As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me choose Star Wars novels

jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
After playing through Forced Unleashed I have a Star Wars hankering. There are so many freaking books out there, where's a good place to start. I'm looking for maybe Post Rebel Alliance Jedi stuff.

jhunter46 on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    jhunter46 wrote: »
    After playing through Forced Unleashed I have a Star Wars hankering. There are so many freaking books out there, where's a good place to start. I'm looking for maybe Post Rebel Alliance Jedi stuff.

Start here.

Esh on
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Esh is absolutely correct. I started reading Star Wars stuff last summer, and Heir to the Empire was a good entry point. The Rogue Squadron series is good as far as I've read it (book 3), but I don't know if it stays consistent, because there are a lot of books in it.

If you want something that's not part of a series, Shadows of the Empire is pretty great.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "I, Jedi" is awesome

The Michael A. Stackpole stuff for Rogue Squadron (I think the first 5 books) are awesome

Shadows of hte Empire is fun.

I use to be a HUGE SW book nerd back in high school. You are pretty safe with stuff done by either Stackpole or Timothy Zahn iirc.

SideAffects on
  • Options
    SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Forgot to add the Dark Forces novella. The games are incredible too if you don't mind playing older games.

SideAffects on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Thrawn Trilogy is essential, the Hand of Thrawn Duology is pretty good. The X-Wing books (1-4 by Stackpole and especially the Wraith Squadron trilogy (5-7) by Allston) are gold. Most of the rest is rather mediocre to bad. The New Jedi Order series is not terrible and would keep you occupied for a while.

I like the 'Tales from...' series, too.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Timothy Zahn and Stackpole are really the two authors within the Star Wars novels to go with.

Keeping in mind that in terms of time line and continuity there are novels in between the Zahn and Stackpole novels.

The Truce at Bakura and Courtship of Princess Leia will deal with things a bit closer to the end of Return of the Jedi. So if you're a continuity freak you may be better off starting there. My experience has been that if you really liked Star Wars you'll probably find yourself enjoying most of the novels, at least up until New Jedi Order.

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    God Tier
    Shatterpoint (Heart of Darkness starring Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu)
    Wraith Squadron books (5-7 of the X-Wing series)
    Starfighters of Adumar (8 of the X-Wing series)
    Traitor (NJO)
    Star by Star (NJO)
    The Han Solo adventures (by Brian Daley, all 3 books collected in one novel)
    Behind Enemy Lines I/II (NJO)

Pretty Good Tier
    Most of the rest of the NJO
    Most of Legacy of the Force
    Most of the stories in the Tales of... series
    Rogue Squadron books (1-4, 9 of X-Wing series)
    I, Jedi
    Han Solo trilogy (A.C. Crispin)

Stuff that just doesn't do it for me
    Zahn-verse (too dry for my tastes, Mara Jade and Talon Karrde don't really do it for me)
    Republic Commando (too much oo-rah/Mando knobslobbing)

I will note that some of the old Bantam era stuff is worth reading for the sheer batshit-craziness going on, ie. Crystal Star, Courtship of Princess Leia, Darksaber).

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I will note that some of the old Bantam era stuff is worth reading for the sheer batshit-craziness going on, ie. Crystal Star, Courtship of Princess Leia, Darksaber).

Those books were literary abortions.

Anything by Zahn is good. The Rogue Squadron / Warith Squadron series, Wraith is better, but Rogue sets it up. Stover has good stuff, but I don't know if it's stand alone or not. The "Tales" books (Tales from Mos Eisley/Jabbas Palace/ New Republic etc etc) are pretty good short story collections that deal with lesser known characters.

Avoid everything else like the plague.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yup, like the previous posts, anything with Timothy Zahn's name on it is awesome. I loved the Han Solo books as well. Though, I stopped reading Star Wars when those weird aliens invaded the galaxy.

Dr. Gero on
  • Options
    nuclearalchemistnuclearalchemist Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zahn's are good, but I honestly think you're better off just reading those, and forgetting that the rest exist. I was a huge Star Wars nerd in High School, but I eventually got over that. The problem with the Star Wars universe is that there is a TON of shit out there.

