As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E] IC/OOC - Dungeon Delve - Surprise!

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Haha. Are you also up studying for finals, or do you just not have anything else you're doing?

3cl1ps3 on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The second one. I graduated in May, and just dont have anything else to do currently.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    [Old Person]Get a job, hippie![/Old Person]

3cl1ps3 on
    edited December 2009
    But... I have a job at best buy, because I'm terrible. Hopefully I hear something back from my real interview tomorrow.

kuhlmeye on
    edited December 2009
    Sweet deal on the real interview, good luck man!

3cl1ps3 on
    edited December 2009
    Thank you very much. I could really use a real job.

kuhlmeye on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    "Orcs," Dulran says, squinting. Although he hadn't ever dealt with them personally, he had certain opinions formed about them and their treatment of the land. "Show us to this house. We will deal with them."

Denada on
  • soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    "Well, it appears we are already bound to work for you Mr. Undercloak, so let us see what we can do about this Orc problem."

soxbox on
    edited December 2009
    I'm ready to move on whenever everyone else is.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited December 2009
    Alright then, its just a matter of me finding time in the near future to update. I'm starting a new job on Wednesday, but hopefully I can get an update up before then.

kuhlmeye on
    edited December 2009
    I failed my promise. I shall update either tonight, or on my lunch break. I've been busy learning stuff for my real job.

kuhlmeye on
    edited December 2009
    Pock looks approvingly at the other members of the group. "Well, nice to know some of you are interested in helping. You'll find the mayor's building further up the road. He should be outside with a small contingent of our guard." Thane smiles as the group makes it way out of the room.

The entire town appears to be in a state of panic on the streets. They had always expected their guard to help keep them safe, but apparently the orks were sneakier than expected. As you make your way up the road, a house larger than the others in town starts to make it's way into view. As you approach, you see a small makeshift guard camp outside the house. A group of maybe 5 guards stand around a pile of boxes looking anxious. Mixed in with the guard are about 3 other residents of town, two male, one female. One of the males is dressed like any of the other residents of Xorhun you've seen so far. The other male and female look... nicer. They aren't dressed as "nobles", or as high society, but they do appear to look slightly better groomed and clothed than the others in the town. The guards turn their attention to you as you approach.

Sorry this is kind of poor update. Starting the new job has been slightly more stressing than I had expected.

kuhlmeye on
    edited December 2009
    Eran approaches the nobles. "Greetings my noble friends! I am Eran Dynmor, mercenary extraordinaire. These fine fellows are my companions." Eran waves dismissively towards the rest of the party. "We have heard word that you have some sort of minor pest problem, and that perhaps my skills may be of some use." Eran sniffs at the air. "Orcs? Yes, definitely the stench of orc. Yes, that's definitely something we'd be qualified for."

No problems - go at your own pace - I'm not going to go crazy because I don't get to pretend to be an elf as often as I'd like.

soxbox on
    edited December 2009
    Ok then. After reviewing my schedule for the upcoming week, I think the best course of action is going to be declaring a short game break. I know I'm going to be super busy up until at least Sunday and trying to make updates in that time would be ridiculous. In no way is this game ending, we'll take a short Christmas vacation.

kuhlmeye on
    edited January 2010
    Just checking in on where things are at here. No pressure if you're still under strain with your new job, just curious when things might kick back into gear.

soxbox on
    edited January 2010
    I, also, was wondering. No pressure though!

3cl1ps3 on
    edited January 2010
    Well, my life after starting the new job is settling down. Sorry for not updating for so long, I didn't want to do an update where I wouldn't be able to start all the way back up again. Look forward to an update either tonight or tomorrow sometime!

kuhlmeye on
    edited January 2010
    Passive Perception: 15Scoping out the house as you approach the outpost, you make sure to look in the second floor windows. From where you are you can barely make out the shadows of archers in the windows.

The gathering turns to the approaching adventurers, seemingly surprised at the sudden approach of 5 well equipped warriors. The guards standing around look almost relieved that someone else has arrived to handle the situation. The more "noble" looking of the men standing around smiles at you as you approach the small outpost.

"Greetings to you, Eran, though I would hardly call myself noble. I was hoping your group would come to my assistance, as our town guard here is slightly under-equipped for this type of threat." He gestures to the guard around him. "Ah right, nearly forgot, I am Tyrn Andro, and it is my home you will be reclaiming. My Guard Captain Nathan can bring you all up to speed." He motions to one of the guard members, and he steps forward slightly before addressing the group.

