Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Ferrite Toroids/Beads

TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I want to do a little electronics hobbying, and I need a small ferrite toroid. I was disappointed to find that my two local RadioShacks didn't have them.

Am I likely to find them anywhere else (hardware stores, etc.), or am I going to have to order them online?

Taximes on

• KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User
    edited July 2009
    My understanding is that many computer cables have ferrite lumps around the ends of the cables. Maybe you could cannibalize one of those?

• TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm actually trying to do that at this very moment :P

The one I have though is not quite the right size/shape mostly because it's for a slightly different purpose (ferrite wrapped around cables is to reduce noise, and I want one to use as a core for a transformer), but I'm also going to check and see if I can find an actual toroid in something else.

i.e., the bead on the spare cable I have is about this shape:
    Spoiler:

And I need this:
    Spoiler:

• mkissinmkissin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There's generally a truckload of them inside newish electronic power supplies (so, anything built in the last 5 years or so like a cheap VCR or DVD player or whatever).

If you have a dead PC power supply or something similar, you can probably salvage one from inside it.