As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shoes for a wife who'd rather wear sandals

The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So my wife and I have begun walking/jogging around our neighborhood or in the local park. I'll take a jog and my wife will walk our dog while I do so. While walking isn't all that strenuous my wife is kind of heavy set and the routine of walking a few miles every other day in her sandals is not surprisingly leading to some very sore feet on her part. She has one pair of sneakers that she claims are worse to walk in than her sandals.

My wife has wide feet and a fairly low arch, which I don't think is helped by her avoidance of proper shoes. So, has anyone else out there had a similar issue or have ideas on good styles of shoes that might be a bit less constrictive but still offer better support/protection than sandals? I suppose I should note that my wife won't wear anything other than the standard between the toe sandals if she can manage it. I've thought about looking into Tabi style footwear but Amazon and other normal shopping sites don't seem to really have anything other than just the straight Tabi boots which are not what I'm after.

Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
The LandoStander on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A good insert might help her. I went to a running store near me and they helped me try a few based on my foot and the pains I was having.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You should try to find a wide shoe store. That being said, New Balance makes wide shoes that you don't have to custom-order (up to EEEEEE).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have rather wide feet too and I love Bare Traps - they make sandals and work-appropriate shoes, makes me happy inside.
    Columbia also made some decent sandals for, well, more sporty usage than the $5 walmart flipflops, as I recall from when I worked in shoes. Don't know what they're like these days, but 3 years ago a few customers swore they were the best sandals ever for being active in

ihmmy on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A little expensive, but these are supposed to be awesome. After some initial muscle soreness from the slightly different walking mechanics, they apparently strengthen your muscles well and her arch should naturally develop.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What about Teva's? They are basically sandals but actually have a supportive footbed.

I have flat feet and anything with decent arch support is/was really uncomfortable when I first put them on but it prevents a lot of foot and knee pain after walking around for a few hours. Now that I try to wear shoes with good inserts all the time they don't hurt anymore to put on and are starting to feel less weird. Ask her to stand around for about 5 minutes any time she puts shoes on, the discomfort from actually having arch support went away in that time period for me.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MBTs are great - pricey, but so comfortable. You can get sandals or shoes/trainers.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kistra wrote: »
    What about Teva's? They are basically sandals but actually have a supportive footbed.

I have flat feet and anything with decent arch support is/was really uncomfortable when I first put them on but it prevents a lot of foot and knee pain after walking around for a few hours. Now that I try to wear shoes with good inserts all the time they don't hurt anymore to put on and are starting to feel less weird. Ask her to stand around for about 5 minutes any time she puts shoes on, the discomfort from actually having arch support went away in that time period for me.

Tivas are what I was going to suggest as well. I've gone on many a hike with Tivas on, and while I think they're not exactly the most stylish kicks around, I really do like them for function over form.

Reckless on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You could also try Keens if you're looking for a closed shoe, they're really roomy and great for walking

Hypatia on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You should definitely go to a walking shoe store (or possibly a running shoe store if that's more convenient). In addition to their staff being able to possibly find a better-fitting tennis shoe for your wife's type of foot, they also tend to have lots of good trail sandals, like the Tevas or Keens mentioned.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BoomShake wrote: »
    A little expensive, but these are supposed to be awesome. After some initial muscle soreness from the slightly different walking mechanics, they apparently strengthen your muscles well and her arch should naturally develop.

These shoes have my vote. They're extremely comfortable, and quite durable. As was mentioned, they take a bit of getting used to. If you're going to do any running in them, avoid harder ground until you get comfortable with them. There's hardly any cushioning, so you can bruise your soles running on concrete in them.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not a fan of sandles or weird vibramfivefingers with no soles.

step 1: go to a shoe store - try on wide foot runners.
    step 2: repeat step 1 till you buy runners that fit properly

If anything someone carrying a heavy backpack or who is significantly overweight should be wearing hiking boots with ankle support, although I'll give her a pass since it's literally a walk in the park :P

Dman on