As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I posted in the AC and all I got was this stupid [CHAT]

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Have you ever downloaded from Amazon, napp? What's the bitrate on those mp3's?

Tam on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I actually just downloaded a song from Amazon the other day (for the first time). Bit rate was 256.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am proud to say that I have never paid for an MP3. All the money I can afford goes into CDs.

That said, Amazon says their mp3's are encoded at 256 kbps.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Good enough for me. I don't think I can really tell beyond 192, though people have told me you need a good sound system to really hear the difference. I don't even have speakers, just my Sennheiser earbuds.

Tam on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Muse. Origin of Symmetry was amazing. Absolution was shitty. I think there was one in between that was mostly good. I forget.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Muse. Origin of Symmetry was amazing. Absolution was shitty. I think there was one in between that was mostly good. I forget.

Orgin was their second, Absolution their third and Black Holes & Revelations their 4th. They Stuck a B-sides/live and another live album in their somehow.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106018 .
    Makes me really wish the last recording we have of my mom singing could be better quality than a tape made in 1969.

lyrium on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    lyrium wrote: »
    I have these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106018 .
    Makes me really wish the last recording we have of my mom singing could be better quality than a tape made in 1969.

I have those as well, I love em, they have a nice tight bass and not all boomy and sloppy like other headphones.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah the only complaints I ever found for them was that they are pretty tight on the ears. My tiny ears have not yet complained.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah the only complaints I ever found for them was that they are pretty tight on the ears. My tiny ears have not yet complained.

They only hurt my right ear... which as given me a complex in that maybe my right ear is bigger than my left D:

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    @MP3 quality. I can tell depending on the song... It needs to have a full range of bass and trebel (high hats/cymbals are the most noticeable tell for me...)

That said, I very rarely care about the quality as long as its above 192kbs

@sennheiser: They make fantastic headphones. I wish i hadn't just settled for what Best Buy carried when my sennheiser pair broke at college.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    srsizzy wrote: »
    I feel like I would hate the south if I ever went there.

It has its pros and cons. I'm always up for an "Ask a Honky" session if anyone cares to.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    what a dayyyyyyyyyyyyyy ughhh one more traumatizing day left before I plunge into hell

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Do you think it would be a lot easier to get work as a children's book illustrator if I write the story myself and just take it to the publisher as one complete project?

lyrium on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Do you think it would be a lot easier to get work as a children's book illustrator if I write the story myself and just take it to the publisher as one complete project?
    I would say so.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I would imagine that the publisher would prefer receiving a completed book as opposed to trying to match up with a writer. They product would be on the shelves and making money faster.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited August 2009
    hmm

Obviously I'm not at the point where I could do that yet, but I like to write and draw, and I kind of don't want to go back to school...

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The good thing about a childrens book is that they don't have to be amazingly complicated. Sometimes a cute/sweet heartwarming story and art to match is more than enough.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited August 2009
    I feel like I would hate the south if I ever went there.

It has its pros and cons. I'm always up for an "Ask a Honky" session if anyone cares to.

probably end up hating the people

the land however

well you'd have to be one massive cunt

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited August 2009
    the nicer sennheisers posted above are only $10 more. then again, I could never subject my ears to those little things jabbing into them, so I'm biased. I tend to think, though, that over-the-ears sound nicer in general, and what they lose in portability they make up for in comfort and annoying other people.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I agree that over ear sounds better, but they're rather awkward/ clunky for listening on the way to class. Not to mention they make it impossible to hear anyone trying to say "hello!" I'm just looking for some cheap headphones that still sound balanced.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited August 2009
    My earbuds are really comfortable- I don't notice them at all and they do a superb job of keeping noise out without active noise cancelling. The only thing bad about them is if I pull them out too quickly, my ears pop. I can't speak to comparative quality though- never having owned a good pair of over ears, but reviews seem to suggest they give you a bigger, richer sound.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I've personally had problems with earbuds in the past (all ways falling out/ sounding awful/ breaking) but I've never had a pair of sennheiser's before. And the twist-to-fit mechanism seems interesting enough.

hmm...

I kind of wish I could get the px100 for 20 bucks again...

