As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend On] my first smartphone

RiusRius Globex CEONobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm always a few generations behind when it comes to cell phones. Currently I'm using a Razr and I have AT&T; my contract is up on October 5th.

I'm headed to PAX this year, and I've been thinking on and off about getting a new phone before then. One with internet, gps, a decent camera, etc etc. I'd get an iPhone, but I really think I'd like a full keyboard. If I can avoid canceling my contract with AT&T, that would be great.

Are there good smartphones out there other than the iPhone, G1, and the endless blackberries? Those are all I ever hear about, and browsing through them gives me headaches =)

Mostly I want to be able to access the internet and send texts/emails smoothly through my phone.

Rius on

• Options
    RyanReddRyanRedd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    iPhone is da best.

RyanRedd on
    That's good. That's a good one.
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    I have a Nokia E71, and I think it's really solid. Just realize that you aren't going to get an iPhone or Pre level of user experience out of it. Once my company stops paying my phone bills, I'll probably be getting an iPhone.

Everyone I've talked to has said that you get used to the iPhone keyboard pretty quick - it correct spelling mistakes for you so you don't actually have to backspace over errors all the time.

If Sprint coverage is okay in your area, you could look at a Pre.

Doc on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What about browsing on the mentions smartphones gives you a headache? Your other option common option is something Windows Mobile based. I can't remember what one AT&T has available at the moment, something from HTC, and possibly some version of the Samsung Blackjack. I had an HTC 8125 with Windows Mobile 5 for a couple years, it was usable, but the UI is light years behind my G1 in usability, imo.

Jimmy King on