As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pimp my resume! (Now with more ditch digging)

rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I suck royally at selling my self and skills...
I had it critiqued by a friends co-worker that works for the company I'm going for, in the same position I'm in.
He said to expand the bullet points, but damnit, I don't know what to put...

I hate resumes, and am terrible with words, so... halp!

http://www.hollowsociety.com/random/Resume-Web.doc

Update:

http://www.hollowsociety.com/random/Resume-Web2.doc

Now the problem is it's 2 pages, but I can't fill out the 2nd page. I was always told have a full page or shorten it to 1...
Also what to do about the landscaping part. I just wrote a paragraph making it sound more awesome than it was, but the timeframe is where I'm sketchy on. It was an on and off job before/after school and inbetween school and my current job.

rfalias on

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's not that bad, really.

The only thing that jumped out as me as a O.o moment is "self taught linux experience".

Unless you know that "self-taught" is a selling adjective, leave it out.

I often use descriptors such as intermediate, advanced, expert, OR I put the years or months of experience as appropriate.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    See the guy that was reviewing it said he wanted more detail, like what I've actually done, and said that "XXX experience with XXX platform" is too vague.

rfalias on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is the work experience on there the only one you have? You should put at least a couple. You can put volunteer or side projects as well as work experience. I can understand why the guy wanted more concrete examples of where you picked up these skills. Is it all from the one job?

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    Is the work experience on there the only one you have? You should put at least a couple. You can put volunteer or side projects as well as work experience. I can understand why the guy wanted more concrete examples of where you picked up these skills. Is it all from the one job?

Well, its actually 2 companies listed there, but the same location and title, there was just a uh, take over?

No other job is relevant to that field, I can't imagine them wanting to see my life lessons learned while digging a ditch o_O

Edit: I also think I'm going to just do a crash course on linux+, or perhaps self study if anyone has any good ideas for that...
    It would at least look better than self-taught

rfalias on
  • Options
    EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    rfalias wrote: »
    No other job is relevant to that field, I can't imagine them wanting to see my life lessons learned while digging a ditch o_O

From my experience it doesn't matter if your work experience is relevant or not, you put it on your resume. Two resumes with everything identical aside from one with more work experience is often deemed more 'employable', it shows you've gotten off your butt and broke your back digging ditches or cleaning toilets to earn cash. It also gives more character references to choose from if they want.

It's looking pretty decent otherwise though, good luck!

Edilith on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you really dug ditches... that could be a great thing to put on a resume.
    Its such a cliche that I would think it would make one thing "holy fuck, this guy actually did this? Man, thats not a job you can just be lazy in."

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If you really dug ditches... that could be a great thing to put on a resume.
    Its such a cliche that I would think it would make one thing "holy fuck, this guy actually did this? Man, thats not a job you can just be lazy in."

Haha, well I did!
    Dug ditches for laying irrigation pipe, holes for trees, laid mulch, sod, watered plants, trimmed trees...

It was on and off before I went to college, then when I got out I started again... I mean cumulative time is likely over 2 years doing that, but I don't have like set dates... How do I put that on there?

rfalias on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Edilith wrote: »
    rfalias wrote: »

It also gives more character references to choose from if they want.

Agreed. I put my Lift Truck Certification on all my resumes including office jobs, just as an item to discuss at the interview to show my wide range of skills.

Besides, ditch digging requires teamwork, safety awareness, and clear communication, right?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Does it matter that it was for my fathers landscaping business at all?
    Edit: And how do I describe landscaping to sound awesome, like I built self aware robots instead of flung sod around and talked a lot of shit

rfalias on