"Well, its a small band orcs that managed to sneak in early this morning, and despite their size, my team is still ill-equipped to handle the threat. We are lucky you were in here." He gives the group a slight nod as he says this, and you all recognize it as a sign of respect. "We don't know much about the band of orcs, as Tyrn did an excellent job of getting himself and the others in the building out through a window before the orcs could capture them. This has left us unsure of their numbers, though it can't be more than 20. If there is anything more you need to know before you take action, let me know."

Ok then. Lets take a little time, get our bearings, and see who else is still with us. Feel free to ask questions while we are restarting.

kuhlmeye on
    edited January 2010
    "Do any of them seem to be particularly well equipped, or carrying any sort of magical equipment?"

3cl1ps3 on
    edited January 2010
    "What can you tell us of the layout of Mr. Andro's abode? How did the orcs make their entrance? Do you have any defenses against intruders that the orcs may use against us?".

Eran trails off as he notices the movements at the windows and glances as the boxes around them. "Perhaps we should set up some bowmen out here trained on those windows - a well placed shot or two will thin their numbers and perhaps give them pause before paying too much attention to what's going on out here. Tiriara here could probably give a few umm... pointers." Eran smiles self-satisfyingly at his ever so clever wordplay.

soxbox on
    edited January 2010
    Dulran listens to the proceedings quietly, watching the manor for more signs of activity.

Active Perception: 1d20+12 24 to see if I can spot anything else in or around the house.

Denada on
    edited January 2010
    Dulran, Perception: 24
    Looking at the house from this distance (~250ft) you are able to make out about 5 orcs stationed at the 2nd floor windows. They appear to be watching the approach to the house.

At Eran's string of questions, Tyrn snaps at what you can only assume to be his assistant, saying "Maps!" The assistant runs off to town in search of parchment and something to write with. Tyrn then turns back to the group, "My assistant will be providing maps shortly to assist you. I can tell you, however, that defenses against intruders would have helped greatly this morning." He gives a look up at the house, then continues. "Something like this has never happened before, so defenses on the homes in particular seemed unnecessary. Most of the house was asleep when they made their way in, so we don't know exactly how they entered the house. Hopefully you can make an assessment on that while you're inside."

Nathan speaks up at this point, "We are unsure of their weaponry. We know at the very least they have archers," he says as he motions to the ground in front of the home. You now notice the ground is littered with arrows. "They have been keeping a close guard on the front grounds, making sure we can't get closer to the house than this. Other than the bows, we just don't know what they have in terms of equipment." Finally, he turns back to Eran, "If you have someone who can accurately shoot an arrow to those windows, be my guest."

I'll have a rough map of the interior of the house for you later tonight, as I'm at work currently

kuhlmeye on
    edited January 2010
    Tanir considers the house. "I may be able to get to the front of the house undetected, if needs be."

Any word on whether Arivia and Interrobang are still alive?

3cl1ps3 on
    edited January 2010
    Not sure yet, we'll give it some time, and hopefully they will pop up in the thread soon!

kuhlmeye on
    edited January 2010
    Sorry dudes, I lied about maps tonight, due to beers w/ co-workers. Hopefully I'll have it tomorrow.

kuhlmeye on
    edited January 2010
    It's not the maps that hurt, it's the lies. When will the lying stop?

Arivia and Interrobang are still about the forum - I've PM'd them both just to make sure that they didn't lose their subscription in the great christmas disaster of '09.

soxbox on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Heavens, I was thinking this would never get back off the ground. Welcome back, everyone!

interrobang on
    edited January 2010
    Excellent, now we just need Arivia. And if she's not around replacing one person isn't so bad (especially a Striker). Yay for being able to keep playing!

Denada on
    edited January 2010
    The aide comes running back from in town, his errand taking longer than anyone had expected. You spent the time going over the details with Nathan one more time, wishing he had known more about what had happened here. The aide hands his hand drawn map to Nathan, who gives a slight scowl. "Well, it's certainly not pretty, but it'll have to do for now."

He lays the map down over one of the crates sitting nearby so you all can see the details. "Due to the house being build on a hill, the effect you see of there being multiple stories is more of an illusion than anything else. Spread out, with a courtyard in the front, with the main entrance on the south wall of the east side of the building." With that he leaves you to sort out a plan.

Behold my MSPaint skilllllz
    Map
    BuildingMap.png

I can field any questions about the house, as the aide and the mayor both have a great knowledge of the place. I'll let you know now that the approach to the house will be a skill challenge to get us back in the groove.

kuhlmeye on
    edited January 2010
    Eran ponders over the map before him. "Walking through that courtyard looks like it would be quite an effective way to earn yourself a peppering of arrows. There doesn't appear to be much visibility on the northern approach though - what's back there? Other buildings? I say we get your men to make some form of distraction out the front here while we make our way around north, duck down the eastern side of the house and straight through the front door."