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I agree that over ear sounds better, but they're rather awkward/ clunky for listening on the way to class. Not to mention they make it impossible to hear anyone trying to say "hello!" I'm just looking for some cheap headphones that still sound balanced.
    well, whatever you get's gonna break (in my experience, all headphones I've had have), but I do remember I got some good in-the-ear ones, the ones with the long rubber ends that help stop sound from getting in, a la link. I didn't know they made $200 versions of these. I guess those ones must be pretty good.

srsizzy on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    I agree that over ear sounds better, but they're rather awkward/ clunky for listening on the way to class. Not to mention they make it impossible to hear anyone trying to say "hello!".

Compensate for the lack of auditory cues in your environment by upping your visual ability to see things warranting your attention via those mirrored inside spy sunglasses they used to give away in cereal boxes.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    My tiny ears that make over-ears more comfortable make ear buds feel like torture instruments.
    Since they're going to be for going to/from class, Napp, you might want to go for that second pair because they look like they will be easier to hastily fold up and shove in to a pocket.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If the rubber bits act at all like the skull candy headphones I had last year (they seem to look the same) they don't fit my ear well at all. I'm actually not too concerned about sound getting in, I'd in fact, rather it did so, like I said, I'll know when people are talking to me.

@Bacon: You sir, are a genius.

@Lyrium: That is a good point, being placed in my pocket would be ideal.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited August 2009
    When I got my headphones my friend asked me why I didn't get skullcandy ones. Aside from them being less durable, I pointed out that it matters how you want it to affect your interactions with strangers. With skullcandy headphones, you lure people in to chat with you about how awesome looking your headphones are. My sennheisers, on the other hand, give me very pleasant musical isolation :)

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Skullcandys are shit. They just put pretty plastic on ten dollar headphones.

Napp: I got these

the bass is pretty strong in them

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hahaha, yeah, skull candies to make a nice statement. If only their quality matched their style :)

pre-posting edit: though it would be rather nice to have some ladies compliment me on my headphones lol.

post-posting edit: Well, I ordered the earbuds, I'll let you know how they are when they arrive.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was suggested to get Skullcandies one day, but it wouldn't matter how nice the headphones are, I don't want to look like a decoration from a Tony Hawk game.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The ladies who know what they're talking about will compliment your Sennheisers.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Tam wrote: »

Napp: I got these

the bass is pretty strong in them

By strong do you mean overpowering, or exactly what you wanted?

I only ask because 90% of headphones I've gotten have way more bass than I want them to have.

Also, how do those things feel in your ears? I had a pair similar to that and they felt wretched.

@Lyrium: Don't get my hopes up :P

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited August 2009
    I had ear buds, I bought them to use on flights to visit the parents when I lived in NYC. I couldn't stand the ear bud design... it always felt like I had a head cold and my ears were stopped up.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Also, how do those things feel in your ears? I had a pair similar to that and they felt wretched.
    I didn't mind that design as much as I would the same thing but with the plastic headband (I don't know why). If you put in the right size ear plug (they have a couple), then it should fit fine. then again, I have pretty huge ears, so I don't know. I liked them because the material is pretty flexible so it molds to your ear rather than just jabs right in there, and I think that's the big difference between these and other ear plug phones..

srsizzy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I didn't mind that design as much as I would the same thing but with the plastic headband (I don't know why). If you put in the right size ear plug (they have a couple), then it should fit fine. then again, I have pretty huge ears, so I don't know. I liked them because the material is pretty flexible so it molds to your ear rather than just jabs right in there, and I think that's the big difference between these and other ear plug phones..

Well, these were the earbud skull candy's I had http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-S2INBT-UB-INKD-Earbuds-Black/dp/B0023RRNPS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1249362370&sr=8-3

They seem to be the same basic design (for resting in the ear) but maybe there is something different I don't know about them.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've got a pair of Sony buds I've had for about 4 years, I'm too frightened to get anything new because these are so damn comfortable and I can get a passable amount of bass out of them.

Mustang on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Orgin was their second, Absolution their third and Black Holes & Revelations their 4th. They Stuck a B-sides/live and another live album in their somehow.

Oh that's right. Yeah I didn't like Showbiz, it was a little bit too... Radiohead-Lite for me. Absolution was good. Black holes etc was craptacular bar a few tracks. The something awful review of that album was hilarious and accurate. It mentioned faberge eggs.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    partyyy wooooooo

Loomdun on
    splat
This discussion has been closed.