As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Time to split! Timesplitters Appreciation

Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I never played the first one so I can't comment, but Timesplitters 2 is probably my favorite FPS, ever. I know that's pretty bold, but it's damned good.

Timesplitters: Future Perfect wasn't terrible either, but I got the feeling that it was trying to be more like Halo and Half-Life with the vehicle sequences and gravity gun puzzles, and that's not really what I wanted out of the series. The single-player portion wasn't terrible though, don't get me wrong. What it lacked in level design, quality music, and weapon balance it made up for with character development, a coherent plot, damn good dialogue, and some cool sequences where you interact with future and past versions of yourself.

With that said, TS2 had the Russian level. That level ranks right up there with the cabin fight in RE4 as being one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. Take that as you will.

Also, let's not forget the level builder. I don't have a lot of mod experience or anything, but this thing was really fun to use and is everything I could possibly want from a level builder. I just wish that TS:FP had all the tile-sets and songs from TS2 so I could port my old levels.

So if you care to post go right ahead. If you can, post pics of the levels you've built so that other people can build them.

Drunk_caterpillar on

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fuck the spy and robot factory levels on hard mode. Fuck them right in the ASS. I swear, they nearly made me and my friend kill each other doing it on co-op. On the plus side, we had lots of fun on multi-player just doing virus with full bots and trying to see how long we could last and beating hard mode gave us another map to play on.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Gilder wrote:
    Fuck the spy and robot factory levels on hard mode. Fuck them right in the ASS. I swear, they nearly made me and my friend kill each other doing it on co-op. On the plus side, we had lots of fun on multi-player just doing virus with full bots and trying to see how long we could last and beating hard mode gave us another map to play on.

I've been trying to beat the robot level on hard for ages, just so I can finally get the last game cart for the wrist radar thing.

OH! That's the other thing that was awesome about TS2. Friggin' snakes and lunar landing.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    timesplitters-future-perfect-20050316060602096-000.jpg

Fantastic game. Multiplayer was a blast and any game with co-op = win. Who else laughed when they seen the pic the Time Assassins had up of Cortez?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ghosts!?

Ranced on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Gilder wrote:

I've been trying to beat the robot level on hard for ages, just so I can finally get the last game cart for the wrist radar thing.

OH! That's the other thing that was awesome about TS2. Friggin' snakes and lunar landing.
    Me and my friend love playing Anaconda. It's stupid fun. It also took us about 3 hours to beat the robot level on hard. You know the beginning area with the laser? Well, our strategy was to lure every robot possible back to it and have the laser either kill them or weaken them so we could finish it. We still died about 400 times before we finally hit the checkpoint.

Gilder on
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Timesplitters, future tokyo, follow mission, fuck you game.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing Leo Krups' muffled screams as he runs around on fire.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one here who tried to replicate goldeneye levels in the editor. Although it never had quite the right tiles.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I only played TS: Future Perfect. Beat it, too.

Good game.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I own Timesplitters 2 for GC and Timesplitters 3 for X-Box. Had some good time with both games, especially in coop and deathmatch. However, those games didn't even got close to Golden Eye and Perfect Dark in terms playability, replay value and pure awesomeness. Don't get me wrong, the Time Splitters series ist still good for what it is, but god I wish there would have been any outstanding FPS for the Gamecube, like back in the good ol' N64 days.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I own 1 and 2 and have played 3, all for the ps2

1 has awesome multiplayer beyond belief but terrible single player.
    2 has very good single player and still-very-good-but-not-as-good-as-one multiplayer (why remove the option to have 4 teams? WHY? and team bagtag was the best mode!)
    3 has great single player and great multiplayer. I like driving the vehicles.

o btw, ts1 - 100% on everything. DAMN that game was hard.

malerik on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Time Splitters 3 (may have been 2) is probably the most fun multiplayer game I've ever played, bar none. I'm a PC gamer, don't much like gamepad FPSs, but for some reason the fact that the multiplayer wasn't a split-second twitch fest that mice games become took it from great to awesome.

Running through narrow corridors and rooms carrying nothing but a rocket launcher, with cheesy Mexican-esque music playing in the background, and laughing your ass off when you die instead of feeling frustrated by it? Pure gold.

Glal on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Axen wrote:
    She amused me. She handled that whole chapter way too well, and that cracked me up.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    My friend and I were playing co-op, and we got to the level with her, and when I first saw her, I was like, "Hey slut," and then the camera panned out to where you could see her shirt and we just busted out laughing.

TS2 and FP are awesome.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Axen wrote:
    She amused me. She handled that whole chapter way too well, and that cracked me up.

"Uggghh, After this I'm totally going to need therapy"

Classic. I love the series, and I thought the single player in Future Perfect was pretty awesome. Being the first to have an actual factual plot (two's "Quantum Leap"-esque story was cool, but it wasn't really a story), I thought it was really well written. And the TimeSplitters series I think has hands down the most multiplayer characters I have ever seen in a console game. You can really see how so much of the multiplayer design was inherited from the Rare shooters when Free Radical split off.

If any of you have the PS2 version, you can check out a map I made and uploaded. It's called "Shudder", and I think it's pretty badass.

