As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vroooom - Automocar Factual Information

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ice cold.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    gold wheels, classy
    sorry about shitting all over your new purchase I'm sure you're excited over

but WRXs do not do it for me, they're ugly sedans and while fast, not as fast as people make them out to be

decent handling though, and a large aftermarket

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh I agree they are ugly just like the Evo(which I was also shopping). I chose this model over the new version because I just can't get into the new STi being a 5 door.

The Z had sexy lines but its aftermarket was pretty lame.

xeroismygod on
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I never liked the 350Z's. My friend had one for awhile and I just hated riding in it. Cramped (and I'm 5'8'') and I found it to also be cluttered. And the outside just was not that interesting. Though, I will admit I like what they did to the exterior for the 370Z. Just rounded all the corners sexed up considerably to me.

Also don't like those WRX's either so.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    5 Million Dollar Diamond Coated Koenigsegg CCXR Trevita

http://jalopnik.com/5401566/

that paint job looks exactly like my boss's silver camry

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gentlemen, I recently traded in my 2005 350z for a 2006 STi. What is the first mod I should do?

10864_204211447785_694852785_4220273_8083286_n.jpg

An STI with the standard WRX wing on the back. Interesting.

First mod? The exhaust system. Open it up some and you'll earn yourself some more ponies.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    gold wheels, classy
    sorry about shitting all over your new purchase I'm sure you're excited over

but WRXs do not do it for me, they're ugly sedans and while fast, not as fast as people make them out to be

decent handling though, and a large aftermarket

gold on sti is classic, you heathen

1106826839.jpg

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hell, I actually like the bronze he's got going on there as opposed to some of the gold that gets dropped onto those cars.

Either way, I'm pretty thrilled that mine doesn't have gold wheels. I would have swapped them out pretty quickly as a matter of my own personal taste.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    5 Million Dollar Diamond Coated Koenigsegg CCXR Trevita

http://jalopnik.com/5401566/

That's the worst console I've ever seen I think D;

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    haha god, why'd you get a white car

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    They reflect light more, staying cooler in summer, and they also look great

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    new york what the fuck

plateFaq1.png

that will look like shit on pretty much all cars

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh dear.

Hell, I still have my blue empire plates (as featured in that link) and the plates that were a version before that and they both look better than that.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Same color as Ohio's party plates

http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/Ohio2/oh2005dui.jpg

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Is tacking an opinion onto the end of a fact really necessary?

Try this:
    they look cheap and poor compared to other colors - a great example is the STi that fari posted. It even has the same rims. Simply put, white paint jobs ain't interesting at all.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Try this:
    they look cheap and poor compared to other colors - a great example is the STi that fari posted. It even has the same rims. Simply put, white paint jobs ain't interesting at all.

false

alpine white bmw's are so pretty

attachment-5.jpg

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Try this:

White is an awesome color if the car has a great design. White shows off the actual lines and curves of a car much more than all-hiding black.

volkswagen_golf_gti_20_07_05.jpg
    lotus_exige_sport_cup_260_4.jpg
    gallardo_lp560-4.jpg

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Gentlemen, I recently traded in my 2005 350z for a 2006 STi. What is the first mod I should do?

First mod? The exhaust system. Open it up some and you'll earn yourself some more ponies.

First mod? Front mount intercooler kit and a boost controller. Then a nice exhaust. Not just a fart cannon, a real exhaust system.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yes, the system part should go without saying.

Though, the front mount intercooler isn't critical nor is the boost controller, but they are nice to have. Unless you drive it hard and then dinging up your intercooler by having it strapped to the front is a bad idea, hence the original placement.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DrZiplock wrote: »

First mod? Front mount intercooler kit and a boost controller. Then a nice exhaust. Not just a fart cannon, a real exhaust system.

which will sound like a fart cannon

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Unless he plans to run it in the WRC, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having your intercooler behind a bit of grille mesh in your front bar.

As for them not being critical, from a reliability standpoint, those are the the two things I would change if I owned a last-gen WRX, regardless of planned future performance mods.

How hot does it get in Summer in San Jose California? Regularly above mid 30s?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    White shows off the actual lines and curves of a car much more than all-hiding black.

I never said black was the go-to color instead of white :3

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Nope!

A properly designed aftermarket exhaust will consist of a set of tuned length extractors with seperate wastegate, a custom-built turbo downpipe, a decent high-flow catalytic converter (like a Metalcat), and a custom built high-flow cat-back exhaust with the correct amount of resonators and mufflers. In stainless steel.

In Australia that costs around $4000.

