As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Batman:Arkham Asylum - Out Now (PS3/360) Not Out Now (PC/EU/AU damnit)

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What has two thumbs and just reserved and paid off Arkham Asylum in full?

:^:This guy.:^:

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    From, the looks of things, that would probably be game breaking, since there is some level of metroidvania style progression going on.

Well there's stuff you can "buy" with points you gain from beating people to a pulp, but I don't think it ever becomes as much of an investment as Castlevania or Metroid.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    From, the looks of things, that would probably be game breaking, since there is some level of metroidvania style progression going on.

Well there's stuff you can "buy" with points you gain from beating people to a pulp, but I don't think it ever becomes as much of an investment as Castlevania or Metroid.

There are certain gadgets you get that give you new abilities. Ala High Jump Boots or whatever.

BlueDestiny on
  • InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    I blame this demo and this thread for forcing a B:TAS resurgence involving me, all my season dvds, and long late nights.

This really was the best damn cartoon that ever existed. I had forgotten how perfectly they nailed it.

Same here man, I've been watching a few episodes every night. But in no particular order, just whatever my favorites are. Watched Phantasm last night. I've got all the Timmverse sets except for Justice League season 1, I remember that one not being so hot. But maybe I'll pick it up for completionist's sake one day.

The initial story arcs of season one were pretty horrid, but they started getting good once you hit the last four arcs of the season - Legends(the "JSA without being the JSA" episode), A Knight of Shadows(with the Demon), Metamorphasis(Metamorpho), and The Savage Time(Vandal Savage, and the Blackhawks and Sgt.Rock). Most of the rest of the season could be safely never watched again.

Interpreter on
    edited August 2009

There are certain gadgets you get that give you new abilities. Ala High Jump Boots or whatever.

I don't think there will be enough content to unlock to break the game without a New Game+ option. There's obviously some, but I wouldn't expect it to be a huge loss

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2009
    I think Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow handled it well. You could keep all your items and powers on a new game+ except for those that let you go to new areas and are held by bosses.

BlueDestiny on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does anyone know if the boxed copy of Arkham Asylum will ship with a Steam key? I'm thinking about preordering it on Steam, but I kind of also want the CE.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I don't think there will be enough content to unlock to break the game without a New Game+ option. There's obviously some, but I wouldn't expect it to be a huge loss

The GI review actually talked about a good amount of backtracking and exploration... it could well break the game.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Do you guys have any idea how long this game is supposed to be? Budget is tight and it's really not a game I envision myself playing through more than once.

Judging by the type of game, I would assume 8-10hrs. Possibly shorter if you charge through it. but I've spent an hr or so with the 15min Demo, so I take my time.

Anyone know if there's going to be a new game + type? Like, start the game off with the best gadgets and take downs and ass kickings?

Nope, no New Game+

I've heard 12 hours bounced around. Not sure if that includes challenges and the like.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »

The GI review actually talked about a good amount of backtracking and exploration... it could well break the game.

Out of curiosity, what did they give it? My issue hasn't come in yet.

UnbreakableVow on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    9.5... just hated on the final boss fight, really.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Damn...two publications with over a 9.0 score.

It'd be pretty crazy that there's never even been a Batman game before that was more than halfway-decent, if this became one of the best-reviewed games of the year.

UnbreakableVow on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cronus wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the boxed copy of Arkham Asylum will ship with a Steam key? I'm thinking about preordering it on Steam, but I kind of also want the CE.

I doubt it.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Or you can let the last guy kill you!

Dying is awesome. Joker goes all up in your face and says stuff.

I got one with Harley too.

I really hope though they didn't go too overboard with them. If I'm playing late one night, and after an unfortunate death Joker's head suddenly shoots up from a blank screen and contorts into that slasher grin of his with Mark Hamill doing his most insane laugh...

Well, I'm going to shit my pants then and there, throw the game disc into the freezer, and spend the remainder of the night shivering in the shower waiting for daylight to break.

The bolded part made me literally LOL. I imagined someone waking up and turning their head only to discover the AA disc gently lying on the pillow next to them, and then the screaming begins.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Guys, I can't stop playing the first fight with the thugs. Destroying their joints/bones is just so...satisfying. And the predator room...makes me giggle with glee. This is terribly awesome.

Glocjt on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you play around with the ini files you can enable a couple things that don't really work right because they're missing data, since it's just the demo. there's like an environment scanning mode where you hold the detective mode button instead of tapping it. 99% of the time it'll say something like no objects found, but when you beat zsasz and do it by his door, it says "object obscured" instead. Also you can get broken Riddler challenge text to pop up. As soon as you enter a new area it'll give you a Riddler challenge, probably either telling you how many question marks to find or giving you a riddle about where to find the thing or something.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Is the lack of a New Game+ feature mentioned?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I watched the JLU episode "Kids Stuff" yesterday. Man, even as a kid Batman is still a badass.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I love how in JLU Wonder Woman is all trying to sex him up and Bats is just like "No sexy tme. Need the time to brood. Go away vile temptress".

