the world—that alone doesn’t qualify you to direct a big-budget science fiction film. What it might do is create in you the drive work at your skills as a writer or artist, and work towards the goal of making a great film. Learn your craft, but more importantly practice your craft.

Get your comics out there. Create a comic, find somebody to draw it, put it on the web, self-publish it, get it to a smaller publisher, just get it out there. Get comics work under your belt. Show us you can do this. Not just that you have a kick-ass idea for a Spider-Man story, but that you have the drive and the ability to make comics—and that you have that special spark that makes you you; that perspective or that way of writing (or drawing) that sets you apart from the crowd.

Getting back on-track: I don’t think there’s anybody working in comics that isn’t a fan. And there is a huge mix of MCP creators that are talented creators that are huge fans that are brand new to Marvel. Rich Koslowski, who I mentioned above. Josh Fialkov, writer of the brilliant Elk’s Run. Actually, a lot of new creators, rubbing elbows with Mark Guggenheim, Stuart Immonen, Chris Gage.

So, basically, in answer to your question: okay, we’ll do it

Q: Crimson 07-10-2007 08:17 AM

Can you give us any more details on Marvel Comics Presents? Typical story length? Characters we'll see? Creators working on the book?

JB: 8-page stories per issue. There are two 12-part serials running concurrently, two 3-or-4-part serials that will run back-to-back and a bunch of single-issue short stories.

The first one’s by Marc Guggenheim and Dave Wilkins and tells the story of a secret team that operates deep within the Marvel Universe—and has some familiar faces in it. The other story is Weapon Omega written by Rich Koslowski, drawn by Andrea Divito.

Other than that, some of the stories are by creators you know—Stuart Immonen, Chris Gage, Ed McGuinness—and some are by rising stars. We’re opening up with a really cool Hellcat story by Stuart Immonen, co-written by his extremely talented wife, Kathryn. Stuart’s drawing this as he’s working on Ultimate Spider-Man, and he’s doing the work of his career. But not everybody knows what talented writers both of the Immonens are! The other multi-part story we have planned now is a great Savage Land 3-parter by Chris Gage and Joyce Chin

Stuart Moore and Clayton Henry are in the first issue with a really unusual Spider-Man story. I probably shouldn’t say much more about this one…After that, we’ve got a Taskmaster story where he goes head-to-head with a S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier. It’s a great story by M. Zachary Sherman with amazing art by Khoi Pham, from X-Factor. There’s a Namor story by Amanda McMurray and Roy Allan Martinez, a Stingray story by B Clay Moore and Lee Weeks, Tom Cohen and Mark Parsons writing and Ed McGuinness drawing something I can’t talk about yet, Barry Kitson will be here, Man-Thing by Jai Nitz and Ben Stenbeck, Deadpool by Jesse Snider and Marco Chechetto, the Thing by Nelson—I’m excited to see Nelson writing and penciling a story again, he’s “just” been one of the best inkers in the business for too long…Outlaw Kid by Josh Fialkov with art by Chris Moeller who’s just incredible and I’ve been a fan of for years…there’s more stories planned, but we ought to save some surprises for later…

NJF-JB000.jpg
    NJF-JB003.jpg
    NJF-JB005.jpg

Owenashi on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    God, Tommy Lee Edwards is fucking awesome.

Munch on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DOOOOM!!

august on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Munch wrote: »

Man, I am going to go read that Question mini he did right now.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited July 2007
    hughtron wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »

Man, I am going to go read that Question mini he did right now.

A wise decision.

question1gb5.jpg

question2zh4.jpg

Munch on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I really love the way that mini combined the mystic voodoo side with the objectivist crime fighter side. I can't even remember who wrote it right now. Was it O'Neil?

edit: some quick research shows it was Rich Veitch.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited July 2007
    The one thing I didn't like about the mini was that Vic went around murdering dudes at the drop of a hat. It wouldn't have been so weird if I hadn't read Huntress: Cry for Blood right beforehand, where Vic has a strict anti-killing stance. But the concept, art, and writing were all top notch.

Munch on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Long time coming, but some new words from Joe-Q on Newsarama...

http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFridays/JoeFridays_OMD.html
    NRAMA: A personal aside here - Joe, you first mentioned the broad strokes of what would become OMD to us in February of 2006, and quickly swore us to secrecy. We're a year and a half later - what took so long to get this from concept to the stands?

JQ: There were other hurdles that had to be crossed and several stories that had to be told to get us to this moment. Even Civil War played a huge roll in the developing events of OMD because it’s all a series of dominoes that had to fall before we got to this point.

NRAMA: What effect did drawing OMD have on your other work? Obviously, Joe Fridays got caught up in the deadline crunch, right? Were you able to keep a regular schedule on your other E-i-C stuff? Do your wife and daughter still know who you are? [laughs]

JQ: I’d be lying to you if I told you it hasn’t been rough. I missed out on a lot of summer and doing things with the family. I’ve probably been more exhausted than I’ve been in quite some time, but what really knocked me for a loop was convention season. Not only was it exhausting but I got pretty sick at the end of it. I’ve only recently recovered from it. On the bright side, my daughter has absolutely dug the fact that I’m drawing Spidey, coming in constantly to look over my shoulder. She knows most of the big characters names by heart and she’s now a full blown Marvel fan at the tender age of 6. There was a page I was drawing a while ago and she strolled in and asked, “Is that Doctor Strange?”

I had no idea where she learned that. Then she asked if he was a good guy or a bad guy, because it looked like he was being mean to Spider-Man.

I know, these stories are of no interest to anyone but me [laughs].

NRAMA: What went into Peter's body language with this issue on your side of things? He was frustrated and angry, obviously - how do you show that, artistically, without narrative boxes or dialogue?

JQ: Body language plays a huge part in it. But for that, it’s just a matter of saying the lines out loud and acting out the part and then translating that into the drawing. Outside of that, I do my best to communicate the story and the feeling behind the words through the use of shadow, panel structure and where I place the camera. I try not to overuse tricks like panel breaks and things of that nature (they always work best in small doses). To me, even the bleed space within the page is important. If you look at the first issue, you’ll notice that the hospital pages just use color on the full bleed beyond the art. Then as Peter begins his hunt for Stark and takes to the night air, the bleed goes to black, hopefully adding to the tension and the dark feel of what’s to come.

Then there are three moments in which I allow the art itself to bleed beyond the page (the page in which Peter punches Iron Man with his bare fist, the page in which we reveal Peter shooting his web wad on Iron Man and the final double page spread). The reasoning for me behind this is simply because I wanted those moments to be the big ones in the issue and by letting the art open up and go beyond the constraints that I set up during the entire issue, grid page after grid page. The hope is that, in a subconscious way, the reader hopefully gets the effect that I’m going for.

Yeah, I over-think this stuff too much.

OMD_2_PAGE_11.jpg
    SPIDER-MAN_2_PAGE_10.jpg
    SPIDER-MAN_2_PAGE_7.jpg

Owenashi on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    GODDAMNIT

Furu on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    what the sam crap