Avoid Darksaber. Its been said before. The Crystal Star is also terrible.

nuclearalchemist on
    ~Eigen-fleichen
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Have you read The Force Unleashed novel? It's a brisk and fun read. I've never played the game, but I enjoyed it quite a lot.

If you want a good prequel to The Force Unleashed, check out Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno. It takes place directly after Revenge of the Sith, and features Vader establishing himself and beginning to earn his reputation.

Saddler on
  • Options
    ElrosstElrosst Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dr. Gero wrote: »
    Yup, like the previous posts, anything with Timothy Zahn's name on it is awesome. I loved the Han Solo books as well. Though, I stopped reading Star Wars when those weird aliens invaded the galaxy.

Ditto. Zahn is good stuff, Courtship of Princess Leia and Truce at Bakura are both good starting points. Also, I happen to like the Bantam-batshit craziness :P For some reason, I can't stand any of the new-ish (when the Solo kids are grown up) stuff. Give the graphic novels a whirl too; the Dark Empire books are great.

Elrosst on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Not all of these are Post Rebel Alliance, but you should read them anyway.

Death Star by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry. Great addition to the canon.

Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry. Everyone knows this one. Classic. Video game was pretty fun, too. :)

The Coruscant Nights trilogy by Michael Reaves.

Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor by Matthew Stover.

As mentioned, anything that involves Rogue Squadron is good. The Thrawn Trilogy and The Jedi Academy trilogy are worth reading. I also read the Young Jedi Knights series when I was younger and, though they are for a younger audience, they're still well written.

I've also read everything from the New Jedi Order series on, up until the current Fate of the Jedi story arc. Start here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_Prime) and just start reading. That should fix your post Rebellion hard on. :)

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm by no means an insider of the Star Wars publishing world etc. but my understanding is that there are several noticeable points at which Lucas or those higher up the totem pole than the authors essentially aborted or negated given plot lines or even entire books, or at least their relevance.

Crystal Star would be an obvious one where it conflicted with the Zahn introduced love interest for Luke Skywalker. So the competing character was quickly written out and Crystal Star was even further made irrelevant beyond just being kind of a low end Star Wars novel.

Other things that take place in the NJO series are what made me stop reading the Star Wars series, and I'm a guy who has just about everything from 20 years before New Hope to about 20 or so years out from Return of the Jedi, somewhere in the middle of the Vong invasion. Things where Lucas or his cronies essentially decided that the readership wasn't smart enough to handle two characters named Anakin with different last names.

Really I think for me the Hand of Thrawn duology would've been a fine stopping point. As for the starting point I didn't mind Truce at Bakura and Courtship of Princess Leia. Some of the Star Wars novels are great, don't get me wrong, but to expect them all to be stellar examples of Sci Fi is setting yourself up for disappointment. Aside from Zhan, Stackpole and Crispin I view most of the novels as I would like a Saturday morning cartoon show or comic book, something that amuses me and fills that little yearning I have for Star Wars.

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Must Read Immediately

Rogue Squadron 1-4
    I, Jedi
    Anything by Timothy Zhan

Read When You Have Some Spare Cash

Rogue Squadron 5-9
    Republic Commando 1-4

I was a huge Star Wars nerd in high school and I read every Star Wars book I could get my hands on. I still have a nerdgasm for Rogue Squadron and I'll re-read the entire Rogue Squadron series about once a year. I finished all of the Republic Commando books this last year on a whim; they're easy books to get through but won't really satisfy you if you're looking for serious literature.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zahn, Stackpole, Allston. All of their novels are sane and entertaining. (Isard's Revenge is a little weak though.) Out of all those, I think Zahn is most "required", with the caveat that the more recent book he wrote about Outbound Flight (forget the title) was lame.

New Jedi Order is addictive, and some are well-written, but it's also really dark and doesn't represent much of the things that I like about Star Wars.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Most of the good books have been brought up.

My personal favorite is I, Jedi.

If you plan on reading a lot of star wars books, immediately after the Thrawn trilogy, read the Jedi Academy Trilogy. It happens almost immediately afterword, they aren't great books, but they set up a lot of the characters, plots and locations for later books.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Outbound Flight (forget the title) was lame.