It's road and emissions legal (i.e. not too loud), and your car sounds fantastic, inside and out.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    All white and silver cars look unpainted

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    All white and silver cars look unpainted

Go see an optometrist.

gallardo_lp560-4.jpg

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Plenty of nice silver cars as well. Audi's various silvers are really deep and pretty.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    plenty of nice cars look unpainted sure

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    some white cars look pretty nice. the newer white vws i've seen are okay but it tends not to age well.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Nope!

A properly designed aftermarket exhaust will consist of a set of tuned length extractors with seperate wastegate, a custom-built turbo downpipe, a decent high-flow catalytic converter (like a Metalcat), and a custom built high-flow cat-back exhaust with the correct amount of resonators and mufflers. In stainless steel.

In Australia that costs around $4000.

It's road and emissions legal (i.e. not too loud), and your car sounds fantastic, inside and out.

high flow cats likely wouldn't pass emissions in california

same possibly with the "extractors"

also white cars are pretty boring, but that is of course and amazing paint job on that lambo, you can't compare flat white to a pearlescent paint job

black cars look fantastic with a good wax job on them, but they show wear and tear easily. Silver is possibly the most boring color ever painted to a car. In my nightmares there is nothing but a worldwide fleet of silver camrys, accords, and mazda 6s

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Once again, plenty of companies do a nice silver.

And California can suck a dick, so

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Any company has a better looking colour than silver, any type of silver.
    Except Mercedes, cause that's like the oldschool grand prix mercedes colour, so that's like getting a jag in green

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jwalk wrote: »
    I dunno how it drives. I've seen one or 2 at the autocross, people seem to like them ok. I watched some SCCA race on Speed and they did okay in the corners but they all got walked down the straights by the ... Civic Si... That doesn't bode well considering it has a 2.4 liter vs the Civic's 2.0.

The Saturn Sky Redline model has a 2.0 liter turbo and goes like stink, apparently. Like sub-6-seconds-to-sixty quick.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Except Mercedes, cause that's like the oldschool grand prix mercedes colour, so that's like getting a jag in green

header.jpg

you were saying?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I like red Audis

like this

audi-quattro-1988.jpg

I'd love to see an S5 with a paintjob like that, kinda like that more recent Carrera RS

edit: I meant S5

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

yeah, silver is always bottom of the barrel no matter who does it, relative to their own paint jobs anyway

If they do a nice silver they probably do a fucking awesome red, or black

and of course british racing green is a fantastic color

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I dunno how it drives. I've seen one or 2 at the autocross, people seem to like them ok. I watched some SCCA race on Speed and they did okay in the corners but they all got walked down the straights by the ... Civic Si... That doesn't bode well considering it has a 2.4 liter vs the Civic's 2.0.

The Saturn Sky Redline model has a 2.0 liter turbo and goes like stink, apparently. Like sub-6-seconds-to-sixty quick.

Yeah the GXP coupe has a turbo 2.0 and makes 260bhp. Too bad they only made it for 1 year.

jwalk on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As for the cat. converter, CARB doesn't regulate those, EPA does, that means all 50-states. Tampering or removing a working cat. is highly illegal, though some shops will still do it (or you can do it yourself). Plenty of aftermarket "high flow" cats are EPA-legal, as long as they are the same as the original type (3 way etc) and located in the same place (cats need a certain amount of heat to fire off).

Otherwise you can probably find a good cat-back system. In the WRX market there's probably 10 or 20 to choose from, find some clips online (Youtube even) or someone that has one. That's what I did, bought one used for half price actually, it sounds good and isn't loud at all. Some of them are just ridiculous loud though... in CA the only thing you have to worry about if you aren't touching the cat is sound levels, it's like 85db at 50 feet at full throttle.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    high flow cats likely wouldn't pass emissions in california

Wrong. Just buy one that is CARB approved. For instance these are available in Australia, surely there must be something similar in the states.
    same possibly with the "extractors"

Exhaust extractors or 'headers' do not affect your vehicles total noise or emissions output. Therefore basically anything you do with them (as long as you stay within the confines of the engine bay, and get certified by an inspecting engineer) is a-o.k. with the gubmint.
    also white cars are pretty boring, but that is of course and amazing paint job on that lambo, you can't compare flat white to a pearlescent paint job

black cars look fantastic with a good wax job on them, but they show wear and tear easily. Silver is possibly the most boring color ever painted to a car. In my nightmares there is nothing but a worldwide fleet of silver camrys, accords, and mazda 6s

But Mazda 6s look great in pretty much any colour?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Yeah the GXP coupe has a turbo 2.0 and makes 260bhp. Too bad they only made it for 1 year.

Never mind about that - the new golf R20 will have a 200kW (270hp) turbo 4 and AWD.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My Mazda 6 is dark grey

it's a pretty lame paint job

helluvacar though

Staleghoti on
This discussion has been closed.