As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I go the cue ball route?

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm having trouble deciding if I should shave my head or not. I really hadn't thought about it before, but I realized that my hair has become really thin and noticible lately. Which I'm fine with...my dad is pretty bald, I always expected this. Not sure if I should go for it or not though. So I come to you folks. Here are pics, hopefully the thinning hair is noticible.
IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Incidently, I'm also thinking of getting contacts. Yay or nay on that?

Kyougu on

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    It looks fine as-is in those photos. You might be a little too self-critical.

Doc on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cue-ball bald I don't think is necessary.

Contacts, maybe?

I don't see any urgent need for change.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    I don't see any urgent need for change.

except maybe smile more

Doc on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, yeah. Everyone should do that.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    you look fine. try shaving it once if you want to, your hair's short enough that it'll be grown back in a couple of weeks anyways.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There's not a lot you can do with hair that short, but you look fine, Kyougu. And as Fallout said, if you want to experiment it won't take a long time to grow back.

Also, I've never been a fan of contacts personally, so my bias is keep your glasses because they seem to help bring an extra level of structure to your facial features (if you understand that). However, there's nothing to stop you getting some contacts and having a trial period, so YMMV.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You could try a really short buzz; if you like that, maybe go bald. It'll grow back a bit faster, and it doesn't look quite as outlandish as a complete dome.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd start with contacts.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    try a 1 or a 2 with some clippers first.

NotYou on
  • Options
    KlundtasaurKlundtasaur Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was an avowed glasses wearer from 3rd grade 'till my sophmore year in college. I didn't mind my glasses at all, and i even liked them sometimes. Then my little sister got contacts, and raved about them, so i thought i'd try them.

It took me an hour and a half to get the lens in my eye the first time--but i think that's cause i'm some kind of freak who couldn't control his blink reflex. My sister said she was only there 15 minutes, and most others i've talked to said about the same. Since then, I've never looked back. I love being able to buy normal, cheap-as-hell sunglasses at the gas station, or nap at my desk by just flopping my head down (my glasses would always poke my face weirdly when I'd try to rest my head on my arms). Snowboarding and paintballing became more enjoyable, too--wearing glasses under a PB mask sucks, and talk about dual-fog problems with glasses while snowboarding...

So, I'd say try the contacts. Give it a month or so of putting them in/taking them out before you decide--it took me at least that long before i could reliably do it in less than 5 minutes. And, worst case scenario, you decide you don't like them, and you're out like $30.

Klundtasaur on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When you get used to contacts putting them in and taking them out becomes nothing at all, and the difference between wearing glasses and contacts is just spending a few moments in front of the mirror every morning and night. After five years of on and off contact use I can put both on in under 30 seconds and taking them out is even faster.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I'm having trouble deciding if I should shave my head or not. I really hadn't thought about it before, but I realized that my hair has become really thin and noticible lately. Which I'm fine with...my dad is pretty bald, I always expected this. Not sure if I should go for it or not though. So I come to you folks. Here are pics, hopefully the thinning hair is noticible.
    IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Incidently, I'm also thinking of getting contacts. Yay or nay on that?

It is only when you feel the need for a toupet or a comb-over that you should go the cue-ball route.

For now it's fine as it is.

Cristo on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Personally, I'd rather give up a toe than give up my glasses. More than helping me see they're part of who I am, glasses suit me. So I say no to contacts but it's up to you. Your doctor should be able to give you one pair as a sample to see if you like them.

I think your hair is fine as is and you'd look goofy bald. That's a hard look to pull off.

VisionOfClarity on