It's called "shudder" because when it was originally being built, it was an outdoor military themed map, but it's huge areas absolutely slaughtered the framerate. So I cut it down, and turned it into an indoor egyptian level, and now it plays very smoothely. I have an Xbox now, so I was thinking about getting the Xbox version, but I've heard that there really aren't any reasons above slightly (very slightly, from what I've heard) upgraded graphics and four player without a multitap. Although being able to save parks to the HDD would be nice. I've got a PS2 HDD so it was never an issue for me, but havine a 1,300kb file on your 8MB memory card might cause an issue if you're one of the many people who don't.

Einhander on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Funny game.

And not many games make you laugh as much as the Timesplitters series, especially TS2.

TS2 was amazing. I spent so much time in the MP just dicking around with Monkeys only timed mines only. Or that asteroid level with rockets only.

Oh man, I hope they make a TS3.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Funny game.

And not many games make you laugh as much as the Timesplitters series, especially TS2.

TS2 was amazing. I spent so much time in the MP just dicking around with Monkeys only timed mines only. Or that asteroid level with rockets only.

Oh man, I hope they make a TS3.

erm...

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I repeat.

I hope they make a TS3.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You shut the hell up.

I <3 Wheelycat

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    A PS3 or 360 TS4 would pretty much give me insta-wood, though. Just imagine what could be done with a mapmaker designed for systems that powerful?

Monkey Assistant (the player in last place gets some monkeys added to their team to help them out) games made 4 player DM a lot of fun when you had people of different skill levels. Just hearing that noise they make when they spawn was enough to change the flow of the game. Especially when you have a map like Chinese with it's cramped underground corridors.

I really hope that the next game in the series has all of the revious MP maps included with it, though, since having to change games when we want to play different maps kind of sucks.

As far as I know, though, Free Radical has been pretty quiet lately, so maybe they're up to something.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You shut the hell up.

I <3 Wheelycat

Was there something about Future Perfect that you thought was a blatant disregard to the previous two games in the series or something?

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Einhander wrote:
    You shut the hell up.

I <3 Wheelycat

Was there something about Future Perfect that you thought was a blatant disregard to the previous two games in the series or something?

Did you mean to quote the person above my post? Otherwise I am confused

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Einhander wrote:
    A PS3 or 360 TS4 would pretty much give me insta-wood, though. Just imagine what could be done with a mapmaker designed for systems that powerful?

Monkey Assistant (the player in last place gets some monkeys added to their team to help them out) games made 4 player DM a lot of fun when you had people of different skill levels. Just hearing that noise they make when they spawn was enough to change the flow of the game. Especially when you have a map like Chinese with it's cramped underground corridors.

I really hope that the next game in the series has all of the revious MP maps included with it, though, since having to change games when we want to play different maps kind of sucks.

As far as I know, though, Free Radical has been pretty quiet lately, so maybe they're up to something.

They actually have another shooter in the works.

For the PS3 (at the moment)

Haze

933102_20060519_screen002.jpg
    933102_20060519_screen003.jpg
    933102_20060519_screen005.jpg

Looks so hopelessly generic. Like Farcry which was out so long ago.

I wish they would make a proper TS3, the actual TS3 was such a rushjob and felt so souless compared to 2. 2 was definetly the pinnacle of the series, and it had more multiplayer options than Halo 2 (which has an ungodly amount of customisation)

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I can't decide if I want to get Future Perfect for GC(via Wii) or Xbox.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Einhander wrote:
    You shut the hell up.

I <3 Wheelycat

Did you mean to quote the person above my post? Otherwise I am confused

Yes.

It's tired and I'm early.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Einhander wrote:

Free Radical are currently hard at work on Haze, a FPS for PC, 360 and PS3.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    I can't decide if I want to get Future Perfect for GC(via Wii) or Xbox.

Maps can save to the HDD on the Xbox. I'm not sure how many blocks of space a map would take up on a Cube memory card (and I don't know how the Wii handles Cube saves), but I would assume it would be a lot.

Edit: Yeah, Haze looks like Far Cry.

At least we can assume the multiplayer will be good.

Einhander on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is TS:FP even on the BC list for the 360? I checked wikipedia and it says it is not. I'd like to get it for the Xbox and play it on my 360. :|

Sanius on
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Einhander wrote:

They actually have another shooter in the works.

For the PS3 (at the moment)

Haze

[snip]
    Looks so hopelessly generic. Like Farcry which was out so long ago.

I wish they would make a proper TS3, the actual TS3 was such a rushjob and felt so souless compared to 2. 2 was definetly the pinnacle of the series, and it had more multiplayer options than Halo 2 (which has an ungodly amount of customisation)

wtf are you on?

TS3 was as well presented as TS2, had a better storyline, better graphics and just as much content as TS2.

What parts of it were rushed and souless?

Or are you just pissed because they changed the controls a bit, added blood and was published by EA?

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'll have to check to be sure, but TS3 is probably the only EA game I own.

Einhander on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So wait, wait, someone actually managed to beat some TS2 levels on Hard???

