As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Goddamnit, here's yer [chat]

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Bass is the only instrument I can play on Expert in Rock Band. Well, singing, but singing on Expert level is no fun because the program is such a bitch about you being exactly right about everything.

My friend just holds the mic up to the TV speakers and gets 100%. Meanwhile, I'm getting finger cramps trying to play Queens of the Stone Age on hard guitar.

Queens of the Stone Age songs are stupid painful to play. They are not difficult so much as they make one's hand hurt.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bass is the only instrument I can play on Expert in Rock Band. Well, singing, but singing on Expert level is no fun because the program is such a bitch about you being exactly right about everything.

My friend just holds the mic up to the TV speakers and gets 100%. Meanwhile, I'm getting finger cramps trying to play Queens of the Stone Age on hard guitar.
    Well that's no fun either.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Also, Elki. I saw your post about Queer as Folk. If it's the limey one, it's great and I really highly recommend it. It's specifically about the fun of being gay, and about everyday sorts of drama (relationships, jobs, etc), instead of the usual self-loathing melodrama about being oppressed and having AIDS. It's also a really interesting portrait of the place and time that it's about (early-90s Manchester).

I haven't seen the US one, but I hear it is a lot more emo and wrist-cutty and all that sort of crap.

American. I guess I'll ignore it for now.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

Queens of the Stone Age songs are stupid painful to play. They are not difficult so much as they make one's hand hurt.

That's a good way to describe it. Like "Little Sister," I ace everything except the chorus, which I invariably fail miserably. It's such a weird change-up.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I completely suck at rock band. Easy usually kicks my ass on guitar. And I can usually get above 95% on medium with bass.

Are you retarded?

Edit: I'm half serious in that question. I have compiled a list of the skills which are required to play Rock Band.

- Hand / Eye coordination
    - A sense of timing
    - (something else)

I have many friends who have the first two but lack the "something else". So I'm wondering if this is a new kind of mental disability that has been evidenced by people sucking at Rock Band.

I start having trouble with drums around medium.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

That's a good way to describe it. Like "Little Sister," I ace everything except the chorus, which I invariably fail miserably. It's such a weird change-up.

No One Knows, from Guitar Hero 1, was a pain in the ass. It's not difficult; it just hurts.

_J_ on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Also, Elki. I saw your post about Queer as Folk. If it's the limey one, it's great and I really highly recommend it. It's specifically about the fun of being gay, and about everyday sorts of drama (relationships, jobs, etc), instead of the usual self-loathing melodrama about being oppressed and having AIDS. It's also a really interesting portrait of the place and time that it's about (early-90s Manchester).

I haven't seen the US one, but I hear it is a lot more emo and wrist-cutty and all that sort of crap.

Have you watched all those movies you got? You got like the freaking bumper crop of awesome. Once Upon a Time in the West is one of my favorite movies ever, and Becket is great just to watch those two incredible actors. And the end of F for Fake left me :shock:

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I completely suck at rock band. Easy usually kicks my ass on guitar. And I can usually get above 95% on medium with bass.

Are you retarded?

Edit: I'm half serious in that question. I have compiled a list of the skills which are required to play Rock Band.

- Hand / Eye coordination
    - A sense of timing
    - (something else)

I have many friends who have the first two but lack the "something else". So I'm wondering if this is a new kind of mental disability that has been evidenced by people sucking at Rock Band.

I start having trouble with drums around medium.

The odd part about these games is that they are the simplest damn things ever.

"there is a green note. Hold down the green button. Strum when the note is in the circle."

That's all there is to it. Yet I have met people who cannot play "I Love Rock and Roll" on easy. I do not know what the hell is wrong with them.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    One of my friends plays the bass. He said he has a ton of trouble playing bass parts on Rock Band for songs that he actually plays.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I recall encountering the same phenomenon with DDR, _J_.

I mean, I can see having issues even on Easy, particularly if you do the "stand in the center and only push arrows when they appear on the screen" thing. But on Beginner? It's like one arrow per measure, find the beat and push the arrow.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    the problem is most people at least starting out try to play the game visually which will fuck you up every time
    you gotta feel the music and anticipate the notes
    in doing so you can ignore that line that the notes cross where you're "supposed to strum/step/hit/ whatever" and just pay attention to the flow of the notes at the top of the screen

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    A lot of the time, my brain can do it, but my legs or hands just don't function how I want them to.

And then there are the times when my brain just doesn't get it but my hands find the right buttons to press anyway. Weird.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    the problem is most people at least starting out try to play the game visually which will fuck you up every time
    in doing so you can ignore that line that the notes cross where you're "supposed to strum" and just pay attention to the flow of the notes at the top of the screen

I have a friend who plays with the game muted. The music screws him up.

As he said, "It's like mario brothers. You push the buttons you are supposed to push when you are supposed to push them."

Yeah. That's Rock Band / Guitar Hero.

_J_ on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Elki wrote: »

Have you watched all those movies you got? You got like the freaking bumper crop of awesome. Once Upon a Time in the West is one of my favorite movies ever, and Becket is great just to watch those two incredible actors. And the end of F for Fake left me :shock:

No, just Brotherhood of the Wolf. I'll watch the Departed next, because my dad might want to watch some of them with me tomorrow, and he's already seen that.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Actually, sometimes I have trouble on the easier settings because they drop notes and I try to play things that don't actually occur.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Eh, bedtime I think.