Lies. The only lame part was that they shoe horned Anakin and Obiwan into it. The rest was awesome.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stover's books are pretty much the main bright spot since Del Rey took over. His book in the NJO isn't standalone, but the others shouldn't require much background to read.

The Darth Bane series is also pretty good, they're done by the lead writer for Mass Effect, Drew Karpyshyn

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Read the Darth Bane trilogy of novels. It takes place before the movies in the Old Republic era, so you don't have to deal with the movie characters being forced into everything. It's very well-written and told from the perspective of a Sith Lord, which is always fun. Any book that has you cheering for an evil son of a bitch, has to be pretty damn good in my opinion. It really explores the ideology and mystique of the Sith Order, and is just a really fun read.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Let's see...

The X-Wing series is possibly the best thing out there. Books 1 - 4 (The "Rogue Squadron" arc consisting of Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, The Krytos Trap, The Bacta War) are really good, but I kind of waffle on that and the Wraith Squadron series (books 5 - 7, consisting of Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, and Solo Command), as the best.

Book 8 (Isard's Revenge) is a pretty good wrap-up to a couple of story arcs from the first four books.

Book 9 (Starfighters of Adumar) is pretty good. It's practically a stand-alone story, though.

I'd also recommend I, Jedi as it ties in with the first four X-Wing books.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    SilvertreeSilvertree Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If there wasn't enough suggestions so far, read the Timothy Zahn books. Zahn really captures the spirit of the universe in my opinion.

Other than Zahn, my feelings have ranged from less than impressed to outraged. If I ever meet R.A. Salvatore I will shake his hand for his Drizzt books and then kick him in the balls for his "Star Wars" books.

Silvertree on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    New Jedi Order is addictive, and some are well-written, but it's also really dark and doesn't represent much of the things that I like about Star Wars.

I liked how the NJO series was a bit darker. Without the deaths and overwhelming odds placed against the good guys in that series (like their Force powers flipping out on them and depriving them of one of their greatest strengths), the series would have been boring. The Vong were a significant threat and one of the better enemies to ever be featured in the expanded universe books. Some of the books in the series seemed to artificially stretch the story out, but it was entertaining overall.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Silvertree wrote: »
    If I ever meet R.A. Salvatore I will shake his hand for his Drizzt books and then kick him in the balls for his "Star Wars" books.

Dude was a bouncer, he'd probably go all Conan on you :lol:

Dr. Gero on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dr. Gero wrote: »
    Silvertree wrote: »
    If I ever meet R.A. Salvatore I will shake his hand for his Drizzt books and then kick him in the balls for his "Star Wars" books.

Dude was a bouncer, he'd probably go all Conan on you :lol:

Drizzt is the biggest goddamned Mary Sue I have ever seen. But that's off topic.

Whoever said the Coruscant Nights series is right. It's Star Wars noir. Star. Wars. Noir. Fantastic.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Whoever said the Coruscant Nights series is right. It's Star Wars noir. Star. Wars. Noir. Fantastic.

Sold. I'll have to check those out.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Timothy Zahn and Stackpole are really the two authors within the Star Wars novels to go with.

I personally would go only with Zahn. Lot of stuff that Stackpole has introduced have been downright retarded. I also don't like the ridiculous superweapon creep in the later stories.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    elkatas wrote: »

I personally would go only with Zahn. Lot of stuff that Stackpole has introduced have been downright retarded. I also don't like the ridiculous superweapon creep in the later stories.

Later stories? I think superweapons have been toned DOWN since the mid 90s. (Suncrusher, anyone?)

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Darksaber Eww ewwwwwww

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh man Suncrusher, that one dude force pulled it out of a fucking sun or something like that.

I read in a wiki that some Jedi was able to bring back someone from the dead. That's kinda ridiculous.

Dr. Gero on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As has been said, Rogue Squadron stuff is pretty good, Wraith Squadron stuff puts it up another level.

Think of Rogue/Wraith as KOTOR/KOTOR II. In one, everyone gets along and goes on galactic adventures and the good guys are attractive and can lead and are articulate and everyone is happy in the end and Carth can trust again and Bastila can love, Wraith squadron Kreia is a lying bitch, the fucking droids fight on the ship, and everyone dies alone.

Khavall on