As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dog Walking Rates

HewnHewn Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
For awhile now I've been walking the dogs of my friends and family and have found I'm pretty good at it. I've trained them to walk at the heel, meet dogs nicely, just little things like that. Some suggested I start running ads to make some money on the side, and I've love to, but have no clue what dog walkers charge.

Anybody been a dog walker before or used the service give me an idea of rates in different areas of the country? How about for dog visits while people are out of town?

Additionally, I'd love any advice on crafting the ad or advertising the service.

Steam: hewn
Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
Hewn on

• StudioAudienceStudioAudience Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I called some people who posted ads in craigslist in the bay area back when I was trying to find out the average rates. I was quoted 20 bucks for half an hour if they come <4 days a week, and 18 bucks if its 4 days or more per week.

StudioAudience on
    studaud.png
    GFWL: studaud (for SF4)
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Our dog walker just outside Boston charges us $20 for an hour for our two dogs. When we were fostering a 3rd they charged $25 dollars.

They abide by our heel and greeting rules as well so it seems like a similar service to what you are planning on offering.

narv107 on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A lot of the craigslist ads around here claim to be licensed. So you might want to look into that.

MushroomStick on
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks, those rates give me a good range where to start. As for licensing, I think they just mean a business license depending on the requirements of the area. There's no actual licensing from any dog organizations as far as I can tell, but I'm here to learn.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Something else you may want to consider is looking into getting insured. Our dog walker is covered in the event that something happens to our dogs or our dogs get into trouble while in their care.

narv107 on