Seriously, I could never get past the dam on hard. After a whole day of trying and getting all the way up to the chopper at the end, and dying horribly, I said fuck it and I don't think I've touched that game ever since. :/

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    TS3 was almost identical to TS2, except yes, the controls were different and graphics improved.

You dont play TS for the SP either, its all about the MP , which felt kinda samey. I mean they could have just dumped everything from 2 in 3 and added to it, but they didnt.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    That chopper was the hardest 1st level boss ever. The level was pretty easy, and then you just get your steaming bloody ass handed to you on a silver fucking platter over and over again by that damn flying bastard.

I really want to see Free Radical make a TS game for Wii.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You must have played a different Timesplitters 3 than the one I did, because my copy had craploads of new weapons, characters, maps, gamemodes, gameplay additions and a really great single player mode plus the usual fuckton of minigames, challenges and bonus levels.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    chronoboundgearchronoboundgear Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    SimBen wrote:

Seriously, I could never get past the dam on hard. After a whole day of trying and getting all the way up to the chopper at the end, and dying horribly, I said fuck it and I don't think I've touched that game ever since. :/

I did. I haven't played the game in awhile, but weren't there rewards for beating those levels within a certain time period. I know my friend and I both beat the Robots level that everyone is talking about within the time limit on hard. He actually figured out how to just run through the damn thing while killing just enough to get out with barely any health left while domifuckinating the time requirement. I fought off most of the enemies and barely beat the time. I don't even want to say how many tries it took. Actually it's impossible to give a number because I can't count that high.

Something that I don't think has been mentioned is that all of the multiplayer characters have different stats such as how much health they have which makes the fact that there are so many characters awesome. Personally, I think if you put a crapload of characters with the same stats in a game you're wasting your time.

Person #1: Oh boy, I unlocked the transsexual alien cowboy!
    Person #2: Awesome! What's that one do differently than the metrosexual hollywood vampire?
    Person #3: Um...Nothing actually. He just looks different.

chronoboundgear on
    Xbox 360 Tag: Earthbound King

Every fights a food fight when you're a cannibal.
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Gah, the Timesplitters games aren't compatible with the 360. I was getting my hopes up for that.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    SimBen wrote:

I did. I haven't played the game in awhile, but weren't there rewards for beating those levels within a certain time period. I know my friend and I both beat the Robots level that everyone is talking about within the time limit on hard. He actually figured out how to just run through the damn thing while killing just enough to get out with barely any health left while domifuckinating the time requirement. I fought off most of the enemies and barely beat the time. I don't even want to say how many tries it took. Actually it's impossible to give a number because I can't count that high.

Something that I don't think has been mentioned is that all of the multiplayer characters have different stats such as how much health they have which makes the fact that there are so many characters awesome. Personally, I think if you put a crapload of characters with the same stats in a game you're wasting your time.

Person #1: Oh boy, I unlocked the transsexual alien cowboy!
    Person #2: Awesome! What's that one do differently than the metrosexual hollywood vampire?
    Person #3: Um...Nothing actually. He just looks different.

Redded for false. TS2 had nothing to unlock by beating the story levels within a certain time, that was just the Arcade League levels (another whole different flavor of stupid fucking hard by itself). You just unlocked one character per level by beating them on Normal or above, and I think cheats on Hard, but then again, I never finished anything on Hard. Good thing there's no time target either, because it's already hard enough to survive anything on Hard without sneaking up behind enemies and boom headshotting them with a silent weapon.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MittenMitten Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    SimBen wrote:

I beat the game on hard and Siberia was the worst of them all. After that it's relatively easy for a while. The latter levels probably surpass it in difficulty but the curve isn't nearly as dramatic.

As for Timesplitters 4, oddly, I'd like it nearer to the first game in a several aspects. In Timesplitters 3 the gameplay was much slower, which is fine a lot of the time, but it just doesn't make for the same amazing, frantic experience in single player or multiplayer. It was also a lot less difficult, and further there was less incentive in terms of unlockables to play on hard mode--which is especially saddening as Timesplitters games are some of the few I actually enjoy for their difficulty. There are also a few maps I'd like to see make a comeback from TS1 and 2, and the inclusion of multiplayer maps based on levels in the campaign has always been something I liked.

Also, a more detailed map editor.

Edit: Time secrets. <3

Mitten on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    -SPI- wrote:
    Einhander wrote:

Free Radical are currently hard at work on Haze, a FPS for PC, 360 and PS3.
    The trailer for that game is awesome. :D

Sanius on
  • Options
    mlsxmlsx Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    TS2 and TS:FP hard?

You people obvisouly havn't played the original when you had to travel twenty feet below an ancient pyramid against suicidal tommygun weilding cultists and zombies that could only be defeated by blowing their head clean off then after collecting some trivial object go right back to the start of the level whilst being chased by Timesplitters who teleported right behind you and fired some sort of unavoidable homing missiles. Oh and if you did this in less than 10 minutes you unlocked paintball mode.

<3 Original Timesplitters.

mlsx on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I really liked TP3 up untill the part where you have to flip the electronic switchboards. The ones with the electrical current, I mean.

I got to the 3rd or 4th puzzle and got so frustrated I haven't gone back to it yet. :oops:

earthwormadam on