'Night [chat].

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Departed is good times. A lot of movie dudes rag on it because it's not Scorsese's best movie, like he's supposed to knock out Taxi Driver or Goodfellas over and over, but on its own terms it's a lot of fun.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    in doing so you can ignore that line that the notes cross where you're "supposed to strum" and just pay attention to the flow of the notes at the top of the screen

I have a friend who plays with the game muted. The music screws him up.

As he said, "It's like mario brothers. You push the buttons you are supposed to push when you are supposed to push them."

Yeah. That's Rock Band / Guitar Hero.

he must have pretty good reaction time
    I find playing on the line is basically an entire game of reaction and "catching up" (even if you're not really behind)
    If you listen to the music and are able to just see the song, then you can keep yourself from getting to that level billion tetris blocks insta-falling feeling and just play the song naturally

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can expert bass on rock band, and I can only do hard on guitar on the first half of the songs, easier stuff.

but really this doesn't have anything to do with the actual instrument.

edit - I've never sung on it. I've sung in front of lots of people but for some reason in a room with friends I clam up and never want to.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Departed is good times. A lot of movie dudes rag on it because it's not Scorsese's best movie, like he's supposed to knock out Taxi Driver or Goodfellas over and over, but on its own terms it's a lot of fun.

agreed.

but I don't like Goodfellas. I prefer to say I haven't seen it because I don't know why it doesn't click for me, I feel like I'm missing something.

but Taxi Driver... yeah. It's not Taxi Driver, but Departed is finefinefine.

Variable on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A dog licked me last night. Am I pregnant now?

Gim on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Gim wrote: »
    A dog licked me last night. Am I pregnant now?

Man, probably. If that abortion thread is any indication then we have no idea, at all, ever of where babies come from.

/grats on the baby

_J_ on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The universe is a lie.

It gets hotter at night.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The universe is a lie.

It gets hotter at night.

Open windows, place fans in front of windows...and dont sleep on the bed.

Everyone and there mom in washington is complaining about the heat...am I the only one who likes it?

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    1: Damn. I don't want a litter.

2: Of course Jewcar. During the day we're only pointed towards the sun. But at night we're pointed at like thousands of suns. It's basic maths.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The universe is a lie.

It gets hotter at night.

So we're all going to die.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Done everything except sleep on... what, magic clouds?
    Everyone and there mom in washington is complaining about the heat...am I the only one who likes it?

Do you have any idea how much hair and body heat I have?

There's a reason I was so happy that Seattle was a cold and miserable place.

I am a sentient electric blanket.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Variable wrote: »

agreed.

but I don't like Goodfellas. I prefer to say I haven't seen it because I don't know why it doesn't click for me, I feel like I'm missing something.

Goodfellas is hard to watch. I don't like mob movies or mob stories, in general. Watching shitty, nasty people do nasty, shitty things to each other and bully the innocent people around them is hard. I find myself fidgeting and wishing the Punisher would just show up and kill them all.

That said, it's a technically brilliant movie, and has a lot of memorable characters and quotable dialogue, and the cast is a who's who of great character actors. But of his movies, I would prefer to watch After Hours or Bringing Out the Dead (totally underrated) any day.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I should buy like an alligator hair clip or something.

My lovely hair is trying to murder me.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    lease.png

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Silly question, why linoleum of course.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Silly question, why linoleum of course.

So basically my options are heat stroke or back aches? :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Once again, jacob demonstrates his refined taste in movies; this time by voicing an appreciation for After Hours.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Variable wrote: »

agreed.

Goodfellas is hard to watch. I don't like mob movies or mob stories, in general. Watching shitty, nasty people do nasty, shitty things to each other and bully the innocent people around them is hard. I find myself fidgeting and wishing the Punisher would just show up and kill them all.

That said, it's a technically brilliant movie, and has a lot of memorable characters and quotable dialogue, and the cast is a who's who of great character actors. But of his movies, I would prefer to watch After Hours or Bringing Out the Dead (totally underrated) any day.

I want to agree with that because usually starting around the scene where the woman with pesci compliments the performer and everyone is all disgusted I start to completely hate the characters. But I do like The Godfather plenty, although I don't know how much it's the same thing.

I can't argue with the dialog being great... I love hearing quotes from it, and you do all the time because everyone knows lines from it even if they haven't seen it. I actually read a bunch of debate over it at the filmspotting forums (a podcast I had mentioned once before) and they did have a lot to say about it from a technical POV. maybe I just couldn't get past the characters... that does happen to me from time to time.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I should buy like an alligator hair clip or something.

My lovely hair is trying to murder me.

lumaxad.jpg

Gim on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I want a chillow.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Once again, jacob demonstrates his refined taste in movies; this time by voicing an appreciation for After Hours.

Admittedly a lot of that is to do with my refined taste in Linda Fiorentino.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    I want a chillow.

Chai pillow?
    Chilled widow?
    Chicago billow?
    Child LoJack?

Gim on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The fuck is a chillow?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's a pillow with one of those soft icepacks inside so it stays cold.

Feral on

This discussion has been closed.