As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Witcher] [The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings trailer | 2011 release

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    You know, for as much as I demonize console RPGs, I think the witcher really could work as a console game.

I long said that about the first game. The combat would have worked way better on a console. It never felt right with a mouse.

However, I recall reading somewhere that the combat is much improved in the second game and no longer has all the weird timing shit.

Vincent Grayson on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    You know, for as much as I demonize console RPGs, I think the witcher really could work as a console game.

I long said that about the first game. The combat would have worked way better on a console. It never felt right with a mouse.

However, I recall reading somewhere that the combat is much improved in the second game and no longer has all the weird timing shit.

I hope so, because it's the sole reason I couldn't get into the first game. It was a neat idea, but it just didn't work for me.

-Loki- on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Go look for that IGN footage from E3 a few pages back. They talk about the new combat system a bit

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Day 1 purchase

Alegis on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's what happens when you're not beholden to the console's RAM and streaming textures of 1 DVD restrictions.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    edited August 2010
    edited August 2010
    33fap3t.jpg

I better still have my saved ending from the first one it seems.

Cade on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Cade wrote: »
    -There is nudity
    It's all Zoltan.

The Witcher II: The Full Zoltan

Nartwak on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dammit, I don't have my save from the first game anymore. I'm either going to need a find a save game file or hope the sequel has some option where you get to choose major decisions from the first. I really don't want to go through the game again.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There will probably be downloadable save files you can use like people did for ME2.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    Dammit, I don't have my save from the first game anymore. I'm either going to need a find a save game file or hope the sequel has some option where you get to choose major decisions from the first. I really don't want to go through the game again.

I believe they've said that you'll be allowed to say which choices you made in the last game at the beginning of this one somehow.

So yeah, it's not like Mass Effect where if you didn't have the first game's savegame you got a load of choices that were pretty rubbish.

subedii on
    edited August 2010
    Read this link
    Alegis wrote: »

it answers your questions as well as providing nudity

what's not to like?

Alegis on
    edited August 2010
    The Witcher is the first real game I played where choices really did mean something, so many other games it's just meaningless and a point for them to stick on the box at best.

Cade on
    edited August 2010
    Nartwak wrote: »
    -There is nudity
    It's all Zoltan.

They shaved his beard.

If you know what I mean.

Monger on
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There is a series of 7 videos from GC on Gametrailers.com now. I'll link #7 since it blew my mind.

Pure awesome.

The only thing I worry about is performance. I've been playing the first game on the rig I just bought 3 weeks ago and it's hit and miss (opening cutscenes were slideshows, most other areas are playable but framerates are kind of all over the place). Since it is rapidly becoming my favorite RPG ever (just got to Ch 3) I'm willing to deal with hiccups here and there. Very excited for the sequel. Maybe by the time it comes out I can get a different card for cheap.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
    edited August 2010
    Well that's certainly quite a change

Alegis on
  • ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just picked this game up potion making is going to be the end of me. Damn OCD. I'm liking the whole research prep time aspect to monster hunting though.

Zafina on
    edited August 2010
    EdS25 wrote: »
    There is a series of 7 videos from GC on Gametrailers.com now. I'll link #7 since it blew my mind.

Pure awesome.

The only thing I worry about is performance. I've been playing the first game on the rig I just bought 3 weeks ago and it's hit and miss (opening cutscenes were slideshows, most other areas are playable but framerates are kind of all over the place). Since it is rapidly becoming my favorite RPG ever (just got to Ch 3) I'm willing to deal with hiccups here and there. Very excited for the sequel. Maybe by the time it comes out I can get a different card for cheap.

Did you go really cheap on the videocard or something? It runs smoothly on my PC which is probably 2.5 years old at this point.

edit: Wow, that looks awesome. I think 2011 might be the next time it's really worth upgrading my PC (with this, Rage, and several other big PC releases coming).

Vincent Grayson on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    -There is nudity
    It's all Zoltan.

They shaved his beard.

If you know what I mean.

