As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vista reinstall, odd behaviour

MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
I just reinstalled vista64 the other day. I am now seeing some odd things happening.

1. once every hour or so a mundane task, fetching new email, moving a file, refreshing firefox, will lock the system for a few seconds. I can move the mouse, but cannot interact with the taskbar or any windows. Usually the app I was in goes unresponsive for a few seconds.

2. My wallpaper keeps changing from stretched to centered, if i go into the desktop setting to change it back, it automatically goes back to stretched.

3. Web browsing is quite a bit slower than before reinstall. 15-20 seconds to refresh a forum thread, 30 secs to load slashdot etc. I have 6mbit dsl.
If I download something from CNET or filefront or what not I can max my connection for hours on end with no speed drop.

Things different from old install to new reinstall

I am running the latest NVIDIA drivers, 190.x I believe. Before i was on 186 or 184

The only motherboard drivers I did not install were the Raid/ACHI ones, as I don't use raid and nothing was missing in device manager.

I had to reinstall the drivers for my PCIe SATA card, on my old vista install I did this by cd, this time I downloaded the drivers for what I *think* is the right card. The drive it is hooked up to works fine.

I am on SP1 and have all of the patches windows update recommended.

For problem 1. aside from solutions hopefully recommended in this thread, what type of counters could I monitor in the performance viewer tool to troubleshoot something like this? I remember last install it took vista a month or so to get up to speed with how I use it. But I do not remember freezes.

For problem 3. I am going to try disabling some of the extra networking services for vista, IIS, PKI, IPV6 etc to see if that helps.

For problem 2. I am considering hiring a voodoo priest.

System specs
Q6600 @ 3.0 ghz
8800GT
8GB Ram

camo_sig2.png
Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
Madpanda on

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How did you reinstall? Format+fresh install from disc?

re: #2 O_o wow. Does it change back the moment you open Personalize?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ronya wrote: »
    How did you reinstall? Format+fresh install from disc?

re: #2 O_o wow. Does it change back the moment you open Personalize?

Format and fresh install from disc.

As soon as I open Personalize it changes back, I can almost hear it saying "drats, foiled again"

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek