As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wizardry Renaissance: Labyrinth of Lost Souls PSN! And also the Apple store!(!?)

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    @honky Not without a longer range weapon. But a Thief is pretty indispensable what with all the trapped chests and locked doors and such.

Also, to answer my own question, Ninjas do get the Thief Skills skill, so they can disarm traps and unlock doors.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shen wrote: »
    I couldn't find this on the EU PSN so I'm dling the US demo atm, is it actually out in PAL territories yet?

Not yet, they're working on it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So monsters get more abilities as they level up. Goblin Priests get more spells, and Vampire Bats can paralyze. I don't know what level exactly it takes but it's definitely above 10 for these two. And god damn is paralysis harsh. Kill those bats ASAP, they're no longer harmless at higher levels.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I decided to throw caution to the wind and head down to level 5 of the DoT.

And immediately found the teleporter to 6-9. It's actually odd, walking towards it causes a bit of lag -- I presume, cause it's loading the DLC files.

Can't walk around in 6-9, but can walk back and forth on the teleporter, which will lead to a fight, for the patient.

I can't survive said fights, but, still. It's nice. I can survive, mostly, on Floor 5, although some of the spellcasters gank me pretty hard. I'm still solo, should probably head up and fix that, but my current plan is to turn evil as my Lord, switch to Ninja, then switch to Good again. Kinda a slow process.

Wonder if Ninjas are still the murder machines they were in 1-5.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    My Ninja is level 7 and she's about even with my Fighters as far as damage output. She was TERRIBLE until I gave her a katana though. I had her dual wielding a longsword + shortsword, but now it's katana + shortsword. Also I don't know if or when they start being better unarmored, but at this low level you definitely want to wear as much armor as you can. I found a Black Robe from the Spirits on DoT 3 which is really great for a Ninja.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is there a way to switch alignments? I want to have a Ninja in my party, but my Good alignment is preventing that from happening... it's very annoying.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If you attack when you encounter a group of non-aggressive monsters it slides your alignment towards Evil.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yes. Randomly, when you get into fights, the enemy will be cowering, trying to escape, or watching you. You have the option to run away, attack, or watch back.

Running away is Neutral, it won't affect your alignment.
    Attacking is evil.
    Watching is good.

You have to get a certain number of points / there is a certain percentage chance of a character changing alignment by this method. Changing from Neutral is the most difficult change.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Are you sure about that? I thought 'Leave' was the good option and 'Watch' was the neutral one.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I could just be imagining this, but I've found that if you want high bonus stat scores, there's a method to it.

1. Roll until you get a 40+ bonus stat.
    2. Register the character.
    3. Save and quit out to the title screen.
    5. Continue your saved game and make another character.
    6. Rinse and repeat.

It seems like you get the high scores much quicker this way. If you don't, it seems to take MUCH longer to get more high bonus stats.

Esh on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think it's true, because I had the same thing happen. Once I made my main I got a fighter pretty quickly with 40, but after 10 minutes I never got past 30. I saved, went back to the title, reloaded, and got another 40 in three tries. Then another 5 minutes of nothing. For the next three I saved and went back and was done in a few minutes.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have yet to see anything above about 26 and I've tried a few hundred times all told. I'd love to get a 30 or 40 to remake my Bishop. My current one has 39 HP at level 11...

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    I think it's true, because I had the same thing happen. Once I made my main I got a fighter pretty quickly with 40, but after 10 minutes I never got past 30. I saved, went back to the title, reloaded, and got another 40 in three tries. Then another 5 minutes of nothing. For the next three I saved and went back and was done in a few minutes.

Yeah, I got 47s for my Samurai, Bishop, and Lord and let my Thief, Priest, and Mage get by with 40s. I still haven't actually PLAYED the damn game yet. After I finish this stupid final project for my Archaeology class, I'm headed home to delve into the dungeon.

What I'd LOVE to see is an MMO that's strictly dungeon crawling with the need for torches and what not. A graphical Nethack or something along those lines would be heaven.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Finally started playing. I was a little worried about having a Thief in the front row, but she's dodging everything and actually doing the most damage currently.

Also, LOVING this game. Takes me back to my childhood in the 80s and playing Wizardry on the Apple II. Somehow I like this better than Etrian Odyssey. I like being able to play this on the big screen rather than a handheld.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    One thing that this game has going for it is no F.O.E.s

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I kinda wish that when my female characters are poisoned and wandering around the maze, that every time it affects them, they didn't sound like they were having sex.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Haha I know. I was short one cure poison spell and was kind of worried someone was going to come in here because of the hurt sounds.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I still can't decide if I want this game or not, even after playing the demo. It's incredibly god damn hard and that's kind of a turn off for me. I'm not sure. D: I was expecting something similar to the PlayStation 2 Wizardry, which was just the right difficulty. This Wizardry is super hardcore.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This still isn't as hardcore as Etrian Odyssey. You can't wipe out in the dungeons, you return to town with the main character alive.

Poison is nasty, though. It will kill you, and very fast.

Also, Exorcism is broken. Use it on the undead? They're toast.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is it necessary to keep the maps in your inventory once you gone through the levels they contain?

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    @cj That's how exorcism has always worked. You didn't even used to get any experience for using it. It works less often now though.

@Esh Assuming you've memorized your way down and don't need to look at the map I guess there's no reason to carry it.

Has anyone done many of the quests? They keep rewarding greater and greater sums of money, for which I have less and less use. Most of the good stuff from the item shop is in very limited supply and I already own it, and now Ironhand wants to pay me 50k for 20 reagents. Do quests ever reward you with equipment?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    @cj That's how exorcism has always worked. You didn't even used to get any experience for using it. It works less often now though.

@Esh Assuming you've memorized your way down and don't need to look at the map I guess there's no reason to carry it.

Has anyone done many of the quests? They keep rewarding greater and greater sums of money, for which I have less and less use. Most of the good stuff from the item shop is in very limited supply and I already own it, and now Ironhand wants to pay me 50k for 20 reagents. Do quests ever reward you with equipment?

I'm STILL trying to get my third dirty dagger after already scouting out both the entire first and second level. The first two dropped from one encounter. Nothing for the third yet.

Esh on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I think you'll want money for a trophy. I can't remember if it's 10,000 or 100,000 but there's a trophy for one of them, then the other or 1 million, and then a hidden trophy is right after it so I suspect it wants either 1 million or 10 million.

Esh that dirty dagger sucks, because it took me forever too. The next quest wants 5 tonics from Orcs. I have yet to get one.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I had those by the time I took that quest.

Also, managed to kill the Banshee, but it was at the cost of five dead. Didn't save.

All I got was a staff and around 800 XP.

By the way, Shiin 3F is where the monsters start getting nasty. In looks, too.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Gilder wrote: »

I think you'll want money for a trophy. I can't remember if it's 10,000 or 100,000 but there's a trophy for one of them, then the other or 1 million, and then a hidden trophy is right after it so I suspect it wants either 1 million or 10 million.

Esh that dirty dagger sucks, because it took me forever too. The next quest wants 5 tonics from Orcs. I have yet to get one.
    Oh yeah trophies. I always forget about them because I'm pretty new to PS3 gaming. I do remember getting the 10k gold trophy already.

But seriously fuck DoT 4. These fucking Trolls can eat a dick. I'll warn everyone who's not that deep yet, because it might save you a trip to the temple: Trolls can melee your back row, and hit my level 12 casters for ~40-120.

EDIT And as far as questing goes, I've finished 5 or 6 quests and only the "Researching the Undead" quest gave me any trouble so far. I was fucking swimming in those Tonics from the orcs, and I think I got all 3 dirty daggers from my first two kobold encounters. Quest hint! Save any ?strange you get, because you need a ton for its associated quest.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So, my Thief became Evil after I accidentally attacked a group of monsters that was "watching" me. After almost getting wiped and returning the surface, I was immediately taken to the Temple where the two people who were still alive left the party (including the evil thief). I rezzed everyone else, but now I'm stuck with my thief not being able to rejoin the party. How do I get around this outside of rolling a new thief?

Esh on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Esh wrote: »
    So, my Thief became Evil after I accidentally attacked a group of monsters that was "watching" me. After almost getting wiped and returning the surface, I was immediately taken to the Temple where the two people who were still alive left the party (including the evil thief). I rezzed everyone else, but now I'm stuck with my thief not being able to rejoin the party. How do I get around this outside of rolling a new thief?

Roll some Evil characters (try to get 40+ stats to make a ninja) and just cross your fingers running around on the first floor. Hope you come across some more random encounters where you're given the choice to attack or leave and turn good.

Alternatively, be a dick with your remaining party members and turn them Neutral/Evil.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Esh wrote: »

Roll some Evil characters (try to get 40+ stats to make a ninja) and just cross your fingers running around on the first floor. Hope you come across some more random encounters where you're given the choice to attack or leave and turn good.

Alternatively, be a dick with your remaining party members and turn them Neutral/Evil.

I actually figured out a better way.

I put just the lead (my Neutral Samurai) and the Thief in a party. Went down to level 5 and got killed. Was returned to the temple. Went to the guild, got everyone back into the party, went into the Temple and rezzed the Thief who was now in the party with all my Neutral and Good characters. Voila.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ooooh sneaky. Good job figuring that out. I'm trying to turn my party neutral/good so that might come in handy.

How far are people? My party's level 10 (Ninja, ex-Thief) to 14 and I just cleared Dungeon of Trials floor 4. Going to poke my head into floor 5 and see how I fare in there, and then probably do Shiin 4.

Oh and I finally found some really cool loot, stuff you can't buy. I don't know if the pre-placed chest loot is static or not, but one of the chests on DoT 4 had some really great stuff.

Does anyone know what ?Strange drops from? I know it drops from Grave Mist but I'm pretty sure there are other monsters that drop it too.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    mirarantmirarant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ooooh sneaky. Good job figuring that out. I'm trying to turn my party neutral/good so that might come in handy.

How far are people? My party's level 10 (Ninja, ex-Thief) to 14 and I just cleared Dungeon of Trials floor 4. Going to poke my head into floor 5 and see how I fare in there, and then probably do Shiin 4.

Oh and I finally found some really cool loot, stuff you can't buy. I don't know if the pre-placed chest loot is static or not, but one of the chests on DoT 4 had some really great stuff.

Does anyone know what ?Strange drops from? I know it drops from Grave Mist but I'm pretty sure there are other monsters that drop it too.

About that ressing and joining the party trick: I've noticed that getting ressed (by my priest via Touch of Life, haven't tried Restore Body yet) will permanently lower you VIT by 1, you might want to consider that.

Level 20 so far, explored DoT to 6F which I guess is DLC territory considering all the monsters are suddenly 2-3 levels higher than me. On floor 6 in Shiin's as well, haven't had any major troubles there aside from a few surprise one shots.

If you haven't encountered them yet in DoT you'll love the fighters from floor 4 and onwards, especially their ability to suddenly hit any char for 300+ damage, good times.

EDIT: My thief in the back row went from useless damage with the sling to a super slayer because I found the Death Knife dagger. 52~122 x4 with fear and instant death effects, effective against all types of enemies except beasts, backstabbing enemy casters for 700+ damage in the back row, niiiiice.

mirarant on
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is there some downside to being evil? 4 out of my 6 party members are evil bastard chicks, and the other two are just neutral so they don't give a shit anyways.

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    Is there some downside to being evil? 4 out of my 6 party members are evil bastard chicks, and the other two are just neutral so they don't give a shit anyways.

Other than having to resort to shenanigans in order to recruit good aligned characters to your party, there doesn't seem to be any other downside.

mirarant on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rolling stats is really pissing me off.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Rolling stats is really pissing me off.

Read my post #411 on the page before this. It'll help.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I was going to bump the 2 year old Class of Heroes thread, but instead, i think I'll just ask real quick in here.

Back in the day there was a Class of Heroes 3 image with all the absurd number of classes on it all at once. Stuff like Tsundere, Nurse, Idol Singer, Sentai Hero, etc. Anyone have that?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    I was going to bump the 2 year old Class of Heroes thread, but instead, i think I'll just ask real quick in here.

Back in the day there was a Class of Heroes 3 image with all the absurd number of classes on it all at once. Stuff like Tsundere, Nurse, Idol Singer, Sentai Hero, etc. Anyone have that?

Low resolution but the only one I could find.
    5ug2dx.jpg

mirarant on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's great when you start finding gear that isn't available in the store. Just picked up an Ice Sword for my lord, to replace his Claymore. Better damage, 1-handed, and a chance to paralyze on hit. Which hasn't been that useful yet since things die in 1 hit, but still. It's the thought that counts, I guess.

Starting to run into high level enemy fighters which can be a pain if they're allowed to attack. Ouch. Also, enemy spell casters. Boo. Hiss. Etc.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is there any way to see or utilize the class skills?

As my characters have leveled up, I've seen things like "Soandso has learned a new skill!" Most of the time, this seems to be an extra attack with their weapon. It'd be nice to know what skills are learned when my Thief gets one. She's not able to attack from the back row yet (via any backstab, I mean).

And then there's the ambiguous class skills like Huge Shield and Magic Boost. Are these passive "skills" that just mean my mage innately does more damage with spells, and my Lord can use tower shields (haven't found one yet)

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You can see them on the status screen, and press triangle to get a description.

The backstab skill is use with the hide command. Your thief will attempt to hide, and will be able to backstab the following round.

Your mages focus skill is similar, he'll be able to wait one round, then select a spell on the next round to do more damage.

The shield skill is a tanking thing, he'll draw attacks.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    are seeker rings all that amazing or can I sell some of them? my 3 characters in the front have 1 and I have like 4 more, I dunno if I should bother to put them on the ones in the back or sell them for gold.

also, wtf, I go a grim circlet with decent stats, but it drains 5 hp of the wearer with every step. whats the point?

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."