"What's that outcropping on the western side of the house? Another entry? Hmmm.... Or perhaps we may wish to scale the roof and make our entrance through the windows of that tower?"

I take it that small square in the middle is a tower of some sort?

soxbox on
    edited January 2010
    It functions as the aide's quarters. The aide tells you the outcropping on the western side is a pantry. The north side of the house faces out to the wilderness, with significantly less windows than the southern side of the house.

kuhlmeye on
    edited January 2010
    "It appears the opposite side of the manor is our best bet. There must be an entry point we can use there. If the guards here can create a distraction, we may be able to slip in undetected."

Denada on
    edited January 2010
    Nathan nods at Dulran's suggestion. "Indeed, the front doors probably aren't your best bet. We might be able to create a distraction for you, give you some time to get out of sight." Nathan looks over at his guards, "You men can do that, can't you?" They all nod, prepared to help.

If Arivia doesn't pop at some point before Sunday, I'll look into finding a replacement if everyone else is ok with that.

kuhlmeye on
    edited February 2010
    Unfortunately, the deadline I set is up. I have a replacement lined up for Arivia, and we'll be bringing in a new character shortly, though for now you all have a new goal.

GET TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HOUSE

So, this will be sort of like a skill challenge, though not really. I'm not a big fan of giving you 5-6 different skills you can roll to get there, I'd rather have you roll something you feel is applicable to the situation. So, the details: you need to get to the back of the house. If you can properly justify a roll, it will count. It will take 2 successful checks to make it behind the house. It'll run similar to an encounter, eg. Everyone roll a check, I'll do an update, so on and so forth. Initiative will be set by order of first come first serve. You can make checks to aid another as a minor action, all other checks take a standard action. Since you asked the guards to make a distraction for you, you all gain a +2 bonus to stealth checks while you are in front of the house.

kuhlmeye on
    edited February 2010
    Dulran shifts into the form of a large black cat, hoping the shape will better hide him in the shadows. He does his best to silently slink around to the other side of the house, giving the others a little space in case he doesn't do a great job.

Stealth: 1d20+3+2 14

Denada on
    edited February 2010
    Tanir blends into the shadows surrounding the house, his black robes swirling about him as he vanishes from sight.

Stealth: 1d20+12=20

3cl1ps3 on
    edited February 2010
    Eran watches as the others disappear into the shadows then looks down at his shiny new chainmail and takes a few steps to hear the chain links rattle together. If he can't be silent, at least he can be fast... well usually anyway.

Athletics: 1d20+9 12

soxbox on
    edited February 2010
    If interrobang doesn't show up soonish, would someone mind rolling a check for Sonna?

kuhlmeye on
    edited February 2010
    I'm gonna get the ball rolling here. I went a head and rolled for Sonna. Athletics: 1d20+7 25

As the group dashes off towards the side of the building, the guards move into position to draw fire from the orcs watching the windows. Most of the arrows fly their way, though some head towards the group headed around the house.

Sonna: Athletics: Success As she dashes around the house, she manages to avoid drawing fire from any of the orcs.

Eran: Athletics: Fail Eran manages to draw fire from one of the orcs as he makes his way around the house. Luckily, he manages to dodge the arrow as it flies towards him, and he continues unhindered.
    15 Vs. AC - Miss

Tanir: Stealth: Success Tanir manages to slip into the shadows, avoiding drawing any attention from the guards in the windows.

Dulran: Stealth: Fail Dulrans attempt to hide in the foliage surrounding the house isn't met with as much success, as an arrow flies towards him. It falls harmlessly feet in front him, and no more fly in his direction.
    13 Vs. AC - Miss

Alright, we are going to skip the rest of the "challenge", as my orcs are as dumb as rocks. My idea for that didn't execute as well as I had hoped. They don't spot you as you head the rest of the way around the house, and no more arrows are fired at you.

As you round the corner of the house, you find the back of the house looks over a hill down to a plain that stretches out before your eyes. The hill is fairly heavily vegetated, with tall grass and shrubs spotting the hillside. The backside of the house is fairly unimpressive, and lacks the amount of windows that the front had. You would guess that none of the orcs know you made it back here.

Now that we are back here, our new character shall be joining us, and I'll let him introduce himself!

kuhlmeye on
    edited February 2010
    Tanir coalesces from the shadows, dark cloak making his form seem indistinct against the darkness. "Well. We are here. How do we proceed?"

3cl1ps3 on