GOTY :winky:

Nartwak on
    edited August 2010

*snip*

Did you go really cheap on the videocard or something? It runs smoothly on my PC which is probably 2.5 years old at this point.

I have an ATI HD 5770. It ran Starcraft 2 at Ultra with no trouble. When I first started the Witcher some of those opening cutscenes were like <10 fps. Later I figured out that I had multiple settings at medium so I turned everything up to max. It's hard to describe actually; I think the game is actually running smooth, but when you run through a town or the swamp, the camera is sort of jerky so it makes it seem worse than it is. I just turned off AA and that seemed to help (and honestly I can't tell the difference in graphical quality). I've only had the rig a couple of weeks so I'm still trying to find the sweet spot for everything.

EdS25 on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    my problems with the visuals in the witcher is that even if I force on vsync in my control panel the game says fuck you no and zomg screen tearing and there's nothing to do about it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Witcher 1's technical aspects were just janky as hell all around. Hopefully, the sequel will be a lot smoother (framerate and otherwise).

Zxerol on
    edited August 2010
    The first game was on the Aurora engine, which was always kind of a technical mess. I'm glad it's dead now.

Monger on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just had some really odd framerate issues as well. Turns out turning off Catalyst AI fixed it.

And I will say that while that Witcher 2 walkthrough shows a lot of promise, I just hope they take their sweet time, 'cause much of it still looks real rough.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited August 2010
    The first game was on the Aurora engine, which was always kind of a technical mess. I'm glad it's dead now.

It could be worse. It is still better than Bethesda's shit.

Couscous on
    edited August 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I just had some really odd framerate issues as well. Turns out turning off Catalyst AI fixed it.

And I will say that while that Witcher 2 walkthrough shows a lot of promise, I just hope they take their sweet time, 'cause much of it still looks real rough.

But how else will we tell that it is an Eastern European game?

Couscous on
    edited August 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

It could be worse. It is still better than Bethesda's shit.

Bethesda didn't create the engine they used for Oblivion and Fallout 3 though.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited August 2010

Well they did keep saying throughout that "this is all work in development, there's still tonnes of stuff we need to do", and pointing out at various places stuff they had yet to implement.

subedii on
    edited August 2010

Haha. I'll need to try that. I looked up what the f "Catalyst AI" even is, and the answers were wonderfully nebulous. (Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and it basically does secret optimization shit for any given game ... riiiiight). That's almost enough to just make me run screaming back to my consoles. And actually, I think playing the extended edition a couple years later the few "problems" I've had (fps drops) have been very, very minor compared to most folks.

Just got to an awesome fight in Chapter 3:
    Me, the hierophant and 2 wyverns vs. 2 kiki warriors and a crapload of salamandras. I was able to convert the warriors until I cleared out the fodder, then clear up. Great stuff. Had more trouble with the next cave full of assassins since my "Group Steel" kinda sucks. Really hadn't been using that tactic too much up to here so hadn't spent many points in it.

EdS25 on
  • Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Found my save games in my documents folder. glad they're still there. Much as I loved the first game, I have too much of a backlog to replay the whole thing just to continue my playthrough in 2. Even though I would, dammit.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I might have to give The Witcher another go when I'm done with DoW. The sequel looks truly impressive, so I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about the story.

-Loki- on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    33fap3t.jpg

I better still have my saved ending from the first one it seems.

Best part of this is the load screens, those were fucking brutal.

big l on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    -There is nudity
    It's all Zoltan.

zoltan.jpg

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    edited August 2010
    Found my save files as well, glad I kept them.

The more I see this game the more I think of how Dragon Age 2 wishes it was looking this good.

Cade on
    edited August 2010
    Found my save files as well, glad I kept them.

The more I see this game the more I think of how Dragon Age 2 wishes it was looking this good.

I'm more worried about how it'll run. That cityscape (and the battlefield) looked impressive, I just hope it runs well on current hardware. Assuming it doesn't cross the "Crysis Barrier" it should be fine.

Otherwise the game's still a year out and, eh, I guess four years is a pretty good run with essentially the same hardware (barring an upgrade after a graphics card went faulty).

subedii on