LockedOnTarget on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I love how in JLU Wonder Woman is all trying to sex him up and Bats is just like "No sexy tme. Need the time to brood. Go away vile temptress".

His (shitty) reasoning is included in the episode where WW gets...uh...turned into a pig.

Oh, and Batman sings I Am Blue to a nightclub filled with spirits/deities/etc.

Lets move on.

Raynaga on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The early episodes of JLU had me convinced that the show had jumped the shark.

Then the Cadmus arc hit and everything was awesome.

subedii on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

His (shitty) reasoning is included in the episode where WW gets...uh...turned into a pig.

Lets move on.

Great episode.

Professor Phobos on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Lets move on.

Great episode.

Kevin Conroy has a wonderful singing voice

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited August 2009
    Yup, that's the one.

Raynaga on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Lets move on.

Great episode.

Kevin Conroy has a wonderful singing voice

was there ever an elseworlds comic where batman was a crime-fighting blues singer? because there should be.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As great as Batman TAS and the JLU were (and are), I always felt like the Superman animated series was criminally under-rated. The best depictions of Lex and Lois I've ever seen, countless inventive reworkings of overwrought characters, and a fierce and full-throated argument that calling him just a Boy Scout is criminally lazy writing.

The demo was pretty damn nice, even if I can't consistently get the B+Y combat takedown to trigger every time I get a 5 hit combo. What's the secret?

NaturalNarcissist on
    edited August 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    The early episodes of JLU had me convinced that the show had jumped the shark.

Then the Cadmus arc hit and everything was awesome.
    What? Really? I thought they were all really fun episodes for the most part. "Kids Stuff" just reminded me of that last night.

EDIT: Also word going around that Walmart in Canada will be selling AA for $38.83.

PS3

360 Dashboard Spotlight ad that was mysteriously removed:
    img2950zgc.jpg

There was supposed to be a Walmart announcement tomorrow on the 360 about AA, and that was probably it. Looks like I might be canceling my preorder at EB.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    40$? sick! that will surely sweeten the deal.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the Superman animated series was criminally under-rated.

YES.

Superman: TAS is a fantastic show and needs more love.

And holy crap, 40 bucks for a new game in Canada is a steal. I'm totally buying this from Wal-Mart now.

LockedOnTarget on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Lets move on.

Thats one of my favorite episodes of the entire run! "Face it, you're royalty, I just a rich kid with issues... it'd never work out."

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »

Lets move on.

Thats one of my favorite episodes of the entire run! "Face it, you're royalty, I just a rich kid with issues... it'd never work out."

Bats: "My enemies..."
    WW crushes the head of the gargoyle she's leaning against with her bare hand: "Won't be a problem."

Seriously. Bats was looking for an excuse to not get into a relationship.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I always preferred the Batman/WW pairing to the WW/Superman thing that seems more common. Wonder Womans powers with Batmans Batmaness in a child? Would be awesome.

DarkWarrior on
    edited August 2009
    Weren't all of Wonder Woman's powers due to the "armor" she wears?

BlueDestiny on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Weren't all of Wonder Woman's powers due to the "armor" she wears?

I think it depends on what you're watching, or what you're reading. In Timm's DCAU, the Amazonians are super powered inherently.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought, at least in the AU, WW was more powerful than a regular amazon though due to how she was created or whatever. Wasn't she Ares daughter as well? Or some gods.

She retains her powers sans armour so can't be based on that. Though obviously shes one of the few women who can pass the barrier that comes with sleeping with Superman.

DarkWarrior on
    edited August 2009
    Even as a kid, he's pimpin':
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qqyGVCv9rM

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Even as a kid, he's pimpin'

Don't blame me, blame the internet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ87tZiYBuU&NR=1

Edit: Wow, I went back and watched that video. No seriously, give it a chance and know that if you don't cry at some point then you will never know love.

Never! Never ever, ever!

Caveman Paws on
    edited August 2009
    I guess I'm dying alone. I couldn't make it past the first 30 seconds.

Raynaga on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Since we're not really talking about AA anymore anyway, where does one start with the Justice League cartoons? Aren't there two different series or something like that? Do they follow the continuity of Batman the Animated Series, or are they standalone?

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So right after I broke a guy's arm with a combat takedown, one of his buddies yelled "you hit like a girl!"

So I broke his arm.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png